or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony Announces XBR-55X850A and XBR-65X850A
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony Announces XBR-55X850A and XBR-65X850A - Page 3

post #61 of 132
I thought the reasoning behind the active 3D glasses was for the simultaneous screening or dual screen play. Something about a A/B switch on the glasses. Popular for like 2 player game play or if you wanted to watch (2) sources at the same time. Instead of splitting the screen -- you can view something completely different on the screen at the same time.
post #62 of 132
I think they call it SimulView technology.
post #63 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterscapes View Post

I thought the reasoning behind the active 3D glasses was for the simultaneous screening or dual screen play. Something about a A/B switch on the glasses. Popular for like 2 player game play or if you wanted to watch (2) sources at the same time. Instead of splitting the screen -- you can view something completely different on the screen at the same time.

That's not true. If u look on the Sony site, the only simul view glasses are passive ones.
post #64 of 132
The X850 has the same stimulview technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

That's not true. If u look on the Sony site, the only simul view glasses are passive ones.

Edited by mcarozza - 10/1/13 at 6:24pm
post #65 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post

[quote name="starchild" url="/t/1489127/sony-announces-xbr-55x850a-and-xbr-65x850a/30#post_23783910"]Latinoheat.Thanks for your contribution! You are bringing up the important talking points about this set and others. Thanks for all the in depth info. Especially points about the audio out. I am also considering use of a soundbar. The limitation of the optical out is disappointing! Id like to know if any of these sets lg, Sony, panny can output Dolby via optic? Are there HDMI out options to use a sounbar with HDMI in. I would also prefer passive 3d, which is causing me difficulty in making a choice on a 4k TV. Its not a deal breaker I guess since I don't know how much 3d viewing I will do. But most important is the audio out, as I'm not planning on doing a avr.[/quote]I may of found a solution to get in sync and 5.1 optical out from this TV. It will be here today and I'll report back my findings. [URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIQER0E/]This box takes 5.1 optical audio out of hdmi. I just hope it does it instantly with no delay. [/URL]

This has one in one out. Do you pass all HDMI to the TV then there is a HDMI out on the TV?
post #66 of 132

I would really like some input on what TV to buy.  I saw the X900a and was very impressed so I bought it at Best buy.  Then 1 week later I cancelled my order  because I heard the X850a was coming out which was basically the same TV without the speakers.  I bought 5.1 surround sound so the speakers would be worthless to me.  Some people are saying the 850a uses a mate finish?  I am not a fan of the mate finish and I am curious is it actually a mate finish or just less reflective?  I have my 850a on the way but if the picture is not as nice i will go back to the 900a.  Please leave your impressions if you have seen both  it would help very much.

 

Thanks.

post #67 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM-Gamer View Post
 

I would really like some input on what TV to buy.  I saw the X900a and was very impressed so I bought it at Best buy.  Then 1 week later I cancelled my order  because I heard the X850a was coming out which was basically the same TV without the speakers.  I bought 5.1 surround sound so the speakers would be worthless to me.  Some people are saying the 850a uses a mate finish?  I am not a fan of the mate finish and I am curious is it actually a mate finish or just less reflective?  I have my 850a on the way but if the picture is not as nice i will go back to the 900a.  Please leave your impressions if you have seen both  it would help very much.

 

Thanks.

 

Read my post 2060

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/2060

 

I compare the 850 with the 900 as well as the new LG full array back light Led.

 

THE CHOICE YOU HAVE IS A REAL EASY ONE !!

post #68 of 132

The 850 is NOT the same tv.

 

First of all it does not have the same triluminous panel the x9 has, so the colors do not POP out as much.

The fact that the 850 has a matte screen makes the image lose it's magic. It's somewhat dull compared to the x9.

The passive 3d on the x9 as well as the 2d to 3d conversion is AMAZING...the 850 is active 3d...much less impressive.

 

Quite frankly, the x9 is a masterpiece, and no other tv comes remotely close to it.

Even the LG Full array Led dimming, which is supposed to better...is not. 

post #69 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM-Gamer View Post

I would really like some input on what TV to buy.  I saw the X900a and was very impressed so I bought it at Best buy.  Then 1 week later I cancelled my order  because I heard the X850a was coming out which was basically the same TV without the speakers.  I bought 5.1 surround sound so the speakers would be worthless to me.  Some people are saying the 850a uses a mate finish?  I am not a fan of the mate finish and I am curious is it actually a mate finish or just less reflective?  I have my 850a on the way but if the picture is not as nice i will go back to the 900a.  Please leave your impressions if you have seen both  it would help very much.

Thanks.

It's definitely not the same TV without the speakers. I was under the same impression but finally saw both in the store last night.

While the 850 is an excellent TV it does not have the all glass panel like the 900 does. It's a plastic like a PC LCD. The picture is very clear but after now seeing them in person the colors do pop and seem deeper on the 900. I am partial to the all glass look so I switched back to the 900 for my order. I didn't care about the 3d stuff.
post #70 of 132
Oh... I guess that would work. Switch from odd to even lines to see either picture??
post #71 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

The fact that the 850 has a matte screen makes the image lose it's magic. It's somewhat dull compared to the x9.
The Pros and Cons to a matte screen frown.gif
post #72 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

The 850 is NOT the same tv.

First of all it does not have the same triluminous panel the x9 has, so the colors do not POP out as much.
The fact that the 850 has a matte screen makes the image lose it's magic. It's somewhat dull compared to the x9.
The passive 3d on the x9 as well as the 2d to 3d conversion is AMAZING...the 850 is active 3d...much less impressive.

Quite frankly, the x9 is a masterpiece, and no other tv comes remotely close to it.
Even the LG Full array Led dimming, which is supposed to better...is not. 

Triluminous is the backlighting system, not the panel.
post #73 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post


The Pros and Cons to a matte screen frown.gif

 

Pros : No reflections. The x9 is very reflective (Like the samsungs, Vizio's). It's a tad cheaper.

 

Cons : Is relatively dead compared to the x9. The 850 is duller. Image has less "Pop" "Wow" factor. 

post #74 of 132

The biggest difference between these tv's is :

 

the passive 3d of the x9 which is AMAZING!, and the (nothing to write home about) active 3d of the 850.

post #75 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Pros : No reflections. The x9 is very reflective (Like the samsungs, Vizio's). It's a tad cheaper.

Cons : Is relatively dead compared to the x9. The 850 is duller. Image has less "Pop" "Wow" factor. 

When I first saw quovadis123's comments about the difference the 900 had to the 850 I started to second guess my 850 order before it arrived (had never actually seen one). Then I thought to myself that I shouldn't let one person's opinion on the internet sway me. Boy was he right...

I ended up being at the store a couple days later and they had an 850. It's a great TV but I switched my order to the 900 and it took about 10 minutes of deciding, I also brought my Xbox in and tested it and input lag is fine on the 900, didn't test 850. I have a light controlled area and am used to the color depth given by the HX line of Sony's I've had. The 850 is easily identified as a matte screen just by glancing at the two of them briefly...even in a dark room.
post #76 of 132

Guys 

if any one IS in in doubt about which tv to buy... do the following :

 

Install a free program called 4k downloader on your pc.

 

Download the following clips from you tube in 1080 and put them on a usb stick (DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM IN ORIGINAL 4K).

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_okcNVZqqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4qMBKEN88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xAChk39qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgKXcQ9PLuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GYrbecb88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXBfxHn5FM

 

Now go to any BB or store that carries the tv's you are considering buying, and play some of these clips.

The first clip ink drops, really separates the men from the boys.

The second is lights, great for testing blacks and sound, as well as color.

Third is color and especially sound.

The others are also amazing for testing colors, blacks, whites etc.

Enigmatic chill out sessions looks amazing on the x9.

Keep in mind that 4k native content cannot be played through a USB.

 

Also VERY IMPORTANT, watch these clips in simulated 3d with a medium setting. TV on VIVID


Edited by quovadis123 - 10/3/13 at 8:47am
post #77 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Guys 
if any one IS in in doubt about which tv to buy... do the following :

Install a free program called 4k downloader on your pc.

Download the following clips from you tube in 1080 and put them on a usb stick (DO NOT DOWNLOAD THEM IN ORIGINAL 4K).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_okcNVZqqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4qMBKEN88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xAChk39qs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0ov1bVup8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgKXcQ9PLuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-GYrbecb88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXBfxHn5FM

Now go to any BB or store that carries the tv's you are considering buying, and play some of these clips.
The first clip ink drops, really separates the men from the boys.
The second is lights, great for testing blacks and sound, as well as color.
Third is color and especially sound.
The others are also amazing for testing colors, blacks, whites etc.
Enigmatic chill out sessions looks amazing on the x9.
Keep in mind that 4k native content cannot be played through a USB.

I did all this before you posted for my 65F9000 and downloaded the 4K version to USB 3.0 and they played through my Sony S790 Blu-ray. Have not tried the USB on the TV yet. Will do that today.
post #78 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

I did all this before you posted for my 65F9000 and downloaded the 4K version to USB 3.0 and they played through my Sony S790 Blu-ray. Have not tried the USB on the TV yet. Will do that today.

Yeah I tried a few weeks ago to download the 4k versions and play them on the tv, but it didn't work. Shame... My Mac mini should arrive today as my HTPC. I'm looking forward to playing these clips straight from YouTube on to the screen to see how they look then...
post #79 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Yeah I tried a few weeks ago to download the 4k versions and play them on the tv, but it didn't work. Shame... My Mac mini should arrive today as my HTPC. I'm looking forward to playing these clips straight from YouTube on to the screen to see how they look then...

