Crap. I had a long reply, and then AVS just got stuck on the "Submitting Content" or whatever screen. Ugh. This time, I will type it into Notepad and can copy and paste and resubmit. Hang tight.
OK, Lets try this again.
Oh yes, I know all about MCM changing folder and file names. I've been doing that since my 2nd Rip. It sets them to have the "The" at the end of the title name and just before the date that it adds. However, MediaBrowser doesn't care when the folder name is and how that sorts in Windows Explorer, it uses the metadata.
So even though MCM is setting the folder name correctly, the metadata is still having the title name with the "The" at the beginning set for the movie in 2 spots.
One is the display name, which is fine. This is the text that shows up in MediaBrowser, and it more natural to have the "The" at the beginning, so that is fine.
Then it also has a "Sort Order" section. This *may* be a MediaBrowser thing as I didn't notice the ability to change this until just last night when I was looking at the MediaBrowser server console. On the left of the main menu screen on the server, at the very bottom, is something that I didn't see before. A metadata editor. So I open that up, and sure enough, there are the movies and their metadata in an easy to view and edit format, and displayed in the order in which you would see them on the HTPC interface (which is handy).
So I just went into all of the movies starting with "The" and deleted the "The " (note the space was removed too) from the Sort Order name.
This fixed a LOT of the issues. Now, the next thing, was the sort order for things like The Bourne movies, all of the Star Trek movies, Transformers, Batman, so on and so forth.
So I just renamed their sort order name to Bourne 1, Bourne 2, etc. Star Trek 01, Star Trek 02 (had to put in a leading zero since there are more than 9). And BAM. Solved. This to me says that the sort order is handled by what MediaBrowser sees in the metadata and not by the folder name at all like you suggested.
I went this route because the nesting is somewhat annoying to me, and since they are in sequential order now, it flows pretty nicely, plus the biggest thing is getting buy-in from the family. I mean, one of the biggest failure points for HTPC usage is getting the family to like it, so when they tell me that they want to see all of the movies and not have to click on "Batman" and then see the trilogy, then that is what I am going to do.
I DO still need to nest each of the 2-disk LOTR movies yet. I didn't like putting them all into one collection, but now that things are getting the final polishes, I will put both parts of FOTR into one nest, TTT into another and ROTK into its nest. I already have their sort names fixed for the time being so that at least The Two Towers isn't showing up AFTER Return Of The King.
Now, for the naming of the TV episodes. I only have one series on there, and I already was using the naming convention that you ended up going with in the end and it seems to work well.
So see maybe *I* can teach *you* a thing or two about MediaBrowser (at least about how it handles the sort order).
Now if I could just figure out a way to scroll through all of those "top level" (non-nested) movies faster while still using the "coverflow" type of layout, that would be great. In MB3 Classic, you can type in a letter and jump to that. While that isn't the best solution in a theater without breaking out the wireless keyboard, it would be nice if you could jump. The feature is probably there, but I just need to find it. Hmm... I wonder what happens if I press the "chapter skip" button... More to try tonight I guess, but boy is it getting close to a final, fully polished solution.
Oh, one last note. I noticed some light (super light) stuttering when starting some movies and not others when I was testing. I found that many time, just hitting "Pause" for literally 1 second would make things flow smooth. I need to figure out what that is. The biggest culprit of this I never went back to test "pausing for 1 second" on and that is The Wolverine. I will dig into that a little more tonight. It is almost like it needs to just "catch its breath" for a second between the menu interface and starting the movie. Maybe it is the video background transition to the movie. I guess another test would be to remove the video background from The Wolverine and see it the stuttering follows the video background being there or not.Edited by nickbuol - 12/12/13 at 7:20am