or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs? - Page 4

post #91 of 132
Better see what is available to read 1st.
post #92 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Better see what is available to read 1st.

You'd have to be pretty picky. Almost everything published these days is available in ebook format. Take a look around Amazon and see. The Amazon Kindle app will run on iPad and Android tablets.
post #93 of 132
I read things published in the 19th Century; but lots of that is FREE on-line.
post #94 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I read things published in the 19th Century; but lots of that is FREE on-line.

PM sent
post #95 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I read things published in the 19th Century; but lots of that is FREE on-line.
Ditto. I downloaded the Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes to my iPad for free. At first I was relieved to learn that all rumours of Sir. Conan Doyle's death were grossly exaggerated. It appeared, much to my astonishment, that he wasn't only very much alive and kicking, but also a big fan of Amazon Kindle publishing platform.
The whole book was enormous. It appeared in Kindle's free promotion section. This section is for aspiring young authors to introduce their early works for free and earn some street cred before readers would be willing to shell out the green for their later books.
"What the hell?" wanst my first thought. I cant write here what my first thought was actually. Against forum rules.
First off, Sir Artha' did not need any street cred. He was (and still is) one of the most famous writers of the Western world. There have been over 50,000 adaptations of Sherlock Holmes all over the world. It has been estimated that Sherlock Holmes is the most prolific screen character in the history of cinema. If Sir Arthur was indeed alive and still collecting his royalties from every book and movie around the globe, why did he peddle his book? This masterpiece already almost overshadowed the Bible in number of distributed copies. For him to offer it for free... I could not understand it. I still don't. May be you can explain it to me?
Here is a screenshot of my Kindle if you think I made it up.



So I concur with cel4145: you can find the 19th century books on Kindle, and not only that, the dead authors may be offering it to you for free to boost their street cred. Go figure.
Edited by grigorianvlad - 9/27/13 at 6:49am
post #96 of 132
Public Domain

No sh1t, Sherlock! What was your first clue?
post #97 of 132
PS Thanks to all for the book info. Sorry for the OT.

Yes, we have no Bananas!
post #98 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

how is it inferior? If it still transmits the signal without corruption or degradation then what's the difference?

It's inferior for the reasons I and others have listed, but I'll put them here, again:

1. Decreased reliability: the bare wire is now terminating at another point, which in turn needs to terminate at the speaker or amplifier. Another potential point of failure...this is an inescapable reality.

2. Almost certainly less surface area (where the electricity actually FLOWS, by the way) coming in contact with said plug than properly teminating at the post. Most times negligible, but again, inviting the opportunity is at best, daft.

3. Absolutely certainly more prone to accidental removal. Again, an inescapable reality. Show me one banana plug that is more resistant to coming free from a post that properly terminated bare wire. You will never find one.

These are the bedrock...I or others can continue if you like. If you find you can refute these basic claims, please do as you know something I can others have no clue to.

The increased (marginally, in my opinion) ease of switching out components is the ONLY salient reason I can bestow on the application of b-plugs. Which is- again- simply a non starter for 99/100 home systems.

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 8:22am
post #99 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I like them because they make the connections look neat and tidy. No other reason than that.

A borderline fair point...but if one is properly stripping the bare wire it can appear just as tidy...if not MORE so as there's obviously a decrease in the overall mass of the connection.

So perhaps we need a 101 in properly stripping speaker wire for some? rolleyes.gif

Hey, it's Friday. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

James
post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I swap speakers around once every month or so.

Every month or so?

So do you think you represent the 1 or 99% I spoke of?


I hope you eventually find loudspeakers you're pleased with enough to keep for more than 30 days as 60 or more pairs in 5 years must take time away from enjoying movies and music. Or perhaps this is the much more intense side of "hobby".

Good luck.

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 5:47am
post #101 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I have never had a banana plug pull out without my assistance. On numerous occasions I have found binding posts that were loose when using bare wire. How do they loosen themselves?

Can't see my plugs so they are not for looks.

What is your problem with someone using them?

What is my "problem with someone using them"?

A bit dramatic, wouldn't you say? Did you care to read the title of this THREAD or read the reasoning I and others have provided throughout?

I can appreciate the desire to stir the pot, but at least come with some ammunition.

thanks

James
post #102 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I have never had a banana plug pull out without my assistance. On numerous occasions I have found binding posts that were loose when using bare wire. How do they loosen themselves?

Can't see my plugs so they are not for looks.

What is your problem with someone using them?

so you have screwed down binging posts onto bare wire and have had them come free or had the post loosen? Wow, I have to say that in my 25+ years of connecting THOUSANDS (yes, thousands) of amplifier and loudspeakers that has never occurred. I'll just consider myself lucky...or perhaps I have vice-like fingers. Banana plugs on the other hand? Yep, they ALWAYS stay in when you move a speaker or amplifier while they're still connected. rolleyes.gif

James
post #103 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

You better get a new prescription--or use banana plugs smile.gif

and then hope all of that wire gets in the BANANA PLUG...or maybe your vision automatically gets a boost when you use b-plugs? lmao.

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 5:59am
post #104 of 132
James, I've agreed to disagree, agreeably, with you.

My vision, or lack thereof, is NOT funny to me.

Kindly cease with the insults.
post #105 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

James, although your numbers are, in my opinion, arbitrary, I will agree to disagree, agreeably.

I've spent somewhere way less than $50 on Bananas, money well spent, to me.

Yep 1000/1 is perhaps arbitrary...but do me a favor:

take a look at your contacts in your phone. Now take a guess or tally up how many of those have stereo systems. Now, ask or consider how many are using banana plugs. I'm at about 150 and the only one I know of is my brother...who blew up a channel on his Denon AVR when he pulled it forward and a plug came free from his wall plate and touched 2 years ago...go figure.

I cannot speak with absolute precision about the other 149 but I'd be willing to bet NONE of them are using b-plugs.

SO while I don't know precisely how accurate that 1000/1 figure is, I'm confident it's in the ballpark.

James
post #106 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

James, I've agreed to disagree, agreeably, with you.

My vision, or lack thereof, is NOT funny to me.

Kindly cease with the insults.

Kindly cease with the false accusations. There was no personal insult and I don't appreciate the insinuatuon that there was...matter of FACT I didn't respond to YOU at all. Read the posts.

Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean you have the right to misrepresent what they have said.

So I'll agree to disagree with you...agreeably.

Have a great day.

James
post #107 of 132
Then kindly retract the joke about my vision & lmao, so that it can't be taken as an insult.
post #108 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

PS Thanks to all for the book info. Sorry for the OT.

Yes, we have no Bananas!

What is OT, SanchoPanza? Over Time? Occupational Therapy? Old Timer? On Topic ? Off Topic?

Express yourself clearly, Watson!
post #109 of 132
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Then kindly retract the joke about my vision & lmao, so that it can't be taken as an insult.

mastermaybe, you can claim all you want that it wasnt an insult, but the only party that can make the distinction is the allegedly insulted person. If SanchoPanza says he feels insulted (I would be too if I were him) that is all that matters.

I can certainly understand if you feel we cant take a joke, old geezers. Too sensitive for our own good. But may be we aren't the ones to blame here. Try this. Try making fun only of yourself while posting. If you find out you are not such a prolific poster anymore, that means you deliberately insult others to boost your own ego. People who unwittingly like to belittle others are usually incapable of self deprecation because there is not much to deprecate.

Looks like I came up with an insult myself here. Well, it was totally worth it.
Edited by grigorianvlad - 9/27/13 at 7:38am
post #110 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Then kindly retract the joke about my vision & lmao, so that it can't be taken as an insult.

Please point me to this imaginary joke.

If you're alluding to the fact that I commented that EITHER way all of the wire needs to go into a post or banana plug, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOUR VISION, but rather obviously, has to do with the idea that somehow banana plugs are more immune to a stray wire over binding posts...when the reality is that both are equally susceptible by the very nature of their application. This claiim has been made a few times already. Read the thread.

Now seriously, surely you do not think this has a thing to do with you personally, do you?

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 8:13am
post #111 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

mastermaybe, you can claim all you want that it wasnt an insult, but the only party that can make the distinction is the allegedly insulted person. If SanchoPanza says he feels insulted (I would be too if I were him) that is all that matters.

I can certainly understand if you feel we cant take a joke, old geezers. Too sensitive for our own good. But may be we aren't the ones to blame here. Try this. Try making fun only of yourself while posting. If you find out you are not such a prolific poster anymore, that means you deliberately insult others to boost your own ego. People who unwittingly like to belittle others are usually incapable of self deprecation because there is not much to deprecate.

Looks like I came up with an insult myself here. Well, it was totally worth it.

100% incorrect. Someone's (or two peoples) misinterpretation and resultant feeling of insult do not lie at the footstep of the author of whom he misinterpreted. There is no ambiguity in the post- and certainly not an insult. But rather, a poignant response to a claim made multiple times in this thread. I am therefore "laughing" at the irony of the aforementioned claims, not any human's quality of hearing. rolleyes.gif

Further, please do not bring more irrelevancy to this. I could not care less how old you or anyone else is...it's completely immaterial and assertion that is is or may be to me is insulting to my social intellect.

Again...the point is that BOTH banana plugs and posts require all of the wire to be terminated (at least to avoid strays)...that's where the "irony" comes in with those making the claim that b-plugs are somehow immune or more suitable in this regard.

Last, I don't need an electronic lecture, thanks though. I have my own father (and father in-law) for that. I'm just about as self-deprecating as it comes...check my recent post history to verify. I'd ask YOU to please read my posts more carefully before making baseless accusations upon me that completely misrepresent me and what I'm conveying.

thanks in advance.

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 9:52am
post #112 of 132
James,

Never mind
post #113 of 132
I've always used bare wire that I've tinned with a bit of solder. It's how I grew up doing electronics. I keeps things tidy (no stray strands ) and easy to use and re-use, the tinned end is rigid making it easy to slide in the side of binding post. Also seems to give a bit more for the nut teeth to bite into.
post #114 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

mastermaybe, you can claim all you want that it wasnt an insult, but the only party that can make the distinction is the allegedly insulted person. If SanchoPanza says he feels insulted (I would be too if I were him) that is all that matters.

+1

If someone feels insulted, it does seem better to apologize, or if one is unwilling to do so, just drop it and move on to other topics. Arguing with that person about why they should not feel insulted just doesn't seem productive or to have any possible positive outcomes.

Not that I have never done that. But in reflection, it did seem like a silly thing to do. LOL
post #115 of 132
Thread Starter 
Thank you for your explanation, James.
post #116 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

If someone feels insulted, it does seem better to apologize, or if one is unwilling to do so, just drop it and move on to other topics. Arguing with that person about why they should not feel insulted just doesn't seem productive or to have any possible positive outcomes.

Not that I have never done that. But in reflection, it did seem like a silly thing to do. LOL

In adult conversation I think it's best to make sure people understand what's being said rather than simply apologizing for something that is not offensive (or shouldn't be taken offensively, anyway) and walking away. Much more is lost than gained in that scenario, IMO.

Matter of fact, it is absurd for ANYONE to apologize for anything if it is unwarranted. All involved are much better off clearing up the misunderstanding than issuing apologies that are completely and utterly based upon poor understanding/dialog. Doesn't mean I can't say I'm sorry, just means I want to ensure I'm doing it when it's appropriate.

For example, if I mishear you say ""Bart" for "Bert" and then hear you go on to call the man a liar (and I have an honest brother named Bart), do you owe me an apology when you inform me that you said "Bert"? Of course not. Matter of fact it is I who owes the apology for not listening carefully enough...or reading carefully enough in other cases. I have made that very mistake here on AVS multiple times when I have jumped the gun on what someone is saying. I am not immune to error.

Enough of this now. I AM sorry that grigorianvlad was personally offended as that was not my intent in the slightest and not in my make-up, period.

Now let's continue to beat this subject into its next death, shall we? biggrin.gif


James
Edited by mastermaybe - 9/27/13 at 9:50am
post #117 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

A borderline fair point...but if one is properly stripping the bare wire it can appear just as tidy...if not MORE so as there's obviously a decrease in the overall mass of the connection.

So perhaps we need a 101 in properly stripping speaker wire for some? rolleyes.gif

Hey, it's Friday. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

James

I've stripped plenty of wire thank you, and I do it just fine. Terminated wire, instead of the wire disappearing into the binding post looks neater to me.

It is in no way an inferior connection. It does absolutely nothing to alter or degrade the signal. That is the only metric that really counts. Maybe to you it is more prone to failure, but if the banana plugs installed correctly, they are no more prone to loosening up than anything else. In fact, most of the binding posts where I've had a bare wire termination come loose more often than bananas and require periodic re tightening. Never had that happen with banana plugs.

Just because you say its inferior, does not automatically make it so. I really don't see your beef. If some folks want to use bananas, and it doesn't make a real difference, then why do you give a crap?
post #118 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

. . . Matter of fact it is I who owes the apology for not listening carefully enough...or reading carefully enough in other cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Enough of this now. I AM sorry that grigorianvlad was personally offended as that was not my intent in the slightest and not in my make-up, period.

Speaking of reading/listening better, grigorianvlad wasn't the person you offended.
post #119 of 132
I and others listed the reasoning behind the assertion. It is unfortunate that you disregard it and instead present a completely false strawman argument that I'm asserting that I'm some kind of wiring God who just says "it is so".

It is another potential point of failure. This an extremely rudimentary premise or engineering/fabrication. Google it. I did not make it up. Further I would also assure you that connection of the wire to the banana plug, THEN to the post does not x-fer the current as efficiently as the bare wire. Again, simply another point for current loss from some wire not touching the "new' connector...and I can guarantee you that not every strand does.

As to bare wiring coming loose in binding posts when properly terminated, I'm sorry, my 25 years of experience simply does not agree with you. My amps have been connected for 3 years with via bare wire and I can lift them into the air if I wanted.

But, go ahead and terminate bare wire in AVR "A", then the identical wire in the identical AVR, "B". Lift by the wire...I GUARANTEE you that the banana plug will release first.

Repeat in 6 months.

Repeat in 12 months.

Repeat in 3 years.

The outcome will be identical.

I don't know how to be more clear so you can see my "beef". The thread asks the question and it's being addressed yet you seem confused or annoyed by the fact that is precisely what is occurring...perhaps because you simply do not agree??? What dialog do YOU think should be contained within a thread entitled: "Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs?"

I mean really- are you serious or just arguing for the sake of arguing?

James
post #120 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Speaking of reading/listening better, grigorianvlad wasn't the person you offended.

Oh, he definitely sounded as offended (or as he put it: would be potentially offended if it were him) as Sancho of which I'm sure you are referring. So then, I feel bad that either would take offense.

Better?

James
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Is there any benefit in using banana speaker plugs?