or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 5

post #121 of 679
I just installed a RoamioPro to replace a series3/TivoHD. So far I like it very much. Much faster processor so navigating is a snap. 6 tuners is amazing and some nice new bells and whistles with streaming and the ipad app
post #122 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

Any more reviews from those who have recently received a base Roamio?


I have been keeping an eye on the Roamio's forum at TiVo and so far so good.The device self-upgrades (up to 3TB) which is a nice benefit of the new series.

post #123 of 679
I love mine, been watching a few OTA recordings and a lot of 1080p tv show downloads from Amazon.
post #124 of 679
I've had my Tivo basic for two weeks now. I love it !! The biggest surprise for me was the fact that my two boxes are hooked up together. In other words you can watch recordings from either box. My Roamio replaced my channel master 7000 PAL. The Roamio had a great tuner. It pulls in the distant stations great with little drop outs. The only negative thing I have to say is Tivo should have put in a larger hard drive. But since you can transfer recordings to my other Tivo I can work around the HD. I may later put in a bigger drive but will wait until warranty expires.


SS-Stingray
post #125 of 679
Thanks for feedback. I ordered yesterday, and it has been shipped. Will arrive next Wednesday per tracking.
post #126 of 679
Have they offered a promo code yet for Lifetime subscription with the new model? Or is there any discount on purchase of the Roamio or subscription if you currently have a Premiere with Lifetime plan?
post #127 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

I've had my Tivo basic for two weeks now. I love it !! The biggest surprise for me was the fact that my two boxes are hooked up together. In other words you can watch recordings from either box. My Roamio replaced my channel master 7000 PAL. The Roamio had a great tuner. It pulls in the distant stations great with little drop outs. The only negative thing I have to say is Tivo should have put in a larger hard drive. But since you can transfer recordings to my other Tivo I can work around the HD. I may later put in a bigger drive but will wait until warranty expires.


SS-Stingray
I am glad to hear more reports that the Roamio tuner is very good. The Premiere tuner had problems with multipath and error correction, and did not grab onto weaker signals as well as other tuners.
post #128 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Have they offered a promo code yet for Lifetime subscription with the new model? Or is there any discount on purchase of the Roamio or subscription if you currently have a Premiere with Lifetime plan?

TiVo has always offered $100 off lifetime if you already have a unit with lifetime. I think they calll it the multiservice rate.
post #129 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post

TiVo has always offered $100 off lifetime if you already have a unit with lifetime.
Doesn't have to be lifetime. Just an active account in good standing.
post #130 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Doesn't have to be lifetime. Just an active account in good standing.
Yes, it's just too bad they've jacked the LS up to $500.
post #131 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, it's just too bad they've jacked the LS up to $500.
But they did that by lowering the base price of the box so it's just a trade-off -- meaningless, actually since you should be looking at the total price of the DVR.
When the TiVo HD came out it cost $300 for the box + $400 for lifetime = $700 complete.
The Premier came out at $100 for the box + $500 for lifetime = $600 complete -- a $100 price drop
The Roamio is $200 for the box + $500 for lifetime = $700 complete -- same as a TiVo HD but with 4 tuners and a 500 GB HDD along with the rest of the newer features.

So basically the package price has remained the same while the feature set has greatly improved.
post #132 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

But they did that by lowering the base price of the box so it's just a trade-off -- meaningless, actually since you should be looking at the total price of the DVR.
When the TiVo HD came out it cost $300 for the box + $400 for lifetime = $700 complete.
The Premier came out at $100 for the box + $500 for lifetime = $600 complete -- a $100 price drop
The Roamio is $200 for the box + $500 for lifetime = $700 complete -- same as a TiVo HD but with 4 tuners and a 500 GB HDD along with the rest of the newer features.

So basically the package price has remained the same while the feature set has greatly improved.
Yes, I hadn't thought of it that way. With the 4/6 tuners per unit it's actually a better deal as you're only paying the 1 subscription, whereas with the older units you'd be paying double or triple that subscription cost.
post #133 of 679
It has been $400 for a long time with coupon code PLSR when you activate service, but you need to get the box somewhere other tivo.com to use it.
post #134 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It has been $400 for a long time with coupon code PLSR when you activate service, but you need to get the box somewhere other tivo.com to use it.
Yes, I have 2 Lifetimes now so I'd get the $400 price anyway. I've been trying to convince myself I need the Roamio, but practically speaking, the Series 3 and TiVo HD I have are doing what I need them to do, and if I were to get the Roamio the resale of the 2 I have is likely even less now than it was a month ago.

The Roamio would save some shelf space, power use and 2 less CableCARD fees though, so maybe. biggrin.gif
post #135 of 679
I have not seen this brought up -- do the Roamios still buffer the tuners for only 30 min? Any option to change the buffer length?
post #136 of 679
I don't think this behavior has changed, nor does Tivo seem to care. There's lots of stuff that should be user-configurable but aren't.
post #137 of 679
If any of you owners want to compile a list to fill in the blanks for this new model based on the charts entries, PM me.
Actually, you can d/l a copy of the chart and add a new column, populate the squares save it and forward it back to me.
post #138 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

If any of you owners want to compile a list to fill in the blanks for this new model based on the charts entries, PM me.
Actually, you can d/l a copy of the chart and add a new column, populate the squares save it and forward it back to me.


What charts are you talking about ?
post #139 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

What charts are you talking about ?

his thread with charts that compare DVR's and his constant bashing of Tivo and his preaching to people not to buy it. Im sure the info he will get from this thread will be impartial rolleyes.gif
post #140 of 679
I've been using the base Roamio since release. Upgraded from a premier. Love it.

