or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Help w/TV, Center and Front Speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help w/TV, Center and Front Speakers

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Working with the electrician and I need to identify the exact placement for the speaker and TV jboxes.

Will be getting a 70" TV and using NHT Absolute on-wall speakers for F/R/C/SL/SR

I've been reading about TV height and speaker placement, and figured that a 50" off the floor center would be appropriate for my 8-11' typical viewing distance.

The center speaker would look better and be safer above the TV.

The FL and FR speakers would look good 24" off the TV edge.

I sketched it out below.

I would appreciate some feedback. Does it look like these are good placements?

I know very little about this, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
Any help would sure be appreciated.
post #3 of 9
Generally speaking, the center of the tv should be at eye level from where you would normally sit. The front R/L should be at least 6' to 8' apart with the speaker height at ear level and on the same plane, slightly angled towards the optimal viewing/listening position. I prefer the center channel below the tv panel. The sub is wherever it sounds best (usually determined by a "sub-crawl").
post #4 of 9
What I've heard & read agrees with what Otto said.

The problem is that eye level is about 36" off the floor & with a 70" TV that puts the bottom edge about 18" off the floor. To achieve the proper height the TV probably should be on a stand that's about 18" to 20" high as I can't see anyone hanging a 70" TV that low on a wall. Obviously people hang them higher than that. But you might want to experiment with heights or go to a store with wall mounted TVs & see how comfortable you are looking up at a screen.

You can Google the subject but here is just one reference,
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-20120053-221/how-high-should-i-put-my-tv-morrisons-mailbag/
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Generally speaking, the center of the tv should be at eye level from where you would normally sit. The front R/L should be at least 6' to 8' apart with the speaker height at ear level and on the same plane, slightly angled towards the optimal viewing/listening position. I prefer the center channel below the tv panel. The sub is wherever it sounds best (usually determined by a "sub-crawl").

I'm trying to balance viewing/listening height with WAF, aesthetics and general feasibility.

The speakers in my proposed layout are 9' apart, and 16" away from the side wall, which I assume will be better than in the corner (they're flush to the wall speakers).

The bottom of the TV is 31" off the floor and already my wife is complaining.
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

What I've heard & read agrees with what Otto said.

The problem is that eye level is about 36" off the floor & with a 70" TV that puts the bottom edge about 18" off the floor. To achieve the proper height the TV probably should be on a stand that's about 18" to 20" high as I can't see anyone hanging a 70" TV that low on a wall. Obviously people hang them higher than that. But you might want to experiment with heights or go to a store with wall mounted TVs & see how comfortable you are looking up at a screen.

You can Google the subject but here is just one reference,
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-20120053-221/how-high-should-i-put-my-tv-morrisons-mailbag/

I very much want it wall mounted, and even in my proposed layout (which is getting some pushback here), the bottom of the TV is 31" off the floor.

It sounds like it's about 11" higher than it should be. I don't know if I can swing putting it any lower.
post #7 of 9
If you wall-mount, you can always tilt it down slightly. The bottom edge of my 70" is ~ 32 inches from the floor, viewing distance 8 feet. Tilted enough so the center is perpendicular to the viewer's eyes. Yes, ideally you don't want to be looking up, but a little bit is not really fatiguing, IMO. My center speaker is just below the set, fronts 10 feet apart, at ear level.

Good luck.
post #8 of 9
What you could do before drilling holes in the wall is cut-out a piece of cardboard that represents the tv panel's viewing area. Mark the center and then hang that on the wall at various heights to see what is going to work best. Angling it down is another option but depending on how good your viewing angles, and the distance, you may affect pq somewhat.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnyc View Post

I very much want it wall mounted, and even in my proposed layout (which is getting some pushback here), the bottom of the TV is 31" off the floor.

It sounds like it's about 11" higher than it should be. I don't know if I can swing putting it any lower.

I've seen and myself hung so many TV's that are just too high such as above fireplaces. I don't see anything wrong with wall mounting it no matter what the height. I would definitely keep the speakers at ear level or slightly above. Definitely get a tilting mount, at 8 ft.you may want a slight tilt. I prefer the center below, too high and it may have to be pointed downward. When it comes to video and audio sometimes you have to throw aesthetics out the window. I have my 73" at 29" from the floor to the bottom of the screen not the bottom of the TV. I could probably go about 3" higher but that would be my limit before I would start to find it uncomfortable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Help w/TV, Center and Front Speakers