or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 ) - Page 18

post #511 of 540
A dealer local to me says LG's 65" and 77" UHD OLED TVs will be available in August.
post #512 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnura View Post

A dealer local to me says LG's 65" and 77" UHD OLED TVs will be available in August.

I believe that, they already announced Q2 for the 77", MSRP of $29,999...expect the 65" to be over $10,000 for sure...I'll wait a couple of years to get it and maybe buy a boat with the savings instead smile.gif
post #513 of 540

I will get my 65LA9700 tomorrow and I saw the viewing angle (installation height on the wall) is kind of important. Is there a recommended height from ground for best viewing result?

 

Thanks

James

post #514 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy6666 View Post

I will get my 65LA9700 tomorrow and I saw the viewing angle (installation height on the wall) is kind of important. Is there a recommended height from ground for best viewing result?

The best height should be eye level for the middle of the screen, now sometimes that's not possible due to people's configurations etc, in that case make sure you get a tilting mount so you can title the screen downward so you are again looking at it at eye level perpendicular to the center of the screen. And yes, for this TV especially the height is very important, vertical off angle viewing is not great and 3D just plain doesn't work if you are off vertically.

Welcome to the forums and hope you enjoy the new set!
post #515 of 540
Can anyone please be kind enough to make a tutorial for noobs on going about converting/downloading/playing videos that will play on this mytery of a television. I have the Indian version with HVEC on the box, but NONE of the 4K videos I try playing play on it. No matter what size what codec anything! Not even a H.265 1080p video!
Please help!
post #516 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Can anyone please be kind enough to make a tutorial for noobs on going about converting/downloading/playing videos that will play on this mytery of a television. I have the Indian version with HVEC on the box, but NONE of the 4K videos I try playing play on it. No matter what size what codec anything! Not even a H.265 1080p video!
Please help!

I could not get any H.265/HEVC videos to play either, if you do let us know, especially since you have the Indian version which advertises HEVC all over it. To get an H.264 4K video to play, try this:

1) Download 4K Video Downloader (http://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader)
2) Install and run the app
3) Copy this URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0FpxQ4Ink
4) Click Paste URL in 4k Video Downloader app
5) You will see a window with various selection, make sure "Original Quality 4K" is selected
6) Pick a folder to download to and click Download
7) Put the downloaded file on a USB stick and plug it into the TV and play it.

That should work, once you get that working maybe try some of these HEVC videos:

http://www.elecard.com/en/download/videos.html

Let us know how it goes...
post #517 of 540
Thanks so much TallCoolOne. You really are the soul of this thread.

Actually i have tried that method. It works but the level of compression takes a lot of magic away. I wanted to try playing/encoding videos of a higher bit/frame rate. But i guess there are limitations.

As far as HVEC is concerned. As you mentioned earlier i had tried a 1020P sample from that site. Didnt work. Nor did the tears of steel video. So i guess false advertising on the part of lg india. Lots of work still to be done on this set.

One a different note, i am experiencing some clouding on 4 corners of the set. I have a 55inch version. Is this normal for an lg flad? Because this wasnt present on my sony hx925.
post #518 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post

Thanks so much TallCoolOne. You really are the soul of this thread.

Actually i have tried that method. It works but the level of compression takes a lot of magic away. I wanted to try playing/encoding videos of a higher bit/frame rate. But i guess there are limitations.

As far as HVEC is concerned. As you mentioned earlier i had tried a 1020P sample from that site. Didnt work. Nor did the tears of steel video. So i guess false advertising on the part of lg india. Lots of work still to be done on this set.

One a different note, i am experiencing some clouding on 4 corners of the set. I have a 55inch version. Is this normal for an lg flad? Because this wasnt present on my sony hx925.

The manual lists this for bitrate limits:

3840 x 2160 (H.264 L5.1) : 50Mbps (megabits per second)
3840 x 2160 (HEVC L5.0) : 25Mbps (megabits per second)

50Mbps should be pretty good if it can do that, I haven't tried anything that high...I can try it later.

As for the clouding, no i don't see that on my 55" but did on the bottom right when I initially got it...I was able to pretty much eliminate it after calibration though.
post #519 of 540
EXPERT PATTERNS.

The 9700 and 9650 have an Expert Patterns item in the Expert Control menu. It is unavailable (grayed out) in all picture modes for HDMI, USB and streaming media play. However I found it is available with the TV input. It includes two common patterns 1) brightness and contrast 2) color and tint. AFAIK, there is no way to turn it on with the other inputs.
post #520 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

EXPERT PATTERNS.

The 9700 and 9650 have an Expert Patterns item in the Expert Control menu. It is unavailable (grayed out) in all picture modes for HDMI, USB and streaming media play. However I found it is available with the TV input. It includes two common patterns 1) brightness and contrast 2) color and tint. AFAIK, there is no way to turn it on with the other inputs.

Ah I could have sworn I saw those patterns before when I first got the TV, and then could never get them to enable again...must have been because it was in TV input mode when I just got it...yup mine only enables in TV input mode also...probably a bug in their software, makes no sense to only have it there...either way not high on my priority list since the calibration discs work great for this kinda thing.
post #521 of 540
Any news on the 2014 upgrade path for 2013 9700 and 9650 sets?
post #522 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Any news on the 2014 upgrade path for 2013 9700 and 9650 sets?
Guess not. Too bad. I've got color on my 9650 tuned a lot better and this is really the only remaining issue.
post #523 of 540
Yeah nobody has heard anything...LG has been very quiet...Sony and Samsung have made official announcements...
post #524 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Yeah nobody has heard anything...LG has been very quiet...Sony and Samsung have made official announcements...
So, is everybody OK if there is no upgrade path? Is there any external HEVC with HDCP2.2 device available that would allow Netflix 4K streaming to the 9700 or 9650 over HDMI 1.4 over via network connection? I see the Nuvola but it is not available. https://www.nuvola4k.com/

I don't suppose there would be any external way to remedy lack of HDMI 2.0, not that there is any use for it.
Edited by Bill Ball - Yesterday at 8:30 am
post #525 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

So, is everybody OK if there is no upgrade path? Is there any external HEVC with HDCP2.2 device available that would allow Netflix 4K streaming to the 9700 or 9650 over HDMI 1.4 over via network connection? I see the Nuvola but it is not available. https://www.nuvola4k.com/

I don't suppose there would be any external way to remedy lack of HDMI 2.0, not that there is any use for it.

I guess I am still hoping there will be an upgrade path eventually, but am not too concerned. There is no current device that will do what you're saying since Netflix 4K is only available on 2014 Samsung TVs right now, but I'm sure there will be such devices coming out in the near future. The concern there is HDCP 2.2, our TVs are stuck at 1.4 currently, so we may have an issue there...but I have not seen anything definitive saying Netflix will use HDCP 2.2, that's sheer speculation at this point. I'd bet that the new 4K Bluray format almost certainly will though.

The only possible remedy for HDMI 2.0 without help from LG would be something that accepted HDMI 2.0 and converted to an HDMI 1.4 output, perhaps something from DVDO or companies like them that produce dedicated video processors where you can specify the exact output and it can convert from 60fps to 30fps...still there wouldn't be too much point since you would be converting down to 30Hz anyway which defeats the purpose to having HDMI 2.0 in the first place. Aside from gaming, I don't think we will see any 4k 60Hz content for a long time though (other than clips like those on YouTube)...the most obvious use would be for sports broadcasts which would be amazing to see, but considering I still have to suffer with SD or 720p for almost all the hockey games I watch I'm not holding my breath for 4K anytime soon.
post #526 of 540
TallCoolOne: Thanks for your perspective. You're the highlight of the 9700 thread.
post #527 of 540
I've been following this thread for a good few months now ever since I got my 55inch. Waiting with baited breathe for 4k content. Now convinced Frank's suit in house of cards looks shaper then usual recently, today I have spoken to someone upstairs in Netflix who tell me 4k is on the way but only avaliable to Samsung right now. This being due to the app not being ready yet. But it should be soon. I'm not sure of YouTube actually shows 4k videos in 4k or not. I also noticed up till Good Friday last week the 84LM9600V had the same version firmware as our TV's which it now has 04.59.02. The last firmware on mine .58 I had to upgrade manually through USB as .55 didn't see any newer upgrade. I had problems with the set which seem to have mostly gone like trumotion being on when I didn't want it on or apps crashing. Anyway hope this helps
Edited by WhiskeyOmega - Yesterday at 3:25 pm
post #528 of 540
Have also been following this thread for a while.

It is interesting to note, the US web page lists this TV as being planned for an upgrade (current as of today):-

4K Future Compatible

LG 4K TVs meet the current UHD standards by including support for native UHD content and are the only sets currently on the market to include a high efficiency video codec (HEVC) also known as H.265 for streaming UHD content via the Smart TV interface. As new sources of content become available in the future, some may require next generation interfaces and LG is planning to make an upgrade available later in the year which will support the latest versions of HDMI and HEVC.*

*May require a separate purchase and installation. Contact LG Customer Service with any questions regarding the LG 4K upgrade.



http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LA9700-led-tv


So they are still advertising these TV's on the premise that they WILL be upgradeable.


i.e. if not delivered it will clearly be false advertising (and grounds for exchange to the new model that does support the newer standard as promised) biggrin.gif.



Very happy with the TV so hope they do follow through.
post #529 of 540
Wow. This is news to me, but really good news. I cant wait to get HDMI 2.0 and permanently change my media PC resolution to UHD.cool.gif HEVC is also a great bonus for on-line streaming. I hope the upgrade cost, if any, is reasonable.
post #530 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinator View Post

Have also been following this thread for a while.

It is interesting to note, the US web page lists this TV as being planned for an upgrade (current as of today):-

4K Future Compatible

LG 4K TVs meet the current UHD standards by including support for native UHD content and are the only sets currently on the market to include a high efficiency video codec (HEVC) also known as H.265 for streaming UHD content via the Smart TV interface. As new sources of content become available in the future, some may require next generation interfaces and LG is planning to make an upgrade available later in the year which will support the latest versions of HDMI and HEVC.*

*May require a separate purchase and installation. Contact LG Customer Service with any questions regarding the LG 4K upgrade.



http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LA9700-led-tv


So they are still advertising these TV's on the premise that they WILL be upgradeable.


i.e. if not delivered it will clearly be false advertising (and grounds for exchange to the new model that does support the newer standard as promised) biggrin.gif.



Very happy with the TV so hope they do follow through.


this is nothing but misleading,this a specific model page,either you have a SW/upgrade or not.

may and may not is a result of a lack of knowledge or intentional misleading.
post #531 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

this is nothing but misleading,this a specific model page,either you have a SW/upgrade or not.

may and may not is a result of a lack of knowledge or intentional misleading.
I don't see it that way. It's also on the 9650 page and it refers to all UHD models. There is support for HEVC as shipped according to the owner's manual, but only in USB.
Edited by Bill Ball - Today at 11:05 am
post #532 of 540
What is the latest software version available for the 55LA9700? I have 5.04.14.
post #533 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

I don't see it that way. It's also on the 9650 page and it refers to all UHD models. There is support for HEVC as shipped according to teh owner's manual, but only in USB.

LG should know the capability of it's sets,and whether they require a hardware upgrade or sw update,therefore,they should be specific about that,whether it's the 9700 or the 9650.
there shouldn't any puzzle thing of may or may not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmat2011 View Post

What is the latest software version available for the 55LA9700? I have 5.04.14.
this one is old,try updating through the menu.
post #534 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

LG should know the capability of it's sets,and whether they require a hardware upgrade or sw update,therefore,they should be specific about that,whether it's the 9700 or the 9650.
there shouldn't any puzzle thing of may or may not.
this one is old,try updating through the menu.
I have tried multiple times but my tv doesn't find anything? The one on the LG website it's the latest one?
post #535 of 540
^^^
sorry,it's the latest one,I checked mine,so it's the latest.
post #536 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

^^^
sorry,it's the latest one,I checked mine,so it's the latest.
5.04.14 latest one?
post #537 of 540
I don't see their message as misleading at all, and I for one am happy they made an official announcement on their website rather than untrusted quotes from their tech support etc. Their added info on the product page about HEVC is also very telling, note that it says:

"...are the only sets currently on the market to include a high efficiency video codec (HEVC) also known as H.265 for streaming UHD content via the Smart TV interface"

This to me says the included HEVC hardware is specifically for streaming via the Smart TV interface, not for USB despite the manual's vague suggestion as to such. I think this suggests we will get Netflix 4K support with just a firmware update at some point.

The other part about "may require" is simply them saying some new sources for 4K content (e.g. Bluray 4K, satellite/cable in 4K, etc) will require next gen interfaces (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2) and they will make a hardware upgrade and that they *may* charge for it...sounds like they haven't decided if they will charge or not, but since they are preparing us for the possibility of charging I think they will.

It also mentions "to make an upgrade available later in the year which will support the latest versions of HDMI and HEVC"...this is interesting, I guess there may be newer versions of the HEVC codec and since this set has a very early version it may not work with the latest HEVC coded content, in which case a hardware upgrade for that may be necessary too. Perhaps that is why none of the HEVC files we have tried worked at this point through USB, who knows...

Anyway, overall I think this is very good news to see them put that on their product page, it holds them more liable to follow through.
post #538 of 540
I'm with TallCoolOne. Yes, it would be ideal if they would have a precise upgrade process announcement with a definite launch date, like Samsung. I'm not against harassing them a bit for a better answer. I sent an inquiry to tech support and to the VP of marketing communications. No answer. I think with more of a letter writing campaign we could get the gears to turn. If we stay passively quiet they could ignore the issue. If it's already in engineering, there's not much we can do but wait. After some work, I've come to think my 9650 is a good 4K device (overlooking some clouding and backlight banding that is not bad for an edge lit TV). I got it so cheap, I'd like to keep it. So, this is my only concern. If LG honors the clear marketing claim that we will not be left behind, I would keep the TV.
post #539 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

I'm with TallCoolOne. Yes, it would be ideal if they would have a precise upgrade process announcement with a definite launch date, like Samsung. I'm not against harassing them a bit for a better answer. I sent an inquiry to tech support and to the VP of marketing communications. No answer. I think with more of a letter writing campaign we could get the gears to turn. If we stay passively quiet they could ignore the issue. If it's already in engineering, there's not much we can do but wait. After some work, I've come to think my 9650 is a good 4K device (overlooking some clouding and backlight banding that is not bad for an edge lit TV). I got it so cheap, I'd like to keep it. So, this is my only concern. If LG honors the clear marketing claim that we will not be left behind, I would keep the TV.

That was my general take on it too, but I think I have no choice at this point since I'm way past the return policy period...but regardless, I am satisfied enough with their response. When there is actual content out there (besides House of Cards on Netflix) that we are missing out on then I will want more definitive solutions and will harass them about it, but at this point why push for something hard where there is no use to it yet? They have promised to deliver something to allow us to watch future 4K content when it becomes available, that satisfies me for now.
post #540 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmat2011 View Post

5.04.14 latest one?
yes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 )