or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Which one to buy: LED or Plasma ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which one to buy: LED or Plasma ?

Poll Results: Which one would be

 
  • 94% (32)
    Panasonic VT60
  • 5% (2)
    Samsung F8000
34 Total Votes  
post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I currently plan to purchase the latest and greatest TV. So I visited my local store and checked out Panasonic VT60 for its greatest black levels. VT60 is the most high-end plasma TV you can buy in this store. Nobody in my area carries Samsung F8500 plasma series. I don't want to order from online store. wink.gif
While Panasonic plasma was showing excellent dark levels and great contrast, other TV's on the stand were showing the same demo and my attention got caught bu Samsung LED F8000. I was shocked how deep the black levels of LED TV were. This particular Samsung didn't have any uniformity issue or bleeding. eek.gif But I wasn't so sure anymore what to buy.
Main use for TV would be of course Blu-ray movies and viewing channels. I also plan to use TV sometimes as computer monitor. Would Panasonic plasma be a viable solution as a computer monitor? Because my current old Samsung TV shows dirt picture when PC is the source because of dithering. Also with F8000 I won't have to worry about IR. Maybe if anybody will put in the word that in the dark room Samsung LED TV doesn't show the great black levels, then I will stick to Panasonic.
post #2 of 24
You are on the plasma thread how do you think the voting will end up rolleyes.gif
Only you can decide what is best for you and your situation. Read up on both and then decide - both threads contain a lot of information from current owners - plus there are a number of reviews out on the web. If you buy locally you should have a return window so if the one you end up with doesn't work out after a few weeks you can always return it. I own a VT if that helps but no vote from me. Good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well, maybe the moderator should move this thread to more appropriate subforum.

Both models are offered in the same price so the choice is hard for me. Maybe there is somebody there who has more experience with comparing both sets side by side or some calibrator who measured the performance of both sets.
post #4 of 24
The Samsung given that it is backlit LED will not match the black level performance of the VT60, but ABL (automatic brightness limiter) and dithering will be the downsides to usage of the VT60 as a monitor, the latter of which will be more apparent when sitting relatively close to the screen. Since the main use is Blu-ray and TV, I would be leaning toward the VT60.
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Pl_a View Post

Both models are offered in the same price so the choice is hard for me. Maybe there is somebody there who has more experience with comparing both sets side by side or some calibrator who measured the performance of both sets.

I think that Samsung LED LCD TV was included in the big VE HDTV Shootout back in May and it didn't fare well against the Plasmas .

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463325/2013-ve-annual-flat-panel-hdtv-shootout-dates-have-been-announced/60#post_23293564

Regardless, the black levels on LCD and LED LCD TVs in a bright store environment usually look misleadingly good, but you take that TV into a dark room and suddenly the black levels don't look very good at all compared to even a low end or mid level Plasma, much less a flagship. Don't be fooled by how good an LCD TV looks in a bright store, that kind of environment doesn't reflect how it looks in your home.
post #6 of 24
Same dilemma here. I need a tv for a living room, and it's quite a bit brighter than a bedroom. I have a Pioneer Elite from 2009 in my bedroom which I love, but am worried about glare in the living room. Plus the whites/brightness of LED attract me to them when in the store. The motion/pixelation on LED's are a bit of a turn off though. Right now, I'm leaning towards either a Samsung 7100/7500 or a Panasonic ST 60. I'd go higher end, but I don't think this TV will get as much view time as others. What to do???
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I think that Samsung LED LCD TV was included in the big VE HDTV Shootout back in May and it didn't fare well against the Plasmas .

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463325/2013-ve-annual-flat-panel-hdtv-shootout-dates-have-been-announced/60#post_23293564

Regardless, the black levels on LCD and LED LCD TVs in a bright store environment usually look misleadingly good, but you take that TV into a dark room and suddenly the black levels don't look very good at all compared to even a low end or mid level Plasma, much less a flagship. Don't be fooled by how good an LCD TV looks in a bright store, that kind of environment doesn't reflect how it looks in your home.
I am going for 55" panel. I wish I could get 65" version, but my budget is tight. Do you know if there is any negligible difference between 55" and 65" in terms of picture quality and black levels?
post #8 of 24
Which set?
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Both 55" VT60 and 55" F8000 can be bought in my budget. I am more specifically interested in VT60.
post #10 of 24
Since the threads starts with "latest and greatest" shouldn't 4K be in the mix? With Sony dropping prices to $5k for a 65" w/o the speakers the price gap is closing (and I assume it will continue). You can probably deal better on a ZT vs Sony 4K and a VT is still half the price but anyone walking into Best Buy, etc. looking for the "latest" should at least look at 4K.

I am curious what the Plasma fans think of the Sony 4K (I know this is a plasma forum thus the interest in why still plasma). If it was the same price as your favorite plasma would you easily chose the plasma for BD movie watching? At BB I did a quick comparison of Jurasic Park BD on 65" VT and 4K at my normal seating distance around 8 ft. There was clearly better detail on the upscaled 4K. Blacks and motion looked good (probably not as good as high end plasma but I liked the color...impressive picture and even more so on the 4K demo content.

I read the cnet article on only an "Idiot" buying 4K (resolution at distance vs. blacks, contrast, motion, etc. but I was impressed with what I saw. I am thinking in about 2 years 4K would seem to be mature enough to be top of my list and within budget. today it is tempting but ~$2k plasma might be a better value for now as a mature technology where it seems 4k technology and prices are on a steeper curve.
post #11 of 24
^The new HDMI revision coming up will make that Sony obsolete pretty quick in the realm of 4K. Better to wait it out since the connection module is not upgradable (as with Samsung's Evolution Kit), and contrast ratio is still the most important and striking aspect of PQ. I couldn't go backwards in contrast ratio for a sharper image and with hardly any native content to show for it, even if the 4K LED set had a price that matched the corresponding plasma.

In fact, the only LCD set I would remotely consider upgrading to is a full-array LED panel (of which there are no longer any available at a price a reasonable price, and by reasonable I mean under $20k) , and if there's a 4K OLED on the horizon, I'm even less likely to jump on such a stopgap measure.
post #12 of 24
it's been my experience that LED's don't typically show any faults until you get them out of the showroom. I had a couple of Samsung LED's a couple years ago that looked amazing in the store, even with the lights turned all the way down, but were unwatchable in my bedroom. with the lights at 50% or less the flashlighting was terrible. local dimming helps a lot, but there's only so much you can do with full array backlight. if I were you, i'd make sure the store has a good return policy before walking out the door with the F8000.

it's too bad you don't have an F8500 around. it's a pretty good compromise of 'led-ish' bright room performance without any of the nasty uniformity issues that arise in dark-room viewing.

imo, plasma is the only current tech on the market worth considering if you will be viewing the tv in low lighting conditions. and personally, I wouldn't even go so far as to say LED's are better in bright rooms, i'd say LED's become useable in bright rooms. I'll watch a plasma anywhere, i'll only watch an LED in a bright room.

so, from your choices, i'd take the vt60 and never think twice about it.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

Since the threads starts with "latest and greatest" shouldn't 4K be in the mix? With Sony dropping prices to $5k for a 65" w/o the speakers the price gap is closing (and I assume it will continue). You can probably deal better on a ZT vs Sony 4K and a VT is still half the price but anyone walking into Best Buy, etc. looking for the "latest" should at least look at 4K.

I am curious what the Plasma fans think of the Sony 4K (I know this is a plasma forum thus the interest in why still plasma). If it was the same price as your favorite plasma would you easily chose the plasma for BD movie watching? At BB I did a quick comparison of Jurasic Park BD on 65" VT and 4K at my normal seating distance around 8 ft. There was clearly better detail on the upscaled 4K. Blacks and motion looked good (probably not as good as high end plasma but I liked the color...impressive picture and even more so on the 4K demo content.

I read the cnet article on only an "Idiot" buying 4K (resolution at distance vs. blacks, contrast, motion, etc. but I was impressed with what I saw. I am thinking in about 2 years 4K would seem to be mature enough to be top of my list and within budget. today it is tempting but ~$2k plasma might be a better value for now as a mature technology where it seems 4k technology and prices are on a steeper curve.

I tend to get caught up in having the 'best' when I decide to go for something. when I did my shopping in early may, the full array sony's that were scattered around as clearance and open box items were something I was considering. I still like the idea of lcd panels for 'idiot proof' usage, and especially now that my reference viewing will be done on a projector, it made sense to consider one again. anyway, I ended up talking to a salesman i'd been buying stuff from since I was about 16 and he was showing me the 55" sony 4k model. at first because I asked if any of the sony's still had a full array backlight and he thought it did. he later clarified it did not(I think the tv had only been there for 2 days). we looked at it for awhile, and given that it was being fed the same source as the other TV's, I wasn't too surprised to not see any improvement in resolution. I was however disappointed to see the same kind of performance I see from other LED models. with a 1080p source, there was literally nothing that made the tv visually stand out. if you want a tv with a built in sound bar(aka, nasty, useless speakers that take up precious screen space) that was the only thing that I felt made it stand out from the f8000 or other LED models on display around it

for me, the sony wasn't in the same class as the top plasmas. the zt60, vt60 and f8500 were all much better. i'm pretty sure i'd take the st60 over it as well. compared to the LED's on the market, well sure. if I get extra pixels and the same performance otherwise, yeah i'd take the 4k sony over the f8000 and many other LED's. actually, as far as LED's go, the 4k sony was good,the f8000 is pretty good too. if for some reason I had enough money to buy one of those TV's but not enough money to buy blinds, they could both work for me tongue.gif

I am, and probably always will be, far more sensitive to blacks not being black than I am anything else. motion, color, brightness look good to me on literally every tv I've viewed this year. I think it's just the way I watch tv. I always have something 'black' to compare to, but almost never have something 'white' near the tv. so whatever is on screen will always be the brightest and whitest thing in the room, but even the best blacks out there are still bright compared to the 'black' of my room.
post #14 of 24
Bought a new set a few weeks ago and after some extensive research it turned out to be an easy choice in the end, the 64" F8500. Allmosa LCD brightness together with almost Panasonic black levels made it an easy choice. And in brighter environments black levels were much better than VT60 as well (but not the zt60 which has a slightly better filter than even the f8500 but only available in 60" in Europe and much more expensive as well). Add to that that I seemed to get a F8500 with almost no buzz and there are lots of complaints about fans on the Panasonic and I am really happy about my choice. f8000 is a great tv also, but worse blacks and limited viewing angels didn't work for me.
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks for suggesting, but Sony 4K sets aren't available for in my area. Only 4K sets available here for purchase are Samsung and LG 84" UHDTVs both of which cost above $20000. I don't see any point in purchasing 4K sets now. There is no 4K content available and no supporting HDMI standard. Anyway I highly doubt that black levels on that Sony UHDTVs are as good as Panasonic plasma TVs. By time 4K becomes viable, OLED will be here in big sizes for dirt cheap. biggrin.gif
post #16 of 24
You don't simply have to doubt it. You can rest assured that the blacks aren't as deep on the Sony.
post #17 of 24
Plasma must be better than led if it's calibrated right,and you do all the light control stuff right.

So many more people have Panasonic plasmas than the other companies.Must be partly because Samsung wasn't making as many plasmas before.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Plasma must be better than led if it's calibrated right,and you do all the light control stuff right.

So many more people have Panasonic plasmas than the other companies.Must be partly because Samsung wasn't making as many plasmas before.

Not sure what your point is here, more people have Toyotas than Lexuses, but not sure Toyota is a better car still smile.gif

Not sure why plasmas "must be better" than LCD, it's a matter of personal preference.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maetmpj View Post

I need a tv for a living room, and it's quite a bit brighter than a bedroom.

Then your choices are either F8500 plasma or LCD, because Panasonics just doesn't have the same brightness levels. If your room is VERY bright, even the F8500 might not be enough.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Not sure what your point is here, more people have Toyotas than Lexuses, but not sure Toyota is a better car still smile.gif

Not sure why plasmas "must be better" than LCD, it's a matter of personal preference.
Please reference the 2012 Value Electronics shootout. It's the next best thing to a blind test but does show overall what display technology provides a better all-around picture.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Not sure what your point is here, more people have Toyotas than Lexuses, but not sure Toyota is a better car still smile.gif

Not sure why plasmas "must be better" than LCD, it's a matter of personal preference.

Matter of preference, but most pro calibrators and true PQ enthusiasts will tell you - even putting aside the numbers - plasma just has a more natural, rich, organic looking image. Just the way it goes being driven by phosphors.
post #22 of 24
Plasma has the abl issue resulting in problems with a constantly changing gamma,luminance of the whites and dimming of all white and brighter screens.Its a bit of a pain, but some people wont be bothered by it,but some will be.Some problems can be reduced with calibration(you can't completely calibrate a plasma because of the abl).Motion is good but not as good as crts..Room lighting is an issue.

LCD Motion is not quite as good as plasma but I'm not sure how the expensive new ones are.They don't look as realistic as plasma.If your sitting off too the side they washout colors,blacks.

Some LCD and plasma look very similar.Each model for each type may be slightly different so there's different issues.Some plasmas work better at eye level,and some work better a bit higher up because it's mirror like.That may be the case with some LCD/led..Not sure.Its to do with the antirflective light filters on the plasmas.
Edited by Vic12345 - 8/31/13 at 1:04pm
post #23 of 24
Only reason EVER to buy a LCD: Need screen bigger than 65 inches or have a really bright room. Enough said.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Pl_a View Post

I currently plan to purchase the latest and greatest TV. So I visited my local store and checked out Panasonic VT60 for its greatest black levels. VT60 is the most high-end plasma TV you can buy in this store. Nobody in my area carries Samsung F8500 plasma series. I don't want to order from online store. wink.gif
While Panasonic plasma was showing excellent dark levels and great contrast, other TV's on the stand were showing the same demo and my attention got caught bu Samsung LED F8000. I was shocked how deep the black levels of LED TV were. This particular Samsung didn't have any uniformity issue or bleeding. eek.gif But I wasn't so sure anymore what to buy.
Main use for TV would be of course Blu-ray movies and viewing channels. I also plan to use TV sometimes as computer monitor. Would Panasonic plasma be a viable solution as a computer monitor? Because my current old Samsung TV shows dirt picture when PC is the source because of dithering. Also with F8000 I won't have to worry about IR. Maybe if anybody will put in the word that in the dark room Samsung LED TV doesn't show the great black levels, then I will stick to Panasonic.

Get both.

That's what I did. Since my AVR supports dual monitors, I have Panasonic GT50 as primary monitor and Samsung LED as secondary monitor.

Best of both worlds. biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › Which one to buy: LED or Plasma ?