or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Large Ported Dayton HO18's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Large Ported Dayton HO18's - Page 21

post #601 of 999
"I'm thinking of having my front baffles flush fit with the woofer recessed."

by the way...that's the spirit...make it your own. are you think'n a double front or an extra deep triple?
post #602 of 999
Ok , now that i have had my marty sub broken in for a few days I can give my review. Lets start with WOW ! First since It is huge , I'm glad I put the aromatic cedar panels on it. It looks classy in my living room and my wife although not thrilled to have another sub does like the look of it.

I used rew software to eq and its very flat now. My reference song for smooth even bass is Bruno Mars - just the way you are. At the two. Minute mark there is a 30 second passage with a constant 80 hz bass beat with an underlying 30 hz two seconds , then 50 hz for two and then 70 hz. Goes through the major bass octaves and I used my spl meter to measure the loudness of that passage and all notes were within 2db of each other. Sounded awesome .

Watched Pacific rim blueray and movie is not the greatest but the bass is incredible . Chest thumping , pant ruffling , couch vibrating . Measured a couple of scenes and hit 115 db .

Marty really puts my hsu vtf 15 to shame. It crushes it and is so effortless . What my.hsu does well now is make the marty invisible in terms of locating the bass. Never had two subs and won't go back to one. If I had a dedicated home theater room I would build a second marty and sell the hsu.

It really is a feeling of satisfaction to build something for 700 bucks that thrashes a well respected sub that cost 1k. Had a friend over and played some songs and he said it sounded like he was in a small club venue listening to live music.

Now I am going to build new fronts and rears. Have to do it over adequate months due to funds. Thanks again to Ltd and everyone else who helped. smile.gif
post #603 of 999
Quote:
by the way...that's the spirit...make it your own. are you think'n a double front or an extra deep triple?

Or maybe a direct impact extra thick baffle mounting ring . biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Only a few will get this little joke redface.gifwink.gif
post #604 of 999
nice review chaluga!

"Marty really puts my hsu vtf 15 to shame. It crushes it..."

:-)
post #605 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Ok , now that i have had my marty sub broken in for a few days I can give my review. Lets start with WOW ! First since It is huge , I'm glad I put the aromatic cedar panels on it. It looks classy in my living room and my wife although not thrilled to have another sub does like the look of it.

I used rew software to eq and its very flat now. My reference song for smooth even bass is Bruno Mars - just the way you are. At the two. Minute mark there is a 30 second passage with a constant 80 hz bass beat with an underlying 30 hz two seconds , then 50 hz for two and then 70 hz. Goes through the major bass octaves and I used my spl meter to measure the loudness of that passage and all notes were within 2db of each other. Sounded awesome .

Watched Pacific rim blueray and movie is not the greatest but the bass is incredible . Chest thumping , pant ruffling , couch vibrating . Measured a couple of scenes and hit 115 db .

Marty really puts my hsu vtf 15 to shame. It crushes it and is so effortless . What my.hsu does well now is make the marty invisible in terms of locating the bass. Never had two subs and won't go back to one. If I had a dedicated home theater room I would build a second marty and sell the hsu.

It really is a feeling of satisfaction to build something for 700 bucks that thrashes a well respected sub that cost 1k. Had a friend over and played some songs and he said it sounded like he was in a small club venue listening to live music.

Now I am going to build new fronts and rears. Have to do it over adequate months due to funds. Thanks again to Ltd and everyone else who helped. smile.gif

That's really great stuff Chaluga!!! Glad to hear the marty performs so well considering the price---you should be proud of your work. I wonder how it would perform against some of the other heavyweights around wink.gif
post #606 of 999
I'm sure it would hold its own against single woofer builds. Tough to compete with 2-10 woofer builds. All I know is its plenty for me. Now I focus on the rest of my speakers .
post #607 of 999
post #608 of 999
^^^ Looks great! well thought out.
post #609 of 999
Awesome Ltd. That is one hard post to beat biggrin.gif
post #610 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

revised and updated
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

^^^ Looks great! well thought out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Awesome Ltd. That is one hard post to beat biggrin.gif

An outstanding and generous effort, LTD's to be commended for sure, ... good lookin' out cool.gif
post #611 of 999
LTD, what kind of response could be expected from the dual opposed sealed Marty sub in post 18?
post #612 of 999
performancewise, a dual opposed is essentially just two sealed subs back to back. there is a model of a single sealed sub in post #18. the dual opposed, properly powered, would give that same curve, but +6db higher. of course, equalization can be used to tailor the shape of the curve and room gain will kick in for most rooms around 25-30hz.

you could rearrange things a bit and build dual front firing too. it is up to you. :-)
post #613 of 999
i dont see any reason for dual oppose marty when the marty ported perform so well. i'm having a hard time finding new movies in the single digit output, so far and few watchable content. oz was horrendous, ohf was so so. oblivions a better than average. wwz was so so. it's been awhile i've seen a movie that have good story, acting, and subsonic sound production. There are some but maybe 1 or 2 out of how many a year?
post #614 of 999
Will this work with a ixl
18.2.2??
post #615 of 999
sure would. quite nice too! (or did you mean the dual opposed?)

this is the ixl 18.2.2 in the 17hz tuned standard marty (1100 watts, 2 pi space, no filters):

post #616 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

sure would. quite nice too! (or did you mean the dual opposed?)

this is the ixl 18.2.2 in the 17hz tuned standard marty (1100 watts, 2 pi space, no filters):


It's weird how we never hear more talk about the IXL's around here. At $310 shipped, they are pretty dang close to being the price of the SI drivers, or the Dayton 18's (probably cheaper here in Canada)
I recommended a friend to buy a pair of IXL 15's for his trunk. I'm almost done helping him with the box.... but let me tell you, these things are VERY well built.

Also received my pair of FTW-21's from the pre-order, cabinets are done, will post a thread soon..

Between the IXL, UXL, and FTW's, Innovative Sound has a very impressive line-up of subwoofers.

BTW.... The 18.2.2 has now been "revamped", and is called the IXL MK2 now.

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ixl_18.html
post #617 of 999
The Marty Stub-Sub?

Maybe should be a new post. I am at least a month out from building, but have been reading a bunch about ported subs and the questions are starting to pile up...

So. I am looking at TWO 8.3 to 9.3 cu. ft. ported SI 18 D4 subs. Dimensions are around 42" wide x 22 to 24" deep x 24 to 25.5" height outer dimensions.

The two boxes will be laying on their sides at 42" wide under the projector screen. The subs will only be about 8 feet from the listening position, so I can't place them behind the screen and will not have any room in the front to move around. The bat cave is a about 9'6" wide with a center channel under the screen that sits about 27" above ground.... Where are "better" positions for the speakers in the boxes if they can't be moved around. The room is a funky L shape with the bat cave on the intersection of the L.

My cheap BIC PL-89 tower mains (that we love so far) will need to sit on top of these subs until I can build my own DIYers. The outside tweeters will now be well about ear level... The center channel is a foot under ear level now and we like it.

I plan on a iNuke 3000dsp for power, though I will start off with an OLD Peavy M2600. 130W per channel at 4 ohm! to start. Will take another month before I can afford the iNuke after the subs are build.

I am looking for help on slotted port width and dimension and subwoofer settings!. How to model the D4 would also be appreciated. Are the parameters for the D4 different than the D2?

Any concern with the slot port being front facing along with the speaker facing the side of the box rather than the end? I am thinking the ports should be on the far outside of the boxes with the speakers towards the middle of the room.

How low can these go with this size box?

Thanks!
post #618 of 999
the dimensions of the slot port depend on the size of the enclosure, the tuning frequency that you want, the air speed in the port, and to some extent the port resonance.

the d2 should model more or less the same as the d4.

the port can face whichever way that you like.

as for how low, that depends more on the tuning frequency of the enclosure than the driver. i'd suggest starting off around 16-17hz or so, but some would suggest lower. it's up to you.
post #619 of 999
Hey LTD02, just out of curiosity sake....what does the marty sub have over an F-20 other than the obvious few hz of extension and smaller enclosure? Seems like the marty sub has very similar performance but costs twice as much to build.
post #620 of 999
"Hey LTD02, just out of curiosity sake....what does the marty sub have over an F-20 other than the obvious few hz of extension and smaller enclosure? Seems like the marty sub has very similar performance but costs twice as much to build."

they are just a little different. the "obvious few hz" might not be so obvious. here's why.

the marty targets 17hz or so. with power and excursion limits coming in at about 117db from that point up.

the f20 is a front loaded horn, so its excursion minimum is actually up around 25hz or so. as a result, even though the response corner is around 19hz, the driver will be up against its excursion limit much sooner. at 17hz, it is about done at 106db and doesn't get up to 117db until about 22hz. from there on up though the slightly larger size and horn loading gives the f20 an advantage of 6db or so on up through the rest of the bass.

the response of the f20 has a little more ripple in it than the marty, but nothing too bad. the f20 is a little more sensitive in its passband, so doesn't require as much power.

the other thing is that the marty has a more traditional form factor and that is appealing to folks who may feel like they are going out on a limb as it is with a first diy attempt.