Looks like the mac mini only outputs to 2560 x 1600. Is there a way to get 4k resolution out of it?
post #80 of 132
I think you would need to use SwitchResX or the Beta of OS X Mavericks to get 4K output.
post #81 of 132
Can anyone get OS X Mavericks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster View Post

I think you would need to use SwitchResX or the Beta of OS X Mavericks to get 4K output.
post #82 of 132
I was in a Magnolia store yesterday and took a look at the 850 and I think it looked pretty damn good. They had it near the 900 and running the same feed. There is a bit more pop on the 900, but I did like that the 850 did not reflect as much. I would not say one blows away the other, they each have advantages. It did look very nice though because it did not have the side speakers.
post #83 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I was in a Magnolia store yesterday and took a look at the 850 and I think it looked pretty damn good. They had it near the 900 and running the same feed. There is a bit more pop on the 900, but I did like that the 850 did not reflect as much. I would not say one blows away the other, they each have advantages. It did look very nice though because it did not have the side speakers.

 

No doubt it's a great tv. Better than the samsungs any day.

I do prefer the LG 65" fald to the 850.

 

The matte screen on the 850 reminds me of a really good computer monitor. Its a solid picture, crisp and clear...but lacks the "Wow" factor of the x9...

but that's just my 2 cents

post #84 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post


When I first saw quovadis123's comments about the difference the 900 had to the 850 I started to second guess my 850 order before it arrived (had never actually seen one). Then I thought to myself that I shouldn't let one person's opinion on the internet sway me. Boy was he right...

I ended up being at the store a couple days later and they had an 850. It's a great TV but I switched my order to the 900 and it took about 10 minutes of deciding, I also brought my Xbox in and tested it and input lag is fine on the 900, didn't test 850. I have a light controlled area and am used to the color depth given by the HX line of Sony's I've had. The 850 is easily identified as a matte screen just by glancing at the two of them briefly...even in a dark room.

I had to laugh when I read this comment because it pretty much explains what I was thinking.  I asked the question to quovadis123 and he answered but I still wanted to see for myself.  I ordered the X900 from BB and canceled it a week later when I found out the X850 was coming out.  After hearing the rumors that it lost more then just the speakers I was able to go up to HH Greg to check out the displays side by side as they were the only ones that had them both.  As much as I wanted to deny it the XBR 900 looks far superior.  Even the rep at HH was like ( I think its because the 850 isn't using HDMI) After he knocked on the panel he goes( No I think because the panel is Plastic on the 850).  And that's the biggest problem the 850a uses what appears to be a glossy plastic panel although I believe it is actually just a cheaper kind of glass. The x850 is still a great looking TV but the 900 looks far superior to me especially in terms of color.  I was a little bummed because I like the thinner design.  I have a Sony HX850 in the living room which I absolutely love and I already owned a pair of the light weight aluminum 3d glasses, so I had no problem with the active 3d but the fact is the picture quality is just better on the 900a so I changed my order back again.

 

PS. Thanks for everyone's input this was my first time on the forum and it was very informative.  Cant wait to get my XBR900 it comes in on October 9th.


Edited by AM-Gamer - 10/4/13 at 3:28am
post #85 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Looks like the mac mini only outputs to 2560 x 1600. Is there a way to get 4k resolution out of it?

Heck no! This CPU is going back. I tried everything to try to get it to work, to no avail. Using switchresx was no help. When I tried to switch the screen to 3840x2160, the screen would go blank. This was using a display port adapter and thunderbolt to HDMI cord. Back to the store to look for another alternative/CPU.
post #86 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by benamaster View Post

I think you would need to use SwitchResX or the Beta of OS X Mavericks to get 4K output.

Switchresx didn't work for me....
post #87 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

No doubt it's a great tv. Better than the samsungs any day.
I do prefer the LG 65" fald to the 850.

The matte screen on the 850 reminds me of a really good computer monitor. Its a solid picture, crisp and clear...but lacks the "Wow" factor of the x9...
but that's just my 2 cents

Better than this Samsung eh?



post #88 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM-Gamer View Post

I had to laugh when I read this comment because it pretty much explains what I was thinking.  I asked the question to quovadis123 and he answered but I still wanted to see for myself.  I ordered the X900 from BB and canceled it a week later when I found out the X850 was coming out.  After hearing the rumors that it lost more then just the speakers I was able to go up to HH Greg to check out the displays side by side as they were the only ones that had them both.  As much as I wanted to deny it the XBR 900 looks far superior.  Even the rep at HH was like ( I think its because the 850 isn't using HDMI) After he knocked on the panel he goes( No I think because the panel is Plastic on the 850).  And that's the biggest problem the 850a uses what appears to be a glossy plastic panel although I believe it is actually just a cheaper kind of glass. The x850 is still a great looking TV but the 900 looks far superior to me especially in terms of color.  I was a little bummed because I like the thinner design.  I have a Sony HX850 in the living room which I absolutely love and I already owned a pair of the light weight aluminum 3d glasses, so I had no problem with the active 3d but the fact is the picture quality is just better on the 900a so I changed my order back again.

PS. Thanks for everyone's input this was my first time on the forum and it was very informative.  Cant wait to get my XBR900 it comes in on October 9th.

Hah, you're like my AVS Forum doppelganger. My 900 comes in on the 9th as well and my living room TV is the HX909.
post #89 of 132
55X850 should be here any minute! comes between 1230-230 according to best buy. will post pictures.
post #90 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Better than this Samsung eh?




Yes. Better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony Announces XBR-55X850A and XBR-65X850A