or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New HTPC build horrible XBMC playback.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New HTPC build horrible XBMC playback.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Just built a new HTPC that seems to have ok playback through VLC but XBMC is doing wierd things. I was thinking of getting a stronger video card but I was told XBMC is picky with its settings. Only thing I changed was a refresh rate display change for the 24P bug the HD3000 has and an audio change to ensure I was getting DTS output. I have changed nothing else. Both movies play well though VLC but I would like to use XBMC.


Hardware..
i3 2125 (Intel HD3000 Graphics)
Cooler Master Vortex cooler (peak 60C in prime95)
Asus p8h77-I mobo
8gb 1333mhz Kingston low profile ram
300W FSP SFF PSU came with SG05
Windows 7 64bit

One of my movies is a rip of my Dark Knight Bluray. It is 18gb in size. The issue is that I get this wierd gray screen that comes up every few minutes and then it starts to come back in tiles until its back to playing normal again. No issues in VLC.

Another movie is a rip of Wall-E that just stutters through the whole movie.. I swear when i bring up the setting screen on top of the movie I can see hte movie smooth out.. really weird... VLC play it just fine.

Thanks for any help! I am a noob in the HTPC world!
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright28 View Post

Just built a new HTPC that seems to have ok playback through VLC but XBMC is doing wierd things. I was thinking of getting a stronger video card but I was told XBMC is picky with its settings. Only thing I changed was a refresh rate display change for the 24P bug the HD3000 has and an audio change to ensure I was getting DTS output. I have changed nothing else. Both movies play well though VLC but I would like to use XBMC.


Hardware..
i3 2125 (Intel HD3000 Graphics)
Cooler Master Vortex cooler (peak 60C in prime95)
Asus p8h77-I mobo
8gb 1333mhz Kingston low profile ram
300W FSP SFF PSU came with SG05
Windows 7 64bit

One of my movies is a rip of my Dark Knight Bluray. It is 18gb in size. The issue is that I get this wierd gray screen that comes up every few minutes and then it starts to come back in tiles until its back to playing normal again. No issues in VLC.

Another movie is a rip of Wall-E that just stutters through the whole movie.. I swear when i bring up the setting screen on top of the movie I can see hte movie smooth out.. really weird... VLC play it just fine.

Thanks for any help! I am a noob in the HTPC world!

Turn off DXVA.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I will give that a shot!
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
To confirm the Render method should be dxva but dxva2 support should be off?
post #5 of 24
Look at this table. Turning off DXVA2 is right. You can still select DXVA for Rendering method. This is generally good because video scaling (e.g. 720p -> 1080p) is done by GPU via DXVA. If you play interlaced content, you are forced to use DXVA Bob, however, because DXVA Best (literally the best deinterlacing method among all solutions) is non-working for Intel GPU. That's the main drawback of Intel GPU + XBMC player.

Well, even if you use a AMD or NVIDIA graphics card, there is always a problem of this type. That's XBMC.
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the settings table.. this is exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping for some decently smooth playback when I get it setup right... if the HD3000 can handle it..
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
My Bday is in a couple weeks.. the wife offered to buy me a AMD 7750 to stick in the HTPC.. my power supply should run that without issue. Worth the upgrade over HD3000?
post #8 of 24
Well, AMD's DXVA upscaling is mediocre (in particular 720p -> 1080p, it's only bilinear upscaling). So you will want: DXVA2 = OFF, Render Method = Pixel Shaders, Video scaling method = Lanczos. Then the only choice for deinterlacing will be De-interlace, De-interlace (Half), Software Blend, either of which is terrible compared with "DXVA Best" deinterlacing. So PQ of AMD is more or less the same as Intel.

If you don't play 720p contents, you can stick to DXVA2=ON, DXVA Best deinterlacing and DXVA scaling and only in this case AMD is better than Intel.

Anyway, try with Intel: DXVA2=OFF, Render method=DXVA, Deinterlacing=DXVA Bob, Video scaling method=DXVA, and see the result. If playback is smooth, stick to Intel and save your money.

BTW HD 7750's max power consumption is only 55W. A 300W PSU is plenty enough.
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Would Nvidia be better?
post #10 of 24
NVIDIA's PQ is more or less the same as AMD's.

If you have to buy a discrete graphics card, then I recommend Radeon HD 7770 (in particular Sapphire Vapor-X).
post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
I was thinking of the Asus 7770 but worried about my 300W PSU being an issue. Heck I can get a 7790 but would have to change my PSU I think.. beyond that hte cards take a leap in price.
post #12 of 24
The max power consumption of HD 7770 / 7790 is only 80W / 85W. There is no way for your system with one of these cards to exceed 200W. Even if you run Prime95 and MSI Kombuster torture tests simultaneously, the max power consumption would be ~< 160W.

As for HD 7790, ASUS DirectCu II is one of the quietest (for HD 7770, Sapphire Vapor-X).
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
And of course this one..

http://www.frys.com/product/7648917?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG


My PSU has the 6 pin plug.. not sure if it can provide the juice.. I don't believe its a single 12V rail setup? Fortron 300W came with silverstone SG05.


My PSU Specs..

Power supply type

SFX
Max. DC Output

300W
Load Range

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 +5VSB -12V -5V
Max.(Amps)
20A 22A 14A 16A / / 2.5A 0.5A /
Peak (Amps)
/ / 19A 19A / / 3A / /
Min.(Amps)
0.5A 0.5A 1A 1A / / 0A 0A /
Range (%)
+/-5% +/-5% +/-5% +/-5% / / +/-5% +/-5% /
Ripple(mVp-p)
70mV 70mV 140mV 140mV / / 70mV 70mV /
combined +3.3, +5V

125W
combined +12V

22A / 264W
Input Voltage

90V ~ 264V(Auto Range)
Input Frequency Range

47Hz ~ 63Hz
PFC

Active PFC (PF>0.95 at full load)
Operating temperature

0 ~ 50°C
Protection

Over current protection, Over power protection, Over voltage protection, Short circuit.
Connectors

1 x 24-pin motherboard connector (300mm)
1 x 4-pin ATX12V connector (400mm)
1 x 6-pin PCI-E connector (400mm)
1 x triple SATA connector (300mm +200mm +100mm)
1 x dual 4-pin IDE (300mm + 200mm)
1 x single floppy power connectors
(300mm + 200mm + 200mm)
Color

SECC
Cooling System

Single 80mm fan
Noise Level

19 dBA minimum
Dimension

125 mm (W) x 63.5 mm (H) x 100 mm (D)
Weight

940g
Form factor

ATX PS/2
Certification

80 PLUS
Other

GPU Support list
Haswell CPU support
Edited by Copyright28 - 8/28/13 at 2:28pm
post #15 of 24
You are too nervous. smile.gif The PSU that comes with SG05 is designed specifically for gamers. It can output 300W continuously for a long time with no problem. Like this
Quote:
My GTS 250 had a minimum 450W PSU requirement and the Silverstone 300W PSU (which also falls short by 150W) had no problems handling it.

GTS 250 has TDP 150W.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Well, AMD's DXVA upscaling is mediocre (in particular 720p -> 1080p, it's only bilinear upscaling). So you will want: DXVA2 = OFF, Render Method = Pixel Shaders, Video scaling method = Lanczos. Then the only choice for deinterlacing will be De-interlace, De-interlace (Half), Software Blend, either of which is terrible compared with "DXVA Best" deinterlacing. So PQ of AMD is more or less the same as Intel.

If you don't play 720p contents, you can stick to DXVA2=ON, DXVA Best deinterlacing and DXVA scaling and only in this case AMD is better than Intel.

Anyway, try with Intel: DXVA2=OFF, Render method=DXVA, Deinterlacing=DXVA Bob, Video scaling method=DXVA, and see the result. If playback is smooth, stick to Intel and save your money.

BTW HD 7750's max power consumption is only 55W. A 300W PSU is plenty enough.
This isn't true any more. In the newest builds you can use DXVA accelerated Lanczos3 scaling and DXVA Best deinterlacing. I am able to use this with a $15 AMD 5450. $100 7770 is complete overkill if he's not using MadVR or gaming. There will be no difference in picture quality in XBMC. Baring some last minute catastrophe this will be in the final stable Gotham 13 release as it works fine now.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170855
Edited by StinDaWg - 8/29/13 at 5:10am
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
I picked up an MSI 7790.. that was all they had.. I plan on modding the heatsink and I am replacing all fans with some PWM Noctuas including a thin 92mm PWM for the heatsink to get me some more room between the power supply and heatsink.

This card is awesome. My 300W Silverstone doesn't even get warm when gaming. I may replace the power supply with a 450w anyways since the fan on the 300w rattles. This video card at 1080p with default Call of duty black Ops II settings flys.. averages about 80fps and hits over 100 during gaming. Minimum i saw it drop to was 62fps. Very happy with this card and glad I got it.

Now for the HTPC function.. XBMC playback got worse.. now it notches on both movies really bad. I ran out of time so I have to try changing some settings tonight. Very happy I got this video card though. It's nice to have a 2nd PC I can play COD BOII on.

So given the information above... what settings should I change? Right now I have it all back to default settings and it's notchy as hell.. even in the menu!
post #18 of 24
If you want to save money, you can replace the PSU fan with a quieter one. Soldering may be needed, however.

As for XBMC, try DXVA2 turned ON. This is the simplest setting (decoding and all post-processing tasks are left to GPU and the graphics driver). You have to configure the driver settings correctly in this case. I recommend all color and video quality settings turned off in Catalyst Control Center, except for automatic deinterlacing and pulldown detection.
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks man I will give that a shot! I had thought about doing a nice fan in the PSU.. I have replaced these before.. I will probably do the 450W just to have the extra power for later on. I have a buddy who needs my 300W for a build he is doing so It gives me the option to help him out as well.


Just a cooling/PSU question... on my SG05 silverstone case I turned my PSU upside down so that the fan points at the top of the case which is ventilated. The PSU is very close to my heatsink and I didn't want them fighting for air. I have seen some ppl flip the fan on the heatsink and shoot the warm air off teh heatsink into the PSU which ejects it out of the case. Not sure if that is a good idea or how I am doing it now. I know with the PSU fan pointed like I have it.. no fans are exhausting air.. its basically depending on positive pressure from the front fan to push heat out. I guess I need to know which method is best for the setup. I was gaming for about an hour with it and my video card hit 57C and my CPU peaked at 55C... temps are perfectly fine like it sits. Thanks for any feedback!
post #20 of 24
The best CPU cooler for SG05 is SilverStone's NT06-PRO (designed exactly for this case). Airflow is natural.
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
The Coolermaster Vortex is very much like that one only a 92mm version. I am sure the Silverstone is better but this vortex was local and very cheap.
post #22 of 24
Yup, Vortex Plus is also good for Core i3. The fan should blow up air towards PSU's intake, however.
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok I will swap things around and fix that.. the fans were so close together before but with the new 92mm Noctua 14mm PWM fan it should work better...

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-A-Series-Bearing-Premium-Low-profile/dp/B009NQM7V2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377791848&sr=8-1&keywords=92mm+noctua

And I got two of these for my case.. one for the front of the SG05 and one I am putting on the side to blow over the video card..(removing video card fan). Will have it be controlled by the MOBO and Asus Fan Xpert.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PWM-Cooling-Fan/dp/B00632FL8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377791936&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+120

I am hoping this will provide a fairly silent HTPC with the ability to stay cool when gaming and keep quiet as well.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copyright28 View Post

I picked up an MSI 7790.. that was all they had.
Now for the HTPC function.. XBMC playback got worse.. now it notches on both movies really bad. I ran out of time so I have to try changing some settings tonight. Very happy I got this video card though. It's nice to have a 2nd PC I can play COD BOII on.

So given the information above... what settings should I change? Right now I have it all back to default settings and it's notchy as hell.. even in the menu!
Your 7790 destroys my 5450, but XBMC is perfectly smooth for me. Uncheck all the advanced CCC settings like renethx said. They just mess things up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New HTPC build horrible XBMC playback.