or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Fall 2013 Viewing - What caught your interest?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fall 2013 Viewing - What caught your interest? - Page 2

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

So far, I'm enjoying it. I think it is the only new show that I'm still watching. Spader is perfect in this role.

I'm still watching too, because of Spader as well, but what happens when he finishes turning on all of his old friends and contacts? Where does the show go when he has no one left to betray? What use is he to the FBI then?
post #32 of 42
the blacklist is the only new show i am still recording. yes, because of spader. haven't yet watched any episodes. waiting to see if it hangs on to its audience and word-of-mouth remains decent.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I'm still watching too, because of Spader as well, but what happens when he finishes turning on all of his old friends and contacts? Where does the show go when he has no one left to betray? What use is he to the FBI then?

Very good question. While that is the basis of the show, they are also working other angles to keep it interesting. Also, from what I understand, there are a lot of names on the "list", close to 100. The problem with that in the real world, is that the community of criminals of that level are connected pretty well. By this point, the word would have gotten out that the last few people to deal with Reddington have ended up dead or arrested.

The other arcs playing out:

Her husband: really a spy or secret agent, or is he being setup? I find it hard to believe that she is a FBI profiler and never had any doubt whatsoever that he wasn't who he says he is.

The scar on her hand: why does it match the symbol on the box with the husband's (alleged) gun and fake IDs? And why hasn't she noticed it yet?

The ballistic report from said gun: why is it classified? Is he an agent for the government? Why is it going through the head of Homeland security as her boss mentioned for a murder?

The apple guy: who is he and who does he work for? Why did he bug the house? Maybe her real father? If so, why did he come out of hiding now?

Reddington: what is his relationship to her and why is he being so secretive about it? Why did he just disappear 20 years ago leaving his wife and kid and start selling government secrets?


They will eventually lose some steam, but I'm going to enjoy the ride in the meantime. Also, the full season was picked up for a total of 22 episodes, so that's good news.

When it debuted, I was very pleased that it lived up to the previews. After that, I was afraid that it would fall off, but I have to say that we are now 3 episodes in, they are keeping it going quite well. Only time will tell.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post

Also, from what I understand, there are a lot of names on the "list", close to 100.
That sounds like the hook they used for "The 99 Lives of Black Jack Savage". Pick a high number, then figure out what to do if the series lasts longer than the hook.

Unfortunately, Jack only got to life number 20 or so before he was sunk...
post #35 of 42
Although not very original, I liked the Tomorrow People premiere. Nice little twist at the end.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Although not very original, I liked the Tomorrow People premiere. Nice little twist at the end.
I liked it enough to keep going for the time being.

I really wish they had a wider range of ages among the Tomorrow People rather than all of them being 20-something pretty people. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for everything happening at that age for the characters.

In the original, the premise was that puberty was what triggered the onset of the latent powers in the characters. John was actually the oldest of the crew. Stephen was much younger. It was interesting seeing school age characters fighting bad guys while having to be home in time for their curfew.

Unfortunately, though, this is the CW where they can't have a show that isn't filled to the gills with pouty young adults with every problem under the sun except being ugly. The hair care products alone must be half the show budget.

Having said that, it still was entertaining. I'll keep watching as long as it still is for me.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I liked it enough to keep going for the time being.

I really wish they had a wider range of ages among the Tomorrow People rather than all of them being 20-something pretty people. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for everything happening at that age for the characters.

In the original, the premise was that puberty was what triggered the onset of the latent powers in the characters. John was actually the oldest of the crew. Stephen was much younger. It was interesting seeing school age characters fighting bad guys while having to be home in time for their curfew.

Unfortunately, though, this is the CW where they can't have a show that isn't filled to the gills with pouty young adults with every problem under the sun except being ugly. The hair care products alone must be half the show budget.

Having said that, it still was entertaining. I'll keep watching as long as it still is for me.
biggrin.gif spot on for a CW show, everybody's young and beautiful, oh and the sun seems to always shine and from every direction(even in the middle of a building or places like a jail cell, etc. rolleyes.gif)
I saw this show in my "pilot" folder, I'll have to check it out later tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like a typical CW show, that I do have actually have a few season passes for smile.gif
Oh and what's up with all the "paranormal" shows on the CW, I told my wife it's the CW that seem to be the "paranormal" station biggrin.gif(Paranormal is the description Tribune gives to a show like this)
post #38 of 42
Tomorrow People, well a one and done(actually this was the very rare case where I only watched 1/2 of the pilot and stopped, knowing it just wasn't my kind of show) for me. OTH my teen daughter(who I imagine is CWs target demo) liked it rolleyes.gif
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Oh and what's up with all the "paranormal" shows on the CW, I told my wife it's the CW that seem to be the "paranormal" station biggrin.gif(Paranormal is the description Tribune gives to a show like this)
It all comes down to the vampire fantasy.

Vampires are strong, live forever and come at you in a sensual way. Give them a conscience and they become a protector for the weak. Now, extend that to other ways humans can have powers that others don't have and you start to see the appeal for young women. In either case, there has to be a dangerous quality about the guy. He's the rebellious guy who would make a terrible husband and family man, but, for some reason, that dangerous rebel always gets the ladies.

In fact, the darker the past or the current secrets, the more appealing. Bonus points for having great hair regardless of how many fights he has to get into.

In short, immortals and superheroes played by hot guys are enormously sexy to women as long as they have a love interest (which women can put themselves in place of) or are somehow prevented from having a love interest due to some greater duty in their lives. In the case of the latter, that makes them sympathetic that they can't ever have that special girl, settle down and raise a family of superheroes because they're too busy being one.
Edited by NetworkTV - 10/10/13 at 9:24pm
post #40 of 42
Axed "The Millers" from my DVR schedule tonight, didn't even bother playing my recording of tonight's episode; caught the scenes for its next episode during the prepadding of my recording of "The Crazy Ones" and that just confirmed my decision.

"We Are Men" was also on my list of possible shows to stop watching, but its cancellation has made that decision for me.

So of thirteen new fall sitcoms, one's canceled, three I've dropped, six are still on probation with me, and three I'm sticking with for sure.

For me none of them compare to "The Neighbors" or "The Mindy Project" from last autumn, which, come to think of it, are the only sophomores on the network sitcom schedules right now, aren't they?
post #41 of 42
I'm still liking "The Crazy Ones" and I had actually planned on watching a few more of "We Are Men" but as you said the later has been axed, probably not a big loss. The Millers was a one and done for me.
post #42 of 42
http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/fall-tv-winners-losers-1381437996-slideshow/sleepy-hollow-photo-1381442340359.html
Kind of interesting link talking about mostly the new shows, and a few older ones, I'm in agreement with pretty much all that was said. Titled "fall winners & losers".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Fall 2013 Viewing - What caught your interest?