or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Help Building Home theater under $800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Building Home theater under $800

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hello , I was spending some time deciding which brand, models , etc to buy and I got this setup

2x Polk Audio TSi300 Floorstanding
1x Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer , this is a bundle in amazon for $380
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0KQ6JU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker for rear speakers $100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QROM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QTOF6PC0G1RL

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker for $120
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QROM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QTOF6PC0G1RL

and
Onkyo TX-SR313 5.1-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver(Black) $200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V8930/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

All this for $800, im new in all the audio thing, I think I have done enough research , but I am not an expert , I read about polk being one of the best speakers and Onkyo one of the best brands for receivers . I have chose this devices based in comparing prices and reviews from amazon and some other websites , after several days I came with this configuration, and I would appreciate all you guys opinion.

I mostly be using it for movies and movies but mostly for movies.

I read some brands are better for movies and some for music but after a LOT of reading many people say many good things about the brand they like, I know you might say , go to a local store and try it by yourself, the thing is I live in a city that none of this brand are available , that is why im ordering online. I have a 60 LED 3D , so I want a good quality sound for movies , well I hope you guys can help me

Thanks
post #2 of 14
Welcome to the forum.

We need to know a few things first to be albe to best help you out: What are the dimensions of your room? Is the room sealed or open to other areas of the house? What are your goals with this system?

The reason I ask all these questions is home theater is not cut and dry buy this and it will sound good. To be honest $800 for a complete setup is not going to get you good quality. You will be at an entry level setup just above Home Theater in a Box solutions. Another thing to think about is audio is 50% or more of what makes up home theater. I say its more than 50% because I would much rather listen to a movie without a picture than I would watch a movie without sound. So you have a 60" LED 3D TV, I would challenge you to spend at least or more on audio than you did on your TV, TV stand, Blu-Ray Player, and 3D Glasses.

If $800 is the max budget for now. I would suggest getting a good 7.2 receiver with Audyssey EQ room correction software and start with either a 2.1 or 3.1 speaker setup.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by topomayor View Post

Hello , I was spending some time deciding which brand, models , etc to buy and I got this setup

2x Polk Audio TSi300 Floorstanding
1x Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer , this is a bundle in amazon for $380
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0KQ6JU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AED492BX4II6G

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker for rear speakers $100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QROM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QTOF6PC0G1RL

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker for $120
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018QROM2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3QTOF6PC0G1RL

and
Onkyo TX-SR313 5.1-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver(Black) $200
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V8930/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

All this for $800, im new in all the audio thing, I think I have done enough research , but I am not an expert , I read about polk being one of the best speakers and Onkyo one of the best brands for receivers . I have chose this devices based in comparing prices and reviews from amazon and some other websites , after several days I came with this configuration, and I would appreciate all you guys opinion.

I mostly be using it for movies and movies but mostly for movies.

I read some brands are better for movies and some for music but after a LOT of reading many people say many good things about the brand they like, I know you might say , go to a local store and try it by yourself, the thing is I live in a city that none of this brand are available , that is why im ordering online. I have a 60 LED 3D , so I want a good quality sound for movies , well I hope you guys can help me

Thanks

This is one day that may cause a few people to archive this post for reference.

I'm going to suggest that the AVR may be a little light, on the grounds that it seems to lack an automated system optimization facility (e.g. Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO)

Also, floor standers and a subwoofer are somewhat redundant.

If money is this tight and I'm going to recommend working over the speaker budget to spend more on the AVR, let me recommend Pioneer's "Famous designer" line of speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

or

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS41-LR-Watt-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B0045US6DE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI

and a larger subwoofer as a bonus:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

Surrounds don't have to be matched.

And check out your (upgraded) AVR purchase opportunities here, the operative word being: Refurbished

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thank you for your response.

Well the room size is about 12 ft x 15 ft. the room is opened to the kitchen, the goal with this system is to enjoy a movie with a good audio. I know $800 is not much, as I have seen systems over $5,000.

Unfortunatly yes my budget is $800-$850 MAX, I just want to buy the best audio for that price, thats why I am asking for help at this forum.

I dont know much about the subject like mixing brands , which receiver to buy considerig the budget , I dont have the knowledge to take see which is better for me . All the decisions made for the system that I put up there was based on reviews.

And you might say , well go with an expert in your local store, but like I said before here where I live there is no such thing. In fact I will drive far in order to pick up the parts. In other words I want to order a system ready for me in the first buy, I won't be buying in several months later.

Thanks again for all your support
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

This is one day that may cause a few people to archive this post for reference.

I'm going to suggest that the AVR may be a little light, on the grounds that it seems to lack an automated system optimization facility (e.g. Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO)

Also, floor standers and a subwoofer are somewhat redundant.

If money is this tight and I'm going to recommend working over the speaker budget to spend more on the AVR, let me recommend Pioneer's "Famous designer" line of speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

or

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS41-LR-Watt-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B0045US6DE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C22-Designed-Channel-Speaker/dp/B008NCD2EI

and a larger subwoofer as a bonus:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

Surrounds don't have to be matched.

And check out your (upgraded) AVR purchase opportunities here, the operative word being: Refurbished

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html


I saw the pioneer speakers and Bic america sub and I liked them, which rear speaker would you use and what about a central channel speaker , which would you buy.

And if you say the receiver is a liitle light , which one would you use, I really dont know how to pick one over another one.

I will try to avoid refurbished since I haven't had a good experience with it.

Thanks Again for all the support
post #6 of 14
Quote:
I saw the pioneer speakers and Bic america sub and I liked them, which rear speaker would you use
An easy solution would be to use the more expensive Pioneers Arny linked to as the fronts and the less expensive as the rears.
Quote:
what about a central channel speaker
If you're going with Pioneer fronts, stick with the Pioneer center Arny linked to.
Quote:
And if you say the receiver is a liitle light , which one would you use, I really dont know how to pick one over another one.
You want something with at least basic room correction. Arny mentioned 3 of the most common: (e.g. Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO).
Quote:
I will try to avoid refurbished since I haven't had a good experience with it.
Really? Many people here have had great success with refurbs. They're not used at all, just returns that the factory has checked out and put back in circulation. In a sense, they're better than new, which generally don't get that going-over.

If you click on Arny's link to accessories4less, you should see an Onkyo 515, which I think has Audyssey, for under $300. Great deal.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ok thank you so much guys

Right now I have this in mind
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker -
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR 130 Watt RMS 2-Way Speakers (Pair)
BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
and
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker (Pair, Black) as rear speakers

Are those rear speakers good for surround? or those anybody have a better option?

Do I need to buy any additional cables? This is my first customized audio system so I really not sure If I need anything else rolleyes.gif

Thansks
Edited by topomayor - 9/18/13 at 2:56pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by topomayor View Post

Ok thank you so much guys

Right now I have this in mind
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker -
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR 130 Watt RMS 2-Way Speakers (Pair)
BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer
Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
and
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker (Pair, Black) as rear speakers

You are getting the hang of it! I'd rather give a guy a fishing pole than a fish. ;-)
Quote:
Are those rear speakers good for surround?

Probably, depending on how and where you mount them.
Quote:
or those anybody have a better option?

Someone else may have a better idea, wait to see if you get any more posts.
Quote:
Do I need to buy any additional cables? This is my first customized audio system so I really not sure If I need anything else rolleyes.gif

Well you need some regular 12 gauge for the regular speakers, and probably some CL2 rated 12 or 14 gauge for putting in the wall to service the in-wall surrounds.

This may sound like greek to you now but if you go to www.monoprice.com and check their speaker wire it will make sense...
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Well you need some regular 12 gauge for the regular speakers, and probably some CL2 rated 12 or 14 gauge for putting in the wall to service the in-wall surrounds.

This may sound like greek to you now but if you go to www.monoprice.com and check their speaker wire it will make sense...

Thank you so much , I've been looking at some wires , I see they are chepear than amazon.

As for the front speakesr I was think in 50ft 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable

and for the rear speakers 50ft 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (For In-Wall Installation)

I guess the central speaker and the front (right and left) use the same type of wire.

I read a little and I noticed that as the distance of the speakers is bigger I need a lower gauge. The size of the room is about 12 ft x 15 ft but I won't be putting the rear speaker at the very end.

Those measure will be enough , or correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot for the support smile.gif
post #10 of 14
There is a table on this page that is helpful for estimating what gauge wire you need (scroll down a lot): http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You'll see that 12 gauge can be run a long ways smile.gif
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There is a table on this page that is helpful for estimating what gauge wire you need (scroll down a lot): http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You'll see that 12 gauge can be run a long ways smile.gif

Perfect, thanks

I think I'll go with the 12 cauge for both, front and rear

Thanks a Lot
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by topomayor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There is a table on this page that is helpful for estimating what gauge wire you need (scroll down a lot): http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

You'll see that 12 gauge can be run a long ways smile.gif

Perfect, thanks

I think I'll go with the 12 cauge for both, front and rear

12 gauge is the "one size fits all" solution to speaker cable. As you now know, if its overkill the costs are minimal. If its needed, that is that. All my speaker cables are 12 gauge even the short ones. Saves me brainpower for serious decisions like which breakfast cereal to eat today.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Do I need any special subwoofer cable?
post #14 of 14
The Monoprice high quality cables work great for subwoofers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Help Building Home theater under $800