or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 32

post #931 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

As with all other tech threads, happy owners dont like to be called names when they own what they feel is a great product. So calling them names is not going to gain you many favors.

Making the fanboy comment could easily label you as a "troll".
My apologizes...
post #932 of 3677
yeah, I have decided it's probably worth it to have the option. But 1. pathetic that people go nuts that someone would actually dare think abck and forth and post about issues. I guess some of you think this thread is only here to praise things and that we should all bow down to Oppo and these bugs. If watching a normal blu ray is going to give me CHOPPY AUDIO, then yes that's a big deal. Thus why I asked about it. Who could think choppy audio is ana cceptable bug? And 2. I sold my 93 on here yesterday so I am paying $200 vs. $100, not $600 vs. $500, when you consider how much comes out of my pocket. So it's double the cost and I only planned on doing this switch due to the cheap upgrade and so an extra $100 is annoying to pay, especially since I have also got stuck multiple times on tvs I lost money on, so I am out all kinds of money all due to trying to get a good tv.

That being said, though, I am pretty much to the point of figuring it was a good purchase and will just be happy with it UNLESS it indeed messes up audio on anything I use. Because Oppo has shown in the past they don't fix some of the big bugs.

Anyway, thanks, Bob, and MOST others in here. tongue.gif

As far as that fanboy comment, people get overly touchy, too, though, because one time I OWNED a tv and posted some negatives about it which annoyed me and they insisted I was a troll because I dared find flaws in the tv. lol
post #933 of 3677
Hello everyone, I have what is probably a stupid question but I’m going to ask it anyhow.

I received my 103D about a week ago and set it up using the split A/V settings, HDMI1 to my Kuro panel and HDMI 2 to my Anthem 50V processor. If I am watching blu-ray’s or DVD’s and using Darbee processing everything works as it should. But when I stream Vudu HDX (1080p) I cannot bring up the Darbee menu while watching any Vudu selection. When I leave Vudu and return to the home menu in the 103D the Darbee menu is available again.

Is Darbee processing not possible with Vudu or am I doing something wrong?
post #934 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbob View Post

Hello everyone, I have what is probably a stupid question but I’m going to ask it anyhow.

I received my 103D about a week ago and set it up using the split A/V settings, HDMI1 to my Kuro panel and HDMI 2 to my Anthem 50V processor. If I am watching blu-ray’s or DVD’s and using Darbee processing everything works as it should. But when I stream Vudu HDX (1080p) I cannot bring up the Darbee menu while watching any Vudu selection. When I leave Vudu and return to the home menu in the 103D the Darbee menu is available again.

Is Darbee processing not possible with Vudu or am I doing something wrong?
The DVP is running, but the streaming app interface doesn't permit you access Oppo GUI overlay such as setup or Darbee adjustment. You need to exit as you said to perform adjustments.
post #935 of 3677
Hi, I have a 60" (Pio 6070) plasma which can accept a l080p signal even though it is not a 1080p display; would the Darby 103D benefit this plasma picture on this older type display or am I better off without the Darby fit??
Thanks

Michael
post #936 of 3677
John, thanks for your reply. I suspected the DVP was running as the picture was really good on some of the 2 minute previews that I looked at last night.
post #937 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Some folks are better off if they just move on. wink.gif
What?!? Honest criticism not allowed here? It's a forum...

One of us is confused. confused.gif
post #938 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

yeah, I have decided it's probably worth it to have the option. But 1. pathetic that people go nuts that someone would actually dare think abck and forth and post about issues. I guess some of you think this thread is only here to praise things and that we should all bow down to Oppo and these bugs. If watching a normal blu ray is going to give me CHOPPY AUDIO, then yes that's a big deal. Thus why I asked about it. Who could think choppy audio is ana cceptable bug? And 2. I sold my 93 on here yesterday so I am paying $200 vs. $100, not $600 vs. $500, when you consider how much comes out of my pocket. So it's double the cost and I only planned on doing this switch due to the cheap upgrade and so an extra $100 is annoying to pay, especially since I have also got stuck multiple times on tvs I lost money on, so I am out all kinds of money all due to trying to get a good tv.

That being said, though, I am pretty much to the point of figuring it was a good purchase and will just be happy with it UNLESS it indeed messes up audio on anything I use. Because Oppo has shown in the past they don't fix some of the big bugs.

Anyway, thanks, Bob, and MOST others in here. tongue.gif

As far as that fanboy comment, people get overly touchy, too, though, because one time I OWNED a tv and posted some negatives about it which annoyed me and they insisted I was a troll because I dared find flaws in the tv. lol

fanboys are losers and give a bad name to the good people that like stuff.

its not about that. while i do like oppo alot. they are certainly better then most companies.. I do give them alot of credit for that. for even answering an email much less on a weekend or holiday. those other companies are so big, that they don't care of the player is junk or not. they expect people to buy one each other.. not everyone can do that. yes the oppo does cost a bit. its worth more then the 250 price that the other players do. its true that all players have issues. some get more fixed then others. what I am saying is that is how I felt about the other players where people give high praise and all I saw were problems.

Jacob
post #939 of 3677
This review is from: OPPO BDP-103D Universal 3D Blu-ray Player (Darbee Edition) (Electronics)
I've owned an Oppo 103 but returned it thinking this Darbee model would be better as it was only $100 more. Just like the 103, everything is the same right down to the manual. I have mixed feelings about the "Darblet" in this unit "improving" my picture. I read up on it and know you need to keep its settings low for the most part or you can introduce artifacts. On my VT60 plasma I noticed artifacts even on its lowest settings from 5-25--it goes all the way up to 120 but I never liked it that high. I really was expecting to be blown away by this Darbee chip but honestly it did not impress me. It gave the image more subtle detail that I never felt I missed when I switched it on or off. I also used this on my sony 4K bravia xbr900 and was more impressed with the Sony's 4k scaler versus the Darbee processing which does processing at 1080p and not 4K. In the end, I just want a quieter picture( less noise and artifacts) and the Marvel! chip does a better job in that regard imo. I also noticed motion blur on Iron Man 3 blu ray when I used the Darbee setting on low (5-20) and noise reduction engaged on the 103D. That was the last straw as my VT60 plasma never blurs. Just to confirm I played Iron Man 3 in my ps3 and motion blur was gone. In fact, the blu ray even looked sharper (more pop) than the 103D which was never the case with my 103 which always seemingly outperformed my ps3, especially in sound. I'm not trying to bash Oppo but for me, the 103 is all I will ever need and I find the Marvell chip to be a better solution---and a $100 cheaper than the Darbee model! I could live with this model if it employed both video chips but for me the Darbee felt like a gimmick rather than an improvement from the 103 model. If you have never owned an Oppo, I'm sure you will find enjoyment in the picture quality though with or without Darbee engaged. You be the judge.
post #940 of 3677
^ In fairness, that's one of 4 reviews currently posted on Amazon. The other three are 5-star. Also, at least one of the issues he spotted has already been acknowledged by OPPO as a bug (artifacts even at low Darbee percentage settings) -- evidently not in the Darbee processing itself, but rather in how it is integrated into the video path when Darbee is turned ON -- with a firmware fix in the works.
--Bob
post #941 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ In fairness, that's one of 4 reviews currently posted on Amazon. The other three are 5-star. Also, at least one of the issues he spotted has already been acknowledged by OPPO as a bug (artifacts even at low Darbee percentage settings) -- evidently not in the Darbee processing itself, but rather in how it is integrated into the video path when Darbee is turned ON -- with a firmware fix in the works.
--Bob
Still, this is the kind of critiquing I am looking for; not that "everything will be just fine"...Sorry. My feeling is that Darbee is not for every display.
post #942 of 3677
^ I'm glad you found a review you like!
--Bob
post #943 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

This review is from: OPPO BDP-103D Universal 3D Blu-ray Player (Darbee Edition) (Electronics)
I've owned an Oppo 103 but returned it thinking this Darbee model would be better as it was only $100 more. Just like the 103, everything is the same right down to the manual. I have mixed feelings about the "Darblet" in this unit "improving" my picture.
As I understand the "D" model, it is exactly as advertised. It adds an internal Darbee capability for those who want it. I also understand that the people who are most likely to think that Darbee effects amount to improved picture quality are front projector users and have big screens.

My impression of the reviewer is that either he was misinformed about what to expect, or he didn't do enough investigation before buying the "D" model. Fortunately he can return the OPPO.
post #944 of 3677
^ Presuming you are connecting to a 1080p display, set explicit 1080p output in the 103D. For now, set 1080p/24 Output to OFF and set DVD 24p Conversion to OFF.

