But wouldn't the Onkyo best it on amplification if down the road I did go to a larger set-up 7.1 or 9.1 and it can control both zones now:rolleyes:
- productDenon AVR-X4000 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receivertagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productMarantz AV7701 Audio Video Preamp/Processortagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productOnkyo HT-RC370 7.2-Channel THX Certified Network Audio/Video Receiver (Black)tagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productOnkyo TX-NR929 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receivertagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
- productPioneer SC25 / SC-25 / SC-25 Elite 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater THX Receivertagged by nightmancometh, 9/26/13
Related Forum Threads
- New Receiver Comparisons Last post on 10/1/13 at 9:36am in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- Do I need balanced inputs under 12 feet? Last post on 12/2/13 at 11:23am in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- I need a new AVR and am confused Last post on 11/27/13 at 7:44am in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- Separate Amplification Upgrade Query: Which Way Would YOU Go? Last post on 11/30/13 at 2:11pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
- Help with processor choice, budget: USD1k-2k, balanced XLR output, 220V Last post on 11/9/13 at 12:24pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
2012 and 2013 Denon AVR FAQ, Setup, and Troubleshooting Guide
Last edited: 11/2/13
Denon x4000 or Onkyo TXNR929 or Pre-Pro - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm in much the same boat as I compare the Onkyo 929 and the Denon x4000. I currently have an Onkyo 876 and there are a couple of items about it I never liked. When switching from SD programming to HD, there would be about an 8 second delay as the HDMI handshake occurred. Also, the 12V trigger to turn on an external amp was hardwired to do zone 2, not the main zone.
I've noticed that the 929 triggers are again zone 2/3 and it has no switched power outlet to employ a walwart to send a 12V signal to my amp. So that's a strike against it. It also appears to have no Audyssey LFC as the X4000 does. So it's kind of off the table for me. I'm now wondering if the Denon has that 8 second delay when switching sources. It seems to me it wouldn't because as I recall, they dealt with that several years ago. I'd like to eventually go to 9.1 and assume that with the Denon you could assign 2 internal amp channels to front wides, etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
You could assign the internal amps to power the front wides / heights ( I believe ) but would still need an external amp to power the two speakers ( fronts ostensibly ) that you are re-assigning. The X-4000 has 7 channels of amplification, with pre-outs for 9 ... so for instance I've got the X-4000 running the typical 7 channel layout, LCR, sides and rears, and am using a two channel amp to power my heights from the height pre-outs.
I understand the apprehension with Onkyo with their heat problems. I'll admit they convinced me they solved the problems but still I had to have a real world comparison. So the 929 replaced my big amp and my Integra DTC 9.8 in my HT. The 9.8 is now in my garage system (I never thought I would see a 9.8 in anyone's garage) with better ventilation. But while the 9.8 has no video connected and the 929 does, the 929 with it's 9 internal amps is running 22 degrees cooler!
The X4000 and the 929 both have full Audyssey treatment to the lowest sub frequencies but the x4000 with Sub EQ HD treats two sub outs separately.
Oh and my wides and highs are an audible improvement.
JD Smoothie, the Oops is on me. While on vacation I discovered your return call..Glad I wasn't too harsh.
I currently have a Sony STR-DA5300ES that recently died and I'm looking at options to replace it with and my short list so far is the Denon AVR-X4000 and the Onkyo TX-NR929. I was at our local BB tonight playing with the X4000 and I must say I was pretty impressed with the unit and the Magnolia sales person quoted me $999 (new, not open box), down from the $1299 they have it listed for and I was half tempted to jump on it but I'm still drawn to check out a TX-NR929 before I pull the trigger on either. I know they have similar specs and it seems most tend to lean towards the Denon from what I've been reading so at this point I'm starting to go cross eyed reading up on both of these units, LOL.
Due to the layout of our living room and the vaulted ceilings, my biggest concern is dialouge from the CC, I've always had a probem with my fronts over powering the CC as I sit about 14' from the CC, I originally thought it was the CC itself so I replaced 3 of them (current one is a massive Definitive Tech) until I realized the AVR was the primary culprit, current Sony and previous Onkyo TX-DS676. I hear Audessy XT32 should help correct this issue which is one of the reasons I narrowed the list down to these 2 options and now I'm just torn on which to go with and what the better value is and whether I should take $999 or wait to see what the holiday sales will bring...?
- Denon x4000 or Onkyo TXNR929 or Pre-Pro
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › deformed surround on subwoofer cone? 2 seconds ago
- › Battlefield 4 33 seconds ago
- › Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results... 36 seconds ago
- › Official ZT60 Owners Thread 45 seconds ago
- › What are your most recent Hi-Res purchases? 47 seconds ago
- › JTR Captivator 52 seconds ago
- › Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread 1 minute ago
- › Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread 1 minute ago
- › vizio m550vse HELP 1 minute ago
- › Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black) by salfirebird92
- › Pioneer SP-SB23W Andrew Jones Soundbar System by drfreeman60
- › White Christmas [Blu-ray] by cristina7
- › Sony HTST7 HD Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer by smail.nathan
- › Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8100 Home Theatre Projector (V11H336120) by S-curvy
- › 2 6.5" 175-Watt Lcr Spkr. by Urmomdotcom
- › Polk Audio RTI A3 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Cherry) by wtxgringo
- › Polk Audio RTI A5 Floorstanding Speaker (Single, Cherry) by wtxgringo
- › VIZIO M471i-A2 47-inch Smart LED HDTV by JNavas
- › Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF... by JNavas
- › Soundbar Review Contest by SocialCapital
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars of... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Projectors from 2013 by skehoe
- › Top Blu-rays for 2013 by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 7 Blu-ray Players of 2013 by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 5 Plasma TVs of 2013 by skehoe
- › Ron's Amazing Upgraded HD Effect Pen Camera by rolgin28