or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 9

post #241 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Anyway possible it's a setting on your player? My secondary audio was on and it wouldn't play TrueHD the other night. Now I have an excuse to watch this again smile.gif mine actually displayed DTS MA.

Thanks comfy for the reply! biggrin.gif

I'll have to check that out.

The reason why I ask about all this is I'm interested somewhat in buying this but I'm just wondering if maybe this is just an issue with NF discs or something else?
post #242 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post


Ah, the old "Your speakers are nothing compared to mine" and "I heard it on mine so you're wrong that it's not on yours" gambits. It's good to see them in play. I enjoyed the "my crossovers" cost as much/more than a lot of (read: your) speakers twist, too. Extra spicy!

I expect as much from you. Way to twist the point I was trying to get across. rolleyes.gif

I'll go ahead and dumb it down for you.

It has clearly been shown that there is clipping in this soundtrack. The soundtrack exhibited harshness that I have not heard in other movies that were as dynamic or more so. When comparing whether or not a movie is reference material or not; don't you think the equipment would have a large relevance as to the outcome? This had nothing to do with Ralphs review, but merely questioning those who said it was a reference material track.
post #243 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post


Ah, the old "Your speakers are nothing compared to mine" and "I heard it on mine so you're wrong that it's not on yours" gambits. It's good to see them in play. I enjoyed the "my crossovers" cost as much/more than a lot of (read: your) speakers twist, too. Extra spicy!

We all enjoy Ralph's reviews and trust his judgment; otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Instead we should be writing our own reviews and trying to get someone to publish them.

He takes a careful approach to what he does, and as far as I can tell has no agenda other than doing a good job. We sometimes disagree and express our differences, but in this case the whole thing is going off the rails. Now we've got guys pulling out rulers and chest thumping... approaching the experience with bias and looking for flaws rather than for enjoyment... schooling people on what they did--or did not--hear eek.gif

I followed Ralph's advice and watched Star Trek Into Darkness last night for the first time: "I would recommend going into your viewing with an open mind and see what the experience brings."

Thanks, Ralph, I enjoyed it immensely. I wasn't bothered by a single thing, well, except for the Nibirun's eyes and the weird Keenser dude.

Ralph, if this is over the line, feel free to have it removed.



Whew relief! Someone who didn't find anything wrong with the movie like myself smile.gif
post #244 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Whew relief! Someone who didn't find anything wrong with the movie like myself smile.gif

Yup. I watched an old John Wayne VHS tape on my 13" plasma from 15' away last night. That was a reference picture. wink.gif

And Tron didn't have any clipping in it either. smile.gif
post #245 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I expect as much from you. Way to twist the point I was trying to get across. rolleyes.gif

I'll go ahead and dumb it down for you.

It has clearly been shown that there is clipping in this soundtrack. The soundtrack exhibited harshness that I have not heard in other movies that were as dynamic or more so. When comparing whether or not a movie is reference material or not; don't you think the equipment would have a large relevance as to the outcome? This had nothing to do with Ralphs review, but merely questioning those who said it was a reference material track.



There was no clipping on this soundtrack when played on my setup and there wasn't any harshness. If there was clipping in the soundtrack does that mean no matter how loud we played it there was clipping or it was recorded so loud that it clipped our amp(s)?
post #246 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Yup. I watched an old John Wayne VHS tape on my 13" plasma from 15' away last night. That was a reference picture. wink.gif

And Tron didn't have any clipping in it either. smile.gif



Which movie? Lmao.
post #247 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Anyway possible it's a setting on your player? My secondary audio was on and it wouldn't play TrueHD the other night. Now I have an excuse to watch this again smile.gif mine actually displayed DTS MA.

That fixed my problem comfy thanks! biggrin.gif

I can now hear the full audio out of my rears and what a difference. biggrin.gif

Thanks. smile.gif
post #248 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

That fixed my problem comfy thanks! biggrin.gif

I can now hear the full audio out of my rears and what a difference. biggrin.gif

Thanks. smile.gif



I'm glad it's fixed very cool, and your welcome!
post #249 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

There was no clipping on this soundtrack when played on my setup and there wasn't any harshness. If there was clipping in the soundtrack does that mean no matter how loud we played it there was clipping or it was recorded so loud that it clipped our amp(s)?

The former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Which movie? Lmao.

Pick one lol.

The beautiful thing here is; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you felt it was a reference disc, fantastic. I didn't and we'll leave it at that. smile.gif
post #250 of 567
Have you considered that perhaps your hearing no longer can detect clipping or undue distortion? Perhaps even that you may not be familiar with how it sounds?

TDKR for example has a lot of clipping and pretty obvious too but I do not recall any reviews taking note of it or the fact it suffers from LOud-FIdelity syndrome. TDK mix is superior in comparison.

My hearing is not as excellent as it was several years ago but excessive compression still stands out to me and is always fatiguing. Some forms of hearing loss makes those auditory cues difficult to discern for some.

With recordings, clipping can occur in several manners two of which is hard limiting which exceeds the dynamic range or a combination of peak and level limiting, see also threshing; which is below actual hard limiting yet with results effectively the same.

All this is independent and before possible amp clipping.

ST 2009 is not perfect for me, there are several sounds that I can't stand such as the drill in certain instance, but I enjoy playing that one much louder than STID and that is due to excessive compression and other issues.

Best Regards
KvE
Edited by KMFDMvsEnya - 9/12/13 at 4:36pm
post #251 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

The former.
Pick one lol.

The beautiful thing here is; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you felt it was a reference disc, fantastic. I didn't and we'll leave it at that. smile.gif



I don't doubt you experienced clipping as this isn't the first I heard this. Do you remember where in the movie, and was it your subs clipping or your mains? It makes me wonder if there were some bad discs. What's weird is many of us have good gear and we're all not experiencing the same thing.
post #252 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Have you considered that perhaps your hearing no longer can detect clipping or undue distortion? Perhaps even that you may not be familiar with how it sounds?

TDKR for example has a lot of clipping and pretty obvious too but I do not recall any reviews taking note of it or the fact it suffers from LOud-FIdelity syndrome. TDK mix is superior in comparison.

My hearing is not as excellent as it was several years ago but excessive compression still stands out to me and is always fatiguing. Some forms of hearing loss makes those auditory cues difficult to discern for some.

With recordings, clipping can occur in several manners two of which is hard limiting which exceeds the dynamic range or a combination of peak and level limiting, see also threshing; which is below actual hard limiting yet with results effectively the same.

All this is independent and before possible amp clipping.

ST 2009 is not perfect for me, there are several sounds that I can't stand such as the drill in certain instance, but I enjoy playing that one much louder than STID and that is due to excessive compression and other issues.

Best Regards
KvE



So basically everyone that doesn't experience the clipping doesn't hear too well or doesn't know what they're talking about? Well I like that better than maybe my setup is inferior rolleyes.gif
Here's a thought maybe some of the bass is extending lower than some people's equipment can handle wink.gif
post #253 of 567
Don't be daft, I simply postulated reasons to why you might notice any issues. I did not claim it is the case or is applicable to others but simple reality is many people do not take note of various things for a multitude of reasons.
Quite similar to the why some folks never notice problems with DNR or EE in BR transfers.

A friend of mine also has done an analysis of the audio and they found lots of limiting in the track as well.

If you are inferring that my system cannot play below 20hz you are sorely mistaken and I can enjoy a fair amount of ULF which is evident with the ST09 mix.
True, I cannot reproduce the prodigious depths of some other systems but those folks have reported similar dissatisfaction in the discrepancies between the two.

Best Regards
KvE
Edited by KMFDMvsEnya - 9/12/13 at 9:41pm
post #254 of 567
Take a look at every review of this movie and then report back what your findings are. Here's one, take note of what he says about the TrueHD soundtrack.


http://trekmovie.com/2013/09/06/star-trek-into-darkness-blu-ray-review/
Edited by comfynumb - 9/12/13 at 7:02pm
post #255 of 567
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9268/st_darkness_3d.html#Section4

"...I'm a little disappointed that 'Star Trek into Darkness' is all bombast, all the time.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack is very, very loud, and very aggressive with directional surround activity. Pretty much every scene has a million sound effects ping-ponging through every speaker in the room. Action scenes have plenty of rumbly bass, but it rarely hits the deepest registers. Dynamic range of the track sounds compressed to my ears, as if it has been mastered to sound good through small home-theater-in-a-box speakers. It reminds me of the current state of the music industry, which values loudness over fidelity. That's not to say that fidelity of this track is bad, per se, but highs can be a touch shrill and I never felt the musical score embrace me in its warmth or auditory depth, as the best soundtracks do.

Either the mix gets better as it goes, or I'd just settled in and gotten used to it, but my impression of the sound quality improved as the movie went on. Stinger sound effects genuinely jolted me out of my chair on more than one occasion.

I'm not the type of reviewer who hands out 5-star scores easily, because I believe that rating should be reserved for the very best of the best. Even though I'm sure most viewers will find this soundtrack perfectly satisfying, it falls a little short of greatness for me. "

Unlike Josh Z, I find it more obnoxious than he does and if I were grading on a 5 point scale I'd give STID a 3 and ST09 a 4 or 4.5.

In regards to appealing to perceived authority, there are numerous issues with many reviewers in how they reach their conclusions. -Aside note I find Josh Z to be often one of the better reviewers, especially with titles he is familiar with.
Many are really not qualified to make the assessments they do, for example many have never actually dealt with the medium of film first hand. For a lot their expectations of image quality is to be grain free with bright over-saturated colors and contrast, regardless of whether that is how the film was intended to appear.

Best Regards
KvE
Edited by KMFDMvsEnya - 9/12/13 at 9:29pm
post #256 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Take a look at every review of this movie and then report back what your findings are. Here's one, take note of what he says about the TrueHD soundtrack.


http://trekmovie.com/2013/09/06/star-trek-into-darkness-blu-ray-review/

Umm, not quite sure what I'm supposed to get out of this.
Quote:
Audio and Video Quality

The audio matches the pacing of the story, it’s bombastic through and through. The 7.1 Dolby TrueHD lossless track sounds great and Michael Giacchino’s score never sounded better."

OK, it sounds great. I know a lot of reviews that said the audio was great, and yet no one here would argue it being reference quality.

I watched Oblivion just shortly before this one, and using my SPL meter I was seeing peaks a good 4-5 db's higher than ID (were not talking bass frequencies either), and listening comfortably. I would go out on a limb and venture a guess that a few of those who thought it was a great sounding track were listening well (heavy on the well) below reference, or are less sensitive to clipping/distortion. No offense to anyone here, JMO.

I would put Oblivion in the "reference" category with ID falling a few rungs below this.
post #257 of 567
I had a chance to watch this yesterday and enjoyed more than I did in the theater. I found the audio to be pretty fantastic at times, but certain scenes exhibited that same limited/compressed sound that was heavily throughout Super 8 (IMO), and that's at 10 below reference. To me, I felt the soundtrack was a bit too harsh, and this is also after making sure night mode was off on my Onkyo. Then again, it sounded similar if not worse in the theater.

I did really enjoy the film, though, but I'm not a big Trek fan to begin with. I am, admittedly, a J.J. Abrams fanboy, though. biggrin.gif
post #258 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9268/st_darkness_3d.html#Section4

"...I'm a little disappointed that 'Star Trek into Darkness' is all bombast, all the time.

The Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack is very, very loud, and very aggressive with directional surround activity. Pretty much every scene has a million sound effects ping-ponging through every speaker in the room. Action scenes have plenty of rumbly bass, but it rarely hits the deepest registers. Dynamic range of the track sounds compressed to my ears, as if it has been mastered to sound good through small home-theater-in-a-box speakers. It reminds me of the current state of the music industry, which values loudness over fidelity. That's not to say that fidelity of this track is bad, per se, but highs can be a touch shrill and I never felt the musical score embrace me in its warmth or auditory depth, as the best soundtracks do.

Either the mix gets better as it goes, or I'd just settled in and gotten used to it, but my impression of the sound quality improved as the movie went on. Stinger sound effects genuinely jolted me out of my chair on more than one occasion.

I'm not the type of reviewer who hands out 5-star scores easily, because I believe that rating should be reserved for the very best of the best. Even though I'm sure most viewers will find this soundtrack perfectly satisfying, it falls a little short of greatness for me. "

Unlike Josh Z, I find it more obnoxious than he does and if I were grading on a 5 point scale I'd give STID a 3 and ST09 a 4 or 4.5.

In regards to appealing to perceived authority, there are numerous issues with many reviewers in how they reach their conclusions. -Aside note I find Josh Z to be often one of the better reviewers, especially with titles he is familiar with.
Many are really not qualified to make the assessments they do, for example many have never actually dealt with the medium of film first hand. For a lot their expectations of image quality is to be grain free with bright over-saturated colors and contrast, regardless of whether that is how the film was intended to appear.

Best Regards
KvE




So basically there are 15 or 20 AV enthusiasts (not one professional reviewer) talking about clipping. Because that review link you posted mentions no word of clipping. I'll even go as far to say that some just didn't find this movie appealing, or not worthy of the Star Trek name, therefore it's much easier to pick it apart. But since you and a few others heard clipping well there must be clipping. I'll ask again, at what point of the movie is there clipping so I and others can go investigate? I'm not claiming this is a 5 star, end all soundtrack with no flaws just that I never heard any clipping or shrill.
Edited by comfynumb - 9/13/13 at 1:29am
post #259 of 567
+1 My point exactly because I've found no one that liked this movie complaining about the AV. Is it an end all game over sound track no but it's pretty darn good.
post #260 of 567
What a FUN double feature! I thought PQ was better overall on part 2, but everything else was better about part 1. I thoroughly enjoyed both films and again what a great HT double feature IMO. cool.gif

As far as the audio between the two, the first is clearly the more refined overall better quality audio track. The first film you feel like you can just keep turning up the volume, it has more depth, feels more dynamic and the extension is noticeably better. The best way I can describe it with my setup is when you get that full range low end from the first, there is this shuttering type effect that is just not there with the 2nd film, and my buttkickers were being driven harder and with a bit more action/wobble if I had to describe it. Not to mention my BKs actually bottomed out quite a few times with the first film which really only happens with the better extending tracks, and even with the 2nd film being noticeably louder (more on this in a minute) my transducers were never pushed close to their limits. Just listen to the opening scene of part 1 vs anything in part 2 and if your low end digs down deep enough, you should be able to tell a difference with part 1 being superior.

People were not kidding when they say this track is LOUD! I watched the first film 2.5db louder than my standard -1 from reference at +1.5 and while loud, it was still very comfortable due to what felt like better dynamic range between more quiet scenes and action scenes. Trek 2 I turned down again to my normal -1 from reference and it was noticeably louder overall vs the first film. It actually felt a bit harsh at times as you could tell it was being pushed to the limit and the highs became a bit piercing on numerous occasions. It actually reminded me of the track from Pandorum as that track has a similar harshness to it that I rarely get with my setup.

Having said the above, I still thoroughly enjoyed the audio experience since I like highly aggressive audio in general so the warts mentioned above were a fairly minor issue overall for me. I would absolutely love to hear this track with the extension back in as it would give it that last bit of needed weight and conviction like the first film. The bass that was there though was still a LOT of fun IMO, hit hard and landed in all the right places so it was FAR from the total loss that some have eluded to IMO.

I can honestly understand both sides of this since like a lot of issues with A/V, some people are just more sensitive vs others depending on the issue. I can fully understand Ralph's enthusiastic review and I can also understand those who are disappointed. I fall somewhere in the middle of these overall and all things considered. One thing is for sure though and that is the track has relatively disappointing extension (again, just listen to the opening scene in the first vs anything in the 2nd) and gets pushed over the limit numerous times due to how hard the levels are driven in general resulting in harshness, compression and clipping. I cant think of a soundtrack that is mastered this loud overall in my entire collection which is not really a good thing for the reasons mentioned above. Again though, I still enjoyed it overall even in light of the fact that it was not technically as good as it could and should have been.

No qualms about the 2d PQ as it was fantastic.

Looking forward to checking out the 3d next. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by keilalajlb View Post

I suspect HDD has sour grapes regarding them movie. Sounded very biased from the start against this movie, and seems to have tainted the review of the AV as well.0LiUl

Nope. Read through Josh's review history and you will find quite a few movies with even lower movie ratings that scored higher technically vs STID. I thought Josh had some very valid and understandable critiques as far as the audio went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

So basically there are 15 or 20 AV enthusiasts (not one professional reviewer) talking about clipping. Because that review link you posted mentions no word of clipping. I'll even go as far to say that some just didn't find this movie appealing, or not worthy of the Star Trek name, therefore it's much easier to pick it apart. But since you and a few others heard clipping well there must be clipping. I'll ask again, at what point of the movie is there clipping so I and others can go investigate? I'm not claiming this is a 5 star, end all soundtrack with no flaws just that I never heard any clipping or shrill.

I don't think you are being fair here Comfy. If you want EXACT timestamps of clipping, make a post over at db and Nube or Maxmercy will provide that for you I am sure. I can give spots where I heard it if I run through parts again, but it would be easier and more specific if you ask them. I am usually not sensitive to clipping and honestly it still did not bother me much here, but its there as this track is pushed beyond the limit numerous times throughout and is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD.
Edited by Toe - 9/13/13 at 2:37am
post #261 of 567
I'll watch this again over the weekend and listen very closely.
post #262 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

What a FUN double feature! I thought PQ was better overall on part 2, but everything else was better about part 1. I thoroughly enjoyed both films and again what a great HT double feature IMO. cool.gif

As far as the audio between the two, the first is clearly the more refined overall better quality audio track. The first film you feel like you can just keep turning up the volume, it has more depth, feels more dynamic and the extension is noticeably better. The best way I can describe it with my setup is when you get that full range low end from the first, there is this shuttering type effect that is just not there with the 2nd film, and my buttkickers were being driven harder and with a bit more action/wobble if I had to describe it. Not to mention my BKs actually bottomed out quite a few times with the first film which really only happens with the better extending tracks, and even with the 2nd film being noticeably louder (more on this in a minute) my transducers were never pushed close to their limits. Just listen to the opening scene of part 1 vs anything in part 2 and if your low end digs down deep enough, you should be able to tell a difference with part 1 being superior.

People were not kidding when they say this track is LOUD! I watched the first film 2.5db louder than my standard -1 from reference at +1.5 and while loud, it was still very comfortable due to what felt like better dynamic range between more quiet scenes and action scenes. Trek 2 I turned down again to my normal -1 from reference and it was noticeably louder overall vs the first film. It actually felt a bit harsh at times as you could tell it was being pushed to the limit and the highs became a bit piercing on numerous occasions. It actually reminded me of the track from Pandorum as that track has a similar harshness to it that I rarely get with my setup.

Having said the above, I still thoroughly enjoyed the audio experience since I like highly aggressive audio in general so the warts mentioned above were a fairly minor issue overall for me. I would absolutely love to hear this track with the extension back in as it would give it that last bit of needed weight and conviction like the first film. The bass that was there though was still a LOT of fun IMO, hit hard and landed in all the right places so it was FAR from the total loss that some have eluded to IMO.

I can honestly understand both sides of this since like a lot of issues with A/V, some people are just more sensitive vs others depending on the issue. I can fully understand Ralph's enthusiastic review and I can also understand those who are disappointed. I fall somewhere in the middle of these overall and all things considered. One thing is for sure though and that is the track has relatively disappointing extension (again, just listen to the opening scene in the first vs anything in the 2nd) and gets pushed over the limit numerous times due to how hard the levels are driven in general resulting in harshness, compression and clipping. I cant think of a soundtrack that is mastered this loud overall in my entire collection which is not really a good thing for the reasons mentioned above. Again though, I still enjoyed it overall even in light of the fact that it was not technically as good as it could and should have been.

No qualms about the 2d PQ as it was fantastic.

Looking forward to checking out the 3d next. cool.gif
Nope. Read through Josh's review history and you will find quite a few movies with even lower movie ratings that scored higher technically vs STID. I thought Josh had some very valid and understandable critiques as far as the audio went.
I don't think you are being fair here Comfy. If you want EXACT timestamps of clipping, make a post over at db and Nube or Maxmercy will provide that for you I am sure. I can give spots where I heard it if I run through parts again, but it would be easier and more specific if you ask them. I am usually not sensitive to clipping and honestly it still did not bother me much here, but its there as this track is pushed beyond the limit numerous times throughout and is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD.



Well I respect your opinion and if you say you heard it, then you did. Yes it was very loud and probably too loud which is why during battle scenes I turned it down. I didn't want to take any chances blowing anything up, so maybe this is why I didn't hear the clipping, plus I've never clipped my setup, Sunfire amps don't clip easily. But I'll admit that if I left this turned up to -6 or farther it possibly could have started clipping slightly. This can be said of some music too, mainly overly compressed music.

So apologies to KMFD if I pushed my point a little too hard this time smile.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 9/13/13 at 4:26am
post #263 of 567
Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not an amp clipper biggrin.gif
post #264 of 567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

What a FUN double feature! I thought PQ was better overall on part 2, but everything else was better about part 1. I thoroughly enjoyed both films and again what a great HT double feature IMO. cool.gif

As far as the audio between the two, the first is clearly the more refined overall better quality audio track. The first film you feel like you can just keep turning up the volume, it has more depth, feels more dynamic and the extension is noticeably better. The best way I can describe it with my setup is when you get that full range low end from the first, there is this shuttering type effect that is just not there with the 2nd film, and my buttkickers were being driven harder and with a bit more action/wobble if I had to describe it. Not to mention my BKs actually bottomed out quite a few times with the first film which really only happens with the better extending tracks, and even with the 2nd film being noticeably louder (more on this in a minute) my transducers were never pushed close to their limits. Just listen to the opening scene of part 1 vs anything in part 2 and if your low end digs down deep enough, you should be able to tell a difference with part 1 being superior.

People were not kidding when they say this track is LOUD! I watched the first film 2.5db louder than my standard -1 from reference at +1.5 and while loud, it was still very comfortable due to what felt like better dynamic range between more quiet scenes and action scenes. Trek 2 I turned down again to my normal -1 from reference and it was noticeably louder overall vs the first film. It actually felt a bit harsh at times as you could tell it was being pushed to the limit and the highs became a bit piercing on numerous occasions. It actually reminded me of the track from Pandorum as that track has a similar harshness to it that I rarely get with my setup.

Having said the above, I still thoroughly enjoyed the audio experience since I like highly aggressive audio in general so the warts mentioned above were a fairly minor issue overall for me. I would absolutely love to hear this track with the extension back in as it would give it that last bit of needed weight and conviction like the first film. The bass that was there though was still a LOT of fun IMO, hit hard and landed in all the right places so it was FAR from the total loss that some have eluded to IMO.

I can honestly understand both sides of this since like a lot of issues with A/V, some people are just more sensitive vs others depending on the issue. I can fully understand Ralph's enthusiastic review and I can also understand those who are disappointed. I fall somewhere in the middle of these overall and all things considered. One thing is for sure though and that is the track has relatively disappointing extension (again, just listen to the opening scene in the first vs anything in the 2nd) and gets pushed over the limit numerous times due to how hard the levels are driven in general resulting in harshness, compression and clipping. I cant think of a soundtrack that is mastered this loud overall in my entire collection which is not really a good thing for the reasons mentioned above. Again though, I still enjoyed it overall even in light of the fact that it was not technically as good as it could and should have been.

No qualms about the 2d PQ as it was fantastic.

Looking forward to checking out the 3d next. cool.gif
Nope. Read through Josh's review history and you will find quite a few movies with even lower movie ratings that scored higher technically vs STID. I thought Josh had some very valid and understandable critiques as far as the audio went.
I don't think you are being fair here Comfy. If you want EXACT timestamps of clipping, make a post over at db and Nube or Maxmercy will provide that for you I am sure. I can give spots where I heard it if I run through parts again, but it would be easier and more specific if you ask them. I am usually not sensitive to clipping and honestly it still did not bother me much here, but its there as this track is pushed beyond the limit numerous times throughout and is LOUD, LOUD, LOUD.

Greetings,

Great post Todd. I appreciate your candid response and am glad that you enjoyed the movie. smile.gif


Regards,
post #265 of 567
anyone else having issues with the 7.1 track?
mine just comes across as dolby digital 5.1

all my other 7.1 blu rays work fine with my denon 891

the track is

Audio: English / Dolby TrueHD Audio / 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4342 kbps / 24-bit
(AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB)

thanks
post #266 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

anyone else having issues with the 7.1 track?
mine just comes across as dolby digital 5.1

all my other 7.1 blu rays work fine with my denon 891

the track is

Audio: English / Dolby TrueHD Audio / 7.1 / 48 kHz / 4342 kbps / 24-bit
(AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 640 kbps / DN -4dB)

thanks



I did at first, mine showed DTS MA, corrected this by turning off secondary audio in my Oppo 93. Not sure if this helps.
post #267 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Well I respect your opinion and if you say you heard it, then you did. Yes it was very loud and probably too loud which is why during battle scenes I turned it down. I didn't want to take any chances blowing anything up, so maybe this is why I didn't hear the clipping, plus I've never clipped my setup, Sunfire amps don't clip easily. But I'll admit that if I left this turned up to -6 or farther it possibly could have started clipping slightly. This can be said of some music too, mainly overly compressed music.

So apologies to KMFD if I pushed my point a little too hard this time smile.gif

This is not amp clipping, but clipping burned into the track. While easier to hear at higher volumes, you can hear it at lower volumes as well if your sensitive to the issue and your speakers are revealing. I only caught it a few times after I quit actively trying to hear it, but again I am not sensitive to it in general.
post #268 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I did at first, mine showed DTS MA, corrected this by turning off secondary audio in my Oppo 93. Not sure if this helps.

thank but I'm not sure what secondary audio is, I'm playing via PS3
post #269 of 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

thank but I'm not sure what secondary audio is, I'm playing via PS3



Ok I'm not familiar with the ps3 really. If there is a setup menu fur audio go into your settings and look for a secondary audio setting and if it's on turn it off. Or maybe the ps3 is not capable of TrueHD? Maybe Ralph or someone whose will comment on that.
Edited by comfynumb - 9/13/13 at 7:02am
post #270 of 567
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review