or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC? - Page 2

Poll Results: Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?

 
  • 49% (38)
    Yes
  • 50% (39)
    No
77 Total Votes  
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieatHome View Post

Really been unimpressed by the Windows 8 platform. There may be some new aspects to it that make it a little easier to navigate, but the touch screen and app center is simply a giant Start menu that would be better placed where Windows usually places it. Doesn't anyone else find it's glitchy and unreliable? But then, I think I've got the first version of Windows 8.

The Start menu doesn't give me a dashboard summarizing information from multiple sources I'm interested in (mail, calendar, weather, RSS feeds, news, sports, stocks). Everything else I have live tiles disabled for, but having those 7 tiles is extremely useful to me. I can't imagine going back to Windows 7.
post #32 of 61
SlantNGo, are you using a touch screen with the platform?
post #33 of 61
If you get a lot of use out of the tiles and feeds, I can see why it would be useful. For me, If I need to get to the Control Panel, My Computer, etc., I have to jump to another screen. This is a hassle if I'm using full-screen for something, and I'd rather just take it out of full-screen and let it run. When I want to create a shortcut, it has to be on the desktop, since there's no place for a list to be compiled on the desktop. It just clutters up the screen. I just really liked having everything accessible from that one screen, and not having to move back and forth from screen to screen.
post #34 of 61
StartIsBack or some other start menu replacement makes Win 8 work just like 7. You never have to see the Metro interface again.
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieatHome View Post

SlantNGo, are you using a touch screen with the platform?

No touch screen. I use a Logitech K400r keyboard--the touchpad supports gestures and edge swipes, which has made things a bit easier than just pounding a mouse into the corners. With that being said I don't know why one would use a mouse with an HTPC.

A few others have showed how they use the Start screen as a launcher for the HTPC. A lot of my pinned tiles are shortcuts to streaming content. I purchase subscriptions to MLS's streaming service, a streaming service for my favorite Bundesliga soccer team, and I got NFL Sunday Ticket streaming through the Madden 25 anniversary deal.

While I don't see the value of Windows 8 in the workplace on a desktop PC with a mouse, I think it obviously has great value for a tablet, and almost as good for an HTPC.
post #36 of 61
I use Win7 in the living room and bedroom htpcs and Win8 on my all purpose workstation and my yet unfinished server/htpc/gaming unit. According to MaximumPC Win8 is the natural successor to WHS2011.
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

That is incorrect. The Version numbers in Windows 8 Media Center and Windows 7 are the SAME.

They most decidedly are not the same. To quote myself from 5/26/13:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage 
To be more precise, the version you can buy as an add on to Windows 8 is 6.2.9200.16384 The most up to date version running on Windows 7 is 6.1.7601.17514.

(Don't you hate it when someone is running both versions and can easily look it up?)
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/official-ceton-echo-extender-info-thread/7650#post_23359355


EDIT: I also just verified these numbers are still accurate as of today.
Edited by cybrsage - 10/6/13 at 8:58am
post #38 of 61
This would make Windows 8 Metro UI very usable as a 10' interface if it works: http://touchmote.net/
post #39 of 61
Pretty sweet idea he has!
post #40 of 61
Please consider using XBMC. Autostart it at boot HTPC. The best option you've got!
post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

This would make Windows 8 Metro UI very usable as a 10' interface if it works: http://touchmote.net/
Cool idea, but you can do this today with MobileMouse and no extra hardware (works exactly like a Gyration mouse). What is hopeful about this is that remote friendly hooks are theoretically possible. Hopefully someone will come up with something soon.

EDIT: Has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a Win 8 on my HTPC anymore, but this should give you navigation by the arrow keys on a remote.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows8/use-numeric-keypad.aspx
Edited by mdavej - 10/8/13 at 8:26am
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SativaNL View Post

Please consider using XBMC. Autostart it at boot HTPC. The best option you've got!

Unless you want to record DRM'd LiveTV
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Cool idea, but you can do this today with MobileMouse and no extra hardware (works exactly like a Gyration mouse). What is hopeful about this is that remote friendly hooks are theoretically possible. Hopefully someone will come up with something soon.

EDIT: Has anyone tried this yet? I don't have a Win 8 on my HTPC anymore, but this should give you navigation by the arrow keys on a remote.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windows8/use-numeric-keypad.aspx

These appear to just be mouse solutions. I am sure my existing RF keyboard and mouse will work Win8 but the mouse isn't the ideal way to use the Metro UI. The Wiimote solution has a touch mode that lets you perform touch and swipe actions which is it's appeal. Also, saying it requires no extra hardware assumes you have an iPhone or Android phone.

Anyway, not recommending this or saying it's the ultimate or best, but it's an interesting approach. I am hoping to find more touch emulator hardware that can be used at 10'.
post #44 of 61
http://www.ellipticlabs.com/

They have designed a Minority Report touchless gesture system, but I doubt it would work over a 10' distance...
post #45 of 61
As a note, Microsoft has updated WMC again when they put out Windows 8.1. The three modern versions of WMC are:

Windows 8.1 - 6.3.9600.16384
Windows 8 - 6.2.9200.16384
Windows 7 - 6.1.7601.17514
Edited by cybrsage - 10/30/13 at 7:29am
post #46 of 61
I think it should be 6.3.9600.16384 (at least that's what it is on my Win 8.1 computer). TBH, WMC is just spitting out the full build number for Windows 8.1. 6.3.9600.16384 is just the NT version and full build number for Windows 8.1, the same as 6.2.9200.16384 for Win 8 and 6.1.7601.17514 for Win 7 SP1. In fact, on the "Software Version" page, I think the "Version" belongs to the "Windows 8.1/8/7" right above it, rather than being a version number for WMC. Nice power of 2 build number though cool.gif
Edited by rc05 - 10/29/13 at 11:06pm
post #47 of 61
Don't confuse him with the facts, he's the only one here convinced that MS is still doing active dev work on WMC.
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

I think it should be 6.3.9600.16384 (at least that's what it is on my Win 8.1 computer). TBH, WMC is just spitting out the full build number for Windows 8.1. 6.3.9600.16384 is just the NT version and full build number for Windows 8.1, the same as 6.2.9200.16384 for Win 8 and 6.1.7601.17514 for Win 7 SP1. In fact, on the "Software Version" page, I think the "Version" belongs to the "Windows 8.1/8/7" right above it, rather than being a version number for WMC. Nice power of 2 build number though cool.gif

Yes, it is 9600, a typo on my part. I will change my post.
Edited by cybrsage - 10/30/13 at 7:29am
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Don't confuse him with the facts, he's the only one here convinced that MS is still doing active dev work on WMC.

Yeah, recompiling software in a new version of .net is not a change at all (Win8 WMC uses .net 40, not sure if they compiled it again with Win8.1). Nope, no developers were involved in doing that work. Developers never are involved when recompiling software using different tools, right...right?

You are one of those people who confuse version changes with new features. Version changes have never required new features to be added.
post #50 of 61
Active dev work != recompiling software (which is most likely automated). You're the only one here that thinks WMC is still under active development, which means new features to everyone except you. There are no new features in 8.1, and there won't be any more, ever, because MS disbanded the eHome dev team. And btw, the Xbone will not be a WMC extender.

At best all we're going to get going forward is bug fixes, and IMO that will only happen for showstopper bugs.

The bottom line is that for anyone here happy with WMC7 and using an HTPC solely for WMC, there is little to no reason to use 8 or 8.1 and good reasons not to.
Edited by slowbiscuit - 10/31/13 at 6:36am
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Active dev work != recompiling software (which is most likely automated). You're the only one here that thinks WMC is still under active development, which means new features to everyone except you. There are no new features in 8.1, and there won't be any more, ever, because MS disbanded the eHome dev team. And btw, the Xbone will not be a WMC extender.

At best all we're going to get going forward is bug fixes, and IMO that will only happen for showstopper bugs.

Yes, actually it does. You obviously have never worked in software creation nor know anyone who does. The Janitor does not compile software, a software developer does it. Recompiling software is development work - there will be problems found during it (most likely) which need to be fixed. It has to pass QA testing, on and on.

Bug fixes would show active developer work as well for the same reasons.
Quote:
The bottom line is that for anyone here happy with WMC7 and using an HTPC solely for WMC, there is little to no reason to use 8 or 8.1 and good reasons not to.

Agreed. My HTPC is staying on Win7. Win7 works well and is supported greatly by the HTPC community.
Edited by cybrsage - 10/31/13 at 7:12am
post #52 of 61
Yep, you're right - a light went on and I just realized I've not been a Unix & Linux network/middleware dev and sysadmin at a BigCorp for 25 years now, so I don't know anything about it. rolleyes.gif
post #53 of 61
I'm still on 7. The only thing that might get me to switch is the full resolution/5.1 Netflix client but the limited remote support is a putoff.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yep, you're right - a light went on and I just realized I've not been a Unix & Linux network/middleware dev and sysadmin at a BigCorp for 25 years now, so I don't know anything about it. rolleyes.gif

Then you should know that recompiling software using a new compiler is something done by the software developers. If you do not, I call shens on what you claim about yourself. What you are saying is akin to someone claiming they work as a Nuclear Reactor Control Operator and then claiming the nuclear plant does not use fissile material...


You have become very boring and it is pointless to converse with you, so you can have the last word in this there, go ahead and use it to explain that it is the janitor who compiles software using a new compiler and not developers.
post #55 of 61
Sorry I re-ignited this debate eek.gif

I agree that the remote support, especially in the Netflix Win 8 app, is terrible. However, I like the Super HD capability, plus the "full screen all the time" mentality of Windows 8 Metro-style apps in general, at least on the TV.
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Then you should know that recompiling software using a new compiler is something done by the software developers. If you do not, I call shens on what you claim about yourself. What you are saying is akin to someone claiming they work as a Nuclear Reactor Control Operator and then claiming the nuclear plant does not use fissile material...


You have become very boring and it is pointless to converse with you, so you can have the last word in this there, go ahead and use it to explain that it is the janitor who compiles software using a new compiler and not developers.

cybrsage, in large software shops, the compiling and regression testing is all automated. Keeping the WMC team active to keep up with .Net development is like reuniting the Beatles every time a new audio format comes along. It doesn't happen.
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

cybrsage, in large software shops, the compiling and regression testing is all automated. Keeping the WMC team active to keep up with .Net development is like reuniting the Beatles every time a new audio format comes along. It doesn't happen.

XBMC's compiled nightlies/monthly/commit based releases use this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_(software)

Also, nice analogy
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

Sorry I re-ignited this debate eek.gif

I agree that the remote support, especially in the Netflix Win 8 app, is terrible. However, I like the Super HD capability, plus the "full screen all the time" mentality of Windows 8 Metro-style apps in general, at least on the TV.

Does anyone use remotes that can operate as a mouse? I believe some of the Harmonys have a mode where you can use the keypad to move the mouse. If one can do that without having to constantly switch modes or something, that's probably the best Windows 8 solution for now. Or use a programmable remote app on a smartphone, but the issue there is often the battery life, which is bad enough for most smartphones when they're not used as remotes.
post #59 of 61
Maybe favi smart stick with touch pad http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Entertainment-SmartStick-Wireless-FE02RF-BL/dp/B0090BTY8Y

you can switch from a horizontal mode to verticle orientation and use the touch pad that way also
Logitec might make something similar mine works good in win 7x64 and WMC
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

cybrsage, in large software shops, the compiling and regression testing is all automated. Keeping the WMC team active to keep up with .Net development is like reuniting the Beatles every time a new audio format comes along. It doesn't happen.

SOME team is active to kick off the compiling and testing...computers are not smart enough yet to know that someone wants it recompiled and then go and do it for them (yet). smile.gif Does not have to be the WMC dev team, but it is some dev team. Recompiling code using a new compiler does fall into development work so they would not have used the marketing department or the sales department, to do it...they would have used the software development department.

The analogy is a little off - you should have said we do not need to get the original mixing and authoring group back together each time there is a new audio format - and you would be right. You DO need to have SOME mixing and authoring group kick off the process to move to the new audio format, though. In the case of software moving to a new version of .net, you need developers to do development work. In the case of music, you need mixers and authors to do the mixing and authoring work. In both cases it does not have to be the original group, but it still needs someone to at least start the automated processes.
Edited by cybrsage - 10/31/13 at 8:03pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Are you using Windows 8 as a HTPC?