or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 42

post #1231 of 3738
Hi all, I finally got my 103D last nite from Magnolia after a shipping screwup. I swapped my 2 week old 103 and paid difference! The 103D shipped with a firmware disc 9xx same as what I got online. Are you able to connect a HDMI splitter to the 103D outs? I would like to hookup 3 game consoles to it to take advantage of the Darbee? Thx Bill smile.gif
post #1232 of 3738
Any possible Black Friday deals on this? Looking to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks!
post #1233 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

Any possible Black Friday deals on this? Looking to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks!

I think OPPO is like Bose and rarely if ever discounts their stuff, would be nice tho since I just got my 103D last nite at full retail!
post #1234 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

Any possible Black Friday deals on this? Looking to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post

I think OPPO is like Bose and rarely if ever discounts their stuff, would be nice tho since I just got my 103D last nite at full retail!

That's correct, you won't see discounts from OPPO or their few dealers. Sometimes free shipping from the dealers, as is the case with Amazon.

The next best thing is refurbished units directly from OPPO, but it is too soon to see the -103D that way. When they do sell refurbs: same 2-year warranty and 30-day return as new.

-Bill
post #1235 of 3738
Is it safe to say this is the best blu ray player one can buy for under $600? Thx
post #1236 of 3738
Yes.
post #1237 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

Is it safe to say this is the best blu ray player one can buy for under $600? Thx

I'd say that, although it really depends on your needs. A lot of people are asking for "the best" without a definition of what that is. Many other players give fine images, and for Blu-ray picture quality the range of best to worst is very narrow, setting aside bugs in the implementation.

That ignores Darbee processing, which is an extra that is developing many fans.

-Bill
post #1238 of 3738
'Just getting around to trying out the internet streaming features of my 103D and was astounded at the picture quality of youtube videos. I'm guessing Mediatek, VRS and darbee are doing their magic in the background? (I'm using HDMI-1 Output). I tried hitting the info button on the Oppo's remote as well as the settings and darbee buttons to find out more but they wouldn't come up.

This is a nice bonus as I never thought I would use the internet streaming options when I bought my Oppo as i was never impressed in the past when I tried these features on any of my HDTVs including last year's Panasonic 65ST50. Heck If the netflix app ever gets updated to handle the HD streams- I might sign up for their service.
post #1239 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I'd say that, although it really depends on your needs. A lot of people are asking for "the best" without a definition of what that is. Many other players give fine images, and for Blu-ray picture quality the range of best to worst is very narrow, setting aside bugs in the implementation.

That ignores Darbee processing, which is an extra that is developing many fans.

-Bill

thanks for your response Bill. I guess I wanted to know that if I was looking to spend $600 on a blu Ray player, and wanted the best image possible ( and this is for both blu rays and dvds) then which one would you recommend? don't care for streaming options as I have a HT gaming pc hooked up. Thx
post #1240 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post

thanks for your response Bill. I guess I wanted to know that if I was looking to spend $600 on a blu Ray player, and wanted the best image possible ( and this is for both blu rays and dvds) then which one would you recommend? don't care for streaming options as I have a HT gaming pc hooked up. Thx

I'm not familiar with other players so can't help with that. You might try the "Help Me Choose a Player" thread.

Have you seen Darbee processing? That's a unique feature of this model.

-Bill
post #1241 of 3738

Hi all,

 

I got my 103D about 20 days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been using it with Darbee processing, and to my personal taste it works great.

 

Can someone help me with audio output settings? My Oppo is connected through HDMI to an ARCAM AVR400 receiver. Should I set the Oppo to output LPCM or Bitstream?

 

Thanks a lot,

 

Best,


Regis

post #1242 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

How has this been working for you? On my 103, 1080p/24 content drops frames every 20 seconds or so. I'd consider upgrading to the 103D if it's better in this regard.

I don't notice any frames being dropped in either netflix on the stick at 1080p/24 or the native netflix app at 1080p/60

Both offer a good netflix experience however I prefer the new netflix UI on my tivo Roamio. Picture looks the same though.
post #1243 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

'Just getting around to trying out the internet streaming features of my 103D and was astounded at the picture quality of youtube videos. I'm guessing Mediatek, VRS and darbee are doing their magic in the background? (I'm using HDMI-1 Output). I tried hitting the info button on the Oppo's remote as well as the settings and darbee buttons to find out more but they wouldn't come up.

This is a nice bonus as I never thought I would use the internet streaming options when I bought my Oppo as i was never impressed in the past when I tried these features on any of my HDTVs including last year's Panasonic 65ST50. Heck If the netflix app ever gets updated to handle the HD streams- I might sign up for their service.

I'm not sure what netflix app you want updating. The netflix apps (native or stick) both support Super Hd 1080p 5800kb/s streams

The youtube app supports HD streams.
post #1244 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by regisnieto View Post


Can someone help me with audio output settings? My Oppo is connected through HDMI to an ARCAM AVR400 receiver. Should I set the Oppo to output LPCM or Bitstream?

Welcome to AVSForum.

It is not supposed to make any difference. For background, see the section of the BDP-83 FAQ: Should I perform audio decoding in the player or in the receiver?

-Bill
post #1245 of 3738
I'm intrigued by the specs and reviews on this but would like to ask for some feedback. I currently have a Panasonic which has been absolutely amazing. I use it mostly for bluray movies and would like to know what improvements I would expect to see in the picture quality on a ISF calibrated Panasonic 65VT50. Thanks!
post #1246 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm intrigued by the specs and reviews on this but would like to ask for some feedback. I currently have a Panasonic which has been absolutely amazing. I use it mostly for bluray movies and would like to know what improvements I would expect to see in the picture quality on a ISF calibrated Panasonic 65VT50. Thanks!

Blu-ray image quality will be very similar. The -103D would be roughly equivalent to your Panasonic plus an external Darblet.

-Bill
post #1247 of 3738
For folks using the roku stick, do you loose the roku streaming icon on the main menu? I've noticed it seems to disappear but you can still access the roku via the input selection button though.

Once it goes from the main menu the only way to get it back is to unplug it and plug it back in again.
post #1248 of 3738
^ This is a known problem that will likely be fixed in a firmware update. It can happen when you switch from Quick Start to Energy Efficient style power cycles.
--Bob
post #1249 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by borloeal View Post

It is happening on both hdmi 1 and 2 outputs. What is weird is that if I shut off the player and turn it back on it will be fine for a minute or two then screw up tv picture. If I switch outputs the same thing it is good for a few minutes then goes and screws up the picture. I also noted that I can not do a split screen In the Darbee mode or a swipe screen.
You are going to have to give us more of an explanation of what's happening. Apparently you have only 2 posts so far, and the other one is in the thread for your TV (unrelated comments). So we don't know what you are seeing.

Darbee is only available on the HDMI 1 output, and only when you are not using Source Direct as your output Resolution setting.
--Bob
post #1250 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm not sure what netflix app you want updating. The netflix apps (native or stick) both support Super Hd 1080p 5800kb/s streams

The youtube app supports HD streams.



Nice. So I guess it's up to century link (My ISP) if they'll support it. I have 20mbps down and 5mbps up which I think should be fast enough.
post #1251 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm intrigued by the specs and reviews on this but would like to ask for some feedback. I currently have a Panasonic which has been absolutely amazing. I use it mostly for bluray movies and would like to know what improvements I would expect to see in the picture quality on a ISF calibrated Panasonic 65VT50. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Blu-ray image quality will be very similar. The -103D would be roughly equivalent to your Panasonic plus an external Darblet.

-Bill





Not forgetting the fact that the 103D will do a much better job as a video processor for your cable, satellite or OTA tv content. Last years 50 series Panny plasmas weren't very good in that regard and if you like me were seeing a soft PQ on 1080i and 720p channels- the Oppo will help tremendously. This was the main reason I purchased the 103D (I own the Panny ST50) and haven't been disappointed one bit.

If you're a PQ snob like Iam and thought Internet streaming on a 65 inch set was an exercise in futility- the Oppo does a fantastic job cleaning up the images and might make you take another look. Same thing if you have a dvd collection.
post #1252 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Nice. So I guess it's up to century link (My ISP) if they'll support it. I have 20mbps down and 5mbps up which I think should be fast enough.

The original super hd restrictions have being lifted now. The highest quality streams are open to all ISPs so long as you have the bandwidth and the netflix client in the player supports it ... Which the oppo does (native or stick)

You can try a test with the movie "example short 29.976" to see what stream you are receiving. At 20mbps you should have no issues with the highest. 5800kbps stream
post #1253 of 3738
I have an early adopter BDP83 connected to an Onkyo 805 to a Mits Diamond Series 73" DLP. Would the new 103D be a major improvement over the 83 and would the DLP screen image be enhanced using Darbee?
post #1254 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

I have an early adopter BDP83 connected to an Onkyo 805 to a Mits Diamond Series 73" DLP. Would the new 103D be a major improvement over the 83

In basic picture quality: no.
Quote:
and would the DLP screen image be enhanced using Darbee?

I'll let any DLP users respond (you might look at the Darblet thread too: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet) but the effect is visible on any sort of display. Front projector users seem to be the biggest fans.

-Bill
post #1255 of 3738
I am glad to say that I joined the Oppo 103D club yesterday when I ordered a unit for my main home theater. It will replace an Oppo 93 that I will move to my secondary home theater. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing an improvement in PQ when I stream movies from Netflix.

Cal68
post #1256 of 3738
Any consensus what the VRS setup that is preferable?
post #1257 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Any consensus what the VRS setup that is preferable?

Probably only of use if you are trying to sharpen a low quality image. I suspect most people are leaving it at zero, although the combinations of Darbee modes + VRS enhancement is largely unexplored territory.

The problem is: how much effort do you put into experimental settings which may apply only to one odd disc?

-Bill
post #1258 of 3738
Is anyone else having a problem with the Netflix app not streaming full HD? Mine usually only gives me 384 SD or 480 SD and I know it's not my internet connection as my PS3 will stream 1080 Super HD. Just wondering if others have experienced this problem or if it's an issue unique to my player.
post #1259 of 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

Is anyone else having a problem with the Netflix app not streaming full HD? Mine usually only gives me 384 SD or 480 SD and I know it's not my internet connection as my PS3 will stream 1080 Super HD. Just wondering if others have experienced this problem or if it's an issue unique to my player.

Check your networking settings. Ethernet or Wifi? Wifi strength?

I recently had a bad spate of this and discovered it was because of something screwy happening between Comcast and OpenDNS (whose free DNS servers I typically use). I suspect it's due to Comcast rolling out IPV6 format network addressing, but that's just a guess. In any event I switched my network router and the player itself back to using Comcast's default DNS servers and VOILA! back to good streams from Netflix.

These streaming services typically figure out where you are (and thus which server farm to connect you to) by the DNS server used to in setting up the connection. If that gets screwed up you can be connected to a distant server farm which means slow throughput. In my case, my Netflix streams fell apart even though the Network Speed Test in the VUDU app was pegged at the top of the range -- proving that the actual throughput over the Internet and through my house network was just fine. Which meant the problem was at the Netflix end -- either server overload, or just being connected to a distant server farm.

In the past, OPPO Tech Support has suggested folks configure to use Google's free DNS servers to work around just such problems caused by the DNS choice offered by default from their Internet Service Provider. I was using OpenDNS for somewhat the same reason, but as I said, at the moment there seems to be a conflict between what Comcast is currently rolling out in my area and what OpenDNS does. So going back to the default, Comcast-provided DNS fixed it.

If you have VUDU set up on your 103D, you can use the My VUDU > Info & Settings > Network Speed Test in that app to check your network performance independent of whatever's going on with Netflix. (VUDU is pay per use, rather than subscription like Netflix, so it costs nothing to set up an account unless you actually rent/buy programs. And thus you can use their Network Speed Test at no cost.)
--Bob
post #1260 of 3738
Thanks for the response, Bob. I have the 103D connected to my router with an Ethernet cable and after I received your message I encountered something really strange. I tried running the speed test in My VUDU and it came back with an error message that it couldn't run the test right now so I did the speed test on VUDU's website from my computer and it said I was only getting a 2mb download speed. So, then I went to megapath.com, the site I always use to check my internet speed, and it said I was getting a 15mb download speed. So, basically now I'm even more confused than I was before. According to Megapath my internet speed is perfectly normal, but VUDU's speed tester on their website gives me a very slow connection and the My VUDU test on the 103D won't even give me a reading at all.

Can you tell me how I would change the DNS servers on both my router and the 103D? Thanks again for your help....I really appreciate it. smile.gif

p.s. For what it's worth, I just ran a speed test on my iPad via Wi-Fi and it came back 12mb so it would appear I'm getting fairly normal speed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread