or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 17

post #481 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

To rule out a Darbee processing fluke I played the IMAX Deep Sea 3D scene on a BDP-103 with a Darbee 5000 at the same setting. No visible streaking noticed. The BD 3D's UPC # is 883929160464.
Would it be possible for you to hook your Darbee 5000 up to HDMI1 out on your 103D and run the same test? When you do so, obviously turn the 103D's Darbee processing off.
post #482 of 3665
Looking for lip sync suggestions.

With 2D blu-ray and Directv, all is OK. When watching 3D I actually cut the VT50's frame interpolation on (helps 3D image) which adds lag. While I think it's the AVR's fault, adjusting lipsync for 3D when using the Oppo for other stuff would be problematic since I also have 2D Directv and Blu-ray coming out of.

Is the Oppo AV sync global, or by Mode? I guess my only other option is to use a test pattern, nail down the AV sync and then just input that every time Im going to watch a 3D movie.
post #483 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Would it be possible for you to hook your Darbee 5000 up to HDMI1 out on your 103D and run the same test? When you do so, obviously turn the 103D's Darbee processing off.
No problem. Tested the 103D with Darbee processing off, leaving the Oppo's HDMI cable connected to the HDMI 1 output and adding the Darbee 5000 to the other end set at the same 35% Full-Pop and into the 3D headset. No streaking noticed. FYI: In this chain array, if the internal Darbee processing is again turned on the streaking becomes visible in the left view screen in Full-Pop or Hi-Def 35%.
post #484 of 3665
^ Sounds like a bug. Be sure to email the disc details to OPPO. They'll probably also need the video settings.
--Bob
post #485 of 3665
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm close to ordering a 103D and wondered if anyone had really tested gaming lag yet. Found a few small mentions about gaming lag not being an issue with the Darblet, but if anyone has any first-hand knowledge that would be great. I'm pretty sensitive to input lag and would hate to limit the benefits of the Darbee to just television and movies.

I have an older Panasonic Plasma, the 58V10, and assume that it doesn't have a source direct mode short of just making the settings as clean as possible. It's not been professionally calibrated, just done on my own with Munsil set.

Have a load of different sources (I work in gaming, so I have every console plus a Tivo Premiere and a Roku connected) and am planning on just running the output from my Denon 3312CI into the Oppo, and then on to the TV.
post #486 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Looking for lip sync suggestions.

With 2D blu-ray and Directv, all is OK. When watching 3D I actually cut the VT50's frame interpolation on (helps 3D image) which adds lag. While I think it's the AVR's fault, adjusting lipsync for 3D when using the Oppo for other stuff would be problematic since I also have 2D Directv and Blu-ray coming out of.

Is the Oppo AV sync global, or by Mode? I guess my only other option is to use a test pattern, nail down the AV sync and then just input that every time Im going to watch a 3D movie.

The A/V Sync setting in the player is global. It can be changed on the fly while a disc is playing.

If you are sending video direct to the display and audio through the AVR for your 3D viewing, you may be having the "helpful AVR" problem. Since the AVR doesn't know you have bypassed it for video, it adds a chunk of audio delay to compensate for its own video processing time (even though you aren't using that). Just to be helpful. In some AVRs you can tell it to not be so dang helpful by setting things so it knows it isn't going to process the video. For example, turn its video output OFF, or set it to "HDMI passthrough" for video so there's no processing.
--Bob
post #487 of 3665
Thanks Bob. The Oppo goes into the AVR with HDMI 1 out, and the Onkyo has all it's processing turned off. Only thing on is Lip sync.

I confirmed by turning the frame interpolation on and off a few times last night, that it was the direct cause, because 2D and 3D without interpolation are fine. I'm guessing the xtra lag introduced when interpolation is activated is what is causing the video to be behind the audio.

I think my next step will be using a test disc with an AV sync pattern, turning the Oppo into 2D to 3D mode, setting interpolation to the setting I want to use, then adjusting the AV sync in the Oppo. Whatever result I come up with, ill just manually enter it into the Oppo when I do watch a 3D flick, then put it back to zero when done.

Much easier than trying to go into the AVR menu every time.
post #488 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I confirmed by turning the frame interpolation on and off a few times last night, that it was the direct cause, because 2D and 3D without interpolation are fine. I'm guessing the xtra lag introduced when interpolation is activated is what is causing the video to be behind the audio.
.

