Originally Posted by mark haflich
There are not enough potential buyers of the unit here to dramatically affect sales of the 600 regardless of the selling price. Suppose Sony authorized its sale for $9999 on a preorder, who here would buy it right now? Suppose you had to pony up this week, would you? There is no prebuy and as Mike posted I also doubt any price lowering will happen any time soon, but I just don't see a lot of the posters here ponying up $10K for any projector now. Many of the bigger boy posters here already have the better 1000Es and other higher end machines such as Lumises. Let's see how many post honestly I would at $10K.
I wouldn't, I already own a 1000ES.
I know I'm replying to an old post here, but I'm just catching up on this thread after being swamped @ work for a few weeks and thought I'd raise my hand as one of the buyers who'd pull the trigger at $10k but not a penny more. I never really felt that the ruby (VW100) lived up to my expectations and the parallels between the qualia-to-ruby succession and the VW1000-to-WV600 succession already have me a bit gun-shy. Honestly, if my B-stock VW85 were a bit more well-behaved (it likes to reset itself once for every 10-40 hours of lamp use) I'd be waiting for the VW600's successor. Instead, I'll be pestering Mike from time to time in the coming months to see if it's down to/below 10k.
10k is kind of a sweet spot for some of us who really don't have any business spending anywhere NEAR that amount but are willing to make concessions elsewhere to keep our (overly picky) eyes happy. Mark, you might recall that I noticed the lamp flicker and minor mis-convergence within the first 60 seconds of the Ruby demo you gave me years ago... good eyes and picture quality neurosis are a costly combo. Costly with a 10k cap
Sigh.. I'll just be living vicariously through these threads until I can snag mine