or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p - Page 12

post #331 of 579
In HD91 thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

At beginning December (7 and 8) I will organize in France a shoot-out with live coverage between the Optoma HD91, LG PF-80G, ACER K750 and the Vivitek H9080FD.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Good news...I have already marked that date in the calendar biggrin.gif
post #332 of 579

Hey, Newbee here.  I've taken the plunge with the LG PF80G and it's coming in today.  I'll report back on my impressions.

post #333 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopes216 View Post

Hey, Newbee here.  I've taken the plunge with the LG PF80G and it's coming in today.  I'll report back on my impressions.

smile.gif Thanks

Please check the focus issue...my fingers are crossed.
post #334 of 579
when will this be available to U.S.?
post #335 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekmccoy View Post

when will this be available to U.S.?

It is assumed that the black friday.
post #336 of 579

There is a new comparison from Cine4home regarding the PF80G and the other portable '1000' Lumens LED-Projectors:

 

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/LG_PF80G_Optoma_ML1000_Acer_K335/Test_LG_PA80G_Optoma_ML1000_Acer_K335.htm

 

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cine4home.de%2Ftests%2Fprojektoren%2FLG_PF80G_Optoma_ML1000_Acer_K335%2FTest_LG_PA80G_Optoma_ML1000_Acer_K335.htm

 

The LG wins in all points. Only in brightness the Acer takes the lead. It offers uncalibrated 60 Lumens more than the LG, but only at the cost of many artifacts and bad, pale colors.


Edited by t-n-o - 11/8/13 at 11:50am
post #337 of 579
It's somewhat strange that it's taking so long to get released in the US compared to the ROW.

I think it all comes down to what it the street price is as to whether it's successful or not.


That said, I've been eyeing bulb projectors quite a bit, but the price of lamps varies by quite a bit. The $100 genuine Epson lamps for the 2030 sounds nice, but by all account the performance and sharpness of that projector is pretty weak. The W1070 sounds nice, but the genuine lamps seem to be in the $250+ range, which basically means 3 bulb replacements is as much as the projector when new. Obviously there's some profit in there for somebody...
post #338 of 579
Very encouraging review! I guess I'll wait it out to Black Friday and hope its available in the US this year.
post #339 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopes216 View Post

Hey, Newbee here.  I've taken the plunge with the LG PF80G and it's coming in today.  I'll report back on my impressions.

Great! We'll be waiting for your review.
post #340 of 579
Guys i handled the focus issue wink.gif

My Focus wheel was only a little bit loose/slack (sry i dont know the english word for [german ("locker")]

I pushed the focus wheel a little bit against the PJ and than set the focus and BOOM everything is brilliant wink.gif
post #341 of 579
When you focus, does the whole image on the screen move a little bit? My LG HS201 is really bad like that, the image moves 5 inches on the screen by just applying pressure on the focus wheel(not turning). Does it go out of focus again when playing with the focusing or is permanently fixed now? If you got more videos or screenshots post em here, I can't wait for the projector to come out in the U.S. thanks
post #342 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPAUL View Post


My Focus wheel was only a little bit loose/slack (sry i dont know the english word for [german ("locker")]

I pushed the focus wheel a little bit against the PJ and than set the focus and BOOM everything is brilliant wink.gif

More good news. The LG guy I spoke with felt pretty confident that it would be released in the states. He said they've had LOTS of interest in it so far. Could be a bright Black Friday after all...cool.gif
post #343 of 579
It's ok DJ Paul your English is fine with us here on AVS.
It's great how all of us even though we are from different countries enjoy our cool toys in electronics and how we can help each other here.
That's encouraging news DJ Paul with the focus issue on the LG PF80G or the LG LG PF85U.
Did you look at the pictures of the projector taken apart from the German Cine4home review of the LGPF80G on page 4 post # 102 ?
I think on the 21th picture down is shows a good picture of the lens and lens housing with the LED housing apart.
I sure would be great if someone could come up with a retro fit and retro fix with this lens in making it into a zoom lens.
Maybe someone with more money could shop around on ebay and perhaps find a lens with the same specs of this lens but with zoom that could possibly fix with this projector.
With your fix of the focus on the PF80G then this projector is placed back into the top contenders of LED 1080P affordable projectors.
Thank you DJ Paul for the good news.
post #344 of 579
I hereby declare my intention to leap friggin' frog the bandwagon and land hellhound for leather onto the Leuchtdiodenzug.
post #345 of 579
Now for the BAD news. B&H just updated the status on their website.
New Item, Available for pre-order
Expected availability: February 27 2014 eek.gif