That type processing mandates buffering of the video in the display, and some lag is unavoidable.
post #489 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That type processing mandates buffering of the video in the display, and some lag is unavoidable.

Yeah, Im just not sure why it wasnt bad with the Denon. I had Lip sync on for it too, but never had the issue with the interpolation on. 103-Denon-VT50, fine in 3D with interpolation. 103D-Onkyo-VT50, not fine smile.gif

I'll just figure a goto number, I mean I only watch 3 3D flicks or so a month, so its not a big deal to jump in and enter the AV sync number before starting the movie.
post #490 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Thanks Bob. The Oppo goes into the AVR with HDMI 1 out, and the Onkyo has all it's processing turned off. Only thing on is Lip sync.

I confirmed by turning the frame interpolation on and off a few times last night, that it was the direct cause, because 2D and 3D without interpolation are fine. I'm guessing the xtra lag introduced when interpolation is activated is what is causing the video to be behind the audio.

I think my next step will be using a test disc with an AV sync pattern, turning the Oppo into 2D to 3D mode, setting interpolation to the setting I want to use, then adjusting the AV sync in the Oppo. Whatever result I come up with, ill just manually enter it into the Oppo when I do watch a 3D flick, then put it back to zero when done.

Much easier than trying to go into the AVR menu every time.

If you mean you had "Auto Lip Sync correction" turned on in the Onkyo, the problem is actually in your TV. It is supposed to return the amount of audio delay it needs when the Onkyo asks. Either your TV isn't willing to provide that information (i.e., doesn't support the optional, HDMI v1.3 spec for auto lip sync meta-data) or it is returning a bogus result when you enable that extra processing (the more likely way for it to screw up). LOTS of TVs return bogus "auto" lip sync meta-data.

Now, it is possible there's a firmware update for the TV (or the Onkyo) that might address this, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about that. So, yes. Figure out what A/V Sync setting is needed and just enable that manually in the OPPO when appropriate.
--Bob
post #491 of 3665
I understand that, but the reason I assume its the Onkyo is the Denon had no issue. Unless the TV's funky report back to the AVR was just better interpreted eek.gif by the Denon.

They are also both on most recent FW, so I hold no hope there. Test disc for the win!
post #492 of 3665
Does that disable Darby too, or just all of the "regular" 103 processing, which I'd prefer to do with my Lumagen Mini3D.

I'm just presuming that that's the optimal setup; I'm open to suggestions otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

^ ^ ^
Source Direct disables any video processing whatsoever including the Darbee processing... Here's what Oppo says:

For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-103D offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
post #493 of 3665
Thread Starter 
Source Direct disables all processing in the player so you are getting the cleanest image to your downstream video processor.
post #494 of 3665
Well, I think Im cross-eyed but I got the AV sync right. I cut off all the lip sync processing in the Onkyo, and started out with 2D 1080p/60 from the Oppo, which is pretty much how I watch my DVR and blu-ray. Ended up with a +40ms setting in the Onkyo. I then turned on 2D-3D conversion, activated frame interpolation and tried to figure out the sync which wasnt easy. I ended up lowering the Oppo to -20ms, to easily locate at that point my sync was -40ms (1 frame) off. That told me a +20ms setting in the Oppo for my 3D mode would be right, and it seemed to do a great job. I fired up the 3D movie I had an issue with last night and the slow dialog scenes looked very good to me. I'll just have to remember to set the Oppo at -20ms before I start a 3D flick.

I sure am glad they have their own setting or Id have to go into the AVR every time which would be a pain. In 3D mode with interpolation off, it looked spot on, but as soon as I turned it on you could see the AV sync fall behind slightly. I used the Spears and Munsil Ver 2.0 AV Sync pattern, seemed to be real handy.
post #495 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Source Direct disables all processing in the player so you are getting the cleanest image to your downstream video processor.

I always use source direct when watching a Blu Ray on the OPPO Sam Edith the SSP-800, no processing just pure sound smile.gif
post #496 of 3665
Spot the difference smile.gif

post #497 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Spot the difference smile.gif


Can you see it in moving images? biggrin.gif
post #498 of 3665
It also amplified the noise towards the bottom on the left image.

