or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for Powered Speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for Powered Speakers

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi Guys,
New to the forums so i'm sorry for the noob questions. I am looking for powered speakers. I play PC games and listen to Spotify a lot. I don't have a budget yet because I am in the process of building my own PC. I wanted to know what would be a good budget for powered speakers. I want something that will last a long time and I don't mind spending a little extra to get it.
post #2 of 14
I've had some Audioengine a2's ($199)for about 6 months and am very happy with them as desktop computer speakers. There are several threads in this Speaker forum that discuss various powered desktop speakers and the option of using a relatively inexpensive $20 T-amp and regular speakers. Also, Guitar Center has several brands of powered speakers available to demo in store.
post #3 of 14
Check out the Adam audio powered speakers as well as the emotiva airmotiv line. I love my airmotiv 4's
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor View Post

Check out the Adam audio powered speakers as well as the emotiva airmotiv line. I love my airmotiv 4's
Thanks, I haven't heard of that company before. I'll look them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

I've had some Audioengine a2's ($199)for about 6 months and am very happy with them as desktop computer speakers. There are several threads in this Speaker forum that discuss various powered desktop speakers and the option of using a relatively inexpensive $20 T-amp and regular speakers. Also, Guitar Center has several brands of powered speakers available to demo in store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor View Post

Check out the Adam audio powered speakers as well as the emotiva airmotiv line. I love my airmotiv 4's

I was initialyl looking at the Audio Engine A5. I've heard really good things about that. I went into my local Best Buy but they didn't really have anything. I will check to see if I have a local Guitar Center. I have reading a lot about the Paradigm shift and KEF X300A. Has anyone heard these? What do you think of them?

I think a budget of $500 should get me some really good speakers.
post #5 of 14
If you have a local guitar center see if they have displays you can audition. take your cell phone or mp3 player and a 3.5mm audio jack (if you have one also take a 3.5mm to RCA converter) and audition the speakers yourself. It's the best way to see if you like the sound produced by a set of speakers.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwardicus View Post

If you have a local guitar center see if they have displays you can audition. take your cell phone or mp3 player and a 3.5mm audio jack (if you have one also take a 3.5mm to RCA converter) and audition the speakers yourself. It's the best way to see if you like the sound produced by a set of speakers.

Should i bring my own cables or will they have some I can use?
post #7 of 14
I've got the Audioengine A2s at work and I'm really pleased with them (for the size). I'm considering the A5s for home now based on my experience with the A2s.
post #8 of 14
I would say you're best off bringing your own to be safe, but call ahead and ask them if you don't have the correct cables. I've never actually auditioned speakers at a guitar center so I can't comment any more than what I have :-p
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwardicus View Post

If you have a local guitar center see if they have displays you can audition.
I don't think a GC showroom constitutes a good listening environment, to say the least.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the help. I am going to go and try to listen this weekend.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy1992 View Post

Thanks, I haven't heard of that company before. I'll look them up.

I was initialyl looking at the Audio Engine A5. I've heard really good things about that. I went into my local Best Buy but they didn't really have anything. I will check to see if I have a local Guitar Center. I have reading a lot about the Paradigm shift and KEF X300A. Has anyone heard these? What do you think of them?

I think a budget of $500 should get me some really good speakers.

I think the Kef and Paradigms are out of your budget range.

If you have a local Guitar Center, definitely go listen. You should be able to find something there you like smile.gif
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I think the Kef and Paradigms are out of your budget range.

If you have a local Guitar Center, definitely go listen. You should be able to find something there you like smile.gif

Would it be worth increasing my budget to look at those brands? I only want to do this once and don't want any buyer remorse. I have a local Best Buy that has a Guitar Center attached to it. So i'm going to try there first this weekend.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguy1992 View Post

Would it be worth increasing my budget to look at those brands? I only want to do this once and don't want any buyer remorse. I have a local Best Buy that has a Guitar Center attached to it. So i'm going to try there first this weekend.

Maybe not. Do you like bass heavy music like Dubstep, Rap, Hip Hop or Reggae? Would you like more of a home theater experience with your gaming? If so, you might want to stay with your current budget and save towards a sub.

Also, be sure to budget for a sound card that has decent audio. Many motherboards have pretty crappy sound output on their own.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Maybe not. Do you like bass heavy music like Dubstep, Rap, Hip Hop or Reggae? Would you like more of a home theater experience with your gaming? If so, you might want to stay with your current budget and save towards a sub.

Also, be sure to budget for a sound card that has decent audio. Many motherboards have pretty crappy sound output on their own.

+1. A decent audio output isn't that expensive anymore. This Behringer USB interface for instance has an excellent signal to noise ratio, and is only $30. I would get a monitor with good bass extension. I find many sub setups for desktop computer systems are extra localizable since the speakers are typically so close to the listener. Because of this, I would want some speakers with good extension so the crossover point can be lower than normal, this will go a long way toward defeating localization. I would be looking at monitors with 8" woofers. JBL just came out with a great looking new monitor that ought to reach down to 50 Hz, check out the LSR308. Next to that I would be looking at the Mackie MR8. Nice bass that will mate well with a good sub.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for Powered Speakers