or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post

I recall a few months ago articles about PS4 having worse playback for Blu-rays compared to PS3. Are those claims still true or been fixed?


Overall, I still rank PS3 ahead of PS4 as a BD player. This is primarily due to PS3's superior de-interlacing, as well as the option to output video as 8-bit or 12-bit, YCC or RGB, depending on which type of signal works best with your display. PS4 is limited to 8-bit YCC - which is by far the most common default output for BD players, but not always the best choice for certain displays.

For native 24 Hz content, PS3 and PS4 are both excellent BD players.
Edited by home_theatre_man - 4/2/14 at 6:58am
post #122 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

Overall, I still rank PS3 ahead of PS4 as a BD player. This is primarily due to PS3's superior de-interlacing, as well as the option to output video as 8-bit or 12-bit, YCC or RGB, depending on which type of signal works best with your display. PS4 is limited to 8-bit YCC - which is by far the most common default output for BD players, but not always the best choice for certain displays.

For native 24 Hz content, PS3 and PS4 are both excellent BD players.

Isn't it strange that the designer of Blu-Ray's flagship gaming system is devoid of Blu-Ray features that it's predecessor had? I don't understand the design philosophy at all.
post #123 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

Isn't it strange that the designer of Blu-Ray's flagship gaming system is devoid of Blu-Ray features that it's predecessor had? I don't understand the design philosophy at all.
The philosophy is sell game consoles that play games, sell BD players that play movies, sell streaming boxes that stream video, make more money. The PS3 did everything, and likely cannibalized sales of their other media devices. But it did serve the initial purpose of killing HD-DVD. Now a universal media device is no longer in their best interest.
post #124 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The philosophy is sell game consoles that play games, sell BD players that play movies, sell streaming boxes that stream video, make more money. The PS3 did everything, and likely cannibalized sales of their other media devices. But it did serve the initial purpose of killing HD-DVD. Now a universal media device is no longer in their best interest.

+1
post #125 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The philosophy is sell game consoles that play games, sell BD players that play movies, sell streaming boxes that stream video, make more money. The PS3 did everything, and likely cannibalized sales of their other media devices. But it did serve the initial purpose of killing HD-DVD. Now a universal media device is no longer in their best interest.

I understand that part of it. But when your direct competitor is including these features (DLNA, full support for Blu Ray, etc.), you would think they would follow suit. There are plenty of people who enjoyed the HTPC aspect of the PS3 and used it for that as much or more than a gaming rig. Alienating some of your customer base doesn't seem wise. Let's hope they change course.
post #126 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

I understand that part of it. But when your direct competitor is including these features (DLNA, full support for Blu Ray, etc.), you would think they would follow suit. There are plenty of people who enjoyed the HTPC aspect of the PS3 and used it for that as much or more than a gaming rig. Alienating some of your customer base doesn't seem wise. Let's hope they change course.
But isn't Xbox $100 more expensive? I would expect more features in a more expensive device. I don't like the direction PS4 has taken either, but Sony has indeed chosen to alienate many of their former PS3 customers. That's one of many reasons I have no Sony gaming machines in my house anymore. Even the PS3 never had a decent universal remote interface. So they missed the mark there as well. My kids have moved to PC gaming now anyway. I have a couple more game consoles that have set unused for months. I need to put them all on ebay.
post #127 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

But isn't Xbox $100 more expensive? I would expect more features in a more expensive device. I don't like the direction PS4 has taken either, but Sony has indeed chosen to alienate many of their former PS3 customers. That's one of many reasons I have no Sony gaming machines in my house anymore. Even the PS3 never had a decent universal remote interface. So they missed the mark there as well. My kids have moved to PC gaming now anyway. I have a couple more game consoles that have set unused for months. I need to put them all on ebay.

It's more expensive primarily because of the Kinect.
post #128 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

But when your direct competitor is including these features (DLNA, full support for Blu-ray, etc.), you would think they would follow suit.
One quick clarification. Assuming you are referring to XBO, it does not currently support DLNA and lacks several desirable features as a BD player.

Both Sony and Microsoft have indicated they are investigating including DLNA in a future update.
post #129 of 139
PS4 was released without media features finished. They will be patched in with future updates. It was done to hit the Christmas launch deadline. But be assured the media features are coming soon.
post #130 of 139
After readings David's review at hdtvtest, and some here, its accurate to say that if you only use Amazon/Netflix streaming and Blu-ray at 1080p/24 output (need ycbcr 444), PS4 is a safe bet for quality playback?

I know on the PS3 the apps like Amazon and maybe Netflix at one point only output as RGB however (vudu app too), is that still the case?
post #131 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

After readings David's review at hdtvtest, and some here, its accurate to say that if you only use Amazon/Netflix streaming and Blu-ray at 1080p/24 output, PS4 is a safe bet for quality playback?


Someone else will have to comment on Amazon, but that's essentially correct for BD and Netflix. If you're connected to an A/V receiver, PS4's Netflix app currently downmixes 5.1 audio to L/R channels when 'Linear PCM' is selected as the audio output priority. It is a bug Netflix is aware of and working to resolve. Manually switching PS4 to Dolby bitstream works around the problem for now, but you have to switch back to PCM for games and other apps. Otherwise, Netflix app is very similar to PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I know on the PS3 the apps like Amazon and maybe Netflix at one point only output as RGB. Is that still the case?


All PS3 and PS4 apps use RGB color space.
Edited by home_theatre_man - 4/2/14 at 6:58am
post #132 of 139
I just picked my PS4 up last week. Am keeping my PS3 for now and already sold my Panasonic BDP-220.

A few thought so far.

I have both machines hooked up to a STR DN840 receiver, with HDMI from it to a P55ST50.

My fiancé has a Netflix account and since she's overseas she's letting me use it here. I've used it in the PS3 before but couldn't recall the app or playback quality, and I know it's changed with updates. With the PS3 I have to switch between PCM and bitstream in order for Netflix to output DD+ audio. Amazon still only outputs PCM with either option.

In the PS4, with bitstream DD selected, the same things happens except amazon will output DD in those titles that support it. If PCM is selected, If I recall correctly, it will only do PCM. If watching BDs, you have to access options via the remote to change the audio from PCM to bitstream, if you choose to do so. If they had this same option for the apps that would be great. My question is, since the PS4 seems to have he audio settings reflect three choices...PCM, DD, and DTS (each with priority next to them) you would think the machine would go to that setting as default should the source material have such an audio option present. This way you wont have to constantly switch between formats. I imagine this is the case because of game titles and different games support audio and people may want to choose one format over the other.

As for other differences, I'm still awaiting a Bluetooth enabled remote for BD playback. I liked the previous remote, even if it went overboard on buttons. I really liked the display option where you could select it and it would give the track info, bitrates, audio, etc. the PS4 doesn't do this (yet) but when you hit triangle it will give you some display options, along with a banner along the button with a cover art of the movie and some other info. I liked the more refined display on the PS3, especially on Netflix. When you selected it you could see the audio and video info. Watching House of Cards on netflix I could see it was steaming in Super HD at 1080P, or when it would fluctuate. Probably a personal preference but I liked that feature.

So far playback has been great. Load times are quick, no video or audio issues. I almost think it rivals the PS3 but it could be my ears.

I like the blazing fast menu interface and easier to find options.

Only one game so far, Tomb Raider, and it's improvements over it's PS3 counterpart are evident. The PCM 7.1 on it sounds so much better on here. The surround effects are truly remarkable. I don't own many titles but it's very well done and in look forward to future titles. The sound seems a little loud and aggressive and I had to turn it down from my usual volume.

The remote is well designed but the LED light is too bright and I plan to buy a set if stickers online to cover it up. A BD remote should he out this summer from what I heard but that is to be seen.

If anyone has question on my setup and how it works, etc just let me know!
post #133 of 139
I'm looking at buying a ps4 but have been reading that it has had issues with outputting dolby and dts-hd ma surround formats in both games and blurays. Can anyone here confirm that this feature functions correctly? Also can it do bitstream like the PS3 did allowing the receiver to decode the audio?
post #134 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post

I'm looking at buying a ps4 but have been reading that it has had issues with outputting dolby and dts-hd ma surround formats in both games and blurays. Can anyone here confirm that this feature functions correctly? Also can it do bitstream like the PS3 did allowing the receiver to decode the audio?

Didn't know of that issue. I personally don't have any issue outputting DD or DTS on games. I have a standalone Blu-Ray Player so I can't say about Blu-Ray Movies. My receiver says DTS when I play games and I hear surround. Pretty sure the PS4 can bitstream HD Audio on Blu-Ray. The fat ps3 wasn't able to bitstream hd audio and I beleive none of them were able to during 3-D playback.
post #135 of 139
HDMI audio output for games is available in uncompressed PCM format (up to 7.1 channels) and bitstream re-compressed using lossy Dolby Digital or DTS (5.1 channels).

Blu-ray Disc playback supports both PCM (up to 7.1 channels) and bitstream direct (including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio).

I have not had any problems with PS4's bitstream direct output to my surround processors.

PCM output for games and apps does not always switch to the correct number of output channels based on the content you're watching (i.e. 2.0 or 5.1 content will be output in a 7.1 stream). This problem occurs with Netflix and VUDU, among others.
Edited by home_theatre_man - 4/2/14 at 6:33am
post #136 of 139
I used to have the problem with Netflix as well, but when I set the PS4 to DD bitstream (priority) and watch Netflix, it will output DD + or DD depending on which audio option is available for the content (House of Cards for example). It tends to be a little I the loud side but I get 5.1 out of it and it's sounds pretty good (bandwidth allowing). The same goes for amazon Prime content, provided that it is a title that has the 5.1 symbol next to it. If the PS4 is set to PCM as a default, it will output 5.1 but as PCM.
post #137 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior980 View Post

If the PS4 is set to PCM as a default, it will output 5.1 but as PCM.


For Netflix, 5.1 tracks are downmixed into the L/R channels only, despite the PCM stream reading 5.1. 2.0 is sent in a 7.1 stream.
post #138 of 139
post #139 of 139
I've had the PS4 since Christmas and never had an issue until now. My Son and I were playing Knack and after 20 minutes the PS4 turned completely off like it had been unplugged. I restarted and it's in Safe Mode. Checked settings and started Knack again. As soon as we started playing it it did the same thing. We've had Knack since January without any issues. I did however, restart the game on a different save file a few days ago instead of deleting the old one. Could one of them be corrupted?
Edited by AncientAlien - 4/13/14 at 8:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread