or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › I think I ruined my Denon AVR-4311 :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think I ruined my Denon AVR-4311 :(

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
by plugging in a cheap HDMI switch into port HDMI-7. The switch was foolishly plugged into a non approved power supply (little did I know until later that a power supply wasn't even needed to make the switch work)

anyway, all 7 Denon HDMI ports apparently died after this happened. I can still see the word "Denon" on my Sony TV screen for all inputs, and can see the Denon menus, but none of my devices show a picture, including 2 tivos, a Roku, a Boxee box a Blu Ray and an apple tv. The devices work fine when plugged directly into the Sony TVs internal HDMI ports


very strange indeed, Denon Tech support couldn't explain it after an hour of troubleshooting and a factory reset
mad.gif
post #2 of 22
That stinks. Do you get sound through the hdmi?
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
No picture or sound , all hdmi ports
post #4 of 22
HDMI jacks are very sensitive to electrical surges which is why electrical storms can take them out as well.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
is the thing worth repairing?
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

is the thing worth repairing?
Depends on the cost of repair versus need or want to upgrade but it sounds like a newer model with more HDMI inputs are needed.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

is the thing worth repairing?

I would think so as long as the cost is reasonable. There's not much difference between a 4311 and the 4520.

If you don't want to repair it, you could hdmi to the TV and toslink to the denon. You'll lose some of the higher end codecs, but in most cases, it's hard to tell a difference between them. It will require some extra clicks to switch.
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
I've already bought the AVR X4000 to replace it . Is it feasible to input a 4 port HDMI switch into one of the 7 HDMI ports, or am I looking for trouble if I try that again?
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

I've already bought the AVR X4000 to replace it . Is it feasible to input a 4 port HDMI switch into one of the 7 HDMI ports, or am I looking for trouble if I try that again?

depends.... "The switch was foolishly plugged into a non approved power supply" what does that means???? what's a "non-approved power supply".... sounds to me like you "hit" your switch with a power supply that was the wrong voltage which was then passed onto what it was plugged into (ie. the receiver). I run a 4X2 into a denon without issue... it is powered. Further, a powered unit is usually better as "stealing" power from an HDMI circuit isn't a good thing in the long run as that is not what it was designed for (ie. powering external things).
post #10 of 22
HDMI Multi-ports into HDMI Multi ports can be problematic for sure... Should not fry anything though. There are AVR's now with 8 ports.... I think this may have been a more prudent purchase for you.
post #11 of 22
Wow the x4000 has 7 HDMI inputs how many devices do you use ?
I can see needing:
1.) STB = cable/sat
2.) BlueRay/ Upconverting DVD or an Oppo BDP-103 which would give you one HDMI port back since it has an input HDMI.
3. Apple TV or Roku
4) Computer =HTPC
5.) Gaming console
6.) Camcorder
7.) TiVo
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

I've already bought the AVR X4000 to replace it . Is it feasible to input a 4 port HDMI switch into one of the 7 HDMI ports, or am I looking for trouble if I try that again?

You're looking for trouble.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
I used a spare boxee box power supply thinking the switch need power when it did not
yeah, it was dumb
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Wow the x4000 has 7 HDMI inputs how many devices do you use ?
I can see needing:
1.) STB = cable/sat
2.) BlueRay/ Upconverting DVD or an Oppo BDP-103 which would give you one HDMI port back since it has an input HDMI.
3. Apple TV or Roku
4) Computer =HTPC
5.) Gaming console
6.) Camcorder
7.) TiVo



2 tivos, blu ray, roku, boxee box, directv DVR, apple tv, chromecast and thinking about getting a PS4 or X box One
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

2 tivos, blu ray, roku, boxee box, directv DVR, apple tv, chromecast and thinking about getting a PS4 or X box One
You could upgrade to the Oppo BDP-103 and gain back an HDMI plus they offer the Roku Stick to work with their player not to mention using the HDMI in on the Oppo to plug in which ever of those sources you want a picture enhancement.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

2 tivos, blu ray, roku, boxee box, directv DVR, apple tv, chromecast and thinking about getting a PS4 or X box One

You should look into consolidating those down. Why do you need 2 Tivo's when you have a DVR? If you get a PS4 and use it for dlna'ing, you can probably get rid of everything else. Sometimes you have to let your old outdated stuff go.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

You should look into consolidating those down. Why do you need 2 Tivo's when you have a DVR? If you get a PS4 and use it for dlna'ing, you can probably get rid of everything else. Sometimes you have to let your old outdated stuff go.

LOL, yes 3 DVR's is silly but I guarantee you many here have more than that
as for the other stuff, they all have different uses and I use them all
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

LOL, yes 3 DVR's is silly but I guarantee you many here have more than that
as for the other stuff, they all have different uses and I use them all
You are correct and we do use switches in the field but they are costly and still have an occasional handshake issue.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomamaflorida View Post

I used a spare boxee box power supply thinking the switch need power when it did not
yeah, it was dumb

wow... I think the dumb part was not looking at the voltage required.... I think boxee is looking for 12v while depending on the switch, most / alot of switches and such are looking for 5v.... now we know the rest of the story. Good luck running an unpowered switch.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

wow... I think the dumb part was not looking at the voltage required.... I think boxee is looking for 12v while depending on the switch, most / alot of switches and such are looking for 5v.... now we know the rest of the story. Good luck running an unpowered switch.

Not just the voltage but the polarity....

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

You're looking for trouble.

I have to disagree.

The switch should be fine plugging into the HDMI port. The OP goofed by plugging a power supply that had too much voltage (a boxee is a mini-computer) and fried his HDMI sockets.

So, as long as the OP doesn't use that power supply (or any other non-approved ones) he'll be fine.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

I have to disagree.

The switch should be fine plugging into the HDMI port. The OP goofed by plugging a power supply that had too much voltage (a boxee is a mini-computer) and fried his HDMI sockets.

So, as long as the OP doesn't use that power supply (or any other non-approved ones) he'll be fine.

expensive lesson learned frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › I think I ruined my Denon AVR-4311 :(