or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs? - Page 3

post #61 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I always recommend Sewell deadbolt plugs. I think they're better and easier to use than the Monoprice plugs.
http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Plugs-2-Pair-.asp

These Sewells look exactly the same as Rocketfish bananas I purchased at Bestbuy. But those were $18 for pair (4 bananas in the package), not $5. So thank you for the suggestion, afrogt. I got so fed up with the Monoprice screwing up my order and suggesting the useless pin type connectors, that I wanted to go to a brick and mortar store and buy one at any price. I wanted to finish with these rotten bananas (pun intended with full impunity!) today, at any cost, even if BB charged $1,800 a pair not $18. Joking of course.

But thanks anyway. I should have ordered from Sewell.
Edited by grigorianvlad - 9/26/13 at 8:46am
post #62 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

Well the 2 kinds of banana plugs, speaker wire and RCA cables finally arrived.

Before ordering all this I described to the Monoprice rep my gear and he highly recommended pin screw banana plugs (see above). Much to surprise they fit neither the amp, nor the speakers. They were loose, unsupported, could have shorted or completely fel out if I happened to move the speaker. Utterly useless.
I went to BestBuy and paid for 2 pairs of banas exactly as much as I paid for the entire Monoprice order including shipping. These Monoprice guys are really terrific at saving us money, when they are not sending incompatible banana plugs.
I plugged in everything and it looks fine. I mean this is a budget setup, but a decent one.
You do realize the pin plugs are designed to go sideways into the hole through the binding post, and then screw down the binding post? In other words, they go where bare wire would go. If you tried to put them in the end of the plug, they would certainly fall right out!eek.gif
post #63 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

You do realize the pin plugs are designed to go sideways into the hole through the binding post, and then screw down the binding post? In other words, they go where bare wire would go. If you tried to put them in the end of the plug, they would certainly fall right out!eek.gif

I had no idea! Never crossed my mind that such an ugly connection type is even possible. Who would want it?
post #64 of 132
There are some speakers & receivers who will not take Bananas: spring clips, barrier strips, screws, et Cetera. They are better than nothing, but can be difficult to install on connections designed for Bananas & can loosen, over time, on such connections.

The pins seem ideal for spring clips, & good for those screw type connections without provision for Bananas. (Many Klipsch Center speakers I've seen have screw type, but won't take Bananas).
post #65 of 132
pins are ideal for spring clips in which its hard to insert a stranded wire into. One technique that works well is to tin the end of the stranded wire with solder to make it "solid"; cheaper than pins and works just as well.
post #66 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW View Post

pins are ideal for spring clips in which its hard to insert a stranded wire into. One technique that works well is to tin the end of the stranded wire with solder to make it "solid"; cheaper than pins and works just as well.

Have a pair of speaker wires that came that way, with my 30 year old Yamaha spring clip speakers. NS-50T
post #67 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

There's lots of wisdom in the above statement.

And (vs bare wire) an infinitesimally higher chance of the plugs coming free, touching, and shorting an amplifier channel with banana plugs. Who knows how many times this occurs when people innocently go to move or adjust their speakers...never mind little, curious, hands.

No reason ANY stray wires should be floating around with a modicum of care taken upon their installation. Zero.

I'll take properly stripped (read rarely longer than 3/8's of an inch) and twisted bare wire over ANY other connecter. Go ahead and finger tighten some 14 gauge wired down with a 5 way binding post...I guarantee you you'll pull 90% of speakers around the room before the wire comes free.

Speaker-wire terminals are yet just another avenue for the HOME hobbyist to watch money circle the drain. Looks spectacular though, I suppose. rolleyes.gif

James
post #68 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

You do realize the pin plugs are designed to go sideways into the hole through the binding post, and then screw down the binding post? In other words, they go where bare wire would go. If you tried to put them in the end of the plug, they would certainly fall right out!eek.gif

I inadvertently tried to connect the pins to my center speaker because I did not want to move TV which stands on it. I had no idea this was actually how they were supposed to be connected. I felt like I was hot wiring an iginition in some car! Just didn't seem like a reliable and secure way to connect speakers to me. The pins inserted OK, but still if I pulled the wire they could have shorted. So, I ended up moving the TV after all and using regular bananas. Snapped in and fit like a glove, very secure.

I had no idea back then the pins were designed this way, for side connections, basically to be secured as wires in the posts. Regular bananas or even bare wires looked more secure. I dont think they are OK for my setup. May be there are certain speakers they are designed for and work perfectly there.
Edited by grigorianvlad - 9/26/13 at 12:50pm
post #69 of 132
I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire other than "this will be cooler". Who swaps out their home speakers more than once every 1-x years and therefore requires the convenience of banana plugs or the like?


James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/26/13 at 12:25pm
post #70 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire other than "this will be cooler". Who swaps out their home speakers more than once every 1-x years and therefore requires the convenience of banana plugs or the like?

+1

The absence or reduction of additional interconnections can boost reliability.
post #71 of 132
Those who have to send their AVR to be repaired and those who are upgrading speakers &/or AVRs, but not speaker locations or wires, as often as possible, like me. The absence of additional interconnects can hurt reliability, as well; especially if a stray wire should go someplace it should not; it is cheap insurance. But, to each his own.

Btw, I was a bare wire man myself, until I realized a stray wire MAY, I say again, MAY, have contributed to the blowing of an amp channel on an AVR & the inconvenience of having to send it in for repair. More than likely, it was only coincidence.

If you don't now understand, you don't want to, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire other than "this will be cooler". Who swaps out their home speakers more than once every 1-x years and therefore requires the convenience of banana plugs or the like?

+1

The absence or reduction of additional interconnections can boost reliability.
post #72 of 132
P.S. mastermaybe, if I was in your situation, I, too, would stick with wire...
post #73 of 132
It seems we need to make a distinction between "understanding" and disagreeing with what's understood.

I'm sorry, but your proposed scenario applies to less than a single percent of users...really, prolly less than a fraction of a percent. Yes, even on avs.

I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that more amp shortings are caused by banana plugs coming loose and touching than a bare wire strand touching...and that's saying something seeing bare wire is likely used 1000/1 vs banana plugs. I've read of three such instances in the last couple weeks alone on avs...a quick search will unearth them immediately.

There does not exist a perfect connection, but almost certainly banana plugs are inferior to bare wire in every meaningful regard in at least 99% of home applications.

James
post #74 of 132
James, although your numbers are, in my opinion, arbitrary, I will agree to disagree, agreeably.

I've spent somewhere way less than $50 on Bananas, money well spent, to me.
post #75 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

It seems we need to make a distinction between "understanding" and disagreeing with what's understood.

I'm sorry, but your proposed scenario applies to less than a single percent of users...really, prolly less than a fraction of a percent. Yes, even on avs.

I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that more amp shortings are caused by banana plugs coming loose and touching than a bare wire strand touching...and that's saying something seeing bare wire is likely used 1000/1 vs banana plugs. I've read of three such instances in the last couple weeks alone on avs...a quick search will unearth them immediately.

There does not exist a perfect connection, but almost certainly banana plugs are inferior to bare wire in every meaningful regard in at least 99% of home applications.

James
how is it inferior? If it still transmits the signal without corruption or degradation then what's the difference?
post #76 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire
The main source is those who make and sell plugs.
post #77 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Those who have to send their AVR to be repaired and those who are upgrading speakers &/or AVRs, but not speaker locations or wires, as often as possible, like me. The absence of additional interconnects can hurt reliability, as well; especially if a stray wire should go someplace it should not; it is cheap insurance. But, to each his own.

Btw, I was a bare wire man myself, until I realized a stray wire MAY, I say again, MAY, have contributed to the blowing of an amp channel on an AVR & the inconvenience of having to send it in for repair. More than likely, it was only coincidence.

I'm in the 40+ crowd and wear reading glasses, and I even I can see if there is spare wire hanging out. LOL
post #78 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The main source is those who make and sell plugs.

Touche smile.gif
post #79 of 132
I like them because they make the connections look neat and tidy. No other reason than that.
post #80 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Those who have to send their AVR to be repaired and those who are upgrading speakers &/or AVRs, but not speaker locations or wires, as often as possible, like me. The absence of additional interconnects can hurt reliability, as well; especially if a stray wire should go someplace it should not; it is cheap insurance. But, to each his own.

Btw, I was a bare wire man myself, until I realized a stray wire MAY, I say again, MAY, have contributed to the blowing of an amp channel on an AVR & the inconvenience of having to send it in for repair. More than likely, it was only coincidence.

