or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 99

post #2941 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I distinctly remember being mentioned during the last firmware update that a factory reset wouldn't be required in the future. Am I not remembering correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It is not required. It is recommended.

-Bill

Remember you can save your settings making the reset painless.
post #2942 of 3665
Cool. I went ahead and chose the "Erase Settings" option instead of the more involved "Erase Accounts and Settings." I don't remember these choices under the restore factory settings during the last firmware upgrade. Something new?
post #2943 of 3665
When I check info on my TV it shows the resolution at 1080p. The Directv DVR is set to native. The AVR video processing is turned off. The 103d is set to Auto in the Output Resolution under Video Setup. Is the 103d upscaling to 1080p to match the TV's native resolution? I'm not sure where the upscaling is occurring.
post #2944 of 3665
Hit info on the Oppo remote while watching Directv, it shows you whats coming into it at the top and what its sending out at the bottom.
post #2945 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Hit info on the Oppo remote while watching Directv, it shows you whats coming into it at the top and what its sending out at the bottom.

Info from the 103d shows the correct resolution going in...720p for FOX and 1080i for NBC. Both are showing 1080p coming out!

I think I figured it out. Source Direct.... matches input resolution. Auto.... matches your TV's native resolution. I assumed Auto matched input resolution the same way Auto does on my Onkyo 818.
Edited by bigslim - 2/22/14 at 11:46am
post #2946 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

When I check info on my TV it shows the resolution at 1080p. The Directv DVR is set to native. The AVR video processing is turned off. The 103d is set to Auto in the Output Resolution under Video Setup. Is the 103d upscaling to 1080p to match the TV's native resolution? I'm not sure where the upscaling is occurring.

Yes, AUTO Resolution in the OPPO means the OPPO will output what the TV publishes as its preferred input Resolution.

Generally, I recommend using an explicit Resolution (e.g., 1080p) instead of AUTO. First, AUTO requires more interaction in the HDMI setup handshake, and second, some displays that are perfectly happy with 1080p input nevertheless publish 1080i as their "preferred" input Resolution -- evidently in fear that some source devices which are incapable of 1080p output might resort to something awful like 480p (instead of 1080i) when asked to send 1080p.
--Bob
post #2947 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes, AUTO Resolution in the OPPO means the OPPO will output what the TV publishes as its preferred input Resolution.

Generally, I recommend using an explicit Resolution (e.g., 1080p) instead of AUTO. First, AUTO requires more interaction in the HDMI setup handshake, and second, some displays that are perfectly happy with 1080p input nevertheless publish 1080i as their "preferred" input Resolution -- evidently in fear that some source devices which are incapable of 1080p output might resort to something awful like 480p (instead of 1080i) when asked to send 1080p.
--Bob


On a semi related note, when running my Cisco DVR (TWC) through the Oppo, I have actually discovered that Source Direct looks better than 1080p with any Darbee % engaged for 1080i sources. For 720p, I prefer the 1080p output. Darbee and all other settings at "0). So I am basically saying my Panasonic ZT60 is doing a better job de-interlacing but the oppo is doing a better job up scaling is that right?

I also "think" I notice a difference between source direct and 1080p (all oppo values at "0") on Blu Ray 1080p/24hz, even though logic is telling me they should be identical


First question, am I imagining things on the Source Direct looking different than 1080p for blu ray (again, all "0" including Darbee)


Second, is it possible the Panasonic ZT60 does a better/different job of de-interlacing which is why I prefer a source direct for 1080i cable?


Thanks guys for any insight.
post #2948 of 3665
What is best Stereo L/R if I want to use both DACs
post #2949 of 3665
Is there any advantage to using a Roku MHL stick over sticking to my external Roku 2XS? It seems like I would be giving up the wired connection, because even though the Oppo is wired, the Roku stick looks like it uses WiFi regardless.

Thoughts?
post #2950 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post

Is there any advantage to using a Roku MHL stick over sticking to my external Roku 2XS? It seems like I would be giving up the wired connection, because even though the Oppo is wired, the Roku stick looks like it uses WiFi regardless.

Thoughts?

One less remote, but as you say, you don't get wired ethernet even if you have it.

No difference in function otherwise.

-Bill
post #2951 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes, AUTO Resolution in the OPPO means the OPPO will output what the TV publishes as its preferred input Resolution.

Generally, I recommend using an explicit Resolution (e.g., 1080p) instead of AUTO. First, AUTO requires more interaction in the HDMI setup handshake, and second, some displays that are perfectly happy with 1080p input nevertheless publish 1080i as their "preferred" input Resolution -- evidently in fear that some source devices which are incapable of 1080p output might resort to something awful like 480p (instead of 1080i) when asked to send 1080p.
--Bob
Thanks for the info. I'll set the output res to 1080p.
post #2952 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthkringle View Post

On a semi related note, when running my Cisco DVR (TWC) through the Oppo, I have actually discovered that Source Direct looks better than 1080p with any Darbee % engaged for 1080i sources. For 720p, I prefer the 1080p output. Darbee and all other settings at "0). So I am basically saying my Panasonic ZT60 is doing a better job de-interlacing but the oppo is doing a better job up scaling is that right?

I also "think" I notice a difference between source direct and 1080p (all oppo values at "0") on Blu Ray 1080p/24hz, even though logic is telling me they should be identical


First question, am I imagining things on the Source Direct looking different than 1080p for blu ray (again, all "0" including Darbee)


Second, is it possible the Panasonic ZT60 does a better/different job of de-interlacing which is why I prefer a source direct for 1080i cable?


Thanks guys for any insight.
I have an older Panasonic (TC-P54G20) but I noticed a difference when using source direct with my HD DVR. I dare say the picture was a tad bit cleaner. Something inherit with Panasonic TVs...maybe?
post #2953 of 3665
Hi Guy`s ,

Need som more help confused.gif !

I am planning on picking up Gravity 3D , my first 3D movie !
Now using the 103 do you use the players 3D settings or the settings on my F8000 ? or both ?

Thanks for your help _! biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #2954 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Guy`s ,

Need som more help confused.gif !

I am planning on picking up Gravity 3D , my first 3D movie !
Now using the 103 do you use the players 3D settings or the settings on my F8000 ? or both ?

Thanks for your help _! biggrin.gif

Gary 
just turn everything on - put in the disc and follow the onscreen display (probably from the Sammy)

PS: Have the glasses out and ready to go!
post #2955 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

just turn everything on - put in the disc and follow the onscreen display (probably from the Sammy)

PS: Have the glasses out and ready to go!

Hi Bob ,

Many thanks for your help !! biggrin.gif

Later ,

Me 
post #2956 of 3665
I find the screen size setting on any equipment to be pointless. It's not the size that matters, it's the size vs viewing distance ratio.

For my projector, for example, the best objective size (based on Spears Munsil II disc) is when I set the screen to 140" although my screen is about 106".
post #2957 of 3665
So based on the information that I have been reading and been told, there wasn't really going to be a difference in picture quality between the 103D and any other blu-ray players. So I really had a hard time justifying spending $600 on a blu-ray player, but I knew that I had to see for myself so I ordered one from BestBuy and picked it up the on Thursday. Haven't really had time to play with it much. However when I did compare the 103D with my current Panny player I could tell the difference. I even asked my g/f to tell me which one she liked and when switching back and forth she always picked the Oppo.

I must say I went in thinking I wouldn't see anything and I am happy with what I see. I still need to tinker with it and I do plan on keeping it. So thank you to those who provide support to those of us who need it. It has been much appreciative. I do have one question. When hooking up my cable box to my Oppo, does the Oppo need to be on in order to see the picture quality, how does that work out or where can I read upon it.

Thank you again.
post #2958 of 3665
There is no "standby pass-through" of HDMI in the OPPO, so yes, the OPPO has to be ON to get audio and video from your cable box to go through the OPPO.

As for your picture quality result, there are several possible explanations. First, your prior player may have a bug which is affecting its video quality. Or second, the setup items in your older player may have confused you into using it in a less than optimal setup. Although there are certainly examples of buggy players out there, the second possibility is the more common problem these days. It doesn't help that the industry can't figure out a common way to name and describe the setting choices, so that advice you might have read for one player, may not be correct for another player.
--Bob
post #2959 of 3665
Note per Netflix And Comcast Strike New Deal To Improve Netflix Streams, I already see Netflix playback increase to the maximum kbps for the Netflix app that the BDP-103D uses for my comcast ISP connection.

The timing of this is probably to assist Comcast with its acquisition of Time Warner Cable. They don't need the controversy.

Netflix made routing decisions that were clearly not in their customers' interest after enabling the super HD playback lookup against providers that refused to put their Open Connect CDN servers within a providers infrastructure.
post #2960 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Joe View Post

So based on the information that I have been reading and been told, there wasn't really going to be a difference in picture quality between the 103D and any other blu-ray players. So I really had a hard time justifying spending $600 on a blu-ray player, but I knew that I had to see for myself so I ordered one from BestBuy and picked it up the on Thursday. Haven't really had time to play with it much. However when I did compare the 103D with my current Panny player I could tell the difference. I even asked my g/f to tell me which one she liked and when switching back and forth she always picked the Oppo.

I must say I went in thinking I wouldn't see anything and I am happy with what I see. I still need to tinker with it and I do plan on keeping it. So thank you to those who provide support to those of us who need it. It has been much appreciative. I do have one question. When hooking up my cable box to my Oppo, does the Oppo need to be on in order to see the picture quality, how does that work out or where can I read upon it.

Thank you again.

Not all BD player are created equal. There are only two groups of people who think that way:

1. People who thinks because it's digital, therefore everything will be the same.
2. People who never tried various BD players (usually this group tend to be a subset of the first group)

The variations of group 1 includes, but not limited to, the "all amp sounds the same" group and "all DAC sounds the same" group. biggrin.gif:D
post #2961 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Not all BD player are created equal. There are only two groups of people who think that way:

1. People who thinks because it's digital, therefore everything will be the same.
2. People who never tried various BD players (usually this group tend to be a subset of the first group)

The variations of group 1 includes, but not limited to, the "all amp sounds the same" group and "all DAC sounds the same" group. biggrin.gif:D

When people ask we often don't know how much experience they have or what their expectations may be. I always say Blu-ray images from different players should be "very similar" and that calibration of the display will often make a greater improvement than swapping players.

This is partly from theory: there is no good reason for players to be dramatically different at Blu-ray. On the other hand, consumer electronics have always been riddled with bugs and very little technical testing is published these days, much less than in the DVD era.

One of the reasons we use OPPO (and this is the sort thing difficult to explain to those asking "Why should I spend more than $100?") is that they do give a damn. The company is run by enthusiasts who try to get it right.

-Bill
post #2962 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Not all BD player are created equal. There are only two groups of people who think that way:

1. People who thinks because it's digital, therefore everything will be the same.
2. People who never tried various BD players (usually this group tend to be a subset of the first group)

The variations of group 1 includes, but not limited to, the "all amp sounds the same" group and "all DAC sounds the same" group. biggrin.gif:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

When people ask we often don't know how much experience they have or what their expectations may be. I always say Blu-ray images from different players should be "very similar" and that calibration of the display will often make a greater improvement than swapping players.

This is partly from theory: there is no good reason for players to be dramatically different at Blu-ray. On the other hand, consumer electronics have always been riddled with bugs and very little technical testing is published these days, much less than in the DVD era.

One of the reasons we use OPPO (and this is the sort thing difficult to explain to those asking "Why should I spend more than $100?") is that they do give a damn. The company is run by enthusiasts who try to get it right.

-Bill

Exactly - all blu-ray should be "very similar" but Oppo has always taken what they do to another level - like Bill said this is not some gigantic corporation that makes blu-ray players along with Diarrhea medication and shoe polish - this is all they do and when you call them they solve any problems you have!
post #2963 of 3665
Its a proven fact from numerous reviews with measurements that the 103 is a superior universal player. Does that mean the video and audio is 10x better? Of course not. Let's be honest if you're on this thread at all you prefer a player like this one in your rack.
post #2964 of 3665
Without a doubt the finest customer service in the industry that I can think of. I had an old 83 that I still use in a bedroom system and the drive went up on it and it refused to open. Called customer service and they said they had some issues with that on the 83's so they said ship it to us and we'll fix it and ship it back to you. All it costs me was the shipping to Oppo. Can you think of many other companies that would do that for a product a few years out of warranty?
post #2965 of 3665
Its not 10 times better, but Ive personally seen some players offer a more soft image, or banding in their video processing vs another.

Now the "it's all 1's and 0's" people will argue you to the end of the day. I just shy away from those nowadays, because I personally know it isnt true that all players offer the same image on blu-ray.

Anywho, I also like my amp over an avr smile.gif
post #2966 of 3665
You guys are great, that's that's why I come to to read everyone's feedback, thoughts, opinions, and input. Even though I don't always reply, I always read and try to understand what is being said.

I do have a question. I currently have the Pioneer SC-1522K and wanted to know how to tun off the video processing in this receiver so that I know my Oppo is doing it.

Thank you in advance.
post #2967 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Joe View Post

You guys are great, that's that's why I come to to read everyone's feedback, thoughts, opinions, and input. Even though I don't always reply, I always read and try to understand what is being said.

I do have a question. I currently have the Pioneer SC-1522K and wanted to know how to tun off the video processing in this receiver so that I know my Oppo is doing it.

Thank you in advance.
If you don't get an answer here, try the owner's thread for your AVR.
post #2968 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Joe View Post

You guys are great, that's that's why I come to to read everyone's feedback, thoughts, opinions, and input. Even though I don't always reply, I always read and try to understand what is being said.

I do have a question. I currently have the Pioneer SC-1522K and wanted to know how to tun off the video processing in this receiver so that I know my Oppo is doing it.

Thank you in advance.

Go to the "setting video options" in your owners manual or AR setup program and select pure/direct/native (whatever) and turn of any other "processing" features - that should work.
post #2969 of 3665
Is there a way to skip to a specific time point in movie (data) file ? Ex type in 1hr10min and it goes there ? Some lengthy movie files do not have chapters encoded so fast forwarding at the maximum 5x may still take a long time.
post #2970 of 3665
Press the GoTo button on the remote enough times to highlight the time counter field on screen. Then use the arrow buttons the numeric buttons and Enter to change that value and jump to what you've typed in. If necessary, use Page Up/Down to change whether the time counter is showing time for the full Title or just the current Chapter.

Use Return enough times to back out of that display if you decide to cancel the GoTo, or if the movie prevents GoTo as a user operation (red slashed circle icon appears).
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread