or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC RS40 Picture Has Become Dark and Red on HDMI1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC RS40 Picture Has Become Dark and Red on HDMI1

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
My JVC RS40 performed perfectly since I bought it in March of 2011 from AVS (i.e., it's just out of warranty!). Then, a few days ago, I put on a DVD which looked dark, with the color shifted to red. I thought it was a bulb, but then noticed that the TV looked OK (TV is on HDMI2, DVD on HDMI1). After switching the cables around, trying other DVDs, etc., I concluded that the problem is ONLY on HDMI1, so it is not a bulb.

Any ideas about what the problem is and how serious it is? Is it expensive to fix, and does JCV strictly enforce its warranty dates? Any help would be appreciated.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

My JVC RS40 performed perfectly since I bought it in March of 2011 from AVS (i.e., it's just out of warranty!). Then, a few days ago, I put on a DVD which looked dark, with the color shifted to red. I thought it was a bulb, but then noticed that the TV looked OK (TV is on HDMI2, DVD on HDMI1). After switching the cables around, trying other DVDs, etc., I concluded that the problem is ONLY on HDMI1, so it is not a bulb.

Any ideas about what the problem is and how serious it is? Is it expensive to fix, and does JCV strictly enforce its warranty dates? Any help would be appreciated.

Contact them ASAP and see what they will do. Don't wait and let the time get even longer. You can always decide, not to ship it in.
Reply
Reply
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Contact them ASAP and see what they will do. Don't wait and let the time get even longer. You can always decide, not to ship it in.

They weren't much help. The rep just referred me to Mendtronix. He did suggest that I try updating the firmware, however I can't imagine that the firmware will fix it, since it has worked fine for over two years with the existing firmware. I suspect that a pin might be broken in the HDMI port. It looks sort of the way the picture looks using component inputs where you have pulled out the blue cable -- i.e., very red, and dark.

Anyway, can anyone remind me how to check what version firmware I have? I seem to recall updating once, but I don't remember what version I installed. I can't find the firmware version listed on the menu screen.
post #4 of 13
If it is the HDMI 1 port I would suggest you just buy a HDMI switcher at monoprice and just use HDMI 2. Here is 1 that is 3 HDMI in and 1 out with a remote for $18.70 plus shipping.

Mike
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

If it is the HDMI 1 port I would suggest you just buy a HDMI switcher at monoprice and just use HDMI 2. Here is 1 that is 3 HDMI in and 1 out with a remote for $18.70 plus shipping.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I am currently using the Monoprice 4x1 HDMI switcher, and had pretty much come to the same conclusion about just living with the problem. I thought I remembered something about HDMI1 using a better processing chip than HDMI2, but I can't see a difference. I'm probably confusing it with my Oppo blu-ray player, which has two HDMI outputs. In any case, my wife suggested I just wait until something else breaks on the projector, and then have both things fixed. smile.gif
post #6 of 13
Yeah, I have the Oppo as well and I believe that is right as one of the HDMI outs does use a better processing chip than the other but they are the same on the RS40. I've had my RS40 almost as long as you as I got mine in April 2011 but I'm getting upgraditis so I don't know how much longer I will have mine.

Mike
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Yeah, I have the Oppo as well and I believe that is right as one of the HDMI outs does use a better processing chip than the other but they are the same on the RS40. I've had my RS40 almost as long as you as I got mine in April 2011 but I'm getting upgraditis so I don't know how much longer I will have mine.

Mike

You figured out what you might get yet? JVC or Sony?
post #8 of 13
You have to make up your mind no later than COB Weds. Cedia starts on Thursday and you will be overloaded with so much info on the new models which are still months off that you won't be able to make a rationale decision. Better to answer Blee and say, yes I have made up my mind and release details won't change it, don't let him down or let him think for one minute he asked a less than nobel laurite class question. smile.gif
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

You figured out what you might get yet? JVC or Sony?

Following Mark's advice.......Yes, I am getting either a JVC or Sony. wink.gif I'm actually leaning more towards the RS57(if that is what it will be called) as I am anxious to hear what all has been improved from last year's models but the Sony is still a possibility. There is a chance I might wait till around or after Xmas and then either get the Sony or try to find a B-stock RS56. Wish I was going to Cedia this year.

Mike
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Just an update on the saga with my RS40. So I resolved to live with a single HDMI input and use an HDMI switch to get content to the projector. That worked fine for a day or two, until last night. When I turned on the projector, the lamp did not light up, and the unit would not project. After a minute or so, it went back to standby, with the warning light a solid red, and the lamp light blinking orange. I looked up that pattern in the manual, and it said, among other things, to check the lens cover. I saw that the automatic lens cover was not working, so I took the projector down and attempted to open and close it manually, using the little button at the top front edge. Eventually, I got the lens cover to work, and happily, the lamp to come on. I tried it about a half dozen times, all successful, before I rehung the projector.

Then tonight when I turned on the projector, I had the same problem again: the lens cover would not operate (seemed to be stuck mostly open) and the lamp would not light. So again, I attempted to move it manually (all without taking the projector down), and eventually, I got it to work again. I put a DVD in the player and started to watch a movie. Unfortunately, now the image appeared pretty dim. It was just barely watchable, but we decided to watch it anyway. After about 75 minutes, the lamp exploded.

In the space of three days, I saw these problems:

1. Dark red picture on HDMI 1. When I looked at the HDMI port, it did appear that the pins on one side might have been bent or damaged.
2. Failure of the projector lamp to light; related to
3. Failure of the lens cover to operate automatically.
4. Dim image.
5. Exploding lamp.

Obviously, I am now going to send the projector in for repair. I could just get a new lamp, but I think more is wrong than that. But I wonder: are all of these problems related, or is it just coincidental that all happened at the same time? Any insight would be appreciated.
post #11 of 13
Bent pins on the HDMI comes from either plugging in a bad cable ( cable with bent ends) or plugging in the cable crooked. This often happens from plugging in an HDMI cable from an awkward position. All other issues are probably lamp related with the projector not working because it was receiving an error.
Reply
Reply
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Bent pins on the HDMI comes from either plugging in a bad cable ( cable with bent ends) or plugging in the cable crooked. This often happens from plugging in an HDMI cable from an awkward position. All other issues are probably lamp related with the projector not working because it was receiving an error.
Yes, I was plugging the HDMI cable in from an awkward angle, and probably damaged the port that way.

Regarding the lamp, however, do you think it's worth just getting a new lamp and trying that out, or should I send the projector in and have them check out the whole unit? I would hate to spend the money on a new lamp and then have it explode because of some other problem.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Just to follow up, Mike advised that I try a new lamp before sending the unit in for repair. I bought a new lamp from AVS, and that appears to have fixed the problem -- the image has never looked better. I have not tried using HDMI1 again, but I suspect that was an unrelated problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC RS40 Picture Has Become Dark and Red on HDMI1