or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity - Anyone have the actualy cut out measurement?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stereo Integrity - Anyone have the actualy cut out measurement?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I know it's on their site as 16.7. Is that the actual size of the opening the basket needs to seat properly and be screwed in?

Or is that the actual size of the piece you need to cut out, leaving a bit of a larger opening?

I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I made a bad cut tonight so I'm hoping it's the latter. tongue.gif

In any event, if someone with an 18" driver could let me know that the measurement on SI s site is right on that would be great.
post #2 of 17
The cut out for the basket is 16.7 inches. The speaker diameter for flush mounting is 18.5 i ches accordingbto the website. I have two of these coming Friday.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ya ... thanks. I have some coming too.... in transit. But I've got good weather now and don't want to cut a bunch of holes the woofer ends up just falling through. LOL....

Just want to double check with someone who has the physical basket.
post #4 of 17
I have 2 of them. The numbers on their site are accurate.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
But I've got good weather now and don't want to cut a bunch of holes the woofer ends up just falling through. LOL....

I hate when that happens! tongue.gif
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Lol. Im already sick of cutting circles. God if i had to do it again?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Lol. Im already sick of cutting circles. God if i had to do it again?

Now you see why I take breaks and go ID tongue.gif
post #8 of 17
PDX, I have my SI 18s sitting in their shipping boxes if you want to get actual measurements..................
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Now you see why I take breaks and go ID tongue.gif

After this first ID experience I'm not sure I'll do it again. Hopefully this will be the end of my subwoofer building days for a few years at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post

PDX, I have my SI 18s sitting in their shipping boxes if you want to get actual measurements..................

Thanks for the offer. I think swftman's confirmation is enough though.

Headed out to cut circles. Got a very nice 1/4" bit, Vermont American. I also got a 1/4" and 1/8" round over bit, but now I'm thinking I want to bull nose them. But I don't have a router table for that. One thing at a time. smile.gif
post #10 of 17
18.5" will make it a very tight fit, like mine.

P1010689.JPG
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Nice ^^

What about the basket cutout? 16.7 a tight fit? Could I go to 16.75?
post #12 of 17
You should be ok with 16.75
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks... It's less than a 16th of an inch. Wish I had these in my possession.

Also wish I had some woodworking skills. For the life of me I can't get a 16 3/4" inner diameter. It should be as easy as measuring 8 3/8th" from dead center and putting the router bit on the inside (scrap piece) but it's not working for some reason.

I keep ending up with 17" or just under. Good thing I'm doing double baffles. rolleyes.gifmad.gif
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Quote:
I keep ending up with 17" or just under. Good thing I'm doing double baffles.

I hear you. I don’t know why that happens but it does. I do the circle gig and go from there. I just don’t trust a new cut unless I know for certain I’m on. In your case with so many subs going it’s extremely important as you know. The amount you spoke of over is fine but get it as close as you can, not much leeway.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I hear you. I don’t know why that happens but it does. I do the circle gig and go from there. I just don’t trust a new cut unless I know for certain I’m on. In your case with so many subs going it’s extremely important as you know. The amount you spoke of over is fine but get it as close as you can, not much leeway.

I got it figured out. See my build thread. The pictures show two stacks of circles. The very short one is of cuts that were not precise. The very large one had much better results. I'll use the shorter stack for inner baffles.
post #16 of 17
What kinda cabinet are you building? Two per box?
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yes- sonotube builds. Dual opposed for four and single down fires for two near fields.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Stereo Integrity - Anyone have the actualy cut out measurement?