or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion ›  4k demo content available for purchase?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4k demo content available for purchase?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I recently watched a 4k demo at Best buy on a 4k 65". One of the Sony 3D short demo's was a young man flying a remote craft and it seemed to come right out of the screen and hovered in front of us. We stood up and almost looked right down on top of it.. Incredible demo! Does any one know where to get a copy of that demo or Sony demo disc?
post #2 of 29
Tons of 4K content online, both in high quality downloads as well as YouTube streams. You just need a computer with a modern NVIDIA or AMD graphics chip. The best you'll get at the moment is 4K@30Hz or 24Hz over HDMI (which is perfect for film-based and video content) unless you get into some more advanced connections and 60Hz-capable 4K displays.
post #3 of 29
But where on the internet, simple searches haven't worked for me. YouTube is not 4k...it may be uploaded at 4k but yt down scales it to 2k for ya. Only thing I can find is the $100 timescapes. Also you said download 4k? Or do you mean stream from yt? Thanks for your help because I need content.
post #4 of 29
YouTube has had native 2K (2048×1152) and native 4K (4096×2304) content for almost four years, everyone made a big deal about it back then because almost no one had the ability to watch it natively. Just search YouTube for "4K" and then pick something like Timescapes. You have to start the video and then choose "Original" from the popup resolution picker. There's a lot of professionally shot demo material from RED users as well as a lot of consumer shot content from GoPro4 cameras. If you visit forums and editing websites, you'll find plenty of raw footage as well.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

Does any one know where to get a copy of that demo or Sony demo disc?

It is possible that the material is stored only on the Sony 4k media player http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FMP-X1-Ultra-Media-Player/dp/B00DBY5XNQ but expect it to be DRM protected.

I believe there is a discount if you purchase the player along with a Sony 4k TV.
post #6 of 29
Real 4K isn't easy to find on YouTube because it is spread all over the place, often not tagged 4K and often miss-titled or not uploaded in 4K even if it is marked as 4K.
Even with videos that are marked 4K and have a Original setting for download might not be 4K but just uploaded with higher resolution than 1080p.

Easiest way to download is with this extension for Chrome, Opera and Firefox where you get Downloade in the Youtube menu beside About etc.

Here are some links to YouTube 4K material, but again be aware that the link might not go directly to a video that can be downloaded in 4K.
The links are more for showing links to 4K videos which will appear in the side menu.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jacobschwarz/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidSQATDGos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgKXcQ9PLuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUnLEXXK7g4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYqIEBpbRhg

Fact is that Timescapes is still the only 4K edited commercial available content that is in distribution for all platforms.

ODEMAX combined with a RedRay player will be the first distribution platform for 4K content via download when it goes from current Beta stage to full operation. Expect more news about this at Cedia.
post #7 of 29
It's pretty easy to identify the actual resolution. Right click on any video and select "stats for nerds".
post #8 of 29

I have the Samsung UE55F9000 in my store and from what I can see the files are 1 main file and 3 sub files all at about 475,000Kb. Do you know of a way to create these files from the 4K you tube content?

 

Cheers

 

Mark

post #9 of 29
I have a lot of Sony 2160p Content that are coming from Sony's Media Streamer.

It's 22GB with various content from Paris, FIFA Conferederations Cup Brazil 2013, Hawaii, Egypt, Italy, Okinawa, Wimbledon etc.

The file extendtion of these files is SEV.

Does anyone have any idea on how can i open this SEV file extention?

Mainly I want to see the bitdepth/framerate/chroma subsampling/encoder informations etc.

I used SGO Mamba FX to open it (because it opens all RAW files) but it was not a supported format.....

BTW, I have Samsung 2160p Content than can be played from USB of Samsung 4K TV.

Samsung is doing a very clever trick to make 2160p files playable from USB Stick....

They split the 4K files to 4 x 1080p H264 Level 4.1 (Blu-Ray Spec), each file containts 1 quarter of the image.

So the original file is DEMO_a.mp4

the other 3 files are named as:

DEMO_b.mp4sub
DEMO_c.mp4sub
DEMO_d.mp4sub

So if you open the DEMO_a.mp4 file from a Samsung 4K you will see a 2160p video.

So if you open the DEMO_a.mp4 file from a Samsung 1080p you will see only the one quarter of the full video....
post #10 of 29
I can't remember where this came from but here are some 4k videos

http://box.houkouonchi.jp/4k/

I watched them on my 1080 p set. Strangely a lot of them look much better than any 1080p content I've ever seen on my TV.
post #11 of 29
Some new 4K content on YouTube shot on Red Epic cameras. Watch/Download from YouTube.

Costa Rica Nature - mostly reptiles.
.
.

.
.
.

Art shorts.

Edited by coolscan - 1/13/14 at 10:36am
post #12 of 29
This is not 4K.
I just post it here because it is an amazing short film by Cary Fukunaga, for those that like watching good shorts.
Watch it on Vimeo.

"Sleepwalking in the Rift"
.
post #13 of 29
LOL @ people posting 4K youtube clips.Youtube sucks smile.gif you need to see real 4K footage for real experience.
post #14 of 29
What "real" 4K footage do you have? What "real" 4K footage would you recommend people consume? I'm questioning sincerely, I'm not trying to get into an argument. I just don't get all the YouTube hate. While the compression flaws are obvious, it's a free, unlimited source of native 2160p content available to everyone and is most definitely sharper than 1080p Blu-ray content. Until the BDA gets its collective sh!t together, there aren't many options. PC games at 4K are probably the best source available aside from having access to raw footage from a RED camera. I know Sony just released a new 4K camcorder for like $1,800 if you want to enjoy some high-res home movies. I mentioned GoPro 4K earlier, but you folks poo-pooed that, too. Tough crowd.

Beggars can't be choosers, that comes later. wink.gif
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

What "real" 4K footage do you have? What "real" 4K footage would you recommend people consume? I'm questioning sincerely, I'm not trying to get into an argument. I just don't get all the YouTube hate. While the compression flaws are obvious, it's a free, unlimited source of native 2160p content available to everyone and is most definitely sharper than 1080p Blu-ray content. Until the BDA gets its collective sh!t together, there aren't many options. PC games at 4K are probably the best source available aside from having access to raw footage from a RED camera. I know Sony just released a new 4K camcorder for like $1,800 if you want to enjoy some high-res home movies. I mentioned GoPro 4K earlier, but you folks poo-pooed that, too. Tough crowd.

Beggars can't be choosers, that comes later. wink.gif

Hello, I have some demo material directly from Sony / Samsung / LG companies but it's locked to play only at each company Display, these companies have only some 1-2 minutes demos only... very few videos...mostly static content...

Sony Demo files are @ *.sev format.

Samsung Demo files are @ *.mp4 + *a/b/c/d.mp4sub (4 files per one demo video)

LG Demo files are @ *.lge format.

4K Movie Content is still far away to be available for HT enviroments.

Also If you check www.imdb.com, the 90% of the movies are mastered in 2K format... so how someone can expect to have 4K Movies at home the same time that the masters are at 2K ? looooooool

4K Mastering requires more time (estimaTED 4-6 months more vs the 2K), more money, better granding suites....
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

4K Movie Content is still far away to be available for HT enviroments. Also If you check www.imdb.com, the 90% of the movies are mastered in 2K format... so how someone can expect to have 4K Movies at home the same time that the masters are at 2K ? looooooool

Obviously 2K masters can't be used as 4K content, but 90% of all movies is far from accurate. While many movies in the past 15 years are likely forever limited to a 2K DI, significantly more films for over 100 years have no such limitation. Many films old and new have been scanned and mastered at 4K+ or are being scanned that way and are ready to go. Sony by itself has over 100 4K titles available right now through its FMP-X1 device. Are you saying these are not from 4K masters? I'd like to see that evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

4K Mastering requires more time (estimaTED 4-6 months more vs the 2K), more money, better granding suites....

Apparently the cost is worth it because it's already happening.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

4K Movie Content is still far away to be available for HT enviroments. Also If you check www.imdb.com, the 90% of the movies are mastered in 2K format... so how someone can expect to have 4K Movies at home the same time that the masters are at 2K ? looooooool

Obviously 2K masters can't be used as 4K content, but 90% of all movies is far from accurate. While many movies in the past 15 years are likely forever limited to a 2K DI, significantly more films for over 100 years have no such limitation. Many films old and new have been scanned and mastered at 4K+ or are being scanned that way and are ready to go. Sony by itself has over 100 4K titles available right now through its FMP-X1 device. Are you saying these are not from 4K masters? I'd like to see that evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

4K Mastering requires more time (estimaTED 4-6 months more vs the 2K), more money, better granding suites....

