or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › My Media Server Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Media Server Build - Page 3

post #61 of 79
What specifically do you have for dual cores ?
post #62 of 79
AMD Opteron 280's running running in an older Tyan MB with 8GB memory.
post #63 of 79
Agree'd on the WHS2011 and Flexraid, I did have W7U but i changed because i wanted to back up the HTPC C: Drive as well so i wouldnt of been screwed if it fails. Also worth noting WHS only Supports 1 Physical CPU, I had Daul Xeon 5120's but took one out becuase it was senseless.
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

Agree'd on the WHS2011 and Flexraid, I did have W7U but i changed because i wanted to back up the HTPC C: Drive as well so i wouldnt of been screwed if it fails. Also worth noting WHS only Supports 1 Physical CPU, I had Daul Xeon 5120's but took one out becuase it was senseless.

There is a MS hot fix for that biggrin.gif
post #65 of 79
if you don't tell me where this is, i may have to try and tace your IP. I have searched everywhere!!!!!
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

if you don't tell me where this is, i may have to try and tace your IP. I have searched everywhere!!!!!

Itznfb has posted the hot fix in my server thread I think. (<- I think ?) The solution was to make the second CPU show up as additional CPU cores.

Something like this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1010184
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

So what's so great with WHS2011? 1. Cheap 2. Backup clients. Anything else?

You can automate the distribution of windows updates to all the connected clients, there are a variety of good addins available for it (http://www.wegotserved.com/category/home-servers/add-ins/windows-home-server-2011-add-ins/), I use mine for torrent downloading, video editing and encoding tasks, it is my network time server and it pushes corrected times out to the clients, it serves as my print server, I use it for windows 7 caller ID (http://www.w7callerid.com), I use mine with Norton ghost to capture ghost images of the HTPC's just to make sure I can restore quickly in the event of a failure on the HTPC's. I have my infinitv connected to it, and the four tuners it provides are connected via network bridge to the HTPC's. All of my content is stored on the server and the HTPC's automatically archive TV recordings to it. I can remotely log into it and play back any content I wish to see. I am also currently looking at using it as a playon server.

Shall I go on?
post #68 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

You can automate the distribution of windows updates to all the connected clients, there are a variety of good addins available for it (http://www.wegotserved.com/category/home-servers/add-ins/windows-home-server-2011-add-ins/), I use mine for torrent downloading, video editing and encoding tasks, it is my network time server and it pushes corrected times out to the clients, it serves as my print server, I use it for windows 7 caller ID (http://www.w7callerid.com), I use mine with Norton ghost to capture ghost images of the HTPC's just to make sure I can restore quickly in the event of a failure on the HTPC's. I have my infinitv connected to it, and the four tuners it provides are connected via network bridge to the HTPC's. All of my content is stored on the server and the HTPC's automatically archive TV recordings to it. I can remotely log into it and play back any content I wish to see. I am also currently looking at using it as a playon server.

Shall I go on?

Yes! lol

How can I stream/access my videos (tv recordings/movies) on the go?
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Yes! lol

How can I stream/access my videos (tv recordings/movies) on the go?

Try us (Media Browser). Community:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/

Server download:

http://mediabrowser3.com/

Apps released or in development for:

Android
Html5
iOS
Media Portal
Roku
Windows 7/8 Desktop
Windows Media Center
Windows RT
Windows Phone

Gallery here at the bottom:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser
post #70 of 79
Thread Starter 
Nice! I'm waiting until it's fully released. Haven't built the server yet, but parts are being bought.
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Yes! lol

How can I stream/access my videos (tv recordings/movies) on the go?

Remote potato will probably do it for you (http://www.remotepotato.com/). I run that on my server, too. PlayOn may be a good solution for you too (depending on what you're streaming to).
post #72 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Yes! lol

How can I stream/access my videos (tv recordings/movies) on the go?

Plex Media Server.
post #73 of 79
Thread Starter 
Looks like MB3 will have a mobile client for Android to allow streaming from MB Server.
post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750 View Post

Looks like MB3 will ALREADY DOES have a mobile client for Android to allow streaming from MB Server.

I fixed it. ^
post #75 of 79
Thread Starter 
HAHA already new MB3 had an Android client but isn't it still in BETA?
post #76 of 79
yes. only beta for now.
post #77 of 79
So is this going to be like Make MKV, forever in Beta? tongue.gif
post #78 of 79
I am hoping not... haha.
post #79 of 79

Mfusick, you speak of an HBA card (Host Bus Adapter) and SAS cables (I had to look-up both of those).  

I am deducing that you probably have two (or more?) physical cases/towers/chassis which comprise your 'Media Storage Server'.  

At least one case called the 'host' and another called the 'server'.  Or am I way off base?

 

Anyway, I would appreciate your recommendations on my planned approach.  

Because I envision my Media Server to be situated adjacent to my big screen TV, I want 'quiet'.  

I am planning on a full tower case combined with large diameter fans turning at low RPM and closed loop liquid cooling.  

I plan on eight to twelve 4 TB HDDs (1 TB per platter) configured in RAID 6.  I am open to using either hardware or software RAID.  

I have both Win 7 Pro and Win Server 2008 sitting on a shelf; I could use either one as the OS.  And, that is as far as my planning has gone. 

Would FlexRAID fit into this scenario ? 

 

My hoped-for (not too distant future I hope) end result is every family member's movies, music, pictures, etc  on the Media Storage Server,

with on-demand content delivery to any PC and any TV within our house.  

When I say pictures I am talking about thousands of photos, some dating back to the late 1800's. 

 

On another subject, I do not understand why the 2 TB backup limit of WHS2011 is not viewed as a significant detriment.   

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › My Media Server Build