or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Valve, "Linux is the future of gaming" - Shots fired?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Valve, "Linux is the future of gaming" - Shots fired? - Page 6

post #151 of 428
http://www.pcgamer.com/page/3/

Very interesting computer news.

Along with the G-Sync from Nvidia they are also saying that 4k gaming is the way of the future.

I am posting this here because 4k is going to be seen more and more in the living rooms of houses than they will in offices. Therefore, I hope to see the G-Sync devices in TV displays as well in the coming years.

Before, I never saw myself running more than one video card. However, with 4k gaming and this G-Sync all but eliminating screen tearing...I can see myself rocking a pair of GTX 770 or similar cards.
post #152 of 428
Well, 4K "Is the future of gaming" is like saying "Water will keep us from being thirsty"...not you, them I mean. Set manufacturers spent 10 years enjoying the mad jump from SD to HD.

But that ship has saled and they're back to wondering what they can sell us that will set off a tidal-wave of purchasing.....and right now...after 3D...after Apps.....after Wafer-Thin sets.....
we'll have to have another resolution bump.

Kinda like Audio.....I'm still using a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver I purchased in 1998 *!!!!*....audio has had a hard time selling us all new stuff once we made the Prologic jump.

They can't conceivably expect people to have more speakers in their rooms at this point....
post #153 of 428
Well, the 4K kinda did shock me because the sets are so big usually. That will make it a little hard for someone to play a game sitting at a desk with the monitor only a few feet away.
post #154 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Well, the 4K kinda did shock me because the sets are so big usually. That will make it a little hard for someone to play a game sitting at a desk with the monitor only a few feet away.
Hell I wouldn't mind having a 60" 4K screen in my living room right now since I'm only about 10 feet away if that. The G-sync sounds interesting, but how soon will that tech make it into the living room?
post #155 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Hell I wouldn't mind having a 60" 4K screen in my living room right now since I'm only about 10 feet away if that. The G-sync sounds interesting, but how soon will that tech make it into the living room?

I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #156 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know the chances are small, but we can dream. But if they really are pushing 4K on computers it may be somethign that we see in the next 2-3 years.
post #157 of 428
I have so many issues with playability of PC games @1080p in the living room. Font sizes are often so small and not all games offer UI scaling or DPI change support. Going to 4k is just going to push this problem even further. I really hope it starts to become more standard to offer PC gamers a way of scaling their UI for readability / playability depending on whether they are gaming from the living room or from a desk.

(Yes, I'm looking at you Paradox!)
post #158 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I know the chances are small, but we can dream. But if they really are pushing 4K on computers it may be somethign that we see in the next 2-3 years.

I think we're far more likely to see the tech in large format monitors (40-50in) made by the likes of ASUS and Acer that can stand in as an HDTV, rather than TV manufacturers like Sony/Panasonic implementing it.
post #159 of 428
I see no reason for the TV manufacturers to push that technology. "No screen tearing in your games that you play on a PC that you connect to your TV" is not a good selling point for the general public. smile.gif

You may see a boutique "Gaming TV" from someone but you'll pay a big premium for that. In fact I probably will be one of the first ones to buy this kind of TV as long as the price is not completely insane.
post #160 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't plan to, but it still would be nice to see.
post #161 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post


Before, I never saw myself running more than one video card. However, with 4k gaming and this G-Sync all but eliminating screen tearing...I can see myself rocking a pair of GTX 770 or similar cards.

Two GTX 770 will not be enough for 4K.
post #162 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I know the chances are small, but we can dream. But if they really are pushing 4K on computers it may be somethign that we see in the next 2-3 years.

Not likely. It could be easily implemented in professional displays - which are built off of TV designs and sold as "professional monitors" or "digital signage" - but until it becomes something that can be done without significant changes to the internals, we won't see it in the living room.
post #163 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post

Two GTX 770 will not be enough for 4K.

You take my words too literally.

It would obviously have to be something a few generations down the road. Atleast for something with good enough frame rates. I used the GTX 770 as the example as it offers one of the best performance per dollar that is currently available. Two cards will run you 800 while the 780 will run you closer to 1100-1200 for two.

The GTX 770 is essentially a GTX 680 with a different clock rate and different enclosure
post #164 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I think we're far more likely to see the tech in large format monitors (40-50in) made by the likes of ASUS and Acer that can stand in as an HDTV, rather than TV manufacturers like Sony/Panasonic implementing it.

I see what you are saying. I would agree with that, they have much mroe reason to implement this than others.

However, Samsung is a big player in the computer world as well and make the best SSD drives currently available. Which is why I can see them putting something like the G-Sync in some large displays.
post #165 of 428
They make computer products but they don't market them to gamers like Asus does.
post #166 of 428
It is time for these guys to put up or shut up in the big screen computer monitor business.

http://www.prysm.com/technology/overview/

They claimed 2 years ago that the super impressive technology could be scaled to pretty much any display size...including monitor depth of 1-3 inches...and any diagonal W/H dimension. While the depth claims are not impressive or competitive with ultra-thin technologies like OLED or LED/LCD. I think it is ideal in many ways for computer/Gaming monitors. Because the bezel free design is to die for. LPD's technical & ECO advantages far outpace all of the other techs. It has all of CRT's/Plasma advantages. But none of their demons & demerits. It theoretically should be ideal for concepts like V-SYNC, 3D, VR and 4K-8K+. Because of features like very high native scan rates and zero motion blur. That's why I am surprised and disappointed that PRYSM has not delivered on their monitor depth claims. Nor their inherent promise to eventually move LPD into computer display & other smaller scale professional/consumer spaces. I could & would live with a 1`-3 inch depth LPD monitor in a second to get the multi-display seamless feature & ultra resolution flexibility it can deliver. I saw a display of this behemoth at a CES 2 years ago. And PQ was the best I've ever seen from any technology. Equal to OLED and CRT in every way. And with the sharpness of OLED & LED/LCD. If PRYSM just licensed this technology to Samsung, NEC, LG, Toshiba or another display manufacturer for 25"-50" zero bezel monitors (1-3" D) they could technically handle anything NVIDIA, AMD, Intel or Apple threw at it. And I would easily buy 2-4 of them for an unbelievable Gaming/Viewing display.

Mariface: 2-4 of these babies (in much thinner application) would make your new system a killer of killers .
post #167 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

It is time for these guys to put up or shut up in the big screen computer monitor business.

http://www.prysm.com/technology/overview/

They claimed 2 years ago that the super impressive technology could be scaled to pretty much any display size...including monitor depth of 1-3 inches...and any diagonal W/H dimension. While the depth claims are not impressive or competitive with ultra-thin technologies like OLED or LED/LCD. I think it is ideal in many ways for computer/Gaming monitors. Because the bezel free design is to die for. LPD's technical & ECO advantages far outpace all of the other techs. It has all of CRT's/Plasma advantages. But none of their demons & demerits. It theoretically should be ideal for concepts like V-SYNC, 3D, VR and 4K-8K+. Because of features like very high native scan rates and zero motion blur. That's why I am surprised and disappointed that PRYSM has not delivered on their monitor depth claims. Nor their inherent promise to eventually move LPD into computer display & other smaller scale professional/consumer spaces. I could & would live with a 1`-3 inch depth LPD monitor in a second to get the multi-display seamless feature & ultra resolution flexibility it can deliver. I saw a display of this behemoth at a CES 2 years ago. And PQ was the best I've ever seen from any technology. Equal to OLED and CRT in every way. And with the sharpness of OLED & LED/LCD. If PRYSM just licensed this technology to Samsung, NEC, LG, Toshiba or another display manufacturer for 25"-50" zero bezel monitors (1-3" D) they could technically handle anything NVIDIA, AMD, Intel or Apple threw at it. And I would easily buy 2-4 of them for an unbelievable Gaming/Viewing display.

Mariface: 2-4 of these babies (in much thinner application) would make your new system a killer of killers .

I hadnt seen that type of display until now. Those are really cool. My biggest complaint about multi-monitor setups is the annoying bezels in the middle of an image. If you could eliminate the bezels with that I would buy 3 montiors easily.
post #168 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I hadnt seen that type of display until now. Those are really cool. My biggest complaint about multi-monitor setups is the annoying bezels in the middle of an image. If you could eliminate the bezels with that I would buy 3 montiors easily.

It looked unbelievably awesome in the 200"+ curved configuration I witnessed. It was like you were inside the visuals. Akin to VR. But without the intimacy of a device like Oculus Rift. But I have been waiting for them to deliver on their claim of consumer grade monitors in thinner form for 2 years. So I have no idea where they are with it. Other than the technology is being widely adopted in the Display signage world right now. Maybe that is more business than they can handle at their current scale. But I sure wish the 2-4" thin versions were available today. Stay tuned though. Last year it was reported that they were in serious negotiations with several Display manufacturers about licensing the tech for consumer models. If that happens...I hope they don't screw it up by launching models in one size/scale fit all configurations...with needless bezels. Because I would like to daisy chain at least a 4X4 design with 25" versions. Or 4X4 with 15"-20" panels. The possibilities are limitless with the PRYSM approach IMO.
Edited by barrelbelly - 10/21/13 at 4:39pm
post #169 of 428
I eventually end up "tuning out" per se, the bezels after a few days of playing. but with that kind of system, there would really be no bezel to speak of, making dual screen setups more viable. Currently you really have to use an odd number to get your main focal point like a crosshair on a centered screen. Having no bezel would make that a moot point. Now talk to me when it doesn't cost me an arm, a leg, my left nut, and my firstborn (if I ever have kids lol)
post #170 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

I eventually end up "tuning out" per se, the bezels after a few days of playing. but with that kind of system, there would really be no bezel to speak of, making dual screen setups more viable. Currently you really have to use an odd number to get your main focal point like a crosshair on a centered screen. Having no bezel would make that a moot point. Now talk to me when it doesn't cost me an arm, a leg, my left nut, and my firstborn (if I ever have kids lol)

I hear you. But when I talked to those guys in their boothe. They claimed that consumer monitors would be on a similar scale with current technology...and maybe even cheaper. Because they claimed much lower production costs that could pass through. Plus they claimed significant energy savings compared to the other technologies. In my prototypical case it ended up with a 5 year running energy cost of only $798...compared to $2939 (LED)...$2896 (plasma)...$1818 (LCD)...$2475 (LED Projection). You can calculate a current basis prototype on their website. Those are pretty big differences. And I bet they scale up to huge numbers for corporations who consume enormous amounts of energy on a 24 hr/7 day/365 days basis.

But Mariface..this technology is right up your alley. Because I swear, you couldn't discern individual pixels or the points where the monitors connected on that 200" display unless you were 1-3 feet from the screen. And then, just barely! You couldn't detect it by anticipating motion breakup or stutter at the monitor connection points. 6-8 feet out...you couldn't see them. And PQ never changed. Whether you were right up close or completely on the side of the display. They had huge crowds in their boothe. Surprised I even got in since I wasn't buying bupkis. I was there with a close friend from EA. Who had an appointment. It was a total blast.
Edited by barrelbelly - 10/21/13 at 5:50pm
post #171 of 428
That's what I'm saying, this kind of thing would be great for multi-monitor gaming as you could go with 2 since there's no bezel at all. rather than minimum of 3 standard monitors like you have to now. I'll just let it mature a bit like most new tech, then they'll have most potential issues worked out and the price will come down lol
post #172 of 428
I think the big breakthroughs on cost will come from their license partners. Because the technology is already pretty bulletproof right now. They are placed in significant environments already. But their license partners will probably load features around the core technology like V-Synch and Darbee to drive their costs and profits up. If they go this route. I hope they do. Because the technology is stunning. Yet much cheaper and probably much more reliable than OLED. I'd jump on 2-4 monitors right now if the costs were in the $300-$600 each range.
post #173 of 428
Wow.

If it all that it's supposed to be, I'll pay up to $1000 for my monitor.

LCD monitors are great for office work but for gaming they are substandard.
post #174 of 428
Since we are on the topic of 4K. I came across this today:
MD R9-290X Crossfired – 4K Resolution @ 60FPS Those are some good results in Crossfire mode. Metro Last night @45 FPS in 4K.
post #175 of 428
The thing with metro last light is that it's looks don't seem to justify the performance demands. I couldn't get it to lock to 60fps on my GTX 760 no matter what settings I used, but it doesn't look nearly as good as other games that run much better.
post #176 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The thing with metro last light is that it's looks don't seem to justify the performance demands. I couldn't get it to lock to 60fps on my GTX 760 no matter what settings I used, but it doesn't look nearly as good as other games that run much better.

Most games and drivers will need optimization for 4K resolutions.
post #177 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The thing with metro last light is that it's looks don't seem to justify the performance demands. I couldn't get it to lock to 60fps on my GTX 760 no matter what settings I used, but it doesn't look nearly as good as other games that run much better.
Hasn't the Metro engine (not even sure what Engine it uses right now) always been a PITA though? I remember the first one Metro game crippling systems. Part of me wants to play the new one, but at the same time with my 460M I know it is not up to snuff enough to probably go higher then medium settings and I don't want to "settle" for that. So I'm stuck waiting until I finally upgrade.
post #178 of 428
It's the 4A engine, and it's not the best optimized, but you should still be able to play through Last Light. I played through 2033 on my old laptop with a 1GB 260M alright. And Last Light is worth playing for sure.
post #179 of 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

It's the 4A engine, and it's not the best optimized, but you should still be able to play through Last Light. I played through 2033 on my old laptop with a 1GB 260M alright. And Last Light is worth playing for sure.
Great another game to add to the Queue biggrin.gif
post #180 of 428
I still need to play through it a second time now on my new rig, and to get the 'good' ending lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC Gaming
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › HTPC Gaming › Valve, "Linux is the future of gaming" - Shots fired?