Far from conclusive but we'll know more after BF. Might have to purchase on Fleabay.
post #346 of 579
Since I already have the LGPA75U I might as well wait for Oculus Rift to offer their 2nd development kit in higher resolution perhaps early next year.
Oculus Rift changed their mind and now they will be offering a newer higher resolution DK2.
So ? it might look like LG won't be releasing this projector until March of next year in the US.
post #347 of 579

Here in Germany some shops still had a date of delivery of 4-6 weeks on their site while some others had already some in stock. Hope for you guys that it will be the same in your country and that you can get your hands on it this month.


Edited by t-n-o - 11/10/13 at 7:51am
post #348 of 579

Well, turns out the delivery of my LG PF80G was delayed a day because UPS lost the package coming into the UK from Germany(!?!).  They finally found it again and I headed up to their depot to collect - before they could make any more screw-ups.

 

I'm very happy with this projector.  I'm only intending to beam a 60" - 80" image and this device is giving me a strong, crisp picture - directly on the wall in a semi-dark room.  I have no focus issues at all - the picture is sharp all over. The colour range is gorgeous - as might be expected from independent RGB light sources (this was perhaps the main deciding factor in me opting for this machine).

 

Some negatives:

 

Anyone hoping an RGB LED light source banishes the rainbow effect will be disappointed. I find it to be pronounced on the LG PF80G - especially on dark pictures containing small areas of highlighting.

 

I was hoping the LG PF80G would be quieter than my ancient InFocus projector.  It is, but not by much.  On full power the fans are too loud to lose as background noise.  However, when eco mode is turned on the fans quieten down a lot and are no longer noticed.

 

The LG PF80G projects beautiful, fluid images. I do notice though that they have the feel of 'video' rather than classic 'film' (perhaps this is common to all projectors in this price range and has been addressed elsewhere on this site?).

 

Blacks, I would say are about 85 - 90% solid (where 0% would equal white).  They appear to be darker on daylight scenes - but I guess this is because the amount of light bouncing off the wall brightens up the 'black' room.  I was a bit disappointed by this and I'm guessing there is no way to improve upon it.

 

Size-wise, it's a bit bigger than I anticipated and heavier too - understandable, I suppose, as the sturdy box is made of metal.

 

I'm gonna play around with the calibration - taking some tips from the German site that reviewed the projector.


Edited by slopes216 - 11/11/13 at 2:30am
post #349 of 579

Would it be possible to replace the fans wih more silent ones? Similar to what people do in their computers with the original fans since they tend to be rather lowgrade compared to what you can buy.

 

Just an idea to consider.

 

Razerian

post #350 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopes216 View Post

The LG PF80G projects beautiful, fluid images. I do notice though that they have the feel of 'video' rather than classic 'film' (perhaps this is common to all projectors in this price range and has been addressed elsewhere on this site?).

Regarding the "video feel" issue. The PF80g has frame interpolation settings. I forget what LG calls it. Maybe "smooth motion" or something like that. Depending on how the frame interpolation settings are adjusted - the projector can sometimes produce a video-like look. This is because the projector software is generating new video frames, in between the existing frames. Some people call it the "soap opera effect", and it can make movies look like videos. I don't know if the frame interpolation is turned on by default on the PF80g, but you might want to check, and play around with those settings.
post #351 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Regarding the "video feel" issue. The PF80g has frame interpolation settings. I forget what LG calls it. Maybe "smooth motion" or something like that. Depending on how the frame interpolation settings are adjusted - the projector can sometimes produce a video-like look. This is because the projector software is generating new video frames, in between the existing frames. Some people call it the "soap opera effect", and it can make movies look like videos. I don't know if the frame interpolation is turned on by default on the PF80g, but you might want to check, and play around with those settings.

TruMotion Option wink.gif
post #352 of 579
Slopes nice review. Great color, focus and solid blacks for $1200 sounds good to me. I'm not putting much stock in the B&H site delivery date since they've been wrong so far.

Couple it with the OPPO Darbee edition and it should be a very nice set up. Excellent external video processing can really transform lower priced projectors.
post #353 of 579
Does anyone know if this projector can accept a 120hz signal at 720p?
post #354 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy View Post

Slopes nice review. Great color, focus and solid blacks for $1200 sounds good to me. I'm not putting much stock in the B&H site delivery date since they've been wrong so far.

Couple it with the OPPO Darbee edition and it should be a very nice set up. Excellent external video processing can really transform lower priced projectors.

PF85U $1200 + OPPO Darbee $600 = higher priced projector
PA75U $500 + OPPO Darbee $600 = medium priced projector

Nice set up no doubt, but in this way the course lower priced or cheap projector becomes a projector mid-priced or high-priced.
post #355 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post


Regarding the "video feel" issue. The PF80g has frame interpolation settings. I forget what LG calls it. Maybe "smooth motion" or something like that. Depending on how the frame interpolation settings are adjusted - the projector can sometimes produce a video-like look. This is because the projector software is generating new video frames, in between the existing frames. Some people call it the "soap opera effect", and it can make movies look like videos. I don't know if the frame interpolation is turned on by default on the PF80g, but you might want to check, and play around with those settings.

 

Thanks indio22.  Maybe the interpolation is worsening the RBE as well?  I'll find a way of turning it off.

 

HTCrazy...

I used a printer's scale on estimating the black level. 100% would be a true, saturated black and 0% would be white.  Now edited my post to indicate this.

post #356 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopes216 View Post

Thanks indio22.  Maybe the interpolation is worsening the RBE as well?  I'll find a way of turning it off.

HTCrazy...
I used a printer's scale on estimating the black level. 100% would be a true, saturated black and 0% would be white.  Now edited my post to indicate this.


Could you take some screenshots with the PF80G in action?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPAUL View Post

Guys i handled the focus issue wink.gif

My Focus wheel was only a little bit loose/slack (sry i dont know the english word for [german ("locker")]

I pushed the focus wheel a little bit against the PJ and than set the focus and BOOM everything is brilliant wink.gif


DJPAUL Fantastic! A screenshot to compare would be nice


pq8n0BU.jpg
post #357 of 579
Does the projector have video upscaling or upconversion facility?
Also can we expect 200/600Hz motion picture flow in future models?

Can some one post a bigger picture of the rear panel showing the I/Os.
post #358 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007india View Post

Quote:
post #322

Lens in LED projectors are already Zoom IN and hence they are marketed as fixed focus projectors. Not only that, if you look at the projector central website, a LED projector is good only between 50-70% of its throw distance and screen size. Means, they are over clocked in the factory itself. So even if you find a variable zoom lens, the picture will be glaring or lesser in contrast. Remind optics behaviour changes with zoom activity.

Fixed lens cameras like HS50EXR fujifilm is cheaper than entry level DSLR because of the complexities involved in the design.
post #359 of 579
Hi slopes216,

You can try a higher refresh rate such as 120Hz to lessen the RBE effect. It works on my LG PA70G so maybe it will work on the LG PF80G.
Interpolation of frames won't do anything to worsen the RBE. The only thing that will help with RBE is anything that effects how often/fast the LEDs switch between Red/Green/Blue.
post #360 of 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by espetodesardina View Post

PF85U $1200 + OPPO Darbee $600 = higher priced projector
PA75U $500 + OPPO Darbee $600 = medium priced projector

Nice set up no doubt, but in this way the course lower priced or cheap projector becomes a projector mid-priced or high-priced.

Depends on your definition. Around here a medium priced projector is considered to be $3K - $5K. I'm guessing the PF85U plus OPPO 103D will get 90% of the way to the $3K projectors with their native processing. Subtract the $300 - $600 in bulb savings and you're down to $1200-$1500.

Add the fact that the OPPO will also make a big improvement in the audio and be usable on ANY display - and you'll have a very improved looking and sounding HT setup for (well) under $2K.
Edited by HTCrazy - 11/11/13 at 10:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › LG PF80G First world mini-projector full led 1080p