or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5

post #121 of 567
Watched this movie in 2D IMAX and it was INCREDIBLE. Beyond the reference sound and picture in the theater, I really liked the story and it was easily the best summer 2013 movie for me.

Day 1 3D purchase that will look great on my Panasonic AE8000U. The only disappointment is that it doesn't have IMAX switching, e.g., Dark Knight Rises, Tron Legacy, Ghost Protocol, et. al.
post #122 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Watched this movie in 2D IMAX and it was INCREDIBLE. Beyond the reference sound and picture in the theater, I really liked the story and it was easily the best summer 2013 movie for me.

Day 1 3D purchase that will look great on my Panasonic AE8000U. The only disappointment is that it doesn't have IMAX switching, e.g., Dark Knight Rises, Tron Legacy, Ghost Protocol, et. al.

OT, but...Ghost Protocol switches AR???? Mine sure doesn't! eek.gif Maybe you got confused and wished--like the rest of us (apologies to the CH screen owners wink.gif)--it did! tongue.gif Anybody else own an AR-switching MI:4 disc???
post #123 of 567
I was mistooken. No IMAX switching with Ghost Protocol.
post #124 of 567
For anyone interested, the data-bass numbers are in and unfortunately extension is not up to par with the 2009 Trek track. frown.gif ~30hz filter on this one while the 2009 track hit single digits. Definitely not 5 star extension unfortunately. At least what is there is loud.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-65
post #125 of 567
Blame the filtering on the HTiB crowd's speakers getting blown and then complaining to the studios. They should just put a disclaimer on the lossless BD tracks that playing them at high volumes could damage equipment if the equipment is not up to task.

Does anyone else think that an average bitrate of 23Mbps is a little low for a title that is supposed to be a reference release?

Look I know it's not all about the bitrate but I wonder if the Target version is going to push the average bitrate closer to 30Mbps.
post #126 of 567
Has anyone watched this yet on Blu????? Blueler? biggrin.gif
post #127 of 567
Off today...waiting for the UPS guy to arrive.......can't wait. Thnx for the great review, Ralph. The only thing to decide is whether or not to watch the 3D or 2D first....biggrin.gif
post #128 of 567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Blame the filtering on the HTiB crowd's speakers getting blown and then complaining to the studios. They should just put a disclaimer on the lossless BD tracks that playing them at high volumes could damage equipment if the equipment is not up to task.

Does anyone else think that an average bitrate of 23Mbps is a little low for a title that is supposed to be a reference release?

Look I know it's not all about the bitrate but I wonder if the Target version is going to push the average bitrate closer to 30Mbps.

Greetings,

I have heard outstanding audio presentations that don't offer bitrates over 21 Mbps. Lower video bitrates might be a different story although even that isn't a given.

Regards,
post #129 of 567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

For anyone interested, the data-bass numbers are in and unfortunately extension is not up to par with the 2009 Trek track. frown.gif ~30hz filter on this one while the 2009 track hit single digits. Definitely not 5 star extension unfortunately. At least what is there is loud.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-65


Greetings,

Thanks for sharing this info Todd. While it is relevant it doesn't define the quality of the presentation as a whole. I look forward to hearing what you think once you have heard it. wink.gif


Regards,
post #130 of 567
Ralph,
OT, but I noticed in your home theater that you really enjoy your DTS sign. I have the same one and I feel the same! You can't get these anymore wink.gif
post #131 of 567
I'll be the final judge on Saturday as I'll do a back to back mini Trek fest biggrin.gif
post #132 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing this info Todd. While it is relevant it doesn't define the quality of the presentation as a whole. I look forward to hearing what you think once you have heard it. wink.gif


Regards,

I hear ya Ralph and I am sure the audio overall is excellent, but that last bit of extension makes a difference IMO. The general difference in LFE between a filtered track like The Avengers and something unfiltered like TIH is noticeable in my system and significant IMO. Any way you cut it, a 30hz filter is a shame IMO.

Still very much looking forward to watching and listening to this one though and I will post back with my thoughts after I watch it which I hope will be tonight.
post #133 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'll be the final judge on Saturday as I'll do a back to back mini Trek fest biggrin.gif



Cool. I won't be able to wait, just picked mine up at the local Wallyworld and watching it tonight. Nothing like cocktails and good LFE biggrin.gif
post #134 of 567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I hear ya Ralph and I am sure the audio overall is excellent, but that last bit of extension makes a difference IMO. The general difference in LFE between a filtered track like The Avengers and something unfiltered like TIH is noticeable in my system and significant IMO. Any way you cut it, a 30hz filter is a shame IMO.

Still very much looking forward to watching and listening to this one though and I will post back with my thoughts after I watch it which I hope will be tonight.

Greetings,

I can understand and also appreciate the importance of that ULF content, especially to those with systems capable of reproducing them. smile.gif



Regards,
post #135 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I have heard outstanding audio presentations that don't offer bitrates over 21 Mbps. Lower video bitrates might be a different story although even that isn't a given.

Regards,

Ralph,

I haven't seen the disc yet. So I am not saying it isn't a reference video release. I don't watch the bitrate meter when viewing a disc, but I am surprised how low the average bitrate is on the release. It just seems as the format has matured the average bitrate is getting lower on many newer big release titles.

I just feel if there is space on the disc let the movie take up as much room as possible. I have a feeling since the Target disc is moving all the extras from the standard release over to the bonus disc with additional features that they are giving that version more room to breathe. Paramount did the same with the Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol Best Buy exclusive.

We will see, but could the Target version be better than 100/100 of the standard release? biggrin.gif

Tok
post #136 of 567
wrt the ULF content, the studios are dumbing down the format so consumers that use TV speakers or cheap HTiB and soundbar systems don't blow anything.

It's been going on since the DVD boom. Once the format got popular and it was more than enthusiasts watching on capable high end systems, the studios started cost cutting releases and modified their multi-channel surround tracks so they downmixed more efficiently without creating harmful side effects for the HTiB crowd.

They should really include HTiB mixes and full fledged theater mixes on the discs.
post #137 of 567
^^^
I'm not saying your wrong, but from I've heard this year the audio has been pretty amazing. Wasn't this the BD someone warned us about possibly damaging our speakers? I'll let you know later tonight about that. I have a sub on it's last leg and I hope it makes it through the movie. Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a sub repairman biggrin.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 9/10/13 at 2:28pm
post #138 of 567
I cancelled my pre-order a few months back basically on the basis of poverty, but also out of pique over the 3D screening I saw.

After seeing cast members gushing in the promo videos about how This Is What 3D Was Invented For, I found the artificiality of the 3D - and I didn't even know it was merely converted 2D - off-putting. Looking over the shoulder of an out-of-focus Chris Pike looking like a cardboard cutout took me out of the reality of the film.

So did the plethora of explosions off the screen and towards the audience that evaporated harmlessly.

3D should look real, not like a flip-book. Do the dimensionality behind the screen surface, where it can be believable, not out front, where it can't.

The only 3D presentation I've ever felt used it believably was the trailer for a nature film that ran before Tron: Legacy. That trailer let me choose what plane I wanted to converge my eyes on and focus on, so I could look at the different animals at my choice.

Would any director allow the audience that much freedom to choose what to pay attention to? Maybe stage directors, because they don't have any choice, but film directors want to guide our attention with devices like shallow focus and pull focus - hence the cardboard cutouts. Tip to 3D directors: Avoid any hint of "cardboard cutout" images - use selective focus instead, just like you would in 2D

I'll be buying only the least expensive version of any Blu-ray, as long as it includes a 2D version for my 9'6" by 5'4" screen.

Buy a 3D projector? Not a chance.
Edited by Philnick - 9/10/13 at 2:43pm
post #139 of 567
Well Im very angry. I got the 3D combo pack from Walmart and even though the 3D disc claims to have Dolby TrueHD 7.1in the menu it does not. It is only the 2D version that has the TrueHD 7.1 even though both the 3D and 2D audio menu says it has it. Ive had this happen with other 3D blurays before too. Anyone else have this issue?!mad.gif
post #140 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

^^^
I'm not saying your wrong, but from I've heard this year the audio has been pretty amazing. Wasn't this the BD someone warned us about possibly damaging our speakers? I'll let you know later tonight about that. I have a sub on it's last leg and I hope it makes it through the movie. Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a sub repairman biggrin.gif

wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #141 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Well Im very angry. I got the 3D combo pack from Walmart and even though the 3D disc claims to have Dolby TrueHD 7.1in the menu it does not. It is only the 2D version that has the TrueHD 7.1 even though both the 3D and 2D audio menu says it has it. Ive had this happen with other 3D blurays before too. Anyone else have this issue?!mad.gif

I have the 3D from Amazon and it has TrueHD 7.1
post #142 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Well Im very angry. I got the 3D combo pack from Walmart and even though the 3D disc claims to have Dolby TrueHD 7.1in the menu it does not. It is only the 2D version that has the TrueHD 7.1 even though both the 3D and 2D audio menu says it has it. Ive had this happen with other 3D blurays before too. Anyone else have this issue?!mad.gif

My standard 3D disc played on my Oppo 103 shows 7.1 when i press the audio button. My receiver also shows DolbyTrue 7.1 so I assume it is.
post #143 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I can understand and also appreciate the importance of that ULF content, especially to those with systems capable of reproducing them. smile.gif



Regards,


Hi Ralph,

You have a sub that goes down pretty low. Mine is only a ported sub tuned at 18hz. but I can tell when the lower stuff is missing. I am obviously not alone in thinking this is not good bass extension. I wonder if this is something you could add to your reviews. I am always disapointed when they filter the ULF. I went in blind again and like the hobbit, avengers ect. I feel a little let down after your great review.

After watching blu-ray I still loved it like I did in the IMAX theater, but man I wish it had a little more on the low end.

Best,

Brad
post #144 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

As long as it doesn't have the shrilling/piercing sounds that my theater had, it'll be an instant buy for me.
I had the same problem in the theater, and despite having high frequency hearing loss, I often jammed my fingers in my ears. The overall volume wasn't excessive.
post #145 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascoral View Post

My standard 3D disc played on my Oppo 103 shows 7.1 when i press the audio button. My receiver also shows DolbyTrue 7.1 so I assume it is.

When I put it into my PS3 Slim and the movie starts it only says Dolby Digital on the display of my Onkyo NR-809 even when TrueHD is selected under the menu. When I put in the 2D version and the movie starts it says Dolby TrueHD on display. Ive had this happen with other 3D Blurays but not every one. Makes me angry.mad.gif Makes me wonder why this happens some time but not everytime. Meaning my setup will/has played a 3D Dolby TrueHD soundtrack before. It only happens with discs bought from Walmart.
post #146 of 567
walmart could be the blame here?
post #147 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

^^^
I'm not saying your wrong, but from I've heard this year the audio has been pretty amazing. Wasn't this the BD someone warned us about possibly damaging our speakers? I'll let you know later tonight about that. I have a sub on it's last leg and I hope it makes it through the movie. Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a sub repairman biggrin.gif

The issue is specifically LFE extension due to the steep filter. Level and dynamics are both top notch so those warnings are still worth considering.
post #148 of 567
got my copy, and unfortunately, I cannot watch it tonight frown.gif Gotta wait a n o t h e r d a y....................Did open it up, and it can be deceiving that the grey disc on the right is actually the DVD. The Bluray is underneath the ultraviolet slip.....
post #149 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

When I put it into my PS3 Slim and the movie starts it only says Dolby Digital on the display of my Onkyo NR-809 even when TrueHD is selected under the menu. When I put in the 2D version and the movie starts it says Dolby TrueHD on display. Ive had this happen with other 3D Blurays but not every one. Makes me angry.mad.gif Makes me wonder why this happens some time but not everytime. Meaning my setup will/has played a 3D Dolby TrueHD soundtrack before. It only happens with discs bought from Walmart.

are you bitstreaming? the ps3 can only do DTS MAN in bitstream when doing 3d, but not trueHD. you can play trueHD in regular 2d only.

that is why you are not getting trueHD with 3d.

Jacob
post #150 of 567
I got my local Target to price match the Walmart.com price for their own 3d special version! Now I have the best copy...but the worst cover art. Bleh. Time to fire it up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review