There are lots of reviews on amazon to check out. Anyone has specific questions, be glad to answer your queries
post #141 of 679
When setting up 2 Roamios and a Mini yesterday I found a couple of things that might have been useful to know in advance.

The setup screens for the Mini need to be updated. You will not be able to complete the Mini setup until a few things have been done and some time has elapsed.

I would suggest activating the Mini first if setting both a mini and a Roamio.Give the Mini its name during the activation process

Next Activate the Roamio and give it a name.

Go through the Roamio Setup.

Connect to TiVo from Network to pick up latest information.

Go to Account and System Settings and check that the Name you gave during Activation appears.

If it doesn't repeat the two steps above until it does.

Start the Mini setup and note if the name you gave during activation appears, if it doesn't remove power from the Mini and start the setup again.

Set up will either complete with the screen displaying the TiVos available for connection or a screen stating that no TiVos have been found for connection. Keep trying to connect every ten minutes or so until a TiVo is found. (This may take a while. While you are waiting you should have the Roamio connect to TiVo every ten minutes or so.)

Three things must have happened before the Mini can find the Roamio.

The Roamio must be activated.

The Mini must be activated.

The Roamio must pick up the Mini information from the TiVo Servers.

If you call TiVo support they will tell you may have to wait 24 to 48 hours for Activation to be completed.

Looks like server upgrade time for TiVo.

Now, if we could get a Roamio box that supported both Antenna and Cable concurrently....

What TiVo apparently doesn't understand is that with the advent of digital broadcasting there are multiple dot channels that are only available via antenna. The Cable Companies don't carry them. Any fan of old television will want to be able to receive and record many of these channels. I just finished returning "to those thrilling days of yesteryear" watching a couple of episodes of the Lone Ranger on Channel 4.2 here in Los Angeles.
post #142 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

What TiVo apparently doesn't understand is that with the advent of digital broadcasting there are multiple dot channels that are only available via antenna. The Cable Companies don't carry them. Any fan of old television will want to be able to receive and record many of these channels. I just finished returning "to those thrilling days of yesteryear" watching a couple of episodes of the Lone Ranger on Channel 4.2 here in Los Angeles.

Not only that, but the image quality via OTA is simply better. At my house we always watch the OTA channel instead of the equivalent Cable channel whenever possible. Static images or slow moving images look identical, but when there is fast motion the OTA image is far superior. I don't see myself giving up my four Premier XL's any time soon . . .
post #143 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

What TiVo apparently doesn't understand is that with the advent of digital broadcasting there are multiple dot channels that are only available via antenna. The Cable Companies don't carry them.Any fan of old television will want to be able to receive and record many of these channels. I just finished returning "to those thrilling days of yesteryear" watching a couple of episodes of the Lone Ranger on Channel 4.2 here in Los Angeles.

Bull. Channel 4.2 in LA is COZI TV. It is carried by a majority of cable systems that receive the main channel. [ALL Cox Southern California systems.] My Cox system also carries My TV, Me TV, V-Me, Antenna TV, This TV, Live Well Network, and assorted others. PLEASE don't make blanket statements like you did above.
post #144 of 679

No blanket statements allowed!? :D

 

Last one outa here please turn out the lights!

post #145 of 679
It came, it worked, it failed, it returned.

My Roamio came on Wednesday. Setup was great, I recorded one show, watched it, scheduled several more. Later on Thursday, it failed. Unit was locked on start up screen and randomly flashing the yellow LED that indicates it was receiving from the remote (it wasn't). A diagnostics/troubleshooting discussion with Tivo failed to reset it. I was very impressed with it for the 18 hours it worked.

It has gone back and I hope the replacement arrives before the fall (OTA) season really starts on Sep 23.
post #146 of 679
Does the basic Roamio provide for composit video and analog audio?

It appears that it does based on the Tivo website but looking at the back panel it doesn't have composit video.

My interest is so that on rare occasions, I can burn a DVD of a recording.
post #147 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Does the basic Roamio provide for composit video and analog audio?

It appears that it does based on the Tivo website but looking at the back panel it doesn't have composit video.

My interest is so that on rare occasions, I can burn a DVD of a recording.

It has a yellow RCA phono jack on the rear labeled composite. It apparently takes a three-way plug, composite video and left/right audio. You need a special cable. I did not experiment with it, and can't as my unit died and I'm waiting on replacement. I am NOT sure if it is active concurrently with HDMI port or is only active when you choose 480i resolution.

No point buying this kit as you can't use the component cables, but they offer this, yellow phono on one end, breaks out to yellow/red/white on the other.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable
post #148 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post

It has a yellow RCA phono jack on the rear labeled composite.
Actually it doesn't have a RCA phono jack on the back like the 2 more expensive models but with the cable you linked you should be able to offload things to a SD recorder. Your second point is interesting, Tivo has never before disabled outputs based on HDMI use or resolution setting but who knows with this model, Tivo has never before required a separate cable to access it's SD output.......
post #149 of 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Actually it doesn't have a RCA phono jack on the back like the 2 more expensive models but with the cable you linked you should be able to offload things to a SD recorder. Your second point is interesting, Tivo has never before disabled outputs based on HDMI use or resolution setting but who knows with this model, Tivo has never before required a separate cable to access it's SD output.......

It doesn't have component video jacks like the expensive models. See photo in post #11. The yellow thing between HDMI port and the Tivo logo is composite output, composite video + left/right audio. It is also clearly shown in Quick Start Guide and Viewer's manual
post #150 of 679
Can the Roamio step backwards a single frame at a time?

I am always frustrated in trying to find a particular frame with either my TivoHD or my DirecTV DVRs but have seen easy backward as well as forward stepping in a friend's cable DVR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams.