or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 39th season "Saturday Night Live" 2013-14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

39th season "Saturday Night Live" 2013-14 - Page 2

post #31 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Aidy Bryant still sucks. She just keeps doing an impression of SNL women from the past in the hopes of it making her seem funny. They got rid of the fat unfunny new guy from last season, but they should have sent her packing along with him.
She didn't even have a line in the airport bit, she just had to clap and she still somehow made me mad b/c she did it so unfunnily (not a word).

My favorite part of the whole show was when they asked all farters to board the plane and Bobby Moynihan slows comes into the picture with a big smile on his face. Plus the noise drunk uncle made right before he said, "That's not me". I busted out laughing b/c it was out of nowhere.
post #32 of 112
Not crazy about tonight's guest. Guess I'll see how it goes tonight
post #33 of 112
The last time theartlessformerlyknownasDestinyHopeCyrus hosted, they included Vanessa Bayer's sendup of her, as Bayer played Miley Cyrus opposite Cyrus as Justin Bieber.  What with their having already done that, and Bayer's seeming to have retired the character, and Jason Sudeikis's being unavailable to play Billy Ray Cyrus in the bit, I suppose it won't happen tonight.
post #34 of 112
Checking in. Great opening skit
post #35 of 112
Who played "old miley' in the 1st skit?
post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Who played "old miley' in the 1st skit?

vanessa bayer
post #37 of 112
Is it wrong that I'd bang the hell out of Miley Bachmann?
post #38 of 112
Bayer was very busy in last night's show.

While we're asking, who played Dakota Flanning in the abducted cheerleader sketch?  I couldn't figure that out.
post #39 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Bayer was very busy in last night's show.

While we're asking, who played Dakota Flanning in the abducted cheerleader sketch?  I couldn't figure that out.

that was kate mckinnon.
post #40 of 112
Thanks, KittyCarole.  I'd guessed it was McKinnon but only by process of elimination.  Usually I can pick her out by her voice (even in impersonations, her own timbre comes through) but that one threw me.
post #41 of 112
Perhaps because I only watched the clips on the SNL website, but I thought this week's show was really funny. I guess it's also because they had more material to inspire the writers (Miley Cyrus, the Shutdown). I could do without the BFF show. It's really gotten old (after the first time). The Shutdown video was hilarious. Taran Killam is becoming the standout cast member. He has the no holds barred attitude of Will Ferrel. Most of the cast had more to do this week. The 50 Shades of Gray auditions were great.
post #42 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

Perhaps because I only watched the clips on the SNL website, but I thought this week's show was really funny. I guess it's also because they had more material to inspire the writers (Miley Cyrus, the Shutdown). I could do without the BFF show. It's really gotten old (after the first time). The Shutdown video was hilarious. Taran Killam is becoming the standout cast member. He has the no holds barred attitude of Will Ferrel. Most of the cast had more to do this week. The 50 Shades of Gray auditions were great.

Got around to watching this last night. Was fearing a bad show; I don't find Miley to be a very funny host, or a good actor, however her willingness to poke fun of herself mostly made up for that. Taran Killam killed it with his impersonation of Christopher Waltz, however I'd say he's the standout male cast member. I find all of the women very funny with the exception of Aidy Bryant. It maybe the strongest group of female comedians ever on SNL. None of the sketches after Weekend Update were very funny, however they were all short or weird enough to hold my interest.
post #43 of 112
Loved killiams John boehner in the "it's our party, the republican party"

Best cast member snl has left

Kudos to Miley for her take on michellebach

Well written, timely political skit in the best of the snl tradition
post #44 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Loved killiams John boehner in the "it's our party, the republican party"

Best cast member snl has left

Kudos to Miley for her take on michellebach

Well written, timely political skit in the best of the snl tradition

Agreed, and Weekend Update didn't pull any punches either (finally). Biting satire may be the only workable weapon left.
post #45 of 112
Checking in after a night at the bar biggrin.gif LOL

Loving the NASA Gov. shut down skit
post #46 of 112
yes, the opening skit was fairly good. but the only offering that had me actually laughing out loud was "boy dance party."
''
post #47 of 112
Thread Starter 
WHEW... what a stinker! Worst show I can remember in a very long time. HORRIBLE! Did I smile once at the live stuff? I don't think so (other than at the usual gems from WU, and the well-made well-written well-edited pre-shot on-film bits).

This now seems to be the Vanessa Bayer / Taram Killam show, closely followed by co-starring roles by Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, and Noel Wells (the "new girl"). Seems like impressions are the name of the game now, with comedy writing that produces true laughter for sketches gone by the wayside. No matter that they've brought in "squealing shrieking" audience members to close out each bit with "hysterical screaming laughter" (as if this was funny, and was to represent applause for a job well done)... like many other shows are also doing. SQUEALING IS OFFENSIVE TO ME!! And when I couldn't wait to see the end of the sketch, fake applause and squealing is the LAST thing I want to then be subjected to.

Thankfully, they gave Nasim several things to do. I really enjoyed her Aziz Ansari and Kristin Chenoweth impressions last week in the "50 Shades of Grey" audition tapes sketch.

I hope they fire Kyle Mooney fast. His continuing mumbling delivery no matter what they give him to do makes it simply impossible to understand what he's saying, and thus nothing he does can possibly be funny. Even the audience is baffled. DREADFUL!!

Can't decide what the worst bits were last night, but it was just an AWFUL show. Bruce Willis is a HORRIBLE HOST. And he is NOT FUNNY.
post #48 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

WHEW... what a stinker! Worst show I can remember in a very long time. HORRIBLE! Did I smile once at the live stuff? I don't think so (other than at the usual gems from WU, and the well-made well-written well-edited pre-shot on-film bits).

This now seems to be the Vanessa Bayer / Taram Killam show, closely followed by co-starring roles by Kate McKinnon, Cecily Strong, and Noel Wells (the "new girl"). Seems like impressions are the name of the game now, with comedy writing that produces true laughter for sketches gone by the wayside. No matter that they've brought in "squealing shrieking" audience members to close out each bit with "hysterical screaming laughter" (as if this was funny, and was to represent applause for a job well done)... like many other shows are also doing. SQUEALING IS OFFENSIVE TO ME!! And when I couldn't wait to see the end of the sketch, fake applause and squealing is the LAST thing I want to then be subjected to.

Thankfully, they gave Nasim several things to do. I really enjoyed her Aziz Ansari and Kristin Chenoweth impressions last week in the "50 Shades of Grey" audition tapes sketch.

I hope they fire Kyle Mooney fast. His continuing mumbling delivery no matter what they give him to do makes it simply impossible to understand what he's saying, and thus nothing he does can possibly be funny. Even the audience is baffled. DREADFUL!!

Can't decide what the worst bits were last night, but it was just an AWFUL show. Bruce Willis is a HORRIBLE HOST. And he is NOT FUNNY.

You didn't find the "Black Ops" sketch at all funny? Or the "24 Hour Actress Energy" drink commercial? The monologue wasn't very good, the Centauri Vodka sketch sucked, and the Barbershop sketch was a one-trick pony that went on too long. But I liked the rest of the show. Aidy Bryant was actually briefly funny at the end of the Lady Gaga sketch, that was unusual. All in all it was a decent enough episode I thought, weakest of the season thus far though.
post #49 of 112
Loved the kris and bruce Jenner bit on weekend update
post #50 of 112
It's a usual pattern for SNL: A run of poor shows (and I think they've all been poor this season, excepting a sketch here and there), then a break, then they will come back, usually after a break, with a good show to silence the criticism. But it doesn't matter. NBC will doubtlessly allow Michaels to continue with the show as long as he sees fit. And I'll continue to watch.
post #51 of 112
I think you could collect all the really funny sketches on SNL over the years, excepting W.U. and the pre-recorded sketches which are almost always funny, and perhaps have enough to fill one or two seasons with real, side-splitting levity. The rest is all filler - a gigantic, cumulative waste of performing talent.

Yet I still watch, hoping for a nugget or two of gold amongst all the weekly lead. Somehow, the Daily Show and Colbert Report manage a much higher percentage of really funny stuff while producing even more hours of programming than SNL does each week. It's really remarkable how difficult it must be for Loren Michaels to find a staff of consistently talented writers in New York, of all places.
post #52 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think you could collect all the really funny sketches on SNL over the years, excepting W.U. and the pre-recorded sketches which are almost always funny, and perhaps have enough to fill one or two seasons with real, side-splitting levity. The rest is all filler - a gigantic, cumulative waste of performing talent.

Yet I still watch, hoping for a nugget or two of gold amongst all the weekly lead. Somehow, the Daily Show and Colbert Report manage a much higher percentage of really funny stuff while producing even more hours of programming than SNL does each week. It's really remarkable how difficult it must be for Loren Michaels to find a staff of consistently talented writers in New York, of all places.

There's a difference between DS and CR and SNL. The first two take stories from the news and inject humor into them. SNL is sketch comedy that can't just rely on the news for source material. That's why the comments here always mention Weekend Update as one of the funnier bits. It's incredibly hard to come up with funny material week after week. I think they fall back on impressions just to get a quick laugh or two. I can just imagine that there must thick clouds of pot smoke billowing from under the writers doors because they're trying to bend their minds for inspiration!
post #53 of 112
Checking in
post #54 of 112
Thread Starter 
Another stinker.
post #55 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Another stinker.
I watched the first twenty minutes live and kept falling asleep, not funny at all. I'll watch it off the DVR later today but so far I'm not disagreeing with you, not one of the better efforts.
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

There's a difference between DS and CR and SNL. The first two take stories from the news and inject humor into them. SNL is sketch comedy that can't just rely on the news for source material. That's why the comments here always mention Weekend Update as one of the funnier bits. It's incredibly hard to come up with funny material week after week. I think they fall back on impressions just to get a quick laugh or two. I can just imagine that there must thick clouds of pot smoke billowing from under the writers doors because they're trying to bend their minds for inspiration!

I still don't buy it. Find some re-runs of 'The Carol Burnett Show', or 'Jackie Gleeson', or any of those old sketch comedy/variety shows. They were 60 minutes of comedy gold every week. Granted, SNL has always been 30 minutes too long, but still, it shouldn't be that hard to find a talented group of funny people to write sketch comedy in New York City fercryinoutloud. Yet Loren Michaels just can't seem to do it.
post #57 of 112
Thread Starter 
Interesting cast choices in the dreadful sketches they had last night. I wonder if some had the week off for some reason?

I didn't see Vanessa Bayer "live" I don't think. She was only in the pre-filmed unfunny female pumpkin cleanser, which included all the females except for Nasim.

And yet Nasim was actually given the "starring" role in the dumb classroom bit.

Taram Killam was essentially unused, as was Jay Pharaoh.

New kids essentially unused.

I don't remember finding even one skit smile-producing. They were all pointless, too long, and with no punch line or comedic element. I mean they were all AWFUL!

I will re-watch WU one more time before erasing the recording. I think I truly must have dozed off through 1/2 of the show during my first playback, and don't even remember one thing that Seth or Cecily said.

WHEW! Horrid.
post #58 of 112
the only real bright spot was the wes anderson spoof. it was quite brilliant actually. but you have to know wes anderson movies to recognize how spot-on that parody was. ed norton's impression of owen wilson was impressive.
post #59 of 112
Good episode tonight. Kerry Washington stole the show! Great actress
Loved the Uganda model biggrin.gif
post #60 of 112
Re: opening sketch: At least we know the SNL writers read the internet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 39th season "Saturday Night Live" 2013-14