or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Floorstanding speaker recommendations please -- budget $1500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Floorstanding speaker recommendations please -- budget $1500 - Page 2

post #31 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

For floor standers, you might think about a pair of these JBL Studio 580s. With JBL's engineering, they will sound very clean and even, and with a compression tweeter and a 90 dB sensitivity, those things will blaze when you want to crank them. Plus, they look great too. $1600 for a pair.

Another great option for you would be these Emotiva Stealth 8 monitors. It's self powered so you only need to hook it up to your AVR's pre-outs. Its amp is a lot more powerful than what your Yamaha could provide, and more efficient too, so every watt goes further with that thing than a passive speaker. It has a very heavy duty 8" woofer, and a very robust AMT tweeter that can get very loud- 115 dB at one meter. It's performance measurements are great, it is a very neutral speaker. A pair of those are $1500 shipped, right on the nose for your budget.

For the sub, my fav by far on your list is the Hsu VTF3. Massive output, very high sound quality, lots of adjustability to get the sound you want, extremely flat frequency response, and great customer service. Of your list, I don't think Epik is taking orders right now, you might want to double check the availability on that one. Another sub you ought to look at is the Dayton Dual woofer kit. It has two very high quality drivers, and a absolutely inert cabinet. The sound quality on that thing will be very high, and it won't be shy of output either. You do have to do a bit of assembly, but that is very easy, all you need is a screwdriver, some glue, and an hour of assembly time. It's shipped price will probably be closer to $1k, and it is pretty heavy, but I think that thing would rule.

Wow, those JBLs look awesome! Am adding this to the tower list. Thanks.
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

Yes, I did not consider the cost of bookshelf speaker stands and also the loud levels of the towers. For now, I think I should stop ping ponging and stick with the floorstanding speakers smile.gif I have spent considerable time researching online in this segment.

As far as the woofer is concerned, would tower speakers plus twin subwoofer be an overkill for an apartment-type living room? I have about 20 feet between my normal listening position and the speakers.

At 20 feet, you will want some capable speakers, especially if you like to crank them from time to time. I don't think that would be overkill, however your neighbors are going to be hearing those subs depending on how you set them up. Are you seated against a wall in your room? How many different places can you put your subs?
post #33 of 80
Acoustic,

How big of a room are you GOING to put this system in (meaning next apartment) and approximately how far away will the listening positions be in relation to the front speakers? 20 ft away from speakers ( NOW, I assume) is pretty far away.........

Every recommendation shadyj has made so far would be spot on for your situation.......smile.gif
post #34 of 80
Thread Starter 
I will have two options in my new living room. I can either be placed approx 20 ft away from the speakers with an open area behind me that leads to the kitchen and other rooms, or I could be placed 12 ft away from the speakers with a wall behind me, but thankfully that wall is not shared with our neighbors smile.gif Which one is a better setup?
post #35 of 80
Monitor Audio!!!

The BEST speaker in your entire list.

I have the RS6, I believe the RX's have a better tweeter in them. You would be amazed with them. Almost guaranteed!
post #36 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

I will have two options in my new living room. I can either be placed approx 20 ft away from the speakers with an open area behind me that leads to the kitchen and other rooms, or I could be placed 12 ft away from the speakers with a wall behind me, but thankfully that wall is not shared with our neighbors smile.gif Which one is a better setup?

The place with the open area behind you might give you a better sound stage because you are not very close to any acoustically reflective surfaces (except maybe the floor), however bass is likely to sound the worst here (unless you do something like near-field placement). The spot with the wall behind you ought to give you good bass reinforcement, however the acoustic reflection from the wall behind you could be a detriment to the sound, although it could be softened by acoustic treatments, like those acoustic panels. I would recommend trying your speakers in both areas and stick with whatever sounds best to you.
post #37 of 80
if you live in an apartment you will disturb your neighbors with the sub, you cant avoid that not matter if you place the sub on the sealing, shadyj you know that...
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

if you live in an apartment you will disturb your neighbors with the sub, you cant avoid that not matter if you place the sub on the sealing, shadyj you know that...

Not necessarily true, depends on the building construction. New buildings often have concrete in between floors and apartments (at least in NYC), which really helps.

I have no issues or complaints from neighbors with my setup, which I crank from time to time.
Edited by Purpose - 8/29/13 at 7:31pm
post #39 of 80
^^^^^you have good neighbors biggrin.gif
Edited by losservatore - 8/29/13 at 7:57pm
post #40 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

^^^^^you have good neighbors biggrin.gif

We do indeed. But, we also have a good building. We have tested it by going into other apts while playing music. And, I have definitely lived in buildings where that test would not go so well.
Suffice it to say, construction is a very important question any time we move now.
post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

Hi,

I have been a long time viewer and I am really grateful for the wealth of information available here. Thanks! This has given me a head start in my search for quality speakers for my medium-sized apartment living room. I will be moving to a much larger living room once my apartment lease expires later this year. So I am looking for a relatively long-term investment. My budget is $1500 (I can go over by ~200) for the pair, and I want to spend another $800 on a quality subwoofer. I currently own a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. I will be using these speakers for 30% TV watching, 30% movies and the rest music. I mostly listen to classic rock, hard rock, and a little bit of metal. I also listen to current party hits when I have friends come over at my place on Friday evenings smile.gif. My priority is great value for buck! smile.gif.

I have shortlisted some models based on online reviews. I am not sure if I would be able to audition all of them given that I only have access to the Best Buy stores nearby. So here is the list of Floorstanding speakers I have liked so far, please let me know what you think.

1. PSB Image T6
2. KEF Q900
3. Monitor Audio Silver RX6 (not sure if RX8 is worth the extra bucks)
4. The new 2013 GoldenEar Technology's Triton Seven -- have seen great reviews online, not sure if it is available to order, but I can wait if they are really good.
5. Focal 726
6. NHT Absolute Tower
7. B&W 683 (can easily audition them here at Best Buy)
8. Paradigm Monitor 9 (can consider Monitor 11 if it is worth the upgrade)
9. Polk RTI A9
10. Revel F12

I am leaning towards the T6 based on the gamut of positive reviews I see everywhere, the Q900s are a close second. I am open to considering other options outside this list as well.

For the subwoofer, I am mostly looking to get the HSU Research VTF3, but I am also considering the SVS PB12-NSD, Rythmic F12, Power Sound Audio XS15, and the Epic Empire

Thanks in advance!

In this price range I must recommend the deftech supertower 8040's. I use them in a 5.1 they sound awesome, in 2.1 for music they are incredible. Go demo them at Mongolia in best buy.
post #42 of 80
Do you think this wont disturb your neighbors when you crank from time to time? I live in a town house and I'm Lucky that I have good neighbors. The best I can do is invite them to my house and be very good friends. biggrin.gif


Power sound audio xs30

Edited by losservatore - 8/29/13 at 9:57pm
post #43 of 80
My vote still for the #3 monitor audio and shadyJ choice Dayton sub ,I prefer sealed sub for music.
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Do you think this wont disturb your neighbors when you crank from time to time? I live in a town house and I'm Lucky that I have good neighbors. The best I can do is invite them to my house and be very good friends. biggrin.gif


Power sound audio xs30

Whoa - thats a different animal. NICE.

I have an SB12. Great sub, in particular for music (which is the primary focus of my system), but no where near the power of that beast. Perhaps that helps explain why we haven't disturbed the neighbors yet.

Now, if I get some more space ....
Edited by Purpose - 8/30/13 at 6:41am
post #45 of 80
Thanks Purpose , when I was looking for speakers, the paradigm speakers like yours were on my top list,but they were over my budget.


You have a nice setup.
Edited by losservatore - 8/29/13 at 11:28pm
post #46 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

The place with the open area behind you might give you a better sound stage because you are not very close to any acoustically reflective surfaces (except maybe the floor), however bass is likely to sound the worst here (unless you do something like near-field placement). The spot with the wall behind you ought to give you good bass reinforcement, however the acoustic reflection from the wall behind you could be a detriment to the sound, although it could be softened by acoustic treatments, like those acoustic panels. I would recommend trying your speakers in both areas and stick with whatever sounds best to you.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Will try the two set ups when I get there!
post #47 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

My vote still for the #3 monitor audio and shadyJ choice Dayton sub ,I prefer sealed sub for music.

Thanks losservatore for your inputs. The Monitor Audio, emp tek, JBL and DT have received strong recommendations in the floorstanding range in this thread. I would like to prune the list down to a manageable few before I start my auditions for the ones available in my area. Any thoughts on the other speakers in the list which are a good value? If I do get a chance to audition them I can compare their performance on a relative scale. Thanks.
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

Thanks losservatore for your inputs. The Monitor Audio, emp tek, JBL and DT have received strong recommendations in the floorstanding range in this thread. I would like to prune the list down to a manageable few before I start my auditions for the ones available in my area. Any thoughts on the other speakers in the list which are a good value? If I do get a chance to audition them I can compare their performance on a relative scale. Thanks.

Just a heads up on the EMP speakers; they generally have a Black Friday sale (October) and last year had everything 45% off eek.gif I am not sure you are planning to wait that long, but having heard a good number of the speakers on your list and the EMPs, they offer ridiculous value at that sale price.
post #49 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Just a heads up on the EMP speakers; they generally have a Black Friday sale (October) and last year had everything 45% off eek.gif I am not sure you are planning to wait that long, but having heard a good number of the speakers on your list and the EMPs, they offer ridiculous value at that sale price.

Wow. That is an incredible value at 45% off! I am in no hurry to purchase these speakers smile.gif
post #50 of 80
post #51 of 80
Emp tek strength, midrange.

Monitor audio strength, bass and tweeter.
post #52 of 80
Thread Starter 
Okay, I have pretty much narrowed my options down to Emp tek and Monitor Audio RX 6 for the floorstanders. I have also heard good reviews for the PSB T6, KEF Q900s and the Ascend Sierra Towers, in this forum and elsewhere, so just wanted to know if these are in the same league as RX 6? Thanks.
post #53 of 80
The Sierra towers are fantastic, but they start at $1900. I think those choices are all very comparable, I have read a lot of good things about the PSB T6. Your best bet is to find some dealers nearby and listen. Crutchfield sells PSB and have a 60 day return policy, and EMP also has a 30 day trial (but they do not pay return shipping).
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

Okay, I have pretty much narrowed my options down to Emp tek and Monitor Audio RX 6 for the floorstanders. I have also heard good reviews for the PSB T6, KEF Q900s and the Ascend Sierra Towers, in this forum and elsewhere, so just wanted to know if these are in the same league as RX 6? Thanks.

The Sierra Towers will be a clear step up from everything on the list, but they are also more expensive smile.gif
post #55 of 80
Ascend sierra cost 2,000 for the black matte color ,sierra center 1,000 +, sierra bookshelf around 1,000.

So that's around 4,000 on a 5.0 .
Edited by losservatore - 8/30/13 at 11:54am
post #56 of 80
I would absolutely love to switch to a raal tweeter sierra setup. Oh man that would be so niceee
post #57 of 80
Thread Starter 
$2000 might be stretching my speaker budget a little bit, leaving just over $500 for the subwoofer....I guess, I might have to drop the Sierra Towers and settle with one of the other options in the list. frown.gif
post #58 of 80
Because that is such a big space, I might suggest spending more on the sub(s). Subwoofers see the entire volume of a space so even though you are only using a portion of that room, the entire area needs to be pressurized to achieve satsifactory bass. Because of this, I would consider adjusting your budget to spend $1000 on your towers/bookshelves, and take that extra $500 and put it towards a nice pair of subs.

For example, a pair of EMP E55Tis and a pair of Rythmik LV12R would make a great foundation, and you can substitute the EMPs with those JBLs or PSB, or what have you. The Sierra Towers are fantastic, but I feel you won't be able to budget enough for an appropriate sub.
post #59 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticdelight View Post

$2000 might be stretching my speaker budget a little bit, leaving just over $500 for the subwoofer....I guess, I might have to drop the Sierra Towers and settle with one of the other options in the list. frown.gif

Going with Monitor Audio is not a settling situation. They are the best speakers of all of them that you've listed (in my opinion).

Have you read the Stereophile review of their predecessor? I've heard great things about the RS6 having an improved tweeter. You will get more from the RX6 than emp tek, psb, and Kef. Kef may be the most average of all of them, the new Q series hasn't had particularly great reviews from what I've read.

Edit: I also want to add that at $350 the Emp Tek speakers may be the best value but the Monitor Audio RX6's are the higher quality option. Fit and finish are immaculate, sound is even better. biggrin.gif
Edited by Valtyr - 8/30/13 at 1:38pm
post #60 of 80
Thread Starter 
Ok, here is what I have based on the recommendations so far. Thank you all for posting!

1. Emp tek towers or bookshelves such as Ascend NRT Sierra-1 or NHT classic 3s with
1(a) Power sound audio XS30 / dual Dayton woofer kit / Rythmic FV15 (OR)
1(b) a pair of SVS PB-12 subs / a pair of Rythmik LV12R subs

2. Monitor Audio RX 6 or any other comparable towers in this price range with smaller subs such as HSU VTF3 / Rythmik LV12R/ Power Sound Audio XS15.

The first option helps me save some money from the speakers and spend more on the subs.

And do I need an amp upgrade if I take option 2? Not sure if the Yamaha RX V675 will have enough juice to power the big tower speakers. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Floorstanding speaker recommendations please -- budget $1500