or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker-better than Diamond 10.1 or just different?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker-better than Diamond 10.1 or just different?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Now I have my eyes on the Arx speakers. Is the ribbon tweeter and splitgap woofer just a gimmick or does this different technology actually translate into something better? Sorry if I worded that wrong. I was thinking of getting the Diamond 10.1s or the Ascend CBM170's until I read up on the Arx's. Now I don't know what to get. These will be used mainly for music.
post #2 of 27
Splitgap or XBL2 is not a gimmick. http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151628.html http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

XBL2 is very good for sound quality. It drastically reduces distortion and keeps a much flatter bl even as excursion increases.

Planars and ribbons have a narrow vertical dispersion pattern so the sound doesn't reflect off the ceilings and floors. They also have much more surface area than a 1" dome which COULD translate in to more output, more dynamics and lower distortion. The Arx planar has about 3-4 times the square surface area as a 1" dome tweeter.

None of it is a gimmick and XBL2 tech is quite measurable. But whether you would like the sound is totally subjective. Some will like the Ascend while others would like the Arx. I can say from experience the A1b is very capable bookshelf and has strong bass down to the mid 40s. For the price its a damn good bargain IMO and competes quite well with more expensive bookshelfs.
post #3 of 27
Although I think Monitor Audio - RX-1/RX-2 is the better option in this price range, I estimate I'd like the Ascend's better than the Arx. I think dome tweeters are more universally appealing, but those that have non-domes tend to be loyal to them and love them. I'm hoping you'll be able to hear that type of speaker before you're forced to buy.

Good luck!
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Jerrymb is this for another setup? I remember that you bought the Cambridge s30.




This thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491065/cambridge-audio-s30-on-sale/30


This thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489764/cambridge-audio-s30-or-infinity-primus-163/60#post_23740252

The S30's went back.
post #5 of 27
One AVS member compared the ARX A1b and CBM-170 SEs. His comparisons start here in the thread.
post #6 of 27
^^Awesome find, Charlie. Thanks for sharing!
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

One AVS member compared the ARX A1b and CBM-170 SEs. His comparisons start here in the thread.

I think in his main setup he was using the A1b and 170s together but looks like he is going full Arx setup. Picked up a pair of A5 towers from AVS classified. Don't know if he is still using the 170s or not.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?2054-Arx-A5-appears-as-one-of-eight-contenders-in-Home-Theater-Shack-event&p=9101#post9101

Both are quality speakers but i'm obviously biased toward Arx.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I think in his main setup he was using the A1b and 170s together but looks like he is going full Arx setup. Picked up a pair of A5 towers from AVS classified. Don't know if he is still using the 170s or not.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?2054-Arx-A5-appears-as-one-of-eight-contenders-in-Home-Theater-Shack-event&p=9101#post9101

Both are quality speakers but i'm obviously biased toward Arx.

He seemed to feel that they were comparable speakers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with EITHER set of speakers.......it comes down to listener preference, as both Darkpoet and Buford have noted........just glad I have BOTH biggrin.gif
post #9 of 27
Yep its all personal preference. I wouldn't say either was a better speaker over the other, but looks like he liked the Arx just a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post


Still prefer the Arxs neutral, laid-back presentation over the Ascends slightly more forward aspect for most listening........

In the end though its nice to see such a great variety of ID speakers. Its better for everyone with such good choices from good companies.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

The S30's went back.

Didn't you just order another pair of Oak s30's 3 days ago?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491065/cambridge-audio-s30-on-sale/30#post_23752257
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

The S30's went back.

Didn't you just order another pair of Oak s30's 3 days ago?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491065/cambridge-audio-s30-on-sale/30#post_23752257

I'm sorry I should have posted that I cancelled the order before it shipped.
post #12 of 27
jerrymb that's 4 s30 returns ,what exactly you are looking on that budget ?what type of sound?

You was complaining and return the s30 3 times because you thought that the finish was defective,I explained to you that the speakers finish is like that and I send you this video, you order another pair and now you return the speakers again?


Do you know that if you order the arx or ascend you will have to paid for the return?

That's not amazon or crutchfield so this time try to make the right decision or you will end paying shipping return .
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
I cancelled the last order for the 30's before they shipped.
post #14 of 27
Do whatever you want, its your money, but remember that to return the arx and ascend you will have to paid.


Now I ask,,,, what exactly you are looking for finish and sound? What type of sound? What type of finish?
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
All of the music I listen to is classic rock. Mainly singer songwriters so I want a speaker with excellent mid range for vocals. I am very sensitive to sibalance so I want a tweeter that's detailed but not harsh.
post #16 of 27
Might think about contacting EMP and seeing if they're going to have a Black Friday sale this year. You could pick a lot for very cheap. It's still crazy how good these sound for the black friday prices
post #17 of 27
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

All of the music I listen to is classic rock. Mainly singer songwriters so I want a speaker with excellent mid range for vocals. I am very sensitive to sibalance so I want a tweeter that's detailed but not harsh.

U might want to try the JBL Studio 530. $480 for the pair at Amazon or direct from JBL.
post #18 of 27
Those JBL are not a good choice ,if you are very sensitive to sibilance then you will be sensitive to bright sound or any type of horn tweeter.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Those JBL are not a good choice ,if you are very sensitive to sibilance then you will be sensitive to bright sound or any type of horn tweeter.

Wrong. U must be thinking about klipsch. These JBLs are smoother than most if not all dome tweeters in its price range.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Those JBL are not a good choice ,if you are very sensitive to sibilance then you will be sensitive to bright sound or any type of horn tweeter.

Wrong. U must be thinking about klipsch. These JBLs are smoother than most if not all dome tweeters in its price range.



Wrong ? Then read the comments from here ,even the owner admit that they do introduce ear fatigue ,but he like the lively character of these speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz3EOjFEct0


Don't get me wrong those are very good speakers but are not the right speaker for the OP.
post #21 of 27
Someone in the JBL thread posted a link to some audiophile forum where one of the members was waxing poetic on the 530s as having the sweetest midrange and upper end he has heard for the money. These are the kind of guys buying $400 cables and interconnects and fancy smancy amps etc...

Whathifi reviewed them and indicated the same smooth, sweet mids and upper range. Nothing at all like other horn loaded compression drivers in the same price range. Compression drivers and horns done right can and do sound as good as any other methods.

Only one way to find out though and that is for the OP to try some in his room.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Someone in the JBL thread posted a link to some audiophile forum where one of the members was waxing poetic on the 530s as having the sweetest midrange and upper end he has heard for the money. These are the kind of guys buying $400 cables and interconnects and fancy smancy amps etc...

Whathifi reviewed them and indicated the same smooth, sweet mids and upper range. Nothing at all like other horn loaded compression drivers in the same price range. Compression drivers and horns done right can and do sound as good as any other methods.

Only one way to find out though and that is for the OP to try some in his room.


If this is the kind of guys that buy $400 cables and interconnects and fancy smancy amps etc...

Then how you can feel confident about his opinion, what is the difference between a $400 cable and a monoprice cable?

Sound?

Buying very expensive gear doesn't make you a smarter person than the others.


I know that this are very good speakers, but I still think that its not the right speaker for the OP ,but he can try! he knows how to return speakers very well lol.

I also will like to see some frequency response measurement.
Edited by losservatore - 9/22/13 at 9:41pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymb View Post

Now I have my eyes on the Arx speakers. Is the ribbon tweeter and splitgap woofer just a gimmick or does this different technology actually translate into something better? Sorry if I worded that wrong. I was thinking of getting the Diamond 10.1s or the Ascend CBM170's until I read up on the Arx's. Now I don't know what to get. These will be used mainly for music.


Arx sound better than the Ascend 170's.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Might think about contacting EMP and seeing if they're going to have a Black Friday sale this year. You could pick a lot for very cheap. It's still crazy how good these sound for the black friday prices

+1 EMPs really excel in the mid-range and the tweeter is more laid back. I spoke with Brian at EMP last week, and a Black Friday sale seems very likely, it just depends on which speakers are discounted. Last year most of the Impression series was.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Arx sound better than the Ascend 170's.

I am a fan of ARX and Ascend and I own ARX. However, please ignore him and do not give him a "thumbs up" He is a troll that says anything just to stir things up. He just likes to hijack threads.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post



I also will like to see some frequency response measurement.

So would I. Strange these speakers have been around about 2 years now (I think) and no detailed reviews. If they are still on sale for another few weeks I'll probably end up trying a pair of the 570 towers and the 520 center.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post



I also will like to see some frequency response measurement.

So would I. Strange these speakers have been around about 2 years now (I think) and no detailed reviews. If they are still on sale for another few weeks I'll probably end up trying a pair of the 570 towers and the 520 center.


I will like to see that too.


If you buy then please give us some impressions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker-better than Diamond 10.1 or just different?