so they are just a little different. of course, a bigass low tuned front loaded horn with the si driver would outperform them both. that was the thinking behind the submaximus, but that one never get completely completely fleshed out. i'd be happy to work on it with you if something like that is what you are looking for. now we would be talking about 123db at about 17hz, but also about a 4' x 5' x 2' enclosure.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1485120/submaximus-a-large-front-loaded-horn-for-stereo-integrity-ht-18
post #621 of 999
40 cubes wow. I already have 20 and although I'm being pressured to downsize....I'm thinking of it as a chance to build 2 new subs smile.gif The funny thing of it is....I think she'll buy into it. Anyway, the martysub seem's do-able and cuts the size of my F-20 in half but I'm kind of leaning towards multiples. I just don't crank stuff as much as I used to....
post #622 of 999
my spidey sense tells me that you might look into infinite baffle. maybe.
post #623 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

my spidey sense tells me that you might look into infinite baffle. maybe.

If I owned the house I would. I don't so bring on dual-sealed cube's.
post #624 of 999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"Hey LTD02, just out of curiosity sake....what does the marty sub have over an F-20 other than the obvious few hz of extension and smaller enclosure? Seems like the marty sub has very similar performance but costs twice as much to build."

they are just a little different. the "obvious few hz" might not be so obvious. here's why.

the marty targets 17hz or so. with power and excursion limits coming in at about 117db from that point up.

the f20 is a front loaded horn, so its excursion minimum is actually up around 25hz or so. as a result, even though the response corner is around 19hz, the driver will be up against its excursion limit much sooner. at 17hz, it is about done at 106db and doesn't get up to 117db until about 22hz. from there on up though the slightly larger size and horn loading gives the f20 an advantage of 6db or so on up through the rest of the bass.

the response of the f20 has a little more ripple in it than the marty, but nothing too bad. the f20 is a little more sensitive in its passband, so doesn't require as much power.

the other thing is that the marty has a more traditional form factor and that is appealing to folks who may feel like they are going out on a limb as it is with a first diy attempt.

so they are just a little different. of course, a bigass low tuned front loaded horn with the si driver would outperform them both. that was the thinking behind the submaximus, but that one never get completely completely fleshed out. i'd be happy to work on it with you if something like that is what you are looking for. now we would be talking about 123db at about 17hz, but also about a 4' x 5' x 2' enclosure.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1485120/submaximus-a-large-front-loaded-horn-for-stereo-integrity-ht-18

LTD02- do you think the HO18 will work in a large horn loaded enclosure? If you can design a horn loaded enclosure that will outperform both the Marty Sub and the F-20, I would build one just for experimentation! I am all for beating the F-20 & Marty Sub with no size limitation!
post #625 of 999
Marty, I received the following from lilmike on selecting drivers for front loaded or tapped horns. At the very least, it's a pretty decent guideline to start from before getting deep into HornResp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike 
With typical units, the ratio BL^2/Re/Sd should be more than 0.12, but less than 0.24 for a driver to work well in a tapped horn. Lower than 0.12 and they tend to work in a front horn.

The Dayton 18" HO comes out as 0.1048, so it would probably work in a front loaded horn.
Edited by rsvr79 - 10/31/13 at 6:11am
post #626 of 999
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post

Marty, I received the following from lilmike on selecting drivers for front loaded or tapped horns. At the very least, it's a pretty decent guideline to start from before getting deep into HornResp.
The Dayton 18" HO comes out as 0.1048, so it would probably work in a front loaded horn.

I had remembered lilmike saying that in order to work well in a horn loaded enclosure, the driver needs to have a strong motor strength, which I believe the HO18 is slightly on the weak side, which may not work well in a taped horn enclosure, but I am definitely interested in using it in a front loaded horn enclosure.

I can't model it myself as I only have access to my iPhone5 and no computer at the moment, not sure if hornsrep will work on an iPhone 5? I have never used any modeling software, but it is probably high time that I start modeling and learning how to do that!
post #627 of 999
Hornresp is pretty cool. Hornresp combined with sketchup is a lot of fun.
post #628 of 999
Is there any way to make the Marty sub so that you could stand it vertically with the woofer and port firing towards the floor? I don't have that much floor space to put this thing.

How would the Martysub with the SI 18 or Dayton HO compare to say the Chase VS18.1? The CEA measurements on the CHT VS18.1 were pretty impressive on databass IMO
post #629 of 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

Is there any way to make the Marty sub so that you could stand it vertically with the woofer and port firing towards the floor? I don't have that much floor space to put this thing.

How would the Martysub with the SI 18 or Dayton HO compare to say the Chase VS18.1? The CEA measurements on the CHT VS18.1 were pretty impressive on databass IMO

Marty in the 16-30 hz will crush chase. About 8 db more. Don't know about vertical .
post #630 of 999
LTD02, John it is sounding like a vertical Marty being requested above.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Large Ported Dayton HO18's