Apparently the cost is worth it because it's already happening.

I don't mean the 90% of the movies of the last 100 years. Check the most popular movies from 2012-2013 (years that 4K came to consumer displays), you will see that the master is 2K or 2.5K....

The 100 movies you say, most of them are just an upscaling, don't believe 100% of that any company is telling to promote.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

The 100 movies you say, most of them are just an upscaling, don't believe 100% of that any company is telling to promote.

I'm more inclined to believe Sony than to believe a forum post, but I'll gladly concede if presented with evidence. According to Sony, they are most certainly not upscaling. Having seen some of them first hand, I know it to be true:

"Overseen by the artists and technicians at Sony Pictures' Colorworks facility, the 4K movies and TV shows available via Sony's 4K Video Unlimited service are fully restored and/or remastered from original film or digital elements. The teams have worked diligently to restore classic favorites like Lawrence of Arabia with state-of-the-art technology and remain faithful to the filmmakers' intents, while also ensuring that the latest new release titles like Elysium are given extra care to bring them from the theaters into the home in 4K. That care and skill also extended to TV episodes with the fan-favorite Breaking Bad, presenting the series in 4K for the first time, exclusively via Video Unlimited."
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

The 100 movies you say, most of them are just an upscaling, don't believe 100% of that any company is telling to promote.

I'm more inclined to believe Sony than to believe a forum post, but I'll gladly concede if presented with evidence. According to Sony, they are most certainly not upscaling. Having seen some of them first hand, I know it to be true:

"Overseen by the artists and technicians at Sony Pictures' Colorworks facility, the 4K movies and TV shows available via Sony's 4K Video Unlimited service are fully restored and/or remastered from original film or digital elements. The teams have worked diligently to restore classic favorites like Lawrence of Arabia with state-of-the-art technology and remain faithful to the filmmakers' intents, while also ensuring that the latest new release titles like Elysium are given extra care to bring them from the theaters into the home in 4K. That care and skill also extended to TV episodes with the fan-favorite Breaking Bad, presenting the series in 4K for the first time, exclusively via Video Unlimited."

For the Laurence of Arabia and Elysium, and for the 10 Movies that sony used a new 4K master (that are available at bluray 1080p also), it's true. but i dont count the TV series episodes as a 4K movies.

What other tittles from movies that are released at cinemas are you seeing also inside to the sony media player?

http://www.sonypicturesstudios.com/productionsection/colorworks/accomplishments.html

Only a few movies, mastered/remastered there.... not more than 30... Do you have the 100 movie list?
post #20 of 29
On a different note , Vimeo has a significant amount of 4k content . The Samsung 7500 4k DVD player has access to this app for users with a UHD set . The player will scale content to 24 fps. The content ( search field ) comes from 4k cameras and Red Digital Cinema , etc.
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

For the Laurence of Arabia and Elysium, and for the 10 Movies that sony used a new 4K master (that are available at bluray 1080p also), it's true. but i dont count the TV series episodes as a 4K movies.

What other tittles from movies that are released at cinemas are you seeing also inside to the sony media player?

http://www.sonypicturesstudios.com/productionsection/colorworks/accomplishments.html

Only a few movies, mastered/remastered there.... not more than 30... Do you have the 100 movie list?

I don't own the Sony device, so I can not provide you with a current and complete list of movies and TV shows available in 4K, but it seems like your mind is made up anyway. Since you don't count TV shows as 4K, I see that this is not going to be an objective discussion. 4K mastered movies and TV shows exist and are available to consumers. As a fellow enthusiast, shouldn't you be pleased?

confused.gif

EDIT:
A quick search of AVS brought up this list of 4K movies (from November of 2013), there may be more on the service:

After Earth
Alamo Bay
Angels & Demons
Bad Teacher
Battle: Los Angeles
Body Double
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Cowboy
Evil Dead (2013)
Funny Girl
Ghostbusters
Glory
Godzilla (1998)
Groundhog Day
Hancock
Hard Times
Hitch
Investigation of Citizen Above Suspicion
It Happened One Night
Jerry Maguire
Julie & Julia
Lawrence of Arabia
Life Cycles
Looper
Men in Black
Men in Black 2
Men in Black 3
Moneyball
On the Waterfront
Philadelphia
Pineapple Express
Premium Rush
Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed
Salt
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Taxi Driver
That's My Boy
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Da Vinci Code
The Guns of Navarone
The Holiday (2006)
The Karate Kid (2010)
The Last Detail
The Mask of Zorro
The Other Guys
The Patriot
The Tourist
The Ugly Truth
The Vow
The Way We Were
Think Like a Man
This is the End
Total Recall

I suppose that next you'll tell me that you only count dramas from June 2012 to April 2013 as 4K... rolleyes.gif
Edited by nathanddrews - 1/27/14 at 2:16pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

The 100 movies you say, most of them are just an upscaling, don't believe 100% of that any company is telling to promote.
Yeah, I agree.
I am very skeptical to the 4K claims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I'm more inclined to believe Sony than to believe a forum post, but I'll gladly concede if presented with evidence. According to Sony, they are most certainly not upscaling. Having seen some of them first hand, I know it to be true:
Even more skeptical when the word comes from Sony, which are masters of technical "mumbo-jumbo" and fine words to make them look good without really telling the real truth.
Sony should be given kudos for being in the forefront of 4K in cinema. but it is clear that they are cheating a lot on these 4K re-masters.

When we know that 35mm film doesn't really have 4K of resolution to begin with, but can be accepted as 4K if scanned at 4K or even better at 6-8K and oversampled, it would be interesting to know how they arrive at new 4K masters from old films.

Do they rescan the negative elements and re-assemble and colorgrade the whole movie from there?
Do they scan a positive release print (which are printed on another type of film stock than the film is shot at) and is the release print of such a quality it can be called 4K?

With never movies shot on film the last ten years which originally was scanned for a 2K DI edit, do they rescan the negatives and re-assemble the movie again?

What about the VFX/CGI elements in those movies which are still generally created in 2K, do they up-convert them and mix them into the new 4K DI ?
OR, do they just re-scan a film print made years ago?

Knowing that all film prints the last ten years are printed onto film from a 2K DI master, this would not yield a real 4K resolution, but solve the problem of VFX/CGI versus up-converting those elements first.

Taking some examples of never films in the list;

  • Men in Black (1997); VFX heavy movie shot on film. What did they do with the VFX/CGI to get them to 4K?
  • The Amazing Spider-Man; This was shot digital in 5K 3D stereo, but all the CGI was done in 2K. They even had to pull back on shader layers on the lizard because it took too much time to render it out even in 2K. Which means they had to scale down the camera files to 2K also to get them to merge?
    How did they get all this to 4K?
  • Total Recall; Shot in 5K digital but only released in cinema in 2K: Did they redo all the VFX/CGI or did they just up-convert them?
  • After Earth; Shot in 4K with a lot of VFX. How did they get all the VFX to 4K?
  • Elysium; Shot digital with 5K capable camera (and some Canon 5D and helmet cameras.) with a "4K DI" for everything including VFX.
    For some reason they shot this movie anamorphic with a cropped down sensor to 3.2K (3296×1350 [squeezed down from 3296x2700 when recorded anamorphically] which is aprox. 4 megapixel, half of the 8 megapixel needed for 4K) and then up-converted the whole thing to 4K release and IMAX film-out.


I just use this to illustrate that there is 4K and there is real 4K.

Just imagine what they do with the really old movie that only have some rather worn and deteriorate film elements left in the archives when they are already "cheating" with modern digital shot movies.

Hollywood studios, producers and DPs seems to not care a dot about 4K, proven by the fact that the most used digital camera in shooting feature movies today is a camera with a 3K sensor (aprox. 5MP).

Doesn't mean that they not happily up-convert those movies to 4K if for some reason they want a 4K release.

So yeah, be very skeptical to all the 4K release claims of feature movies until the Hollywood studios honestly reveal how the arrive at their 4K releases for the home consumer market..

There will be much more Real 4K movie coming from independent producers (because they don't have money for VFX), Documentaries (Like BBC nature series which all now shoot in 4K or above) or private projects from Camera owners/Directors.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

EDIT:
A quick search of AVS brought up this list of 4K movies (from November of 2013), there may be more on the service:

