or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Budget receiver - canada
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget receiver - canada

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Hello,

First time poster here, i posted some questions on speakers in the speaker section. I'm not sure if they will answer my receiver questions there so posting a quuick question on receviers here.

I'm looking to get a budget receiver for my first home theatre. Budget is max $450 or less (hopefully).

Went to futureshop and was dealing with a sale agent to get a TV panasonic s60, and speakers polk RTIA5x2. Based on research on here i was hoping to find a clearance 1713 denon but they had none. all they have is the denon 1512 for $250 or the Denon e400 for $450 (they agreed to give $50 off this as a bulk deal). Is that a good deal on the denon for canada? I e-mail assessories4sale and they wont ship denon to canada.

another option is just to get the TV and speakers from them as it seems to be a good deal and wait for the receiver for better deal since they are only giving $50 off.

Deal ends tomorrow hoping for some quick feedback.

Thanks,
Ry
post #2 of 33
I definitely wouldn't get the 1512. It doesn't have any auto EQ...and it was recently on sale for $229.

F.S. has the Pioneer VSX-523 - a decent entry-level receiver - on sale for $269. If that looks like it has the features you want/need, you might want to consider it.
post #3 of 33
Here's a list of AV receivers sorted by price on futureshop web site.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/category/home-theatre-receivers/10551.aspx?type=product&page=1&sortBy=price&sortDir=asc

I'll assume a receiver with networking/internet streaming is preferred?

I would look at:

Pioneer VSX-822 ($229)
Pioneer VSX-1026 ($399)
Yamaha RX-V475 ($349)
Denon AVR 1713 ($349) if you can find one
Denon AVR 1913 ($449)
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Pioneer VSX-822 ($229)
I was going to recommend that one but, according to the product page, it's sold out both in-store and on-line.
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. i'm checking into them having stock for the pioneer VSX-822 and 523 in store.

Is it worth the upgrade for the yamaha v475 or denon e400? or could i survive with this receiver.

to start with i'll be using the polk rtia5 front speakers. Not sure if this receiver would hurt the sound.

As a side note, is $150 a piece for 2 polk rtia5 speakrs a good price?
post #6 of 33
The Polk RTiA5 are tower speakers and I think the RTiA3 bookshelf speakers cost more than $300/pr. So yes this would be a very good deal.

I wouldn't get the VSX-523 since it doesn't have networking but I'd get the 822, Yamaha 475 or Denon e400. The Pioneer 1026 is a good deal at $399 if you can find it.
post #7 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys

another choice e ONKYO ht rc 430 for $248

is this better choice then the yamaha utterly for 349.99?

thst is pretty much my only option stock stock wise at FS right now.
post #8 of 33
Thread Starter 
Also I found a pioneer 882 like what was suggested for 229 but it's a refurbished. Any thoughts on these options
post #9 of 33
what's the warranty on refurbs?

No networking on the RC 430. I'd rather have the refurb Pioneer 822.
post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
Limited Warranty period (parts): 90 days
Limited Warranty period (labor): 90 days

extended 1 year warranty 29.99
post #11 of 33
so for $260 you can get a VSX-822 with 1 year warranty. I think that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-822-K
post #12 of 33
Thread Starter 
Plus $30 in shipping. Still not bad I guess wish had a free shipping code! Although now yamaha 745 is close in price
post #13 of 33
Thread Starter 
Update: bought the denon 1713 to go with my rtia5 front speakers for now. Next purchase will be Polk Csi a6 center.

Now for help I need. What basic cords do I need to get this setup with receiver, speaker's and TV working?

I don't know much about seeing this up as this is my first system ever.

I don't want to gogo futureshop and then over sell me on expensive cords.
. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
post #14 of 33
Congrats on the new AVR! cool.gif

For HDMI (and any other) cables: Monoprice.com. Good quality cables at a very reasonable price, even after you factor in shipping to Canada. I've been using them for several years, never had a problem with either the company or its products.

For speaker wire, the 14ga. stuff at your local Home Depot / Rona / Lowes works very well and is also reasonably priced.
post #15 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks! So all I need is 2 14ga cords from the speakers to the receiver. Then hdmi from ps3 to receiver, hdmi from have cable box to receiver, and the one hdmi fromm receiver to TV?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 
Also will I need a audio component Cable or whatever it's called. I heard of people having issues with arc

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
Also what are people's thoughts on the banana plug add on for the 14ag? Sorry for the spam. As I'm researching thinking of more questions.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
post #18 of 33
I like banana plugs. The make hook-ups very easy. I use them on all my speaker wires.
post #19 of 33
Agree with Eljay, Banana plugs are very easy. Plug and play. I prefer the seperate bananas where you unscrew the cap, put wire through and screw the cap back in. Makes a nice clean installation with no chance of exposed wires.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Perfect i will get 4 sets of those for my 2 speakers and receiver and some cord from Home depot.

Can anyone give a link for a well rated affordable HDMi that they use from monoprice? Just went to futureshop to pick up the tv and their cheapest hdmi cord was 24.99 and up.

Must be cheaper then that online.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Perfect i will get 4 sets of those for my 2 speakers and receiver and some cord from Home depot.

Can anyone give a link for a well rated affordable HDMi that they use from monoprice? Just went to futureshop to pick up the tv and their cheapest hdmi cord was 24.99 and up.

Must be cheaper then that online.

Pick your color and length. Plenty to choose from and way less than $24.99.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240
post #22 of 33
Thread Starter 
Awesome looks like I'm going to save some money. I just got my TV yesterday and it only has 2 hdmi inputs.

Can I plug all my devices directly into the denon 1713 through hdmi and only have 1 hdmi going to my TV,?

Thanks again for the help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Can I plug all my devices directly into the denon 1713 through hdmi and only have 1 hdmi going to my TV?
Yes
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Awesome looks like I'm going to save some money. I just got my TV yesterday and it only has 2 hdmi inputs.

Can I plug all my devices directly into the denon 1713 through hdmi and only have 1 hdmi going to my TV,?

Thanks again for the help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Ideally, yes, but some cable/sat boxes have HDMI handshake issues when connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR) and so the HDMI cable must be connected directly to the TV with optical from the cable/sat box to the AVR so advisable to pick up a couple of optical cables as well when making your other purchases at Monoprice.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Ideally, yes, but some cable/sat boxes have HDMI handshake issues when connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR) and so the HDMI cable must be connected directly to the TV with optical from the cable/sat box to the AVR so advisable to pick up a couple of optical cables as well when making your other purchases at Monoprice.
That seems too unlikely to buy optical cables just in case. But...whatever.
post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 
Okay, so is this what you are referring to when you say "optical" cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Okay, so is this what you are referring to when you say "optical" cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2
Yes
post #28 of 33
Thread Starter 
Seperate question for anyone who has ordered from monoprice and lives in canada. it's giving me this duties disclaimer and that it will be collected upon delivery.

What should i expected with this? how much and how does it get collected? Just buying the few cords i talked about, can't imagine its much on a $10 order
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Okay, so is this what you are referring to when you say "optical" cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2

Yes, good to have a spare in case one goes bad. Also remember to remove the plastic cap before inserting into the AVR and cable/sat box if used.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycan View Post

Seperate question for anyone who has ordered from monoprice and lives in canada. it's giving me this duties disclaimer and that it will be collected upon delivery.

What should i expected with this? how much and how does it get collected? Just buying the few cords i talked about, can't imagine its much on a $10 order
Contact Monoprice and ask them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Budget receiver - canada