or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VPL-VW500ES - 4k Projector - 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VPL-VW500ES - 4k Projector - 2013 - Page 21

post #601 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

I could see a difference ( improvement) being substantial if comparing 4K content to 1080P , but you are saying that even on 1080P content the PQ difference is huge???
I've upgraded several times and I have seen improvements, but usually not any where near the level usually claimed, well, by my standards that is.
Will be interesting to see what Art has to say. The 600ES is a notch below what you have for lens and lumens, this review should,I hope, give me the
better picture. Excuse the pun tongue.gif

if you're skeptical, then wait for multiple opinions on the final product. Certainly Cine4home will be posting his review soon and it doesn't get much more objective than his info.

We're also going to be reviewing the VW600 as soon as it's released and I've had countless HW50's in my HT over the last year.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #602 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

if you're skeptical, then wait for multiple opinions on the final product. Certainly Cine4home will be posting his review soon and it doesn't get much more objective than his info.

We're also going to be reviewing the VW600 as soon as it's released and I've had countless HW50's in my HT over the last year.

Yes multiple reviews are what I want. I have a deposit / preorder payment on a 600ES, well 500ES here in Canada, so my decision has to be made within a couple of weeks or I have to forfeit my deposit.
My HW50ES is no slouch and the brightness will be the same as the 600ES. I know the PQ 4K will be great and yes, I know all the other features, certainly a plus.

The PQ compared to my HW50ES is what I am holding out for. Going to have to be the HUGE improvement the Mark is claiming or else I keep what I have.
post #603 of 1083
Still a bit worried about these specs:

VW1000ES-
type of lamp : 330W UHP
light output : 2000lm

noise : 22dB


VW500ES-

type of lamp : 265W UHP
light output : 1700lm

noise : 26dB


That's quite a sizable step up in noise rating, especially compared to most of the previous Sony projectors (including the VW1000ES above). Especially if that's low lamp.
I hope the VW500ES hasn't had to become much louder due to trying to maintain brightness in much smaller chasis. (One of the reasons I don't put my RS55 in to high bulb mode is because of
how much more audible it becomes).
post #604 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Still a bit worried about these specs:

VW1000ES-
type of lamp : 330W UHP
light output : 2000lm

noise : 22dB


VW500ES-

type of lamp : 265W UHP
light output : 1700lm

noise : 26dB


That's quite a sizable step up in noise rating, especially compared to most of the previous Sony projectors (including the VW1000ES above). Especially if that's low lamp.
I hope the VW500ES hasn't had to become much louder due to trying to maintain brightness in much smaller chasis. (One of the reasons I don't put my RS55 in to high bulb mode is because of
how much more audible it becomes).

Yes, Rich, the 1000EW is incredibly quiet, even in high lamp; certainly quieter than my RS20. Mine is ~ 3 ft behind my head (and ~1 ft above), and in high lamp (since I'm now at 1800 hrs) I never hear it. Another of its very nice features. (And I think I've also mentioned--several times!--its min throw ratio of 1.27 is critical for me being able to get as wide a pic as I want with the pj as far back as I can get it in my room.)
post #605 of 1083
This is my biggest worry with the 500es as well, I have to hw50 and run it in high mode all the time and it has never really bothered me. I know I will probably run the 500es in high as well since I like a bright picture and see the when in high mode the 500es noise is 32db. I guess I will have to turn the sound up a bit louder or hopefully it's not as bad as I might think it will be.
post #606 of 1083
Yikes, where did you get that 32 dB in high bulb mode spec? That's pretty loud.
(I adjust sound by fractions of dBs all day long for my sound effects work, so I know that would be a very big step up in loudness vs my RS55 in low bulb. I was sort of counting on the Sony as being a quieter projector, not louder).
post #607 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yikes, where did you get that 32 dB in high bulb mode spec? That's pretty loud.
(I adjust sound by fractions of dBs all day long for my sound effects work, so I know that would be a very big step up in loudness vs my RS55 in low bulb. I was sort of counting on the Sony as being a quieter projector, not louder).

Look at 4:05 in the video in this post. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438597/sony-vpl-vw500es-sxrd-4k-projector-ifa-berlin-2013/270#post_23728409 26db in low and 32db in high.
Reply
Reply
post #608 of 1083
The video in a data chart at 4.05 says its 32db in high lamp mode and 26db in low. Edited to correct the misread pointed out by Rich Harkness.
Edited by mark haflich - 10/5/13 at 10:03pm
post #609 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The video in a data chart at 4.05 says its only 29db in high lamp mode and a very quiet 22db in low.

Look again. Those are the noise levels for the VW1000. The noise levels for the VW500ES are in red: 26 low and 32 dB high.
post #610 of 1083
Larger case/chassis more room for sound reduction....
post #611 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Look again. Those are the noise levels for the VW1000. The noise levels for the VW500ES are in red: 26 low and 32 dB high.

Thanks rich. I edited my post and gave you credit.
post #612 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Thanks rich. I edited my post and gave you credit.

What, I get no credit. biggrin.gif Look above your post #608.
Reply
Reply
post #613 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

What, I get no credit. biggrin.gif Look above your post #608.

Your Post # 607 Mike, mot 608.
post #614 of 1083
I emailed art at projector reviews on Friday, and he said he'd have some impressions up on the weekend. Nothing yet. I really want to know his thought, as he could give a good analysis compared to the vw1000, which he loved.
post #615 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Your Post # 607 Mike, mot 608.

Yes mine is 607. I was referring to Marks, 608. Mark was correcting my 607 post, but my 607 post was correct. I was just kidding Mark. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #616 of 1083
I wasn't correcting you Mike. I was just trying to post what was on the chart at 4.05 in the video and I read wrong.
post #617 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I wasn't correcting you Mike. I was just trying to post what was on the chart at 4.05 in the video and I read wrong.

Well, I guess the point is certainly made now. The 500/600ES noise level is 26db low lamp 32db high lamp. Not sure how many silent movies we are all watching these days anyway. tongue.giftongue.gif
post #618 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Well, I guess the point is certainly made now. The 500/600ES noise level is 26db low lamp 32db high lamp. Not sure how many silent movies we are all watching these days anyway. tongue.giftongue.gif

Silent, no, but dynamic, yes. Just go see Gravity. I could hear ground loop so I'm sure a noisy fan would bother me.

(Not saying this one is or isn't, I know the 1000ES is very very quiet and the noise floor in my room confirms it).
post #619 of 1083
Think Mission Impossible in the scene where Ethan Hunt is repelling into the sealed chamber. Its dead quiet. A projector whirring at 32 db would be quite noticeable and distracting. Obviously some movies benefit more from a low noise floor than others. I wouldn't want a noisy projector.
post #620 of 1083
Low lamp is where I will be using it. 26db, I can easily live with. smile.gif Also the Sony in high lamp is not going to be any louder than my current projector in high lamp, but will have a lot more lumens.
Reply
Reply
post #621 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Well, I guess the point is certainly made now. The 500/600ES noise level is 26db low lamp 32db high lamp. Not sure how many silent movies we are all watching these days anyway. tongue.giftongue.gif

And what's the point of your post? Please speak up! smile.gif
post #622 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Think Mission Impossible in the scene where Ethan Hunt is repelling into the sealed chamber. Its dead quiet. A projector whirring at 32 db would be quite noticeable and distracting. Obviously some movies benefit more from a low noise floor than others. I wouldn't want a noisy projector.


There are so many solutions to your potential problem. We all watch the same movies over and over, You know the movie. When you get to that scene just switch to low mode. Or grab a pair of ear plugs and use them. You could do things requiring work such as building and venting a hush box or building and using a projection booth. You could also mike the projector noise, invert it (really simple) and inject it your sound system, sort of like noise cancelling headphones substantially reducing engine noise when you are flying with the aid of a plane. Knowing where to inject the inverted fan noise in the sound field (what speakers) is not easy however.
post #623 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

And what's the point of your post? Please speak up! smile.gif

I was just reiterating the comments about who is taking the claim of pointing out the correct specs for the noise level of the aforementioned projector.

As for the silent movie remark. Well, I'm just saying that most of the time the soundtrack of any movie would drown out the fan noise even at 32db. So
for the few times the dialog is whisper quiet coupled with the occasions where one would be running in high lamp mode would constitute a small fraction
of my viewing time. This is certainly not a concern for me, maybe a "purist" would object in which case I would say, there are other options .
post #624 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

There are so many solutions to your potential problem. We all watch the same movies over and over, You know the movie. When you get to that scene just switch to low mode. Or grab a pair of ear plugs and use them. You could do things requiring work such as building and venting a hush box or building and using a projection booth. You could also mike the projector noise, invert it (really simple) and inject it your sound system, sort of like noise cancelling headphones substantially reducing engine noise when you are flying with the aid of a plane. Knowing where to inject the inverted fan noise in the sound field (what speakers) is not easy however.

Mark, I think that acts as a list of reasons why one wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with a loud projector fan.
post #625 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

I was just reiterating the comments about who is taking the claim of pointing out the correct specs for the noise level of the aforementioned projector.

As for the silent movie remark. Well, I'm just saying that most of the time the soundtrack of any movie would drown out the fan noise even at 32db. So
for the few times the dialog is whisper quiet coupled with the occasions where one would be running in high lamp mode would constitute a small fraction
of my viewing time. This is certainly not a concern for me, maybe a "purist" would object in which case I would say, there are other options .

My post was a joke. I understood the points. I just think we need another 30 posts about my misread of the chart and that the 600 is a tad noisy. smile.gif

Maybe. Mike G. Sorry for not giving you credit too.
post #626 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Mark, I think that acts as a list of reasons why one wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with a loud projector fan.


And the best solution is to buy a B stock 1000ES and get it upgraded. Adding the server and tablet to the 600 compared to the upgraded cost of a B stock 1000ES subtracting out the street cost of a 1000ES bulb, the 1000ES package is real close in cost.
post #627 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

And the best solution is to buy a B stock 1000ES and get it upgraded. Adding the server and tablet to the 600 compared to the upgraded cost of a B stock 1000ES subtracting out the street cost of a 1000ES bulb, the 1000ES package is real close in cost.

No B stock available in Canada, which sucks more than the fan on the 600ES biggrin.gif
post #628 of 1083
I am not advertising and don't sell this projector but if anyone in Ontario Canada wants to get this projector I can get you in contact with someone.

If this posting is against forums rules please Delete it. As I only want to help fellow Canadians.
post #629 of 1083
Some more blogging today about his time with the VW500ES by Art of Projectorreviews:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/2013/10/07/sony-vpl-vw600es-4k-projector-a-first-look/
post #630 of 1083
Art commented on the noise level of the 600ES:

"So, how loud is it? In Normal mode where almost everyone will be, it’s pretty quiet. They claim 26 db which we do not attempt to measure. I can say that it’s far quieter than say the Epson 5020UB that I have here. In fact the VW600ES may be quieter in Normal mode than the Epson is in Low lamp mode. The sound of the fan etc., is relatively low pitched. At one point I had paused the projector and forgot about it for about 15 minutes while writing. When I finally looked up I also noticed the fan noise. And I found the fan noise to be only slightly noticeable even with no audio on. Now I’m an old audiophile, yet I know that some folks are less tolerant of background noise than I am. I would have no issue at all with this Sony. Currently I’m sitting with the projector on a table top about 50 inches behind my head. There might be some quieter projectors out there, but only a very few people will care enough for this Sony projector’s noise levels to have to consider an alternative. (But, of course there are no native 4K alternatives…) -art"
Reply
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VPL-VW500ES - 4k Projector - 2013