or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 48

post #1411 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

5030ub masks part 3: Up and ready.

So I finally got around to finishing my masks today. Right now I am attaching them with little velcro strips on the frame however that's the shortest of short term solutions - I don't recommend it. Later on I am taking a trip to find some good magnets since the little ones I have aren't quite strong enough. I think the magnet route is the way to go with something like this - 3 of them across so they snap in place.

Here are some pics. We'll start with the mighty 5030ub powering all this:




Curious, what is that on the plug? a mini power surge protector?
post #1412 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

You'll also notice from these shots one of the drawbacks of masking (and zooming) - menus get cut off. I paused it on the same scene for all these shots, and it's pretty easy to see how much light those masks absorb - you can barely tell the menu is there with them on. Sometimes subtitles (if they are coded to appear below the picture) appear here too - it's just something that you have to live with.

Depending on your Blu-ray player you may be able to adjust the subtitle position up or down to account for a masking system. IIRC my Panasonic 230 has the ability to do that. I've read that the Oppo can do that too, but at 4X the price of the Panasonic, it better. smile.gif
post #1413 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinDoc View Post

oops, sorry, didn't realize that there was a separate 6030 owners' thread.
Well, the 6030 is just a 5030 in goth clothing smile.gif so IMHO it's reasonable for 6030 owners to post here too. Besides, everything that applies to a 5030 applies to a 6030. TBH, it seems like the "5030 thread" should actually be the "5030/6030 thread".

If you have a specific issue with the 6030's anamorphic lens support or a problem with the mount, then I'd post in the 6030 thread. Aside from that there's not much point to a 6030-only thread, IMHO.
post #1414 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Curious, what is that on the plug? a mini power surge protector?

It's just a surge protector, yes.
post #1415 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

I have a Grey screen and with all the lights of,the black bars completely disappears.
I have a light controlled room and have not yet purchased a screen. I was told that a grey screen will produce the best contrast. What screen do you use, and may I ask what it cost?
Thanks.
post #1416 of 3011
I have the Firehawk G3 1.3 Gain from Stewart.When you have lights on as well,it produces an image that is outstanding maintaining very respectable black levels.It won't have the washed out look that was pictured above in the photos.
post #1417 of 3011
That material has been discontinued in favor of Firehawk G4. That screen is much better than G3 reducing the artifacting caused by the G3 fabric but at the cost of lower gain (1.1 instead of 1.26) with the gain of a wider half gain angle if I remember correctly.
post #1418 of 3011
I don't need much gain, 1.1 should work just fine for my room. Only issue is the cost. Is there a cheaper alternative that gets close to the same performance?
post #1419 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

5030ub masks part 3: Up and ready.

So I finally got around to finishing my masks today. Right now I am attaching them with little velcro strips on the frame however that's the shortest of short term solutions - I don't recommend it. Later on I am taking a trip to find some good magnets since the little ones I have aren't quite strong enough. I think the magnet route is the way to go with something like this - 3 of them across so they snap in place.

Here are some pics. We'll start with the mighty 5030ub powering all this:



Excuse my iphone 5 camera - not the best at low light (what camera phone is?). Here's the screen with the lights on and masks in place:



Same image lights off:



Here's the same image masks removed, lights off:



My camera phone may not be showing off the difference as much, but trust me, it's night and day (pun intended).

You'll also notice from these shots one of the drawbacks of masking (and zooming) - menus get cut off. I paused it on the same scene for all these shots, and it's pretty easy to see how much light those masks absorb - you can barely tell the menu is there with them on. Sometimes subtitles (if they are coded to appear below the picture) appear here too - it's just something that you have to live with. The only way to properly "rid" yourself of black bars and not have the occasional issue like this is to spend the money on a scaler/scope/screen and go full on CIH.

Me, I'm happy with this. If I end up doing it a lot I'll either find a way to make my masks flip on/off or buy the Monoprice screen that has them built in. Masks really do make a tremendous difference for 2:35.1 and above material on a 16x9 screen.

Ix:

Several questions:

1) Do you need to put masking on your 16x9 screen for movies filmed in the 1:85 aspect ratio?

2) Are these masks you have made of black velvet? exactly what brand are they and where did you purchase?

3) Are you able to take pictures of those masks when they are not on the screen so that we can see what they look like when they are not attached? Also, can you take pictures attaching them with velcro?

Thank you.
post #1420 of 3011
I got my 5030 up and running last week. Also, got my 110" carada criterion brilliant white put up and the picture is amazing. This is my first projector setup and it blows my 70" LCD TV away. I'm so glad I made the switch, it has made a huge impact in our home theater. The PQ is amazing, I'm use to clouding and flash lighting so I was thrilled with my new projector..
post #1421 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_ View Post

Ix:

Several questions:

1) Do you need to put masking on your 16x9 screen for movies filmed in the 1:85 aspect ratio?

2) Are these masks you have made of black velvet? exactly what brand are they and where did you purchase?

3) Are you able to take pictures of those masks when they are not on the screen so that we can see what they look like when they are not attached? Also, can you take pictures attaching them with velcro?

Thank you.

1. No.

2. Yes. From Hobby Lobby; whatever they sell didn't see a brand name.

3. Look for my post on this a couple pages ago, I posted some standalone pics there.

I don't recommend Velcro - at least in my case I had trouble with it staying attached to the frame. I tried magnets but they show through the back of the screen when the masks are off. Currently using hooks and thinking up better alternatives.
post #1422 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

I don't need much gain, 1.1 should work just fine for my room. Only issue is the cost. Is there a cheaper alternative that gets close to the same performance?
There are several options that will give very good results, although probably not as good as the $1000+ screens. What I bought was this, a 120" screen, 1.3 gain, white, with a fixed 3" frame. I don't have any point of reference because this is my first projector setup, but in my light controlled and partially black painted room, the 5030UB and Elitech screen combo looks fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX9FQWK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to reviews of different screens, with comparisons between them:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_screens_review.htm
post #1423 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigging View Post

I got my 5030 up and running last week. Also, got my 110" carada criterion brilliant white put up and the picture is amazing. This is my first projector setup and it blows my 70" LCD TV away. I'm so glad I made the switch, it has made a huge impact in our home theater. The PQ is amazing, I'm use to clouding and flash lighting so I was thrilled with my new projector..
In your opinion the pic quality is better on the epson than the tv? I am debating between the vizio 80 inch and this pj.
post #1424 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

I don't need much gain, 1.1 should work just fine for my room. Only issue is the cost. Is there a cheaper alternative that gets close to the same performance?

The Carada BW Criterion screen is one of the best screens out there for $1000 (118"). Great customer service. Made in the USA.
post #1425 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

The Carada BW Criterion screen is one of the best screens out there for $1000 (118"). Great customer service. Made in the USA.
Is your screen white or grey?
I am getting conflicting advice on screen color. My room is light controlled, BUT the walls and ceiling have some color (yellow and red). One vendor is telling me because of the reflection of the light from the projector onto the screen and then the colored walls and ceiling, I should go with a grey screen, while another vendor says since the room is dark, go with a white screen. I have also been told that the grey will give the best contrast (or is that an issue with the 5030?).
Finally, the projector will be close to the screen (only 10 feet), and the room is narrow, so viewing angles isn't an issue.
So - any suggestions on which color screen and the ideal gain?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
post #1426 of 3011
If you ordered a 5030 from Projector People on Friday and have not yet received a shipment notification, you may want to call them. They did not have enough inventory to fill my order because I was the 19th to place an order on Friday with only 13 in stock. However, they have a new shipment of 5030's coming in from EPSON on Wed so I should see my PJ by Fri (they turn it out the same day they receive it). My room is not ready yet so I can certainly live with it. This may be the longest week of my life! eek.gif
post #1427 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

Is your screen white or grey?
I am getting conflicting advice on screen color. My room is light controlled, BUT the walls and ceiling have some color (yellow and red). One vendor is telling me because of the reflection of the light from the projector onto the screen and then the colored walls and ceiling, I should go with a grey screen, while another vendor says since the room is dark, go with a white screen. I have also been told that the grey will give the best contrast (or is that an issue with the 5030?).
Finally, the projector will be close to the screen (only 10 feet), and the room is narrow, so viewing angles isn't an issue.
So - any suggestions on which color screen and the ideal gain?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

my screen is the High Contrast Cinema Vision from Dalite which is gray. I have owned a different gray screen also and love it and my room isn't totally light controlled. I can see the reflections from my off-white side walls. I am going to be painting them a darker color soon.

It is a tough choice what to pick these days. You could ask for samples as well to be sent home to look them over yourself. I spent hours reading through the forums and it was 50/50 on white vs gray at the time. I'm sure you will not be sorry either way.
post #1428 of 3011
It looks like even Projectorpeople ran out. They sold out over the weekend, and have another shipment of 35 coming in on Wednesday, but I bet those will quickly get snapped up as well. Should be a good holiday season for Epson.
post #1429 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

. This may be the longest week of my life! eek.gif

I've been waiting a month for my new Sony; I know how you feel!
post #1430 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post



Is your screen white or grey?

I am getting conflicting advice on screen color. My room is light controlled, BUT the walls and ceiling have some color (yellow and red). One vendor is telling me because of the reflection of the light from the projector onto the screen and then the colored walls and ceiling, I should go with a grey screen, while another vendor says since the room is dark, go with a white screen. I have also been told that the grey will give the best contrast (or is that an issue with the 5030?).

Finally, the projector will be close to the screen (only 10 feet), and the room is narrow, so viewing angles isn't an issue.

So - any suggestions on which color screen and the ideal gain?



Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

 




My screen is brilliant white with a 1.4 gain (Carada) which tested much closer to 1.1 gain. My home theater is a dedicated room with dark chocolate walls and ceilings with medium colored carpet. There is zero ambient light and the room is completey enclosed once I shut the door. The lights are controlled by dimmer so I can watch a movie in complete darkness or with some light. Thus, there was no need for me to have a gray screen. I would try some samples to see how each look.
post #1431 of 3011
Call me crazy, but the simple, inexpensive mounts from PCMD have always done just fine for me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GKA8UC4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Tighten the wingnuts, and done. Need it lower? Get a piece of 3/4 square aluminum stock from Lowe's. Then again, I won't spend $1500 on a screen, either.
post #1432 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

It looks like even Projectorpeople ran out. They sold out over the weekend, and have another shipment of 35 coming in on Wednesday, but I bet those will quickly get snapped up as well. Should be a good holiday season for Epson.

They had them in stock earlier this morning, but by the time I made the decision to order it, it showed as Wednesday before they can ship. Oh well...I can wait til Friday to receive it, as I wouldn't have time to play with it until the weekend anyway:p
post #1433 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

They had them in stock earlier this morning, but by the time I made the decision to order it, it showed as Wednesday before they can ship. Oh well...I can wait til Friday to receive it, as I wouldn't have time to play with it until the weekend anyway:p

Yeah, they changed my order status to 'Shipped - Partial', got me all excited, then I opened a support chat, because I know how this goes, and sure enough, they shipped me a WoW disc, and a 10 foot HDMI cable biggrin.gif. Projectorus interruptus! I've got blu-balls. Waiting for Wednesday.
post #1434 of 3011
Hey Guys, just got my TW9200w which is same as 6020 am a little disappointed with black levels, I have painted all walls in my theatre room dark green but left the ceiling white (WAF) have a 1.1 gain drop down screen as the 65 plasma is still behind it, am I expecting to much when they say it has inky blacks, because compared to my plasma it looks grey, this has always been a dream of mine and maybe I was expecting more, any tips to extract better picture would be welcome was running thx mode which looks good except black levels DOH.
post #1435 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

Hey Guys, just got my TW9200w which is same as 6020 am a little disappointed with black levels, I have painted all walls in my theatre room dark green but left the ceiling white (WAF) have a 1.1 gain drop down screen as the 65 plasma is still behind it, am I expecting to much when they say it has inky blacks, because compared to my plasma it looks grey, this has always been a dream of mine and maybe I was expecting more, any tips to extract better picture would be welcome was running thx mode which looks good except black levels DOH.

I think you were expecting too much if you thought an LCD panel based projector would match the black levels of a plasma TV. Did you have your projector calibrated, at least the gray scale? If not, that's the first thing to do. If you've already done that and are still disappointed with blacks, a way to improve the perceived black level is to get a gray projector screen.
post #1436 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

Hey Guys, just got my TW9200w which is same as 6020 am a little disappointed with black levels, I have painted all walls in my theatre room dark green but left the ceiling white (WAF) have a 1.1 gain drop down screen as the 65 plasma is still behind it, am I expecting to much when they say it has inky blacks, because compared to my plasma it looks grey, this has always been a dream of mine and maybe I was expecting more, any tips to extract better picture would be welcome was running thx mode which looks good except black levels DOH.

What size screen? Having a screen too small will increase perceived black levels. You want to calculate your true brightness based on screen area, gain, and projector light output. Definitely want a dark ceiling, at least the first few feet from the screen.
post #1437 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post

Hey Guys, just got my TW9200w which is same as 6020 am a little disappointed with black levels, I have painted all walls in my theatre room dark green but left the ceiling white (WAF) have a 1.1 gain drop down screen as the 65 plasma is still behind it, am I expecting to much when they say it has inky blacks, because compared to my plasma it looks grey, this has always been a dream of mine and maybe I was expecting more, any tips to extract better picture would be welcome was running thx mode which looks good except black levels DOH.

Did you calibrate it? Out of the box it's pretty decent in most respects but it definitely needs adjustment. particularly brightness and contrast which are room and screen dependent.

No PJ is going to match a (smaller) Plasma TV for black levels. The smaller screen alone will boost your perception of detail. And almost nothing beats plasma for blacks anyway.
post #1438 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

What size screen? Having a screen too small will increase perceived black levels. You want to calculate your true brightness based on screen area, gain, and projector light output. Definitely want a dark ceiling, at least the first few feet from the screen.

+1 the white ceiling is a major problem
post #1439 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post


+1 the white ceiling is a major problem

 

I am presently rectifying this myself whilst the 6030, screen and new AVR sit patiently in their original packaging. I'm sure it'll be worth the effort, but what a PITA.

 

Painting a white, drop / suspended ceiling a deep, dark brown...plus back wall with screen too of course.

post #1440 of 3011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethirdnut View Post

I am presently rectifying this myself whilst the 6030, screen and new AVR sit patiently in their original packaging. I'm sure it'll be worth the effort, but what a PITA.

Painting a white, drop / suspended ceiling a deep, dark brown...plus back wall with screen too of course.

I have a drop ceiling as well and 6010 spray painted ceiling dark brown works really well. Black ceiling would be even better but IMO would look ugly when not watching TV, my room is multipurpose house is lodgy and dark brown ceiling blends well with rest of house. I made DIY black velvet border panels for screen which are great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread