or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer? - Page 17

post #481 of 593
Well, redjr, you're right not to count the SB700 out. It could have great sound.

I just wish it and the Jones Soundbar had discrete rears, or at least the option of rears.
post #482 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Well, redjr, you're right not to count the SB700 out. It could have great sound.

I just wish it and the Jones Soundbar had discrete rears, or at least the option of rears.
I think the SB23W is a solution in search of a problem - that just may not exist - at least given the audience here on AVS. Most people who may want the 23W probably already have a 2-channel setup for their stereo listening needs with a set of speakers that are a grade up from what the 23W can deliver. I think the 23W market is very narrow and those on the edge like yourself would prefer a 5-channel rig for movie listening. Hence the quandary. The only place I can see the 23W is a second listening space/tv room where it would otherwise be very inconvenient to run rear speakers for a 5.1 setup. Enter the 23W which offers a simple setup, yet falls short of a real 5.1 solution. I'm more interested in it from a novelty item, as I already have 2 sets of AJ speakers - which are very well made and sound great. I'm curious from the standpoint of what the SQ would be over and above my other 2-channel rigs. $399 is a pricey novelty expense. Goodness knows, I don't need any more speakers in my house! smile.gif As with most all sound-bar solutions they replace the need for an external or off-board receiver or integrated amp and rely solely on the TV/cable box for their primary sound source via digital or analog connections. Some HDMI offerings like the N700 and soundbars from numerous other manufacturers.
post #483 of 593
Just a note. Went to my local best buy and they had two bars on the shelf and one had black dot on the box by UPC. I got it home and yep, works perfect with my iPhone 5 and Bluetooth is 100% stereo with left/right channels. $299. I'm going to see how I like it and then decide if I want to keep it.

I'm going to do a custom setup with it inside my mantle. But here a pic of it sitting on top for now.



post #484 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Just a note. Went to my local best buy and they had two bars on the shelf and one had black dot on the box by UPC. I got it home and yep, works perfect with my iPhone 5 and Bluetooth is 100% stereo with left/right channels. $299...
What say you $299! Did it go on sale since yesterday? Was that a typo? Still $399 in the BB near me. frown.gif
post #485 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

What say you $299! Did it go on sale since yesterday? Was that a typo? Still $399 in the BB near me. frown.gif

Nope, $299. smile.gif
post #486 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

What say you $299! Did it go on sale since yesterday? Was that a typo? Still $399 in the BB near me. frown.gif

Amazon has it for a little less than $299

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBPF6W/ref=ox_ya_os_product
post #487 of 593
Anyone know the remote "code" for this unit? Trying to get it to work with TV remote
post #488 of 593
Thread Starter 
I haven't seen any remote codes that will work with this, or even most other sound bars. Try a Logitech Harmony remote that can control everything in your system.
post #489 of 593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

I hate to much bass when watching movies as it makes it very hard for me to understand dialogue, how is this soundbar in that regard? Thanks. smile.gif

Bass is adjustable to your taste. Easiest set-up is to adjust bass volume louder until you can hear the bass over the soundbar, then adjust volume down until it disappears. The dialog setting on the soundbar mutes the woofer, so using that mode should take your concerns completely out of play.
post #490 of 593
Well, I have been lazy...just enjoying sweet sounds....and the remote control process looked onerous. Anyone had success with a Vizio remote?
post #491 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf2tao View Post

Well, I have been lazy...just enjoying sweet sounds....and the remote control process looked onerous. Anyone had success with a Vizio remote?

Yes, you can program the soundbar to receiver the signal from your Vizio remote. There are instructions in the soundbar instructions on how to get any other remote to control the bar. Have you seen this?
post #492 of 593
Thread Starter 
Hi all. Further update on sound via the SB23.

Downloaded Handel's "Messiah" from Amazon last week. Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Philharmonic recorded in true stereo 1959. I used to own this on vinyl and donated it, along with about 2,900 additional records to the local library in 1995. I originally purchased the vinyl version around 1975 and it was a faithful companion, along with Wagner, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, Pink Floyd and the Amazing Rhythm Aces when I would audition new equipment. The last time I had listened to this was probably early 1990's on a pair of Vandersteen 2c speakers with Dahlquist sub-woofers and a whole bunch of electronics from Bob Carver. This rendition of the Messiah is so good that it always left me uplifted and excited.