How high was it cranked up?
post #499 of 3665
It was on Hi Def mode, 50%..
Will post a more substantial review when I get a chance to sit down over the weekend..
post #500 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

No problem. Tested the 103D with Darbee processing off, leaving the Oppo's HDMI cable connected to the HDMI 1 output and adding the Darbee 5000 to the other end set at the same 35% Full-Pop and into the 3D headset. No streaking noticed. FYI: In this chain array, if the internal Darbee processing is again turned on the streaking becomes visible in the left view screen in Full-Pop or Hi-Def 35%.

So Paul, just to clarify. You think there is an issue with the Darbee implementation in the 103D that you are not seeing when using the external Darblet, correct?

If that's the case, I'm certainly waiting until this is resolved before considering selling my Darblet and getting the 103D.
post #501 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View PostSo Paul, just to clarify. You think there is an issue with the Darbee implementation in the 103D that you are not seeing when using the external Darblet, correct?  If that's the case, I'm certainly waiting until this is resolved before considering selling my Darblet and getting the 103D.

Looks like bugs again :(

post #502 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Sounds like a bug. Be sure to email the disc details to OPPO. They'll probably also need the video settings.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

So Paul, just to clarify. You think there is an issue with the Darbee implementation in the 103D that you are not seeing when using the external Darblet, correct?

If that's the case, I'm certainly waiting until this is resolved before considering selling my Darblet and getting the 103D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Looks like bugs again frown.gif
Sent the details to the capable people at Oppo and they sent a reply the same day.smile.gif
Quote:
Paul,

We have confirmed the issues that you have observed and we also do not notice the same errors when going through a dedicated Darbee Darblet. Our engineers will be investigating the errors closely and will look to resolve them through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
post #503 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Source Direct disables all processing in the player so you are getting the cleanest image to your downstream video processor.

Would I effectively get Source Direct + Darbee by turning off everything else or setting it to zero?
post #504 of 3665
Thread Starter 
From a processing standpoint the player is reference with everything set to 0. Source Direct goes beyond this by forcing the player to not do any frame rate conversions, de-interlacing, or scaling. So you really can't do Source Direct + Darbee unless you changed the output resolution of the player to meet the input resolution of the source (ex. select 1080p with 24Hz Output set to ON for Blu-ray, or setting the player to 480i for DVD).
post #505 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post



Sent the details to the capable people at Oppo and they sent a reply the same day.smile.gif

Paul, thanks for finding this and bringing it to oppo's attention.

Please let us know if you hear anything from oppo about a fix.
post #506 of 3665
Anyone tried play mkv through network?
I can browse my mkv files but when I play nothing happen instead it crashed the software. After that the home button also no respond. Only power off is possible. Is this fauty set or firmware issue?
post #507 of 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbad2000 View Post

Anyone tried play mkv through network?

Yes, this is commonly done.
Quote:
I can browse my mkv files but when I play nothing happen instead it crashed the software. After that the home button also no respond. Only power off is possible. Is this fauty set or firmware issue?

Are you using DLNA or SMB? Do you know what server software?

Try some of the files on local storage attached to the player. If they don't play there then it is not a network issue and we will have to investigate what A/V codecs you are using and how the files were made.

-Bill
post #508 of 3665
Hello. Ok got me oppo bdp-103d and hooked it up did the DVD up date it came with. Now I have an issue that I can't figure out. On the right side of the screen about 2 inches of it comes in all screwed up. It seems to come and go and I have tried different hdmi cables and shut off all settings but it did not make a difference. I think it is the player but am not sure. I use any other source and it dose not happen it is the oppo player that's doing it.


Any one eels having a problem or ideas.
post #509 of 3665
Thread Starter 
Is this only on your cable/satellite box, or from Blu-rays and DVDs as well?

What happens if you use HDMI 2 instead of HDMI 1?
post #510 of 3665
It is happening on both hdmi 1 and 2 outputs. What is weird is that if I shut off the player and turn it back on it will be fine for a minute or two then screw up tv picture. If I switch outputs the same thing it is good for a few minutes then goes and screws up the picture. I also noted that I can not do a split screen In the Darbee mode or a swipe screen. If I try to split the screen it will just bounce the line around the screen and not stop to split the screen. I am thinking I got a bad player and should have just kept my 103. eek.gifmad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread