or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 270
Thread Starter 
gr8 to hear your exp Dan. please provide your settings when convenient......
post #32 of 270
Thread Starter 
Lots of reviews already @ BB & 97% would recommend to family/friends. My wife & I are amazed @ how well this picture looks. It has very decent black levels for a led & no flashlighting(samsung).
post #33 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

gr8 to hear your exp Dan. please provide your settings when convenient......

I started with the settings defined below in the link and modified from there. I found that these settings are pretty close to the built in Cinema profile, which is what I liked best out of the box anyway. I noticed though that the Standard profile gives that "soap" opera look, if that makes sense. I think it's the motion blur reduction settings that give it that look. The settings below have all the fancy image processing type settings turned off (e.g., Vivid, A.I., etc.)

Panasonic E60 Series Picture Settings and Calibration
post #34 of 270
Well I ordered the 58" E60 from Best Buy today. I was going to go with Amazon but Best Buy took a little off to make the ability to return it locally and the old set haul away be very appealing. Plus Amazon looks like a 1 week turnaround, Best Buy is delivering it Friday.

Can't wait. I've been looking for about a month and truly I could not find a set that has a better value. It hits all the right features - size, quality, input lag and especially price. It doesn't excel in any of those areas but the overall package is a fantastic value. I'll share my impressions when I get it.
post #35 of 270
Thread Starter 
There is an important thing to know about all Panasonic HDTVs! This coming from the owner's manuals of all Panasonic HDTV Models(incl 2013)

● When audio from other equipment connected to this unit, via HDMI, is output using the Toslink Optical “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” only 2CH Stereo Audio is passed.

In other words, due to Panasonic's implementation of DRM, NO 5.1 surround sound pass-through!
Edited by leftyguitar1963 - 10/4/13 at 8:52pm
post #36 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

There is an important thing to know about all Panasonic HDTVs! This coming from the owner's manuals of all Panasonic HDTV Models(incl 2013)

● When audio from other equipment connected to this unit, via HDMI, is output using the Toslink Optical “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” only 2CH Stereo Audio is passed.

In other words, due to Panasonic's implementation of DRM, NO 5.1 surround sound pass-through!

Dammit. I wish I saw this before I bought the TV. I was literally coming to post about the fact that I'm not able to get Dolby Digital output from the TV toslink passed through HDMI from my cable box or TivoHD. Netflix on the TV works just fine. It passes the Dolby Digital to the receiver just fine. Your post helped me track down similar issues on the internet. It looks like it comes down to Panasonic's HDAVI control. If your device doesn't support that then no go.

So frustrating. I love the TV. The picture is great, the price was wonderful, the size is just about right. But this is driving me crazy. I have an older Yamaha receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs so I rely on the Toslink optical for audio. I only have 3 inputs and I need 4. The TV was supposed to help me get rid of my HDMI switch (which does what the TV doesn't just fine, pass all Dolby Digital through to the receiver from HDMI input).

It's a stupid decision from Panasonic and is enough to make me want to get a Samsung or Sony instead. The only problem is they are 200-300 more for a similar size TV which is pretty much the cost of updating my aged receiver. I might as well just start looking for a more modern HDMI receiver and run everything through the receiver instead of the TV. sigh.
post #37 of 270
I just bought this set and brought it home. I got the TC-L50EM60 50" at Sears for 548 - bought it online using ebates and got 7% cash back. I also bought a $550 giftcard at my local supermarket on my Amex Blue Cash Preferred which give me 6% cash back. So all and all I paid $502 after sales tax and for that it's the best value for the money I could find in this space.

Does anyone know how to turn off the 240hz Back Blinking? I can't seem to find it in any of the custom video option screens.
post #38 of 270
Well unfortunately now I'm lost. I love this TV. The picture is amazing. I can't even believe how good it is now that I have it in my house, but the audio problems are plaguing me.

I have a ~10 year old receiver that doesn't have HDMI. It only has optical inputs. So since the TV doesn't pass through Dolby digital through the optical out from an HDMI source, I need to run the optical straight from the source (the PS3, the TivoHD and the CableBox). By doing so, I've introduced some pretty severe out of sync issues where the sound comes through before the video. I've done everything I can to eliminate it. The only way it's unnoticeable is if I turn on Game Mode. Unfortunately that degrades the nice calibrated cinema settings I have. I'm not even sure what to do at this point.

One thought is getting a new receiver with HDMI passthrough. Maybe the optical straight from the source is the issue or maybe just a more modern receiver with audio delay features could solve the problem. Alternatively I take it back to Best Buy (I have about 11 days left to decide) and get something like the more expensive Sony 60R550A. Or go sideways to the Vizio E601i-a3.

Anyone else using a home theater setup with a receiver? Do you have the same issues? Are you running audio through the optical or HDMI?
post #39 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

The E60 actually has a game mode? I thought it didn't. Great news if it does!

Absolutely! The lag is actually pretty darn bad without it turned on but not noticeable with Game Mode on. As always though there is that weird problem where watching Blu-Rays on PS3 or something means you should turn game mode OFF while watching the movie and then remember to turn it back ON after you're done.

Also I can confirm others reports of some moderate DSE on these TVs. Honestly I'm still trying to decide how much it annoys me. It's something I really don't notice when I'm not looking for it but unfortunately since I have a week left on the return window I'm thinking about it a lot.
post #40 of 270
Thread Starter 
@garath It's very likely the Sony will resolve your audio issues. The Viz will incur the same problems. If u retain the E Series pick up an up to date AVR with the $$ saved by not upgrading to the Sony......... Good luck
post #41 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

@garath It's very likely the Sony will resolve your audio issues. The Viz will incur the same problems. If u retain the E Series pick up an up to date AVR with the $$ saved by not upgrading to the Sony......... Good luck

Someone just confirmed in the Sony 550A thread that the Sony does not drop the dolby digital from the optical output. It's definitely a Panasonic thing. Crap. I spent over an hour on the phone with Panasonic tech support and in the end they claim that it's just the type of sound coming from my devices that is incompatible with optical. Which is 100% BS as my $40 hdmi switch does it just fine. I give up with the tech support.

However, after much consideration I opted to bring my receiver into this decade instead of jumping on a different TV that is a minimum of $400 more and could possibly have a much worse picture than what I have right now. I am VERY happy with the Panasonic's picture. I don't see any clouding, backlight bleed, or flashlighting. It is an excellent screen and blows my old lamp TV out of the water. I watched Epic on bluray over the weekend with my son and was amazed at the picture. Completely satisfied with it.

I grabbed a Yamaha v673 from Amazon for $400, $100 less than upgrading to the Sony 550A TV. I can set the audio delay on a per input basis through the receiver if the auto lip sync feature doesn't work. It should solve my problem quite nicely. Very frustrating though. I should not have to do that
post #42 of 270
I bought the 58 inch set from Costco on Saturday and watched a few football games over the weekend. Last night my wife and I watched an HD movie and I was disappointed to find clouds all over the set in dark scenes, not just in the corners. :eek:This will probably be a deal breaker for me if there is no fix, though I might try a second set. Fortunately the box just fits in my RAV so it won't be too much trouble to do a swap. I have 90 days to return. Anyone else have this problem?

I am used to a bit of this in the corners, as my old set is a 46" Sony LCD, but it not as severe. Lew
post #43 of 270
Thread Starter 
Lew, there have been a few reports of DSE. Try and swap it out & good luck on the next 1.,.,
post #44 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Black View Post

I bought the 58 inch set from Costco on Saturday and watched a few football games over the weekend. Last night my wife and I watched an HD movie and I was disappointed to find clouds all over the set in dark scenes, not just in the corners. :eek:This will probably be a deal breaker for me if there is no fix, though I might try a second set. Fortunately the box just fits in my RAV so it won't be too much trouble to do a swap. I have 90 days to return. Anyone else have this problem?

I am used to a bit of this in the corners, as my old set is a 46" Sony LCD, but it not as severe. Lew

Mine doesn't have any DSE that I can notice. I'd give an exchange a shot. Though I'm using the CNET settings and may just not be seeing them with the settings I'm using.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-600379/panasonic-tc-50le60-picture-settings/
post #45 of 270
Thanks for the responses. I have tried different settings for the TV to no avail, so I will try an exchange. I will also make sure I keep the box upright coming home. I did lay it on it's side with screen down for the 10 minute drive home. They are packaged well enough that I don't think this had an effect, but you never know. My other option is the 55' ST plasma, but our room has a lot of ambient and reflective light, which makes a reflective screen problematic. Lew
post #46 of 270
So what's the feeling on this set? other places are saying DSE is bad?
post #47 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So what's the feeling on this set? other places are saying DSE is bad?

I honestly don't know what's considered bad but it's hardly noticeable on my set. I see a faint clouding along the top and bottom when the screen is a solid color but I can't see how it would bother anyone. I don't see it at all during general movie or TV watching. CNET actually gave the TV pretty good marks on the normal LCD problems - uniformity, clouding, backlight bleed, etc.

I still think this TV is near unbeatable for the price. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to something like the Sony W900a but we're talking 1,000 dollars less and 4 more inches. From all the reviews I've read it's on par with all the competition at or around $1000-1500 - Samsung 6300, Samsung 6400, Sony 550a, the couple of Vizio models.
post #48 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

I still think this TV is near unbeatable for the price. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to something like the Sony W900a but we're talking 1,000 dollars less and 4 more inches. From all the reviews I've read it's on par with all the competition at or around $1000-1500 - Samsung 6300, Samsung 6400, Sony 550a, the couple of Vizio models.

Even with the set I currently have this is true. I'm exchanging mine for another to see if the DSE is any better but even if it's not I would still highly recommend this set at the price.
post #49 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewb View Post

Even with the set I currently have this is true. I'm exchanging mine for another to see if the DSE is any better but even if it's not I would still highly recommend this set at the price.
DSE is impossible to ignore correct? hard to make that statement then
post #50 of 270

This is my first post on AVS Forum. It’s been a valuable resource as I’ve worked at bringing my A/V and audio world into the 21sth century.

 

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the L58E60 when I saw the post about audio issues, so I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  I too have an older receiver with no HDMI – only 1 digital coax and 3 optical audio inputs. I don’t have a 5.1 (or 7.1) setup, just 2.0 with a pair of very nice old school studio monitors. We do very little TV watching, a moderate amount of Netflix streaming, and then DVDs and Blu-ray. From the Blu-ray player, I was intending to run HDMI to the TV and digital coax to the receiver. From the TV, I was intending to run optical audio out to the receiver for TV and streamed material. If I understand this correctly, I will have audio sync issues from the Blu-ray player, right? And from the TV, too?  Or should I just skip the digital coax from the Blu-ray to the receiver and let the optical out from the TV handle all of my audio content? I really don’t care about supporting 5.1 (now, anyway), but sync issues have me worried.


Edited by sparkbass - 10/11/13 at 11:24am
post #51 of 270
Swapped the set out and the new set has a more uniform panel. Clouding is milder and within expectations. Now I have to figure out how to coax a little better black levels from it. I used Dig Video Essentials last night and the picture seemed a little washed to me. I may set the black level at "dark", something the reviewers didn't do, and then see if I can use DVE to get detail in the shadows. i doubt that will work, but is worth a try. Lew

PS I went back to the CNET settings and see he has the panel brightness setting (under pro settings) at low. Mine is at medium. I will try that tonight and see if it improves the black level in a dim room.
Edited by Lew Black - 10/11/13 at 12:42pm
post #52 of 270
eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

So what's the feeling on this set? other places are saying DSE is bad?

As you can see in my post above , my second set is much better. I can see modest clouding on a solid dark screen, but nothing objectionable. Lew
post #53 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Black View Post

eek.gif
As you can see in my post above , my second set is much better. I can see modest clouding on a solid dark screen, but nothing objectionable. Lew

My new one will be here later this week. Hoping to replicate your experience.
post #54 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkbass View Post

This is my first post on AVS Forum. It’s been a valuable resource as I’ve worked at bringing my A/V and audio world into the 21sth century.

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the L58E60 when I saw the post about audio issues, so I want to make sure I understand this correctly.  I too have an older receiver with no HDMI – only 1 digital coax and 3 optical audio inputs. I don’t have a 5.1 (or 7.1) setup, just 2.0 with a pair of very nice old school studio monitors. We do very little TV watching, a moderate amount of Netflix streaming, and then DVDs and Blu-ray. From the Blu-ray player, I was intending to run HDMI to the TV and digital coax to the receiver. From the TV, I was intending to run optical audio out to the receiver for TV and streamed material. If I understand this correctly, I will have audio sync issues from the Blu-ray player, right? And from the TV, too?  Or should I just skip the digital coax from the Blu-ray to the receiver and let the optical out from the TV handle all of my audio content? I really don’t care about supporting 5.1 (now, anyway), but sync issues have me worried.

If you only have a 2.0 setup anyways, then you will be absolutely fine. The TV passes through PCM audio from other HDMI sources (such as your blu-ray player) which is essentially just 2ch audio. It actually sounds quite nice for 2ch sound. It was a problem for me as I enjoy the 5.1 surround sound and running an optical cable from my PS3 (the blu-ray player) to the receiver and the HDMI from the PS3 to the TV presented audio sync issues. For you, just do what you were intending to to - plug all HDMI devices into the TV and have one optical cable out to the receiver. You'll get good quality 2.0 sound. There are absolutely no sync issues when all the audio goes through the TV.

You won't have a problem with your current setup. However if you do choose to go with a 5.1 setup in the future, you will likely need a new receiver. On the bright side, I am very pleased I finally upgraded my receiver. My sound is better than ever and being able to set the audio delay on the receiver has all but eliminated any audio sync issues. The most important part - the PS3 was checked using the Disney WOW disc and the audio sync test. I found 90ms to be perfect.
post #55 of 270
Does anyone have any issues with the Amazon Video on Demand app? I'm a prime member and streaming video does not work, neither in HD or SD. I can hear sound, but no video. The screen just says loading video.

Streaming with Netflix on the other hand works just fine.

Thanks

Update .... from Panasonic Chat support
Quote:
We have received report from customers of not seeing amazon on demand we have sent off the information to our engineers and they are working along with amazon to have this issue resolved. It is a standard issue on any device bluray or TV, the issue is currently being worked on

Edited by dan.crouthamel - 10/13/13 at 11:23am
post #56 of 270
The DSE on this TV is it only on a white screen? like a Plasma?
post #57 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Black View Post

eek.gif
As you can see in my post above , my second set is much better. I can see modest clouding on a solid dark screen, but nothing objectionable. Lew
did you keep the 2nd TV?
post #58 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

did you keep the 2nd TV?

I have kept the 2nd TV and have a few things to add. I think the extreme clouding I had on the first set was caused by having the black level setting at "dark". I tried using that setting on this unit and had horrible clouding again. Also we are very pleased with the off axis viewing. The Sony we replaced started to wash out at only a few degrees off axis. I had it on a swivel stand and kept my seat in the sweet spot as I was the only one who noticed.wink.gif No need to do that with this Pannie,. Going through reviews it looks like this TV has much better black level than the IPS panel in the next line up. No need to spend more for the IPS unless you have viewers way off-axis, which spoils the geometry anyway.

I have decided that I will take the modest clouding over the reflectivity of a plasma. All of these sets have their downsides. If we only watched with low lighting the 55ST plasma would probably be my choice, but we often have lights on in the kitchen or watch football during the day, when the reflections are too annoying. For the $950 price I am quite happy with the TV. In another 5 or so years we may have OLED or other low power using sets that will give us a more uniform screen without the power use and reflectivity of plasma. If no so such improvements appear I can be happy with this set for a long time.
Edited by Lew Black - 10/17/13 at 12:46pm
post #59 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Black View Post

I have kept the 2nd TV and have a few things to add. I think the extreme clouding I had on the first set was caused by having the black level setting at "dark". I tried using that setting on this unit and had horrible clouding again. Also we are very pleased with the off axis viewing. The Sony we replaced started to wash out at only a few degrees off axis. I had it on a swivel stand and kept my seat in the sweet spot as I was the only one who noticed.wink.gif No need to do that with this Pannie,. Going through reviews it looks like this TV has much better black level than the IPS panel in the next line up. No need to spend more for the IPS unless you have viewers way off-axis, which spoils the geometry anyway.

I have decided that I will take the modest clouding over the reflectivity of a plasma. All of these sets have their downsides. If we only watched with low lighting the 55ST plasma would probably be my choice, but we often have lights on in the kitchen or watch football during the day, when the reflections are too annoying. For the $950 price I am quite happy with the TV. In another 5 or so years we may have OLED or other low power using sets that will give us a more uniform screen without the power use and reflectivity of plasma. If no so such improvements appear I can be happy with this set for a long time.
How's the PQ & brightness ? if someone walks into your dojo and sees your gig will they be wowed by your Picture ? is there a gaming mode?

I'm really thinking about getting this on Monday ....
post #60 of 270
Oh btw did you consider the Panny Plasma? s60 or 64?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread