or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 60

post #1771 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel407 View Post

Hi there,



Making first Projector purchase in about 5 years. Looking at the Epson 5030UB/5030UBe. The place I'm moving to has a lot of ambient light during the day, but most of my viewing will be in the evenings. Currently the walls are painted white. Previously, I owned a Panasonic AE900U with a DaLite High Power 1.3 Screen. I have a few questions ...



I'm thinking about the UBe over the UB because I tend to move frequently (once per year) and each configuration would be different depending on the room. What are the disadvantages of Wireless HD?



I have the option of a 4 year Squaretrade Extended Warranty, is it worth it?



At this time, I do not know what size display I will be using, it will be dependent upon the room and configuration, but I'm thinking 120" to 135", how big is too big (I'm thinking a viewing distance of 12'-15' with a throw of 14'-17' placed near eye level, eg not ceiling mounted)



Based upon the above information, which screen would be ideal for a mixture of ambient light during the day and no light in the evening?



Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond.



Eric

 



I use a 120" from a seating distance of 15 feet. That is my limit. Others can sit there and go 140". I tend to sit about 3/4 of the way back in a movie theater but it all comes down to personal preference. Go to a store with a screen size you are interested in and measure out 15 feet or whatever distance you will be sitting at and pull up a seat.
post #1772 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel407 View Post

Hi there,

Making first Projector purchase in about 5 years. Looking at the Epson 5030UB/5030UBe. The place I'm moving to has a lot of ambient light during the day, but most of my viewing will be in the evenings. Currently the walls are painted white. Previously, I owned a Panasonic AE900U with a DaLite High Power 1.3 Screen. I have a few questions ...

I'm thinking about the UBe over the UB because I tend to move frequently (once per year) and each configuration would be different depending on the room. What are the disadvantages of Wireless HD?

I have the option of a 4 year Squaretrade Extended Warranty, is it worth it?

At this time, I do not know what size display I will be using, it will be dependent upon the room and configuration, but I'm thinking 120" to 135", how big is too big (I'm thinking a viewing distance of 12'-15' with a throw of 14'-17' placed near eye level, eg not ceiling mounted)

Based upon the above information, which screen would be ideal for a mixture of ambient light during the day and no light in the evening?
Hey Eric,
According to the reviews, the UBe wireless quality is just as good, but it is line of site so keep that in mind. I almost went that route as well, but was afraid of any obstructions getting in the way.

Warranties are only good if you need them. So, no one knows if you will need it. The Epson warranty is excellent.

There is no such thing as too big or too much brightness. At 12' + from the screen a 120 or larger will do fine. I am 13' from a 106" and wish I could go bigger. I would mount the PJ as close to the screen as you can. If you can get it closer than 14' then do it. If you are mounting at eye level, you could also opt for the Da-Lite High Power 2.6 screen that is ideal for eye level and blocks out ambient light. If not, you will definitely want to control the light in the room as best as possible with that throw distance and larger screen sizes. You can choose to run the PJ in high power mode too, if you don't mind the fan noise.
post #1773 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Well, you are sitting 9ft back from a 135" screen smile.gif About all you can do is back off the focus a little.

I tried the de-focusing trick, but have instead opted to sit just a little farther back than I normally have in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho101 View Post

How's the brightness of that screen for movies using Natural Mode? I would prefer a lower gain screen such as yours to get a larger viewing angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

I'm thinking of going between a 120" and 130" screen. The online calculator says that the optimal throw distance is around 16' - 17'. Yours is much shorter than this though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

On the screen size, that is WAY larger than I was planning on - I'm looking at buying a 114" diagonal (1.1 gain) at an 11' viewing distance. I thought THAT was big, so I hope that the SDE will not be a major concern.

It's only my opinion, but sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in the numbers game -- calculators and such -- at the expense of simply trusting what your eyes like. I've noticed in the last few years a growing trend for people to demand much greater light than in years past. I commonly see people stating that 25 foot lamberts or 30 foot lamberts is what they want on their screens, where before 16ftl was considered sufficient.

To my eyes, the Epson is putting out PLENTY of light. 2D Natural with lamp in Eco throws a wonderful image onto a 135" screen. 3D Dynamic has plenty of light, with somewhat imperfect color.

The other thing to keep in mind is projector placement. At 13 feet, I've got my projector as close to a 135" screen as you can get -- a big reason why the light output is still acceptable at that size. If 2D is your main interest, and you have flexibility with projector placement, I think 135" 1.1 gain screen is terrific. I'd expect that even a 150" screen would have acceptable brightness as long as your projector is placed close enough.
post #1774 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke61 View PostHaving extra brightness will let you use the low brightness lamp mode, which has better color accuracy. It also helps a lot for 3D. There might be a technical reason for having a projector further from the screen, but I don't know what it is.

 To allow one to be able to project onto a larger screen?

I guess I wasn't very clear... let's say you want to project onto a 120" diagonal screen. Once you've selected the screen size, the zoom of the 5030 allows you to put the projector anywhere from around 12' to 24' from the screen. When I said there might be a technical reason for having the projector further from the screen, I meant that while still projecting onto the same screen diagonal. In other words, I project onto a 120" screen from roughly 12' away. Why would someone projected onto the same 120" screen, but from the maximum distance of 24' ??? Like I said, there might be a technical reason to do so like less distortion or whatever, but I just don't know what it might be.
post #1775 of 3010
A longer throw can produce more contrast (along with less brightness, of course) and less distortion, depending on the lens. Since the throw distance affects the area of the lens the light shines through, image quality can be affected.
post #1776 of 3010

I don't understand how high I can mount the Epson 5030ub I am planning to purchase.  I want to mount it 20' away on a 120" screen, with 12" of room from the top of the screen to the ceiling….HELP!  I don't know what the fact below

 

means in the manual.  

post #1777 of 3010
Sorry if this is OT and a bit random but I've been racking my brain as to how to store all of my 3-D glasses but yet keep them relatively accessible. The 4 pair of Samsung 5100GBs that I bought are tougher because they stay assembled and the sides don't fold in. Goofing around with a large Command hook the other night and, lo and behold, they securely hold/grab the 5100GBs AND the 2 EPSON pairs I got with my 5030. Now all my glasses are nice and accessible right above my DVDs in my equipment room. I can bang the wall hard with my fist and they don't even budge. biggrin.gif



post #1778 of 3010
Not a bad idea!smile.gif
post #1779 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Royer View Post

I don't understand how high I can mount the Epson 5030ub I am planning to purchase.  I want to mount it 20' away on a 120" screen, with 12" of room from the top of the screen to the ceiling….HELP!  I don't know what the fact below


means in the manual.  
[

I think you will be fine with the top of screen distance. The vertical offset will handle that.
post #1780 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

A longer throw can produce more contrast (along with less brightness, of course) and less distortion, depending on the lens. Since the throw distance affects the area of the lens the light shines through, image quality can be affected.

What would be the sweet spot throw distance for my 6030 on a 118" diagonal screen? For optimal color, contrast, image quality, etc?

Thanks.
post #1781 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

What would be the sweet spot throw distance for my 6030 on a 118" diagonal screen? For optimal color, contrast, image quality, etc?

Thanks.

There is no right answer. But I would shoot for somewhere in the middle of the zoom, like the 40-60% range.
post #1782 of 3010
How much 'better' would this projector look compared to a Benq w1070? How is the 3D for crosstalk? For games, low inputlag? And (important to me) how is the wireless HDMI (lag etc) ?
post #1783 of 3010
Yes, there's no right answer. Mine is set up at close to minimum throw because of the way I have to have the projector positioned (in a chamber in the adjoining room). I'm very happy with its performance at that distance from my 110" screen.
post #1784 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

I am going to be using a Carada Brillant White Criterion Series 118" (1.4 gain but measures closer to 1.1)

Still watching stuff on the wall so I can decide on the right size, but when I do the Carada BW is the screen I was going to get. This post has me curious. Why would they say it is 1.4 if it is 1.1? If this is the case, is there another option for a real 1.4g fixed frame screen that shares roughly the same quality and price? Thanks!

post #1785 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post


I tried the de-focusing trick, but have instead opted to sit just a little farther back than I normally have in the past.


It's only my opinion, but sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in the numbers game -- calculators and such -- at the expense of simply trusting what your eyes like. I've noticed in the last few years a growing trend for people to demand much greater light than in years past. I commonly see people stating that 25 foot lamberts or 30 foot lamberts is what they want on their screens, where before 16ftl was considered sufficient.

To my eyes, the Epson is putting out PLENTY of light. 2D Natural with lamp in Eco throws a wonderful image onto a 135" screen. 3D Dynamic has plenty of light, with somewhat imperfect color.

The other thing to keep in mind is projector placement. At 13 feet, I've got my projector as close to a 135" screen as you can get -- a big reason why the light output is still acceptable at that size. If 2D is your main interest, and you have flexibility with projector placement, I think 135" 1.1 gain screen is terrific. I'd expect that even a 150" screen would have acceptable brightness as long as your projector is placed close enough.

In all this discussion about screen size to seating distance, I notice most people seem to be able to deal with an image that is much bigger than I can. When I was first researching all this in prep for my first projector I thought I would want at least a 120” or bigger. Luckily I got some great advice to watch a few things on a wall before committing to a screen. The first image I threw was Avatar (16:9) at about 135” from about 9-10 feet viewing distance. My wife and I both felt sick and had headaches within 5 minutes. That was on a 5020 which I returned so I could wait for the 5030. The 5030 has better FI and I think that smoothing helps a bit with feeling sick with a huge image.

 

Anyway, finally have had my 5030 set up for a couple nights and watched some different content in different aspect ratios and 2D/3D. Firstly I have to say WOW!..really impressed with this thing even without messing with any settings. Watched the Hobbit in 3D last night and my wife, mom and I were totally blown away. A few things/questions:

 

We seem to have settled on a 16:9 image that is only about an 88” from a seating distance of about 9”. Now I am planning on going with a CIH set up so that would end up being a 112” 2:35 1 screen. Still sounds small compared to what most people seem to gravitate towards in this forum. Guess I get extra light out of the deal though =] Anyway, can’t help but feel I’m missing something here. Is there some setting of something that allows for a more comfortable viewing experience with a very large image?

post #1786 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

I tried the de-focusing trick, but have instead opted to sit just a little farther back than I normally have in the past.

It's only my opinion, but sometimes I think we get too wrapped up in the numbers game -- calculators and such -- at the expense of simply trusting what your eyes like. I've noticed in the last few years a growing trend for people to demand much greater light than in years past. I commonly see people stating that 25 foot lamberts or 30 foot lamberts is what they want on their screens, where before 16ftl was considered sufficient.

To my eyes, the Epson is putting out PLENTY of light. 2D Natural with lamp in Eco throws a wonderful image onto a 135" screen. 3D Dynamic has plenty of light, with somewhat imperfect color.

The other thing to keep in mind is projector placement. At 13 feet, I've got my projector as close to a 135" screen as you can get -- a big reason why the light output is still acceptable at that size. If 2D is your main interest, and you have flexibility with projector placement, I think 135" 1.1 gain screen is terrific. I'd expect that even a 150" screen would have acceptable brightness as long as your projector is placed close enough.

How do things look at about 12' feet for your size screen? I'm trying to decide between this and the Panasonic 8000 with an almost identical screen size so your experience is very relevant. I was worried that smoothscreen would produce a less sharp image, but I hate seeing pixel structure or a digitized effect. How would you compare smoothscreen vs non smoothscreen at 12'. Why did you choose the 5030 over the 8000?

Thanks.
post #1787 of 3010

Any advice on how to sync up audio (noticing lips being off in some instances). Seems to vary with different sources (BR player, Apple TV, Cable Box, etc).

 

My Equipment:

Epson 5030 (duh)

Oppo 103 (just got this, haven’t messed with anything on it yet or updated firmware)

Sony STR-DN840 7.2 Channel 1050-Watt A/V Receiver (just got this to, haven’t calibrated)

Xbox One with Apple TV passing through

 

Thinking there is likely some kind of way to sync audio via the receiver? Wondering if I need to do it separate for each source?

 

Thanks in advance!

post #1788 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRebel View Post

In all this discussion about screen size to seating distance, I notice most people seem to be able to deal with an image that is much bigger than I can. When I was first researching all this in prep for my first projector I thought I would want at least a 120” or bigger. Luckily I got some great advice to watch a few things on a wall before committing to a screen. The first image I threw was Avatar (16:9) at about 135” from about 9-10 feet viewing distance. My wife and I both felt sick and had headaches within 5 minutes. That was on a 5020 which I returned so I could wait for the 5030. The 5030 has better FI and I think that smoothing helps a bit with feeling sick with a huge image.

Anyway, finally have had my 5030 set up for a couple nights and watched some different content in different aspect ratios and 2D/3D. Firstly I have to say WOW!..really impressed with this thing even without messing with any settings. Watched the Hobbit in 3D last night and my wife, mom and I were totally blown away. A few things/questions:

We seem to have settled on a 16:9 image that is only about an 88” from a seating distance of about 9”. Now I am planning on going with a CIH set up so that would end up being a 112” 2:35 1 screen. Still sounds small compared to what most people seem to gravitate towards in this forum. Guess I get extra light out of the deal though =] Anyway, can’t help but feel I’m missing something here. Is there some setting of something that allows for a more comfortable viewing experience with a very large image?

Go with whatever size is most comfortable for you and your family. I think frame interpolation will help somewhat with a larger size, but if you're like me you won't want to use FI all the time, especially for lower-res sources like satellite. I notice some jumps and jitters with Dish and locals like ABC if I have FI engaged. It's basically unwatchable.

My screen size is 110", and when I sat 12 feet away I thought it would be great to have a larger screen. After my remodel, I'm at about 10" and wouldn't want a larger screen at that distance. The width would put the viewing experience outside my comfort zone.

BTW, you might want to rethink using black for text. I run AVS with the dark scheme and your posts are invisible to me unless I highlight the text.
post #1789 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRebel View Post

...We seem to have settled on a 16:9 image that is only about an 88” from a seating distance of about 9”. Now I am planning on going with a CIH set up so that would end up being a 112” 2:35 1 screen. Still sounds small compared to what most people seem to gravitate towards in this forum

It only sounds small because most people sit further away than 9'. Your 88" 16:9 will be 43" high. If you stick with that height the 2.35:1 screen will be 101" wide. At 9' you'll be sitting 1.07 screen widths away, which I think is closer than average. It's all about screen size relative to viewing distance, not absolute screen size.
post #1790 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRebel 
Thinking there is likely some kind of way to sync audio via the receiver? Wondering if I need to do it separate for each source?
Look for something like audio sync or audio delay in the manual.
post #1791 of 3010
In our new house, we have a very small theater room -- only 11 x 13.

I went with a 2.35 screen at about 108" wide by 46" tall. The front edge of our sofa is 85" from the screen and the screen looks huge, bigger than my previous 126" wide screen that we sat a bit farther from. I've velveted the room as well, which also helps the illusion.
post #1792 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

How do things look at about 12' feet for your size screen? How would you compare smoothscreen vs non smoothscreen at 12'. Why did you choose the 5030 over the 8000?

No question that the Epson will show much more screen-door than the Panasonic, it's really more a question of how close you're sitting. At 9 feet, I freely admit that I'm sitting a bit too close to a 135" screen. At 9 feet, I can see slight screen-door-effect -- but it's normally limited to picture area that's whitish in color. With the AE3000 and smooth-screen, there was never any visible screen door at any seating distance.

This is what I did -- once I installed the 5030, I found an image that revealed a lot of screen-door. I kept my eyes fixed on the pixel grid, then started slowly walking backwards until the screen-door was no longer visible to my eyes. As fate would have it, it was right around the 12 feet mark you were asking about. So in my opinion, if you're sitting 12 feet away from a 135" or smaller screen, I don't think you'll have any screen-door issues.

The Panasonic smooth-screen feature does a great job of hiding screen-door-effect, but it also makes the overall image somewhat softer. Again, if you're seated 12 feet away you probably won't see any screen-door -- but if you go with the AE8000 you'll almost certainly be getting a softer image at 12 feet than the 5030.

I was also torn between the 5030 and the 8000. Especially on Black Friday when the price of the Panasonic fell through the floor. If cost was the main issue, I would have gone with the 8000. If I had a 2.35 ratio screen (cinemascope) I probably would have gone with the 8000 for its lens-memory feature. But I don't, my screen is 16x9.

Also, the fact that the 8000 has already been out for over a year, whereas the 5030 streeted only in the past couple of months was one factor. The rumors that Panasonic is bailing out of the home theater market also played a part. More importantly, there also seems to be a consistent quality-control issue with the Panasonic projector that was a concern. I balanced that with a strong consensus among professionals and amateurs alike that the Epson just throws a better picture.
post #1793 of 3010
One potentially big issue with the Panasonic 8000 is convergence. On my Panny 4000, there was no way to adjust it. I think I read that there's still no convergence control on the 8000, but I'm not sure about that. My 4000's convergence was far enough off that you could see color fringing fairly easily. To me, this is worse than SDE on the 5030. I sit about 10' from a 110" screen, and SDE isn't an issue for me.
post #1794 of 3010
so is anybody using a 2.35 screen? We will primarily be using the projector for movies so it seems to make sense buying a 2.35 screen. We use subtitles for all movies since my fiance is hard of hearing but my WD Live Hub let me move the subtitle up so they are not on the black bars when watching something on our existing 60" LG LCD.
post #1795 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

so is anybody using a 2.35 screen? We will primarily be using the projector for movies so it seems to make sense buying a 2.35 screen. We use subtitles for all movies since my fiance is hard of hearing but my WD Live Hub let me move the subtitle up so they are not on the black bars when watching something on our existing 60" LG LCD.

I am sure some are. It is just inconvenient to use with on a PJ without lens memory.
post #1796 of 3010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

so is anybody using a 2.35 screen? We will primarily be using the projector for movies so it seems to make sense buying a 2.35 screen. We use subtitles for all movies since my fiance is hard of hearing but my WD Live Hub let me move the subtitle up so they are not on the black bars when watching something on our existing 60" LG LCD.

 

A 2.35:1 screen is a good idea if your main interest is movies as the majority of movies are shot in 'Scope format. When you watch a 1.85:1 or 16:9 TV you will get the 'black bars' to the left and right of the image and they are easier to mask off in that position if you want to go that way. Some BD players (eg Oppo) also have the ability to move subtitles up and down so they clear the black bar area when viewing. 

post #1797 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post

so is anybody using a 2.35 screen? We will primarily be using the projector for movies so it seems to make sense buying a 2.35 screen...

I'm doing it, and changing the aspect ratio is simple as long as you can easily reach the controls (takes less than 30 seconds with a bit of practice). I would recommend putting enough black felt above and below the screen to contain the black bars, if you want things to look perfect for scope movies.

For some reason I don't find the bars at the left and right of 16:9 material too distracting, and I don't bother to mask them. You can see the edges of the screen during bright scenes (just by reflected light from the room), but in a dark room they basically disappear in dark scenes.
Edited by kriktsemaj99 - 12/20/13 at 9:37am
post #1798 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post


I'm doing it, and changing the aspect ratio is simple as long as you can easily reach the controls (takes less than 30 seconds with a bit of practice). I would recommend putting enough black felt above and below the screen to contain the black bars, if you want things to look perfect for scope movies.

For some reason I don't find the bars at the left and right of 16:9 material too distracting, and I don't bother to mask them. You can see the edges of the screen during bright scenes (just by reflected light from the room), but in a dark room they basically disappear in dark scenes.

This is good info as I'm planning on a similar set up and was wondering how important side masking would be for 16:9 stuff. I am curious about your recomendation to put enough felt above and below the screen to contain the black bars. So you are saying the black bars that overshoot the 2.4 1 screen when watching scope material is distracting on the wall? Kind of a bummer, as I think the screen alone would look nice on its own and is kinf of the whole point of getting a scone screen. Think you could post a pic or two of your set up?

 

Thanks for the infoz

post #1799 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I'm doing it, and changing the aspect ratio is simple as long as you can easily reach the controls (takes less than 30 seconds with a bit of practice). I would recommend putting enough black felt above and below the screen to contain the black bars, if you want things to look perfect for scope movies.

For some reason I don't find the bars at the left and right of 16:9 material too distracting, and I don't bother to mask them. You can see the edges of the screen during bright scenes (just by reflected light from the room), but in a dark room they basically disappear in dark scenes.

When you zoom in or out to change aspect ratios, do you also have to adjust lens shift, or does the image stay centered? And how about focus, do you find that changes as well?
post #1800 of 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Go with whatever size is most comfortable for you and your family. I think frame interpolation will help somewhat with a larger size, but if you're like me you won't want to use FI all the time, especially for lower-res sources like satellite. I notice some jumps and jitters with Dish and locals like ABC if I have FI engaged. It's basically unwatchable.

My screen size is 110", and when I sat 12 feet away I thought it would be great to have a larger screen. After my remodel, I'm at about 10" and wouldn't want a larger screen at that distance. The width would put the viewing experience outside my comfort zone.

BTW, you might want to rethink using black for text. I run AVS with the dark scheme and your posts are invisible to me unless I highlight the text.

Hi, I am so glad you said that re: FI and DISH, I have been noticing the same thing and it was driving me crazy. What's maddening is the same sort of FI feature on my Samsung LCD TV provides a much smoother pricture that the Epson 5030 does when using that feature with DISH...
Edited by crussell1492 - 12/20/13 at 10:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread