or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 270
I'm reading reviews on Costco .com & some saying the TV lacks color ??
post #62 of 270
The picture is plenty bright, and the black level tested quite good for an LED, about half the level of the ISP unit tested by PCMag. My alternative was the 55" ST plasma, which is too reflective for my room. As my wife is a real TV watcher I also took energy usage in to account, not for personal savings, but to reduce my carbon footprint. I have also read about complaints with image retention and Pannie plasmas losing brightness with age, and neither has been a problem with LCD TV's, so I factored that in to. We occasionally watch some older 4/3 shows and it is nice to not have white or light gray bars on the sides, which you would get with the plasma.

Hope that helps. you might read both the CNET and PC mag reviews for more specifics. You might also go to the library and check some AV magazines for reviews. Lew
post #63 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

I'm reading reviews on Costco .com & some saying the TV lacks color ??

One of the reviewers said it was slightly lacking on color saturation, but needed a side by side with competitors to see it. I need to do more viewing with quality Bluray discs to see if I agree.
I think that was pointed out in the CNET review.
post #64 of 270

I just got back from Costco hoping to pick up a Panasonic S64, but it seems both stores near me sold out and it is now a "deleted product" in their catalog, so no luck there. However, while I was there I happened to find the TC-50LE64 and the TC-58LE64. At first, I was really digging the 50" (the size I was initially planning on getting), but when I saw the 58", the picture blew me away. This was the only set that they had connected to DirecTV and the sales person let me browse a few channels to check the picture. I checked out a few sports channels and even Oz the Great and Powerful in HD. Everything just looked absolutely stunning. I really didn't want to pull the trigger without doing some more research on the set and happened to find this thread. 

 

For the most part, this tv seems to get very positive reviews at least from consumers. Both CNET and PC Mag gave it average reviews, but honestly most of the things they complained about I didn't notice with my quick demo at Costco. The only major negatives I've read is that the sound quality was poor. I had questions about the input lag, but after reading this thread it seems like this isn't a major issue when you use the Game Mode.

 

I thought I was 100% set on the S64, but since its no longer available in my area I've decided to look elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to get the s60 because the Infinite Black on the s64 was very appealing to me. Also, the E60 seems to get great reviews on its black levels so maybe its not needed to go plasma.

 

This is a very hard decision and it seems like this tv is very underrated for what it is. I'm hoping to get a new set before the PS4 comes out, so maybe someone here has some suggestions?

post #65 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKPGuy View Post

I just got back from Costco hoping to pick up a Panasonic S64, but it seems both stores near me sold out and it is now a "deleted product" in their catalog, so no luck there. However, while I was there I happened to find the TC-50LE64 and the TC-58LE64. At first, I was really digging the 50" (the size I was initially planning on getting), but when I saw the 58", the picture blew me away. This was the only set that they had connected to DirecTV and the sales person let me browse a few channels to check the picture. I checked out a few sports channels and even Oz the Great and Powerful in HD. Everything just looked absolutely stunning. I really didn't want to pull the trigger without doing some more research on the set and happened to find this thread. 

For the most part, this tv seems to get very positive reviews at least from consumers. Both CNET and PC Mag gave it average reviews, but honestly most of the things they complained about I didn't notice with my quick demo at Costco. The only major negatives I've read is that the sound quality was poor. I had questions about the input lag, but after reading this thread it seems like this isn't a major issue when you use the Game Mode.

I thought I was 100% set on the S64, but since its no longer available in my area I've decided to look elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to get the s60 because the Infinite Black on the s64 was very appealing to me. Also, the E60 seems to get great reviews on its black levels so maybe its not needed to go plasma.

This is a very hard decision and it seems like this tv is very underrated for what it is. I'm hoping to get a new set before the PS4 comes out, so maybe someone here has some suggestions?
Dude so funny I'm in same boat - I'm looking at the e60 -s60 and Sammy Plasma f5350 , did you decide?
post #66 of 270

No I haven't, but I'm really leaning towards the E60 at this point...the price point is just really attractive for the size tv you are getting and the picture really blew me away. Someone suggested looking into the 55" Vizio M series, but I'd be paying more for features I don't really need (3D mostly). Plus I didn't find the picture on the Vizio to be that great, but then again the E60 is the only set I saw with real tv being show on it, not some dvd on a loop. 

post #67 of 270
I have an update after more viewing from different sources. The family agrees it is a keeper. We have had time to watch some blurays as well as HD programs, DVDs, football etc. The screen works well with the varied lighting of our room. Color seems pretty accurate and could be more so with calibration. Dark scenes are a little blue, but not enough to bother me. We, my 23 year old son, my wife, and I are thoroughly enjoying it. I will also add that the off angle viewing is a nice improvement over our Sony KDL46V4100. It ain't perfect, but it is much better than it has any right to be for such a modest cost. As good as the pic may be on the ST plasma series I think the reflections would bother me.

There is one thing about Panasonic operation that bothers me. My previous Sony sets made it easy to go between picture modes. I had one mode set up for daytime viewing and another for night time. I easily added a mode button to my URC remote. With the Panasonics you have to go through a series of buttons and screens to change modes. They should have that worked out by now.
Edited by Lew Black - 10/21/13 at 7:11pm
post #68 of 270
Not sure if that is a question for me, but yes, I am referring to the TC-L58E60 smile.gif I'm very happy with this set.
post #69 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

Not sure if that is a question for me, but yes, I am referring to the TC-L58E60 smile.gif I'm very happy with this set.
'
hows the gaming ?
post #70 of 270
I haven't used the gaming mode, but my friend who bought the same set does. He's happy with it - says there no input lag. That's all I can really say smile.gif
post #71 of 270
For those of you on the fence, here's my thoughts after owning the TV for just about 3 weeks:

I like the E60 a lot. I researched TVs for about a month and a half before deciding on it. I wanted to stay around 1k in price though I was willing to go up to $1500 if I really saw a strong jump in either size or picture quality. Unfortunately I didn't find any TVs that offered a compelling enough reason to jump the price. The panny gave me 8" over my old TV, a great picture quality (it goes head to head against any LCD TV up to 1500 for a similar size), and decent input lag. I'm not much of a console gamer, I do most of my gaming on PC but I do enjoy good performance when I do play.

Obviously an ST60 has an unrivaled picture quality. No LCD under 2k will beat that. However, I have a brighter room and no desire to baby the TV like I would be compelled to with a plasma. Also that input lag was a deal breaker. It's just too high. The S60 was right out with no anti-glare screen.

I am very pleased with the picture quality. The uniformity is good, very little LCD typical issues (clouding, DSE, backlight bleed), nothing noticeable during normal everyday TV watching. I did try to watch a movie at night with all the lights turned out and saw the LCD poor black level but this was literally the first time I've seen any poor black levels from this TV. 95% of the time I am incredibly pleased with the picture, contrast, blacklevels and brightness. I do not think there is a better deal under $1500.

If I had an unlimited budget, it'd be a different ballgame but priorities change over the years and I can't bring myself drop $2k+ on a TV again. Plus I couldn't imagine going smaller than what I have. Over the years, size is going to be one of the most important qualities of the TV. I could not find a better value than this TV.

I'm using the CNET settings except I bumped the backlight up 20 points for my everyday viewing. Very happy with it.
post #72 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

For those of you on the fence, here's my thoughts after owning the TV for just about 3 weeks:

I like the E60 a lot. I researched TVs for about a month and a half before deciding on it. I wanted to stay around 1k in price though I was willing to go up to $1500 if I really saw a strong jump in either size or picture quality. Unfortunately I didn't find any TVs that offered a compelling enough reason to jump the price. The panny gave me 8" over my old TV, a great picture quality (it goes head to head against any LCD TV up to 1500 for a similar size), and decent input lag. I'm not much of a console gamer, I do most of my gaming on PC but I do enjoy good performance when I do play.

Obviously an ST60 has an unrivaled picture quality. No LCD under 2k will beat that. However, I have a brighter room and no desire to baby the TV like I would be compelled to with a plasma. Also that input lag was a deal breaker. It's just too high. The S60 was right out with no anti-glare screen.

I am very pleased with the picture quality. The uniformity is good, very little LCD typical issues (clouding, DSE, backlight bleed), nothing noticeable during normal everyday TV watching. I did try to watch a movie at night with all the lights turned out and saw the LCD poor black level but this was literally the first time I've seen any poor black levels from this TV. 95% of the time I am incredibly pleased with the picture, contrast, blacklevels and brightness. I do not think there is a better deal under $1500.

If I had an unlimited budget, it'd be a different ballgame but priorities change over the years and I can't bring myself drop $2k+ on a TV again. Plus I couldn't imagine going smaller than what I have. Over the years, size is going to be one of the most important qualities of the TV. I could not find a better value than this TV.

I'm using the CNET settings except I bumped the backlight up 20 points for my everyday viewing. Very happy with it.
very cool review - I'm between this and the f5300 Plasma hmmm....you're right about the screen size too ...
post #73 of 270
Anyone have picture settings for the EM60? I'm currently using http://m.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/panasonic-viera-tc-l39em60-review/ settings, but I continue to battle the grainy image with dark colors and overall lack of crispness of the TV. I've tried using the CNET settings for the other models however I can't have the brightness down to five, as the screen is way too dark.
post #74 of 270
According to cnet everyone watches tvs in the dark and only watches film content .
post #75 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

According to cnet everyone watches tvs in the dark and only watches film content .

Lol. This is true. I mostly liked the CNET settings but I had to bump up the backlight. Just too dark. 90% of my household TV watching is TV shows with the lights on.
post #76 of 270
I never post and haven't logged-in in years, but wanted to give anyone interested in this series a heads up.

Just ordered the 55" ET60 from Sears for $899. Apparently you can also select your delivery date (Free) and I should have it tomorrow.
post #77 of 270
Damn, Best Buy dropped their price on the 58E60 to $899
post #78 of 270
Guess these are getting slowly phased out. Perhaps the reduction in prices.

I almost ordered last night thinking the price would rise, but I'm glad I didn't. I did go up to Sears earlier today to make sure I was 100% sure about my choice. The in-store price was $1094? Something like that.
post #79 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchy View Post

Guess these are getting slowly phased out. Perhaps the reduction in prices.

I almost ordered last night thinking the price would rise, but I'm glad I didn't. I did go up to Sears earlier today to make sure I was 100% sure about my choice. The in-store price was $1094? Something like that.

Yes, and when the new model comes out I will probably want to buy that ...
post #80 of 270
Had this tv on for maybe an hour and I love it already. I'm very impressed so far.

I think the blacks look pretty damn good, imo. Good enough for me anyway.
post #81 of 270
Great size & great price and a great gaming TV hmmm....

And CNET loved the TV ....
post #82 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

Damn, Best Buy dropped their price on the 58E60 to $899

Damn. I missed the price match by 10 days. That's really unfortunate. This TV is a bold faced steal at $900 imo.
post #83 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by garath View Post

Damn. I missed the price match by 10 days. That's really unfortunate. This TV is a bold faced steal at $900 imo.

I'm curious to know what is coming down the line. Seems like they are trying to sell off this run before introducing a new model.
post #84 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post

I'm curious to know what is coming down the line. Seems like they are trying to sell off this run before introducing a new model.
I'm sure well find out at CES 2014. Perhaps some sneak peaks before that.

Anyone know where we can see what the update(s) do? Any idea if they'll still update anything in the future?
post #85 of 270
Hello AVS Forum Members,

"Long time listener, first time caller."

I just picked up the TC-L58E60 from BB on Monday. I've been shopping for a new TV for the past 4 months, and I finally pulled the trigger. I must say, I am very happy with the 58" Panny so far. My only disappointment is that it has no swivel screen, but I knew that going in. I've been following this thread, and I was aware of the DSE issue. However, if I had not followed this thread, I don't think I would have ever noticed. smile.gif

Anyway, I would like to get some opinions. I've tried to take pictures of my screen to capture the DSE effect, which I would describe as faint gradient shifts when displaying a single solid color. I think the fullscreen images capture the effect well, but it may be harder to see on the smaller renderings below. What do you think? Would you consider this "good", "bad", or "normal"?

In my regular viewing environment, I hardly notice the DSE. I mean how often do I sit in the dark and stare at a single color on a television? wink.gif



post #86 of 270
I just picked this up on Amazon for $899 with a price match to another site. I added a sound bar (Panasonic SC-HTB20) and for less than $1100.00 have a pretty dang good setup I think. I had the Sony 550 in my cart and then stumbled across this after one more quick search. I think I scanned past it because I was set on a 60" and this is a 58. I can't wait for next week! smile.gif
post #87 of 270
The Single Tier XL Swivel from Amazon works well with the 58" Panny.
post #88 of 270
Anyone game on the e60? any feedback?
post #89 of 270
Has anyone been able to do a direct side by side comparison of the TC-58E60 & the Sharp LC-60LE650U?
post #90 of 270
Watched a little qualifying this morning.smile.gif IMG_20131102_210629_771.jpg 2097k .jpg file
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic TC-LxxE60,TC-5xLE64 & TC-LxxEM60 Owners' Thread