or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch sw-115 or sw-112
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch sw-115 or sw-112

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these in about an hour. Both are reviewed well, but i'm interested in what you audiophiles have to say.

I'm not paying retail so please don't suggest something else. I know for the MSRP there are plenty of options, but i'm not in that situation, I have a good opportunity on a Klipsch product only.

garage 4.1 system, denon 791 running deftech studio 350's and klipsch rb-61ii's. Currently have a tiny klipsch sub 8.

It's a garage with concrete floor, about 24x16 10ft ceilings. This is for music only, typically rock.

I think i read somewhere that the sw-112 was better suited for music, please help.
post #2 of 145
I'd go with the 115 of the two; you have a huge space to fill....
post #3 of 145
I would go for the Sw-115 in that room. I don't think the sw-112 would have much of an advantage in music.
post #4 of 145
I have used both the subs (SW-112 and SW-115) and returned both of them. They both are very weak subs both for music and movies. Don't get carried away. Though SW-115 has 15" driver but the amp on it is way too weak in huge box.

You can get PSA XV-15 in less than what 115 costs, and trust me XV-15 will destroy that dog house in each and every department of bass reproduction. Don't waste your money on crap stuff.
post #5 of 145
Or better look at any other sealed sub if music is your objective, preferably ID subs @ the price point of SW-115.

115 is way too weak and sloppy especially from 60Hz up.
post #6 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Or better look at any other sealed sub if music is your objective, preferably ID subs @ the price point of SW-115.

115 is way too weak and sloppy especially from 60Hz up.

I appreciate your advice, however, I'm limited to klipsch subs for a very specific reason. Considering you hate both, which do you hate less?
post #7 of 145
One SW-115 is close to twice the output of the SW-112. Without a doubt, due to performance issues, the SW-115.

As to music and which subwoofer, it's going be about how well you integrate the subwoofer into the room's acoustics. Poorly integrated subwoofers can and will suck the life out of "ANY" subwoofer system.

Of the two mentioned choices, hands down, go with the SW-115 and then see about downloading a freeware copy of REW to help you integrate the SW-115 into your garage's acoustics.

If you're able, be sure to place this puppy in a corner location and sit in close proximity to the subwoofer.
post #8 of 145
Quote:
I appreciate your advice, however, I'm limited to klipsch subs for a very specific reason. Considering you hate both, which do you hate less?

Man here's the deal......how about if I say I wouldn't take both of those subs even if someone gave them to me for free?

For your requirement, you should look at pro subs like cervin vegas. You can have them in under $600. You have a huge space to fill. You want something that's loud and inexpensive. Those klipsches are terrible subs. This comes from a guy who has used both models for 2 months each and ended up sending them back. And I know how to integrate subs wink.gif

Rest it's all up to you. I'm just trying to put things in the right perspective for you.
post #9 of 145
Quote:
One SW-115 is close to twice the output of the SW-112.

Wrong. The amp on 115 is very weak.
post #10 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Quote:
One SW-115 is close to twice the output of the SW-112.

Wrong. The amp on 115 is very weak.

The Klipsch site specs the 112 amp as 300 continuous, the 115 as 400 continuous....
post #11 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Man here's the deal......how about if I say I wouldn't take both of those subs even if someone gave them to me for free?

For your requirement, you should look at pro subs like cervin vegas. You can have them in under $600. You have a huge space to fill. You want something that's loud and inexpensive. Those klipsches are terrible subs. This comes from a guy who has used both models for 2 months each and ended up sending them back. And I know how to integrate subs wink.gif

Rest it's all up to you. I'm just trying to put things in the right perspective for you.

There are very few things i wouldn't take for free, one was the Accoustic Research ARXP52, actually still have them but will be giving them back, just horrible speakers for me.

Considering the price I expect to pay for either, I'm in the range of a bottom tier sub from say radio shack. All I want is a little more boom and the budget (after the living room was done) is non-existent.

So I appreciate what you are telling me, but that would be like giving up a brand new toyota at 75%off, and I HATE toyota, but some deals you just shouldn't pass up. Hell, if i don't like it, i can sell it.
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

Considering the price I expect to pay for either, I'm in the range of a bottom tier sub from say radio shack. All I want is a little more boom and the budget (after the living room was done) is non-existent.

What kind of budget are you working with? I'm quite sure there are additional options to choose from.
post #13 of 145
I had a line on a pair of sw-115's for a fair price well below msrp. However further research and my gut instinct told me to run like the wind.... and I did.
post #14 of 145
Quote:
I had a line on a pair of sw-115's for a fair price well below msrp. However further research and my gut instinct told me to run like the wind.... and I did.

And you got saved by the skin of your teeth biggrin.gif
post #15 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

And you got saved by the skin of your teeth biggrin.gif

I think this criticism is unwarranted personally. I've seen the SW-115 and heard it a few times. It really is a fantastic sub.
post #16 of 145
I wish you had the 12D available to you. I know nothing regarding the other modles.
post #17 of 145
Quote:
I think this criticism is unwarranted personally. I've seen the SW-115 and heard it a few times. It really is a fantastic sub.

Your perception of loudness and SQ require rejuvenation. You've heard it a few times, I've dissected it for 2 months on nothing less than 50 movies and countless stereo songs.
post #18 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I think this criticism is unwarranted personally. I've seen the SW-115 and heard it a few times. It really is a fantastic sub.

Just curious what other subs have you herd in comparison?
post #19 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post

I think this criticism is unwarranted personally. I've seen the SW-115 and heard it a few times. It really is a fantastic sub.

I hope you are right.

Against the judgement of basshead and braveheart I ordered this sub as I did get a spectacular deal from a good friend in the industry. I won't disclose this deal on an open forum, who knows whom is a member.

I don't expect this to be the centerpiece listening area in my home, my living room is set up very well and the components work perfectly together, if I'm having company whom wishes to listen to beautifully sounding music, my deftechs will deliver much better than mash up garage system. This is just for me being a guy who needs bass when he's getting drunk in the garage playing darts.

While I have high hopes this 15" will rock out and blend well with my rb61's and deftech 350's I don't expect it to be the best sub out there.
post #20 of 145
Jpcamaro70,

I know I’m late to the party and you ordered them already but here’s my 2 cents.

I’m a big Klipsh fan and purchased a complete RF7 II system with 2 SW-115’s. I love the speakers but the sub were weak. The first went back after a week when it started buzzing and the second went back a few weeks later with the same problem. It’s now a year later and these are buzzing and making noises like the bracing is coming apart. I will soon have to crack them open and do some DIY to make them useable again.

Just my experience for what is worth
post #21 of 145
Thread Starter 
It's unfortunate to hear all this but I couldn't pass up this deal. I just hope I have a better experience than the rest of you.
post #22 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

It's unfortunate to hear all this but I couldn't pass up this deal. I just hope I have a better experience than the rest of you.

What EQ capabilities does your AVR have?

If you will allow me to encourage; for anybody to get the best out of their subwoofer system, they must have and use room measuring software. If you don't already know, you can download a freeware copy of REW for no charge. Additionally, you'll need a measuring microphone (~$90.00 for a USM microphone at PartsExpress) and a hand held sound meter to help set up your subwoofers.

Subwoofer sound waves do not play and get along well with each other. A poorly integrated subwoofer system, "WILL" rob the user of performance. Properly integrating your new subwoofer system into your room's acoustics will give you your best shot at achieving your goal. If I might continue to encourage, after getting your new subs up and running, download and install a copy of REW. Buy a measuring microphone and acquire a handheld sound meter. After doing this, come back and folks here will be happy to help walk you though the process of getting the best out of your new subwoofers.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 9/27/13 at 5:23am
post #23 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

What EQ capabilities does your AVR have?

If you will allow me to encourage; for anybody to get the best out of their subwoofer system, they must have and use room measuring software. If you don't already know, you can download a freeware copy of REW for no charge. Additionally, you'll need a measuring microphone (~$90.00 for a USM microphone at PartsExpress) and a hand held sound meter to help set up your subwoofers.

Subwoofer sound waves do not play and get along well with each other. A poorly integrated subwoofer system, "WILL" rob the user of performance. Properly integrating your new subwoofer system into your room's acoustics will give you your best shot at achieving your goal. If I might continue to encourage, after getting your new subs up and running, download and install a copy of REW. Buy a measuring microphone and acquire a handheld sound meter. After doing this, come back and folks here will be happy to help walk you though the process of getting the best out of your new subwoofers.

-

I use a denon 791 with audyssey multieq
post #24 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

I use a denon 791 with audyssey multieq

Unfortunately, to get the best out of your new subwoofers, you would be best served obtaining a miniDSP that will allow you to use REW to integrate the subwoofers into your room's acoustics.

The MultEQ is the least effective of the Audyssey possibilities but with the addition of a miniDSP (the least expensive alternative), you'll be able to get the most out of your subwoofer system.

The problem with subwoofers and room acoustics, when subwoofer sound waves go unseen, bouncing around the room, they run over each other and where ever they run over each other, they will cancel each other out to the tune of (easily) ten to thirty dB. That's a huge loss of subwoofer based performance. The addition of a miniDSP will help correct for these nulls, by bringing peaks down to help smooth and create a flatter graph. The downside of the miniDSP is that it takes some interaction on the part of the user but the upside, it's designed to work with REW to get the best out of what REW measures. The automatic alternative is a Anti-Mode, 8033S II that will do everything automatically but the downside, it's four times as expensive as the miniDSP.

As a form of encouragement, just saying, picking up a miniDSP will help you get the best out of your new subs and once everything is up and running, and all the pain and suffering of the added expenses and the learning curve are behind you, you'll be glad you put yourself though the process because the reward will be top flight performance out of your new subwoofers.

-
Edited by BeeMan458 - 9/29/13 at 9:00am
post #25 of 145
Thread Starter 
This is a garage, I drink beer, play darts, and pretend to fix stuff in there. I just want some nice boom.
post #26 of 145
Congrats on the SW-115!
post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

This is a garage, I drink beer, play darts, and pretend to fix stuff in there. I just want some nice boom.

With two separate fifteen inch subwoofer drivers in a garage? You're golden. biggrin.gif

(who cares, grab me another beer) tongue.gif
post #28 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

With two separate fifteen inch subwoofer drivers in a garage? You're golden. biggrin.gif

(who cares, grab me another beer) tongue.gif

No, one single 15" sub. Currently on it's way, can't wait.
post #29 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

No, one single 15" sub. Currently on it's way, can't wait.

Sorry, one subwoofer and you're only allowed wine and brie. If you want pizza and beer, you're going need a second subwoofer. j/k

We'll all look forward to what your, in garage impressions are when the SW-115 is up and running. And then we'll want to know what beer you're drinking during the subwoofer evaluation phase.
post #30 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Sorry, one subwoofer and you're only allowed wine and brie. If you want pizza and beer, you're going need a second subwoofer. j/k

We'll all look forward to what your, in garage impressions are when the SW-115 is up and running. And then we'll want to know what beer you're drinking during the subwoofer evaluation phase.

wine and brie....oh boy, I better order a second sub!
I will report back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Klipsch sw-115 or sw-112