After Earth
Alamo Bay
Angels & Demons
Bad Teacher
Battle: Los Angeles
Body Double
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Cowboy
Evil Dead (2013)
Funny Girl
Ghostbusters
Glory
Godzilla (1998)
Groundhog Day
Hancock
Hard Times
Hitch
Investigation of Citizen Above Suspicion
It Happened One Night
Jerry Maguire
Julie & Julia
Lawrence of Arabia
Life Cycles
Looper
Men in Black
Men in Black 2
Men in Black 3
Moneyball
On the Waterfront
Philadelphia
Pineapple Express
Premium Rush
Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed
Salt
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Taxi Driver
That's My Boy
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Da Vinci Code
The Guns of Navarone
The Holiday (2006)
The Karate Kid (2010)
The Last Detail
The Mask of Zorro
The Other Guys
The Patriot
The Tourist
The Ugly Truth
The Vow
The Way We Were
Think Like a Man
This is the End
Total Recall

I suppose that next you'll tell me that you only count dramas from June 2012 to April 2013 as 4K... rolleyes.gif

the 10% of that movies are coming from real 4K master. The others are just some upscalled content using some clever sharpening filters (like DARBEE) that Sony adds and cheats the 4K zombies.

You will not find informations at web that will tell you that are just upscalled, this is your weekness, you knownledge is based to things that anyone can found at google.
post #24 of 29
List from the latest info at the Sony 4K Video Unlimited. Not much has changed. I thought there was to be many new titles after the first of the year.

Available for Purchase and/or Rent
  1. The Amazing Spider-ManTM
  2. A Few Good Men
  3. Alamo Bay
  4. Angels & Demons
  5. Bad Teacher
  6. Battle: Los Angeles
  7. Body Double
  8. The Bridge on the River Kwai
  9. Cowboy
  10. The Da Vinci Code
  11. Evil Dead (2013)
  12. Funny Girl
  13. Ghostbusters
  14. Glory
  15. Godzilla
  16. Groundhog Day
  17. The Guns of Navarone
  18. Hancock
  19. Hard Times
  20. Hitch
  21. The Holiday
  22. Investigation of a Citizen
  23. Above Suspicion
  24. It Happened One Night
  25. Jerry Maguire
  26. Julie & Julia
  27. The Karate Kid (2010)
  28. The Last Detail
  29. Lawrence of Arabia
  30. Looper
  31. Men In Black
  32. Men In Black II
  33. Men In Black III
  34. Moneyball
  35. On the Waterfront
  36. The Other Guys
  37. The Patriot
  38. Philadelphia
  39. Pineapple Express
  40. Premium Rush
  41. Salt
  42. Spider-ManTM
  43. Spider-ManTM 2
  44. Spider-ManTM 3
  45. Talladega Nights
  46. Taxi Driver
  47. That’s My Boy
  48. Think Like A Man
  49. The Tourist
  50. The Ugly Truth
  51. The Vow
  52. The Way We Were
  53. Total Recall (2012)

New Releases
  1. After Earth
  2. Captain Phillips
  3. Elysium
  4. Grown Ups 2
  5. The Smurfs 2
  6. This Is The End

TV Episodes Available for Purchase
  1. Breaking Bad Season 1
  2. Breaking Bad Season 2
  3. Breaking Bad Season 3
  4. Breaking Bad Season 4
  5. Breaking Bad Season 5
  6. Breaking Bad The Final Season
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

You sound pretty knowledgeable about this. Which 10% exactly are the ones that are "real 4K master"? There are 56 titles on that list so that means either 5 or 6.

I think he's just making it up as he goes.
post #26 of 29

YouTube is still one of the only way to provide 4K content fast an easy to people lucky enough to have a 4K display... check this out it's YouTube but it's still razor sharp 3840 by 2160 pixels:
 

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Marchand View Post

YouTube is still one of the only way to provide 4K content fast an easy to people lucky enough to have a 4K display... check this out it's YouTube but it's still razor sharp 3840 by 2160 pixels:
"Razor Sharp"................LOL! tongue.gif

That is some of the worst 4K footage I have seen on Youtube, which you are trying to sell here on AVS. rolleyes.gif

Lack of sharpness, image quality and proper post production, filmed on a Sony FDR-AX1 4K UHD Handycam, is exactly the type of 4K footage that will get 4K a bad name and is a terrible promotion for the Sony Handycam.

This is terrible amateur footage trying to cash in on the 4K UHD hype, there are much better 4K footage out there that can be downloaded from free from YouTube, stay away! cool.gif
post #28 of 29
Too bad the masses that will usher in mainstream 4K will never see this thread, let alone this forum. 4K YouTube FTW!
post #29 of 29
this from the gh4 looks decent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKJ5eE7I1k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion ›  4k demo content available for purchase?