If you are still having problems with those discs, describe the problem. Is it that the disc won't load? Or that the disc tries to play but you aren't getting audio and video?

Check that you have the correct firmware installed. Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. The Main firmware version should end 0910. If not, then there should be an update disc included in the box with the player.

If you did the firmware update already, did you do the Recommended Reset on the first power up after that firmware install? If not, go to Setup > Device Setup and do a Reset Factory Defaults now, then power cycle the player.

Once the firmware issue is out of the way, if these discs won't load -- and if they are the appropriate Region for this player -- then give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can help you diagnose this.

If the disc's load but you are not getting audio/video, then check that you have TV System set properly (NTSC for the US and PAL for Europe for example).

If still no luck, set Deep Color OFF and try 480p output, if that works, then try 1080i output. If that works but 1080p output still fails to work then that sounds like a marginal HDMI cable is causing the HDMI handshake to fail.

This stuff is usually easier to sort out on the phone with someone than going back and forth in posts here. So if you don't spot an obvious answer in the above, I suggest you call OPPO Tech Support on Monday and let them walk you through figuring this out.
--Bob
post #945 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post

Sony's S790 player has two HDMI outputs.

I had the Oppo 103 and how have the 103D on a trial basis. I think the standard implementation of the Silicon Image VRS chip is good enough that the Darbee processing is not needed. The Darbee alone and in combination of the VRS processing can produce a lot of detail. The drawback to the production of a lot of detail is that the image in some scenes look over processed. Close up of faces look amazing, but then other scenes look too processed.

I personally have found that I like edge enhancement. The VRS can produce a detailed picture via edge enhancement without noise artifacts. While I have only had the Darbee 103D for a short period of time, I find that the change from the Marvell chip to the VRS solution to be a positive change. In other words, I think the 103 is a good player with the Marvell solution, but a better player with the VRS solution. Of course, my observations are subjective. I find the regular 103's picture to be too soft for my liking and that introducing edge enhancement to the levels I like produce too much noise and altered contrast too much.

Perhaps with more time with the 103D, I can tweak it too where I like it without looking overprocessed. The problem I have is that I also own a 105. I think the 105 does a better job of upscaling DVDs than either the 103 or 103D. I also think the video is better than the 103 or 103D. 99.9% of people will tell you the video of the 103 and 105 are identical. Having both, I can tell you that the 105 produces a better picture. By better picture, I mean a sharper picture and better DVD upscaling. Some people criticize the quest for a sharp image, but the way I look at, the quest for sharpness is similar to going from VHS to DVD to Bluray to UHD. Each format brings the video into sharper focus.





I completely agree with the above statements and have my edge enhancement set to +1 in my set up.

One other thing that has taken me by surprise is how more effective the 1080i and 720p options are in the set up menu compared to the 1080p option when viewing my OTA channels. I just need to manually match the original resolution of the program with the same one from the Oppo. A bit tedious and tiring at times but worth it in my opinion. I see more detail and a slightly better PQ with the first two than when I let the Oppo do the 1080p up converting/scaling instead. I wish the Auto option took care of this but it doesn't for the most part. I'm not sure why that is.
post #946 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I just need to manually match the original resolution of the program with the same one from the Oppo. A bit tedious and tiring at times but worth it in my opinion. I see more detail and a slightly better PQ with the first two than when I let the Oppo do the 1080p up converting/scaling instead. I wish the Auto option took care of this but it doesn't for the most part. I'm not sure why that is.

Curious Chere ; have you tried source direct ; would save any resolution switching and would equate to taking the oppo deinterlacing and scaling off line which you seem to prefer in any case ? Personally I cant see the oppo's de interlacing to 1080p to be lacking [ former 95 owner ] hence the query smile.gif
post #947 of 3677
I'm so glad that Oppo has 3 USB inputs. I guess I must be the only person in the world whom likes the convenience of popping in the SDHC card from my camera and immediately enjoying my shots. Instead, I have to get my camera and/or computer involved.
post #948 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

This review is from: OPPO BDP-103D Universal 3D Blu-ray Player (Darbee Edition) (Electronics)
I've owned an Oppo 103 but returned it thinking this Darbee model would be better as it was only $100 more. Just like the 103, everything is the same right down to the manual. I have mixed feelings about the "Darblet" in this unit "improving" my picture. I read up on it and know you need to keep its settings low for the most part or you can introduce artifacts. On my VT60 plasma I noticed artifacts even on its lowest settings from 5-25--it goes all the way up to 120 but I never liked it that high. I really was expecting to be blown away by this Darbee chip but honestly it did not impress me. It gave the image more subtle detail that I never felt I missed when I switched it on or off. I also used this on my sony 4K bravia xbr900 and was more impressed with the Sony's 4k scaler versus the Darbee processing which does processing at 1080p and not 4K. In the end, I just want a quieter picture( less noise and artifacts) and the Marvel! chip does a better job in that regard imo. I also noticed motion blur on Iron Man 3 blu ray when I used the Darbee setting on low (5-20) and noise reduction engaged on the 103D. That was the last straw as my VT60 plasma never blurs. Just to confirm I played Iron Man 3 in my ps3 and motion blur was gone. In fact, the blu ray even looked sharper (more pop) than the 103D which was never the case with my 103 which always seemingly outperformed my ps3, especially in sound. I'm not trying to bash Oppo but for me, the 103 is all I will ever need and I find the Marvell chip to be a better solution---and a $100 cheaper than the Darbee model! I could live with this model if it employed both video chips but for me the Darbee felt like a gimmick rather than an improvement from the 103 model. If you have never owned an Oppo, I'm sure you will find enjoyment in the picture quality though with or without Darbee engaged. You be the judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ I'm glad you found a review you like!
--Bob
It isn't a matter of liking or disliking the review. It just seems to be a more objective review. Not like: "It's the best thing since sliced bread!!!" That's all.
post #949 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post


It isn't a matter of liking or disliking the review. It just seems to be a more objective review. Not like: "It's the best thing since sliced bread!!!" That's all.
In other words you want Oppo owners to admit something is or maybe wrong with the player instead of saying its perfect in every way. Right?
post #950 of 3677
Sounds like it.
post #951 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

In other words you want Oppo owners to admit something is or maybe wrong with the player instead of saying its perfect in every way. Right?
Wrong! It's not a matter of problems with the player, it's an objective evaluation of the Darbee chip I'm after. Other people's observations...
Edited by audiomixer - 11/3/13 at 9:56am
post #952 of 3677
There's no need to defend your position. You found that review more useful than the other detailed reviews linked earlier in this thread. In context, though, it does seem to be the outlier -- except for reporting on the known bug of course.

In terms of Darbee itself (external to the 103D), there's a whole history of reviews that say it is not display specific except to the extent that people suggest it shows off better the larger your screen. Check out Kris Deering's reports on it, for example.

There are also people who don't like Darbee since ANY processing is a step away from "accurate" rendering. That's a valid opinion, too! Personally, as stated in my first post on this at the top of the thread, I recommend restraint in its use -- limit yourself to lower percentage settings. Even so, I've found some films already where I prefer Darbee Off altogether -- films which look better left "soft".

Fortunately the 103D makes it easy to toggle Darbee Off when you wish.

It's still early days. There will be more reviews to come. The French reviews linked above seem to be the most detailed at the moment.

And of course OPPO still has some bugs to fix.
--Bob
post #953 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Curious Chere ; have you tried source direct ; would save any resolution switching and would equate to taking the oppo deinterlacing and scaling off line which you seem to prefer in any case ? Personally I cant see the oppo's de interlacing to 1080p to be lacking [ former 95 owner ] hence the query smile.gif



Actually the reason I purchased the 103D primarily was for its de-interlacing, scaling and overall video processing capabilities of tv content. My Panasonic 65ST50 is crappy in all these aspects and I've found the 103D to be the solution. I'm just surprised that 1080i and 720p options do a slightly better job than 1080p but the difference is small. PQ is sharper and detail resolution much better. Again this is only to my eyes and maybe others might feel otherwise so please feel free to chime in.


It was mentioned a couple of pages back that "Source Direct'' was broken on the European version of the 103D but I'm not sure if this applies to our version as well. If that's the case it'll probably be fixed with a future firmware update but I wouldn't mess with it all in the mean time.
post #954 of 3677
It seemed this was discussed a couple of weeks back but wanted to check in to see if anybody has confirmed if the external Region Free Mod kit (the one from JVB in particular) for the 103 is working on the 103d? Having issues with the recent firmware and 3D blu-ray video playback on the 93 and looking for an excuse to upgrade to the 103D but the Region Free aspect is the only thing standing in my way. wink.gif
post #955 of 3677
I love how the last couple pages are LOADED with bugs and people needing to disable practically all oft eh features to get things to work, and then people still insisting the ones complaining are just wanting to not like it. After reading how many bugs the 103s have after all this time (the non-darbee part ahs ebenn around for a year), I am starting to wonder if I made a good decision, again. Notice all the people who have said the 103D benefits any tv, yet then people say someone should have "done his homework" to know it only benefits large front projection setups. Tons of audio issues reported, playing some files in 60 fps rather than 24, people told to disable 24p playback. Sounds like a great experience having to get rid of half the features for it wo work right and then "well a bug fix will come out". Repeating that for 100 issues doesn't make the issues suddenly solved. Out of the time I have ahd the 93, I don't remember any issue I noticed actually ever getting "fixed" so assuming they'll ever fix something is a blind assumption.

And remember most people say one of the reasons the oppos are always worth the high price is the processing, yet now there's a post on this page saying the oppo does worse at processing than other sources and if I am understanding properly, the picture will look worse on a 103D than a 103 if darbee is disabled. Starting to really lose my excitement waiting on this and the whole "you can return it".... do I need to repeat again that it costs shipping both ways so then when you go to the regular 103 you've paid so much more that keeping the D is the only real choice you have. So I guess I will now be paying to have a worse picture than my 93....
post #956 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

I love how the last couple pages are LOADED with bugs and people needing to disable practically all oft eh features to get things to work, and then people still insisting the ones complaining are just wanting to not like it. After reading how many bugs the 103s have after all this time (the non-darbee part ahs ebenn around for a year), I am starting to wonder if I made a good decision, again.

I explained to you that you would be no happier with a new player than you were with your old one.

If you have technical questions, ask them and we will try to help, although the best thing for us would be if you read OPPOs web pages, the online manuals, and the FAQs.

If you are just going to gripe, I'll red flag you and ask the moderators to kick you out.

-Bill
post #957 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

I love how the last couple pages are LOADED with bugs and people needing to disable practically all oft eh features to get things to work, and then people still insisting the ones complaining are just wanting to not like it. After reading how many bugs the 103s have after all this time (the non-darbee part ahs ebenn around for a year), I am starting to wonder if I made a good decision, again. Notice all the people who have said the 103D benefits any tv, yet then people say someone should have "done his homework" to know it only benefits large front projection setups. Tons of audio issues reported, playing some files in 60 fps rather than 24, people told to disable 24p playback. Sounds like a great experience having to get rid of half the features for it wo work right and then "well a bug fix will come out". Repeating that for 100 issues doesn't make the issues suddenly solved. Out of the time I have ahd the 93, I don't remember any issue I noticed actually ever getting "fixed" so assuming they'll ever fix something is a blind assumption.

And remember most people say one of the reasons the oppos are always worth the high price is the processing, yet now there's a post on this page saying the oppo does worse at processing than other sources and if I am understanding properly, the picture will look worse on a 103D than a 103 if darbee is disabled. Starting to really lose my excitement waiting on this and the whole "you can return it".... do I need to repeat again that it costs shipping both ways so then when you go to the regular 103 you've paid so much more that keeping the D is the only real choice you have. So I guess I will now be paying to have a worse picture than my 93....

Why don't you wait until you actually get your hands on the thing before coming to a conclusion? It seems to me that you've already made up your mind about it before ever receiving it. You may as well just deny the delivery from Fedex and save yourself the trouble because you're going to walk into this experience with a negative attitude to begin with. I personally am happy with its performance thus far and I have a very good 64" top end plasma. Not a Kuro, but one of the best you can find right now in the market. But whatever, to each his own. Love it, hate it, that's up to you. But the constant handwringing before you even have the thing is a bit much.
post #958 of 3677
Must be the solar eclipse. There's a lot more unwarranted exaggeration and world-class conclusion jumping going on in here than usual! biggrin.gif
--Bob
post #959 of 3677
Got that right.
post #960 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Wrong! It's not a matter of problems with the player, it's an objective evaluation of the Darbee chip I'm after. Other people's observations...
That's why I wrote the words "is" or "maybe". I was being objective...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread