or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SVS PB1000 versus Klipsch RW12d
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SVS PB1000 versus Klipsch RW12d

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Currently have the Klipsch, considering a PB1000 --- is the PB1000 a significant jump in quality/performance? Trying to evaluate how far I need to move upmarket to hear a real difference. Yes, I do know I can have a riskless trial through SVS but wanted a few comments from the peanut gallery this morning.
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinbeast View Post

Currently have the Klipsch, considering a PB1000 --- is the PB1000 a significant jump in quality/performance? Trying to evaluate how far I need to move upmarket to hear a real difference. Yes, I do know I can have a riskless trial through SVS but wanted a few comments from the peanut gallery this morning.

If it were me I would save a little more and go the PB12-NSD or the PC12-NSD for a little cheaper. That’s keeping the conversation with just the two brands you mention.
post #3 of 17
I would choose the SVS in less than a heartbeat over the Klipsch. Its far better performing sub in bass articulation and extension. Don't let the 10" driver fool you. This unit packs a punch.
post #4 of 17
If I did not have the 12D I would buy the PB1000, but since you have the 12D I would move on up to the PB/PC-12"NSD instead. You can trust you’re not talking to a SVS basher here and one that has had personal experience with all the subs your asking about. I only bought the 12D because I was tired of hearing about it and wanted personal experience of what I would suggest so often. It is what it is... I’m not saying the Klipsh is better than the SVS, I’m suggesting since you have the Klipsh take a little bigger step in your next purchase. wink.gif
Edited by steve nn - 9/21/13 at 10:43am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinbeast View Post

Currently have the Klipsch, considering a PB1000 --- is the PB1000 a significant jump in quality/performance? Trying to evaluate how far I need to move upmarket to hear a real difference.

I have two older versions of the RW-12d (SW-12 II) and a RW-12d hooked up in the same room.

If you'll allow me, it's not about how much one needs to move upmarket before hearing a real difference but how upmarket does one need to effect, in order to be happy with the upmarketed upgrade.

The PB-1000 is a "step" up and the LV12R is a bigger step up but if coming from a Klipsch, RW-12d, I would recommend stepping up to a PSA, XV15.

In the case of a PB-1000 or LV12R, you're going from a 12" driver to a 10" or 12" driver; a lateral move more than an upmarket move. By going with a PSA, XV15, the buyer will be upgrading from the 12" driver of the RW-12d to the 15" driver of the PSA, XV15 with, driver-to-driver comparison, approximately, twice the output And again in comparison, going from a RW-12d, you'll be upgrading from a budget minded driver to, in the case of the XV15, a high excursion, high-end driver with more amplification which will equal a lot more headroom.

If budget is your limitation, I'd look to a Rythmki, LV12R and if budget is not so much a consideration, and you have more to give to the cause, to give the best response I'm capable, I'd recommend considering the likes of a PSA, XV15. Doing what I recommend will give you a noticeable difference, expectedly bring you subwoofer satisfaction and long term protection against near term cases of upgradeitist.

I would also recommend keeping the future purchase of a second or third subwoofer on the table.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I only bought the 12D because I was tired of hearing about it and wanted personal experience of what I would suggest so often.

And that folks is a perfect example of why one shouldn't hang out on this forum........we're bad influences on each other. tongue.gif

Quote:
I’m saying since you have the Klipsh take a little bigger step in your next purchase. wink.gif

...^...

What he said.
post #7 of 17
^^^ It just killed me to see the 12D guys going on about their bass when I knew so much more was to be had. I now understand and leave them alone. No it’s not like many of the other options I’ve bought or built, but none the same I can see what they are excited about for $278 wink.gif It's all good
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

I now understand and leave them alone.

Now we both know better. biggrin.gif

(And this after getting our three, 12", subwoofer system down to a usable 20Hz)
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In the case of a PB-1000 or LV12R, you're going from a 12" driver to a 10" or 12" driver; a lateral move more than an upmarket move. By going with a PSA, XV15, the buyer will be upgrading from the 12" driver of the RW-12d to the 15" driver of the PSA, XV15 with, driver-to-driver comparison, approximately, twice the output And again in comparison, going from a RW-12d, you'll be upgrading from a budget minded driver to, in the case of the XV15, a high excursion, high-end driver with more amplification which will equal a lot more headroom.

You are clearly mistaken if you think going from a Klipsch to the LV12-R is a latteral move. The bass on the LV12_R is uncanningly articulate and I would pit it against any sealed sub for that reason alone. The PSA may have higher output than the Rythmic but I doubt that the PSA plays cleaner than the Rythmic
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

You are clearly mistaken if you think going from a Klipsch to the LV12-R is a latteral move.

This is the comment I'm responding to: "...is the PB1000 a significant jump in quality/performance?"

I'm not saying it's an equal move. I thought I had made that point clear in my response to the question.

Please reread all of my comments so as to maintain context of what you're alluding to that I didn't make . By rereading the whole of my comments, you'll better see that at no time am I comparing a RW-12d to a PB-1000 or a LV12R. If one wants "a significant jump," as opposed to more of a lateral move, my recommendation would be to make an "upmarket" choice, going with a 15" driver rather than staying with a 10" or 12" driver and to do so in the form of a XV15.

As to "cleaner" and conversation which revolves around this word choice, success has to do with how much care one invests in the setup of their subwoofer system. Room acoustics will tear apart the sound quality of the best subwoofer systems and in the same light, when lesser subs are well setup, easily their output can better, better quality subs.

Just saying, as to sealed vs ported, that's a wide ranging conversation which in my opinion, on my part, would be inappropriate conversation for the question I was responding to.

My apologies if you goth the impression I was comparing the RW-12d to a SVS, PB-1000 or a Rythmik, RW12D. In the previously mentioned category, if going sealed, I would rather see one choose the SB12-NSD or the PSA, XS15 but the person I responded to asked about ported subwoofers.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 9/21/13 at 12:48pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

This is the comment I'm responding to: "...is the PB1000 a significant jump in quality/performance?"

I'm not saying it's an equal move. I thought I had made that point clear in my response to the question.

Please reread all of my comments so as to maintain context of what you're alluding to that I didn't make . By rereading the whole of my comments, you'll better see that at no time am I comparing a RW-12d to a PB-1000 or a LV12R. If one wants "a significant jump," as opposed to more of a lateral move, my recommendation would be to make an "upmarket" choice, going with a 15" driver rather than staying with a 10" or 12" driver and to do so in the form of a XV15.

Sorry beeman. Missed that all important line "The PB-1000 is a "step" up and the LV12R is a bigger step up but if coming from a Klipsch, RW-12d....." In keeping in context with the OP, he was asking for bass quality..hence my remark about the lateral move going from a 12" to a 12" . wink.gif
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

Sorry beeman. Missed that all important line "The PB-1000 is a "step" up and the LV12R is a bigger step up but if coming from a Klipsch, RW-12d....." In keeping in context with the OP, he was asking for bass quality..hence my remark about the lateral move going from a 12" to a 12" . wink.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

We all try with what writing talents we have been given and when it comes to my written communication talents, I'm pretty much an orphan.

If you note, in my comments, I'm trying to be balanced in recommending the LV12R and the XV15.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

The PSA may have higher output than the Rythmic but I doubt that the PSA plays cleaner than the Rythmic

The XV15 has enough output over the LV12 that you can turn it down a 2-3 db from its cea2010 max burst numbers and it will play just as clean as the LV12. Now the FV15HP is a different story...it will play cleaner with more output then the XV15 no doubt. I know you are all giddy about your new sub, but please be realistic. I was the same way when I first got my subs so I feel ya on that. smile.gif


That being said I agree LV12 would be a upgrade from the RW12 in extension and sound quality. I think Beeman was accurate with his post.
Edited by basshead81 - 9/21/13 at 5:26pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

The XV15 has enough output over the LV12 that you can turn it down a 2-3 db from its cea2010 max burst numbers and it will play just as clean as the LV12. Now the FV15HP is a different story...it will play cleaner with more output then the XV15 no doubt. I know you are all giddy about your new sub, but please be realistic. I was the same way when I first got my subs so I feel ya on that. smile.gif

I never mentioned extension nor did I say that the Rythmic was cleaner than the XV15. I said it plays as cleanly as the XV15 but like any product, it can be be over driven and more easily than the PSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

That being said I agree LV12 would be a upgrade from the RW12 in extension and sound quality. I think Beeman was accurate with his post.

I also squared away with Beeman on the 12" for 12" tradeoff which it isn't and I got hung up on. We're both on the same page. smile.gif
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

We're both on the same page. smile.gif

I see all these little dots, randomly running around on the same page. tongue.gif
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I see all these little dots, randomly running around on the same page. tongue.gif

Mmm, ok... Are you also laying on the floor? biggrin.gif We can make a call for you if you like? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Mmm, ok... Are you also laying on the floor? biggrin.gif We can make a call for you if you like? tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

...biggrin.gif

Currently listening to: Young the Giant: "Cough Syrup"

(little dots, running around, all on the same page.........)

-
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SVS PB1000 versus Klipsch RW12d