So how did it fare on a little bitty soundbar with a single 6" woofer. Very good. All of the sonic detail was still there. Sound was excellent. The only let down was the flat sound stage. My sonic memory, I will grant you it is not always accurate, remembered this recording as having incredible depth as well as breadth. Our great room at our former home was 20' deep by 35' long. The Vandersteen's were about 17' from my seating position and approximately 10' apart. This recording sounded like the orchestra and choir filled the room from one end to the other and stretched an additional 10' deep beyond the back wall. Sorry the SB23 can't equal that. However, the SB23 was good enough that the recording was enjoyable from start to finish.

Anyway, just an update from an old guy, listening to old music (250 years old) from an old recording (almost 55 years old). By the way, I have had some pretty good and some quite expensive soundbars in my possession since moving to a condo seven years ago. I would not have considered that it was worth my time to even queue this recording up on anything previous.

Also, it just dawned on me, I never replaced my Pink Floyd. "Dark Side of the Moon" might just prove to be an interesting test for the SB23.

David
post #493 of 593

hello all i recently got the pioneer SP-SB23W as a bday gift  2 days ago! i love it...but after connecting my cell phone(android) via bluetooth sounded great then the sub-woofer stopped receiving a signal from the soundbar. i went back and pressed the sync button behind the sound bar and it does not light up at all?! Has any one else had this issue? is there something im not doing right?

post #494 of 593
Just picked up this sound bar, question about the three so called presets, movie/music/dialogue. If I adjust the sub up or down with the movie preset how do I go back to what the actual movie preset was, I guess i'm wondering if sub is also preset or is it just the bar itself? Thanks.
post #495 of 593
Thread Starter 
The presets only apply to the bar. Once you set the sub using either "Movie" or "Music", it will track the same with either. Using "Dialog", the sub output is muted by about 10db and is basically inaudible so again, set it once and forget it. The old THX recommendation for setting up a woofer/sub-woofer is to adjust the volume upwards until you can here the low end as a distict sound, then back off on the volume until the low frequencies as a distinct sound source vanish. This usually means that both are correct.
post #496 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

The presets only apply to the bar. Once you set the sub using either "Movie" or "Music", it will track the same with either. Using "Dialog", the sub output is muted by about 10db and is basically inaudible so again, set it once and forget it. The old THX recommendation for setting up a woofer/sub-woofer is to adjust the volume upwards until you can here the low end as a distict sound, then back off on the volume until the low frequencies as a distinct sound source vanish. This usually means that both are correct.

Thanks for that info. smile.gif I'm having trouble setting my sub or at least knowing roughly were it should be set, I've tried to follow your great instructions but my ears, shall we say, are not what they used to be after farming for 35 or so years. frown.gif I tested out the up and down sub volume control and count roughly 40 light flashes going from lowest to highest, I have mine set about half way, any idea where you have yours set? I may not be able to tell the difference but the company might. smile.gif
post #497 of 593
I am struggling with programming the remote, the unit does not seem to work with my tv's rf based remote. (lgla 7400) this is a motion based smart remote so I use my older directv remote for functions requiring numerical input. Has anyone successfully found a remote code with directv that this unit can learn based on the pairing process Andrew jones lays out in the pioneer YouTube video.

Thanks,
Mark
post #498 of 593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

Thanks for that info. smile.gif I'm having trouble setting my sub or at least knowing roughly were it should be set, I've tried to follow your great instructions but my ears, shall we say, are not what they used to be after farming for 35 or so years. frown.gif I tested out the up and down sub volume control and count roughly 40 light flashes going from lowest to highest, I have mine set about half way, any idea where you have yours set? I may not be able to tell the difference but the company might. smile.gif

My ears being about 62 years old and having "Cranked It Up" one or two more times than I should have are in probably the same condition as yours. I never counted the gradient steps, but think that mine is somewhere near the middle.
post #499 of 593
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmar View Post

I am struggling with programming the remote, the unit does not seem to work with my tv's rf based remote. (lgla 7400) this is a motion based smart remote so I use my older directv remote for functions requiring numerical input. Has anyone successfully found a remote code with directv that this unit can learn based on the pairing process Andrew jones lays out in the pioneer YouTube video.

Thanks,
Mark

I was never able to get the Pioneer to "Learn" either the codes from a Panasonic nor a Sharp remote and gave up trying. Quick and dirty solution is to replace all of your remotes with a single Logitech Harmony that can control all of your devices intelligently.
post #500 of 593
I've been reading so many great reviews regarding the Pioneer soundbar and have been tempted to pull the trigger but haven't because the speaker cabinet looks very cheaply made. Can anyone verify that the cabinet looks better in person than in a pic?
Edited by mbroadus - 12/18/13 at 11:01am
post #501 of 593
It's not cheap looking by any means
post #502 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

I've been reading so many great reviews regarding the Pioneer soundbar and have been tempted to pull the trigger but haven't because the speaker cabinet looks very cheaply made. Can anyone verify that the cabinet looks better in person than in a pic?

In person, I felt the exact opposite. Most soundbars seem to be made of cheap plastic while this soundbar was made of wood. It feels much heavier and more solid than most others.
post #503 of 593


post #504 of 593
Good to know...thank you very much!!! What about the sub...how does it look?

Jasonn B - Does the Pioneer system work with your Harmony 890 remote? I have the same remote and was curious.
post #505 of 593
Can someone answer this for me, it's regarding the iphone settings/troubled bars. I got my new soundbar and just tested it on a friends iphone5s, in accessibility settings you can move the slider left or right and i can hear sound coming out of both, so I assume my bar is working? However, just above the slider there is a button for "mono audio" and when i hit that, the sound from the soundbar gets a tad louder and sounds a bit fuller perhaps. Is that just a random option or is this soundbar still not working properly?
post #506 of 593
Thread Starter 
With many older stereo systems, the sound was about 3db louder when you combined the two channels for mono as it was playing both channels from both speakers. Loud enough to notice, but not loud enough for a major distinction. This also often resulted in marginally cleaner sound as it removed stereo cross talk from the two channels of amplification.

What you are haring is both normal and expected.
post #507 of 593
It seems as if 299 is the new list price per the product page on Pioneer's website..

Sound Bar Product Page

Just picked one up at BB... excited to take it for a spin.
post #508 of 593
Just picked this up a couple of days ago and was really enjoying the sound as compared to the Samsung FW550 it's replacing, but now I'm having trouble with the sub. I have it placed about 2 feet from the bar but it keeps cutting out. Here are the symptoms:

  • If I pause my TIVO for a few minutes the sub seems to go into a sleep mode and the audio will not come back when I resume the program. Also cuts out at random times.
  • The blue light on the back of the sub and the red light on the back of the bar are lit indicating sync. The other light on the back of the sub goes to red instead of green when it's working correctly
  • I usually have to cycle power on the sub to get it to work again, and that doesn't always work right away.

I was hoping that someone else has been able to solve this problem so I don't have to head back to BB over the holidays for a return. I tried changing the channel on my WIFI network in case that was causing the interference but that didn't seem to solve the problem. The wifi environment where I live is pretty clean so now I'm thinking it's a problem with the bar itself.
post #509 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post

Just picked this up a couple of days ago and was really enjoying the sound as compared to the Samsung FW550 it's replacing, but now I'm having trouble with the sub. I have it placed about 2 feet from the bar but it keeps cutting out. Here are the symptoms:

  • If I pause my TIVO for a few minutes the sub seems to go into a sleep mode and the audio will not come back when I resume the program. Also cuts out at random times.
  • The blue light on the back of the sub and the red light on the back of the bar are lit indicating sync. The other light on the back of the sub goes to red instead of green when it's working correctly
  • I usually have to cycle power on the sub to get it to work again, and that doesn't always work right away.

I was hoping that someone else has been able to solve this problem so I don't have to head back to BB over the holidays for a return. I tried changing the channel on my WIFI network in case that was causing the interference but that didn't seem to solve the problem. The wifi environment where I live is pretty clean so now I'm thinking it's a problem with the bar itself.

So I think I've figured out what's going on. Based on this review on Amazon I believe that the sub keeps going to sleep because of either too low bass input (nighttime listening at low volume level) or no input (pausing TIVO). Then it won't come back on until the program reaches a point where the bass is loud enough to wake the sub from sleep. If I'm listening at a low to moderate level then the sub seems to go in and out of sleep frequently which is very annoying. Now that I think I know what's going on I'll have to see if I can live with either watching at a higher volume or the sub turning on/off.

Still would be interested to hear if others have experienced this issue or if my copy is more sensitive to this issue and I should return it.
post #510 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post

So I think I've figured out what's going on. Based on this review on Amazon I believe that the sub keeps going to sleep because of either too low bass input (nighttime listening at low volume level) or no input (pausing TIVO). Then it won't come back on until the program reaches a point where the bass is loud enough to wake the sub from sleep. If I'm listening at a low to moderate level then the sub seems to go in and out of sleep frequently which is very annoying. Now that I think I know what's going on I'll have to see if I can live with either watching at a higher volume or the sub turning on/off.

Still would be interested to hear if others have experienced this issue or if my copy is more sensitive to this issue and I should return it.
Can you turn-off auto sleep mode on the sub? This was an annoying problem I had with a cheapie Sony sub a few year ago. I fortunately could turn off the auto sleep and all was well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Pioneer Speaker Bar - Possible Game Changer?