or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 626
From my Amazon review of a ASUS RT-AC68U:

Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Client: Dell XPS 15z notebook upgraded with 802.11ac mini-pci adapter (Intel Network 7260.HMWG), Windows 8.1, Intel 7260 driver from Intel website (19 Sept 2013).

The ASUS RT-AC68U has eliminated all the WiFi dead zones in my house (3 floors, 3600sf). I'm getting downloads around 100mbps in most rooms although sometimes as low as 6mbps at the edges. Within 10 feet of the router, I'm getting downloads around 280mbps. Wired Ethernet speeds are around 400mbps wired.

With a SSD attached to the USB 2.0 port of the router, I get file transfer speeds of 200mbps using USB 2.0.
With USB 3.0, I get around 280mbps speeds, and 400mbps wired. I had to disabled "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" to get USB 3.0 working.

I'm not sure if I really see the extra speed of USB 3.0 as throughput easily dips below USB 2.0 max speed when 10+ feet from router.

FWIW, I notice that the Intel Network 7260.HMWG seems to give me 25% better battery life than the OEM mini-pic WiFi adapter. YMMV.
post #32 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam123us View Post

After some trial and error, I have managed to use time machine with a usb drive connected to the router.

My issues were caused by partition size too big - if you have a drive bigger than 2tb, make sure that each partition is 2tb or less.

Sam123us What did you do? I have a 2TB WD USB 2.0 drive and can't figure it out. Followed the directions and already have my backups on the drive but it continues to ask for a username/password for the "r7000" yet the router login does not work...
post #33 of 626
I bought R7000. Unfortunately, I can't get internet connection. I called netgear support and they told me to try few things and told me that it will not work with my verizon fios. They said to buy routers that start with some number which includes modem.

I have direct ethernet port which I connect with belkin n+ router and works fine. I don't have clue on why modem should be included.

My neighbor also bought same router and it is working for him. I thought mine could be defective. However, I just tried with his router and I have same problem that Internet light is orange.

Only difference is I have verizon fios 50mbs. He has lower speed verizon fios and I think it is at 15mbs.

Not sure if Asus works for me. I did use multiple routers and never had this problem.
post #34 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I bought R7000. Unfortunately, I can't get internet connection. I called netgear support and they told me to try few things and told me that it will not work with my verizon fios. They said to buy routers that start with some number which includes modem.

I have direct ethernet port which I connect with belkin n+ router and works fine. I don't have clue on why modem should be included.

My neighbor also bought same router and it is working for him. I thought mine could be defective. However, I just tried with his router and I have same problem that Internet light is orange.

Only difference is I have verizon fios 50mbs. He has lower speed verizon fios and I think it is at 15mbs.

Not sure if Asus works for me. I did use multiple routers and never had this problem.

I am surprised by this. I wonder is there something vastly different with the 50mbs Fios modem then the 15mbs.

I copied the Product Manager on this post. I report back with his comments.

Have you called Verizion? Do they require superficial routers be used ?

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.
post #35 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

I am surprised by this. I wonder is there something vastly different with the 50mbs Fios modem then the 15mbs.

I copied the Product Manager on this post. I report back with his comments.

Have you called Verizion? Do they require superficial routers be used ?

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.

Thanks Bob for quick reply. I called Verizon and they are reluctant to do any testing other than use verizon routers. I called Netgear support and they tried to help me for long time, but could not figure out.

Verizon asked me try with their router. I am customer with them for 10 years and can't recollect if they gave one. They are sending their router. I can try using it as just ethernet point without wifi and connnect Netgrear to it. Not sure if it affects performance. I will also wait for response from the product manager for any suggestions. Yesterday Netgear support person told me to use router that starts with BG(I think) that have some modem. Not sure the meaning of it. Right now I am using Belkin n+ router though I don't like reliability and speed.

Appreciate all your help.
post #36 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Thanks Bob for quick reply. I called Verizon and they are reluctant to do any testing other than use verizon routers. I called Netgear support and they tried to help me for long time, but could not figure out.

Verizon asked me try with their router. I am customer with them for 10 years and can't recollect if they gave one. They are sending their router. I can try using it as just ethernet point without wifi and connnect Netgrear to it. Not sure if it affects performance. I will also wait for response from the product manager for any suggestions. Yesterday Netgear support person told me to use router that starts with BG(I think) that have some modem. Not sure the meaning of it. Right now I am using Belkin n+ router though I don't like reliability and speed.

Appreciate all your help.

Just got a response from the PM. He states "This is wrong. The R7000 works with 50mbs FIOS. He needs to connect the router to the dips gateway or modem".

Please contact me directly with your contact information. The Product Manager will have someone contact you ASAP to set this up.

Bob Silver
post #37 of 626

Ya FIOS its best to use their router as the passthru cuz they put a load of the workload for their phone and TV stuff between the ONT and their router. I used the WNDR4500 as the primary router and WIFI with the Verizon router passing traffic thru. Its the simplest way to get things up and running fine plus Verizon supports u a lot easier that way. Id try contacting support again but ask to get bumped to the next tier support. those folks are more educated on these scenarios.

post #38 of 626

I just got this and hooked it up without a hitch but it won't recognize my new 4tb WD Hard drive?  I hooked my passport ultra and it makes the router reboot and doesn't power my Hdd up for but a few sec.  My 32g cruzer jump drive works just fine.  What can i do to make my 4 tb work like my 32g cruzer.....

post #39 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick06 View Post

I just got this and hooked it up without a hitch but it won't recognize my new 4tb WD Hard drive?  I hooked my passport ultra and it makes the router reboot and doesn't power my Hdd up for but a few sec.  My 32g cruzer jump drive works just fine.  What can i do to make my 4 tb work like my 32g cruzer.....

If you PM me your contact info I will have someone from support contact you. The drive should work with the R7000.

Bob Silver
Netgear Consultant.
post #40 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick06 View Post

I just got this and hooked it up without a hitch but it won't recognize my new 4tb WD Hard drive?  I hooked my passport ultra and it makes the router reboot and doesn't power my Hdd up for but a few sec.  My 32g cruzer jump drive works just fine.  What can i do to make my 4 tb work like my 32g cruzer.....

Here is feedback from Netgear Engineering regarding your issue. Note some of their questions. If you still have issues let me know the answers and I will relay them to engineering.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant


__________________________________________________________

Model: WDBACW0040HBK-H1

Capacity: 4TB

Partition #:1

File system: NTFS



The results were good without problems. I tested R7000’s front (3.0) and back (2.0) USB ports and both could recognize the HDD and I could access the content successfully.



We will need the following info from the customer:

(*) Did he try both R7000’s USB ports? When the HDD was plugged in, did the USB LEDs on the R7000 light on?

(*) The model of the WD 4TB HDD

(*) Partition number and the corresponding file system of each partition
post #41 of 626
so, i just ordered this wifi AP to replace some older linksys (wrt120n and wap54g). i cant seem to find this info, but for me, i bridge wifi to my LAN and do not use the WAN port of AP. i see this AP has built-in LAN switch. is it possible to assign SSID's to specific AP switch ports so that i can get benefit of increasing bandwidth to/from WiFi to my LAN switch? so instead of having just one 1Gb cable to my LAN switch i can have perhaps two or three cables thus increasing bandwidth and reducing latency? does this AP support .1q with link aggregation (802.3ad in either LACP or just plain etherchannel)?

has anyone upgraded firmware, and if so any issues with the upgrade? did you roll-back, etc?


18Nov update. the R7000 comes with basic +2dbi antenna. to get better signal i ordered a set (3) of dual-band +9dbi antenna (super power supply brand from major online retailer for only $19). when i receive them i will use my mobile wifi app to map out any changes, and then post back.

i did some testing with new antenna's. in 2.4GHz band i see approx +10dbm on signal strength (-50 to -40). in 5GHz band approx +5dbm (-60 to -55). a good addition for cheap, etc.
Edited by Denon_Kid - 11/20/13 at 1:06pm
post #42 of 626
Denon kid, I've been looking for this info - thanks much.

For some reason, I'm getting less range from the r7000 I just bought than from my r6300. Same location, same everything. Latest firmware for the r7000.

I thought I remembered the r6300 having a software setting to increase power, but I don't see that for the r7000. I will try upgrading the antennas. Do you think upgrading only one would help, or do I need all three (not excited about dumping an additional $60+ for a $200 machine).

Do you think using extension cords for the current antenna (would allow higher placement of the current antennae) would help? Come to think of it, I might have two extension wires for Wifi antennas - I will try those and report back.

Add: I see now the 3 antennae are 20 dollars for three. I pulled the trigger and bought them. Many thanks.
Edited by Dr. X - 11/27/13 at 6:02am
post #43 of 626
Bob,
Any update on the iTunes functionality?
post #44 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Bob,
Any update on the iTunes functionality?

iTunes server is now in the current release. I have not tried it yet but will this weekend and will report back.

Bob Silver
post #45 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

Denon kid, I've been looking for this info - thanks much.

For some reason, I'm getting less range from the r7000 I just bought than from my r6300. Same location, same everything. Latest firmware for the r7000.

I thought I remembered the r6300 having a software setting to increase power, but I don't see that for the r7000. I will try upgrading the antennas. Do you think upgrading only one would help, or do I need all three (not excited about dumping an additional $60+ for a $200 machine).

Do you think using extension cords for the current antenna (would allow higher placement of the current antennae) would help? Come to think of it, I might have two extension wires for Wifi antennas - I will try those and report back.

Add: I see now the 3 antennae are 20 dollars for three. I pulled the trigger and bought them. Many thanks.

Dr X

The r7000 should definitely have better range then the r6300 as confirmed to me by Netgears product team. If you like send me a pm with your contact info and I will have a Netgear engineer reach out to you.

Regarding the antennas you must upgrade all 3 antennas. Changing only one will cause problems.

Bob Silver
post #46 of 626
I installed my R7000 a week ago and am happy to report a dramatic increase in signal strength throughout my home. It replaced a Linksys WRT160N. I don't have any AC devices (yet) so I can't report on that. WiFi streaming of Amazon video on my Sony Blu-ray player shows the speed increased from around 10Mbps to 15Mbps. Nice!

I'm completely baffled by the iTunes setup however! The instructions to enable iTunes and enter the Remote 4 digit key worked just fine. My phone remote program sees the R7000 library and connects just fine. BUT, where is the music?? I have my iTunes library on the attached USB drive (4TB Seagate on USB 3.0 port). The files are there by using the Netgear Vault backup. Is there some particular folder where the music needs to be? Nothing is mentioned anywhere in the documentation about this. I just assumed that the iTunes server would scan the drive for music. I've seen nothing on the web about this either. Hopefully AVS is the place to get some answers.

Also a mystery is why so many picture directories (like \users\bill\pictures !?!?) and files are missing from the DLNA service. I have seen where that is a VERY common problem with the Netgear systems. The Refresh does nothing, nor does it even hint at doing anything.
post #47 of 626
OK, I need to report that I had simply not waited long enough for the R7000 to scan the external drive for music and build the music database. So, the next day I had songs showing up. Good -- sort of.

Next problem was that no Albums, Artists or Playlists showed up. When I click the tab, I get the spinning icon that never stops.

Today I decided to see if there was a firmware update, and there was, so I updated to V1.0.2.164_1.0.15. Hey, now Albums and Artists are starting to appear. I'll be more patient this time and let them build.

But, the biggest issue is that I've not yet been able to actually PLAY any music! From both my Android and iPad iTunes remotes I can tap a song and it shows that it's playing, but I can't hear anything!? Can't get any sound from the local phone or iPad, or from any AirPlay device. Everything works fine on both remotes accessing my computer's iTunes library.

Sigh....I guess it's a work in progress. But, it's the main reason I bought this router over the Apple AirPort Extreme, so I'm not particularly happy.
post #48 of 626
Can anyone post any real-world objective measurements (maybe screen shots?) of performance enhancements that they've realized by going with this router?  I've read through this (thankfully short) thread trying to see what kind of speed increases people are realizing, but I'm still not 100% confident this will be a notable upgrade. 

I have FIOS 50mbps service with the Verizon provided router and, if I recall correctly, my current  speeds top out at 12down/10up.

I did find this review helpful, so thanks for that Bob.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2050761/netgear-nighthawk-review-this-802-11ac-router-sets-lan-speed-records.html

However, I just want to know if the R7000 will help me take full advantage of the service that I am paying for. 

FIOS has been advertizing this $99 router upgrade, but I'd rather go this "route" if I could get a warm-and-fuzzy about it.
post #49 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Can anyone post any real-world objective measurements (maybe screen shots?) of performance enhancements that they've realized by going with this router?  I've read through this (thankfully short) thread trying to see what kind of speed increases people are realizing, but I'm still not 100% confident this will be a notable upgrade. 

I have FIOS 50mbps service with the Verizon provided router and, if I recall correctly, my current  speeds top out at 12down/10up.

I did find this review helpful, so thanks for that Bob.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2050761/netgear-nighthawk-review-this-802-11ac-router-sets-lan-speed-records.html

However, I just want to know if the R7000 will help me take full advantage of the service that I am paying for. 

FIOS has been advertizing this $99 router upgrade, but I'd rather go this "route" if I could get a warm-and-fuzzy about it.


The reality is that most routers will fully realize your internet bandwidth speeds. Even N based routers with single radio clients could hit the 50mbs. With 3 radio clients that easily tops 150mbs-450mbs (max spec speed). So the question about the R7000 should have more to do with its enhanced range, ability to navigate crowded RF spectrum's, advanced features like Netgear's Vault backup utility, iTunes server and excellent performance to mobile clients.

The R7000 is a router that offers an extremely high level of performance and features. It also represents the very best in current and future technologies. It is a router that will last you a very long time as there really isnt anything on the horizon that would supersede it. I dont believe you will have any regrets choosing the R7000.

Bob Silver
post #50 of 626
Bob, any update on the iTunes integration?
post #51 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Bob, any update on the iTunes integration?

Itunes is fully integrated in the system now. There is one user who already posted some comments about it. I have personally not set it up yet. Travel plans have kept me behind but hope to do it this weekend and Ill report back.

The only items not yet fully implemented in the firmware are Airtime Fairness, Smart Connect and Implicit Beamforming.

Bob Silver
post #52 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Itunes is fully integrated in the system now. There is one user who already posted some comments about it. I have personally not set it up yet. Travel plans have kept me behind but hope to do it this weekend and Ill report back.

The only items not yet fully implemented in the firmware are Airtime Fairness, Smart Connect and Implicit Beamforming.

Bob Silver
Thanks Bob, look forward to your eval.
post #53 of 626
Bob, not sure if you can help me, but I have the netgear AC1900 model R7000. I love it, but I get an orange light every now and then and nothing I have can connect to the router till I turn it off then back on. This is very annoying as it happens every few weeks. Any ideas?
post #54 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasih View Post

Bob, not sure if you can help me, but I have the netgear AC1900 model R7000. I love it, but I get an orange light every now and then and nothing I have can connect to the router till I turn it off then back on. This is very annoying as it happens every few weeks. Any ideas?

What function is the light orange on? I have never seen an orange light on mine. I am wondering if it is losing its connection with your internet modem. But again knowing what light function it represents will help.

When you say nothing can connect to the router till you reboot do you mean the internet?

Bob
post #55 of 626
I recently picked up a pair of these routers for my house and testing. Previous routers were the R6300 V2 models. I am going to do an in depth comparison shortly. Out of the box, there are some slight performance advantages over the R6300. I have not had some of the 5.0ghz drop out issues like others that have been posted on the netgear forums.

I got these at a heavily discounted rate (under $140 each) which is probably one of the biggest reasons I will hold on them and sell my two R6300 v2. At this stage there, isnt enough of a performance boost if your spending $199 for each router in my case.
post #56 of 626
Oddly enough, the light that goes orange is the connected internet line to my desktop, but all my devices get connection errors. I can see the wifi signal, both regular and 5ghz, but I can't connect.
post #57 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasih View Post

Oddly enough, the light that goes orange is the connected internet line to my desktop, but all my devices get connection errors. I can see the wifi signal, both regular and 5ghz, but I can't connect.

What is the connection error that you get? Can you connect from a wired computer? Also try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 Sometimes when the router pulls this info from your ISP it may be corrupted. The DNS I gave you is a universal DNS that I know works.

Bob
post #58 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post

I recently picked up a pair of these routers for my house and testing. Previous routers were the R6300 V2 models. I am going to do an in depth comparison shortly. Out of the box, there are some slight performance advantages over the R6300. I have not had some of the 5.0ghz drop out issues like others that have been posted on the netgear forums.

I got these at a heavily discounted rate (under $140 each) which is probably one of the biggest reasons I will hold on them and sell my two R6300 v2. At this stage there, isnt enough of a performance boost if your spending $199 for each router in my case.

Be great to hear your feedback. Can I assume you are using the second R7000 as a wired access point?

Bob
post #59 of 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

What is the connection error that you get? Can you connect from a wired computer? Also try setting the DNS to 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 Sometimes when the router pulls this info from your ISP it may be corrupted. The DNS I gave you is a universal DNS that I know works.

Bob

How do I go about doing that. Do I login through my computer and select use thse DNS servers and enter what you gave me as the primary?

I already reset my router, but I don't think I can connect from a wired computer either, but I'm not a 100% sure because I have always reset it in the past when it happens.
post #60 of 626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasih View Post

How do I go about doing that. Do I login through my computer and select use thse DNS servers and enter what you gave me as the primary?

I already reset my router, but I don't think I can connect from a wired computer either, but I'm not a 100% sure because I have always reset it in the past when it happens.

OK you need to go into the internet settings area of the router. It normally selects for get automatically from server. You will see it. There is a dedicated box for DNS.

When you lose connection try the wired computer. At least we will begin narrowing down the issue. Also when this occurs can you see other devices on your network? Like other computers, servers etc? What ISP do you use? How old is the modem that came from the ISP? How long have you been using the R7000?

These problems are tough to sort out. As a rule connecting a router to modem and a reboot is usually all you need to do. Unless there is a funky hardware issue or funky setting. But basic internet access is usually no issue.

I am getting on a plane shortly so I wont be able to get back to you till tomorrow. Dont hesitate to call Netgear support or your ISP support for help to.

Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Router Review and Comments Thread