I'm in the 40+ crowd and wear reading glasses, and I even I can see if there is spare wire hanging out. LOL

I'm in the 50+ crowd and wearing reading glasses, and I even I can't always, it's NOT funny. LoL
post #81 of 132
I'm a tinkerer so I'll stick to banana plugs. Makes swapping out amps and speakers much easier when you've got 15 speakers/subs in constant flux. Adding another four subs and associated amps in the near future. Having to twist bare wires and binding posts are tough on the fingers after a while. It's also time consuming. Purely a convenience thing for me. I don't like the fact that bananas plugs will lose there gripping strength with repeated insertion cycles though.

I personally think it would be great if all devices and speakers switched from binding posts over to Speakon. It offers the best of both worlds. Safe, solid and secure connections. They don't get pulled out accidentally or work themselves loose over time. No stray wires to short, no way to accidentally reverse polarity unless the wire was constructed that way to begin with. Easy to plug in and remove. It's a win-win in my eyes. I use Speakon connectors for all my DIY subs.
post #82 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire other than "this will be cooler". Who swaps out their home speakers more than once every 1-x years and therefore requires the convenience of banana plugs or the like?


James

Someone like me maybe? smile.gif

I buy and sell speakers, receivers, dvd players, etc. off ebay, CL and Audiogon and I'm constantly swapping gear out. I have no intention of replacing my Polk LSi's but it's fun to listen to other speakers in the best place to do so. My own livingroom. Banana plugs make it easier to change gear, especially when someone comes over to audition several speaker sets I may have on hand before (hopefully) buying something.

For most other people they are simply a luxury, cosmetic or feel-good item, nothing more and nothing less. And there's not a d*mn thing wrong with that smile.gif . But bare wire, especially with a little solder on the ends, is all that's really needed. Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Dynaudio Audience 50's. What a couple of jewels. Gonna have a hard time re-listing these biggrin.gif . Might just keep them and sell the Beta 20's I have in another room instead. Keeping the banana plugs though.
post #83 of 132
I like the spring loaded connectors, but they are not optional, the equipment either has them, or not.
post #84 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'll never understand the reasoning for an aversion to bare wire other than "this will be cooler". Who swaps out their home speakers more than once every 1-x years and therefore requires the convenience of banana plugs or the like?


James

I swap speakers around once every month or so.
post #85 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

And (vs bare wire) an infinitesimally higher chance of the plugs coming free, touching, and shorting an amplifier channel with banana plugs. Who knows how many times this occurs when people innocently go to move or adjust their speakers...never mind little, curious, hands.

No reason ANY stray wires should be floating around with a modicum of care taken upon their installation. Zero.

I'll take properly stripped (read rarely longer than 3/8's of an inch) and twisted bare wire over ANY other connecter. Go ahead and finger tighten some 14 gauge wired down with a 5 way binding post...I guarantee you you'll pull 90% of speakers around the room before the wire comes free.

Speaker-wire terminals are yet just another avenue for the HOME hobbyist to watch money circle the drain. Looks spectacular though, I suppose. rolleyes.gif

James

I have never had a banana plug pull out without my assistance. On numerous occasions I have found binding posts that were loose when using bare wire. How do they loosen themselves?

Can't see my plugs so they are not for looks.

What is your problem with someone using them?
post #86 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I'm in the 50+ crowd and wearing reading glasses, and I even I can't always, it's NOT funny. LoL

You better get a new prescription--or use banana plugs smile.gif
post #87 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I'm in the 50+ crowd and wearing reading glasses, and I even I can't always, it's NOT funny. LoL

You better get a new prescription--or use banana plugs smile.gif

Tried the new prescription X 2. Didn't work very well, used to love to read, hope it doesn't happen to you.
post #88 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Tried the new prescription X 2. Didn't work very well, used to love to read, hope it doesn't happen to you.

That's no fun. I prefer a tablet for reading these days so I can enlarge the font size. Have you tried one yet?
post #89 of 132
Not yet. I can see this iPhone pretty good.
post #90 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Not yet. I can see this iPhone pretty good.

iPhone? I have a Galaxy Note 2. I can't imagine having to use that tiny 4" screen. LOL

Tablet will be way better for reading books. Adjust the font size, screen brightness, and font to maximize readability. If you get a chance, try the Nook HD+ and iPad in a store. That'll give you an idea of what they can do smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs?