or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Confused Newbie- Help Me Understand What's Possible
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Confused Newbie- Help Me Understand What's Possible

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Wiring new home for distributed AV. Everything originating from central rack. Want to copy our DVD/BD collection to a server so someone upstairs doesn't have to go downstairs to install disk into a machine each time they want to watch a movie.

I understand the basic process of ripping and compressing. My confusion is with the playback. Seems like Cinavia defeats the whole purpose of what I'm trying to do. But, as I see so many of you being successful, I conclude I must not completely understand the situation. Questions...

1) When you say "player", exactly what exactly are you referencing? Hardware, software, or both? I sense that by "player" you really are referring to a software program that is reading the movie file off a storage device. Some "players" may actually contain their own hard drive as a matter of convenience but the real essence of a player is the software?

2) What's the difference between a "player" and a HTPC? To me, seems like they are basically the same thing and that Cinavia issues are just as real for a HTPC.

3) I do not understand the distinction between BD Full and BD LIte menus and how these relate to applications like Yadis?

I'm a reasonably intelligent person but for the life of me I can't seem to get my mind around all this. Any mentoring would be appreciated. TIA!
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 View Post

Wiring new home for distributed AV. Everything originating from central rack. Want to copy our DVD/BD collection to a server so someone upstairs doesn't have to go downstairs to install disk into a machine each time they want to watch a movie.

I understand the basic process of ripping and compressing. My confusion is with the playback. Seems like Cinavia defeats the whole purpose of what I'm trying to do. But, as I see so many of you being successful, I conclude I must not completely understand the situation. Questions...

1) When you say "player", exactly what exactly are you referencing? Hardware, software, or both? I sense that by "player" you really are referring to a software program that is reading the movie file off a storage device. Some "players" may actually contain their own hard drive as a matter of convenience but the real essence of a player is the software?

2) What's the difference between a "player" and a HTPC? To me, seems like they are basically the same thing and that Cinavia issues are just as real for a HTPC.

3) I do not understand the distinction between BD Full and BD LIte menus and how these relate to applications like Yadis?

I'm a reasonably intelligent person but for the life of me I can't seem to get my mind around all this. Any mentoring would be appreciated. TIA!

Cinavia really only affects you when using a "Blu-Ray" type device for your streaming needs. When the word/phrase "player" is mentioned, we're referring to streaming clients such as a Roku, Google TV device, SmartTV or some other streaming device. It's a combo of both hardware/software. A HTPC in most cases offers much more functionality than a standalone streamer/client/player. I don't use Yadis, so I can't elaborate on the differences between BD Full/Lite.

At a basic level, I'm doing pretty much what you want to do....video files are stored on my NAS and I have various client devices around the house. Cinavia is really only an issue when attempting to stream to my PS3s or BluRay player; those same movies work fine on my Samsung SmartTV, Roku's, and Google Tv's in the house. I'm using Plex (plexapp.com) as my server and then the various client devices throughout the house. The majority of my files are in .mp4 format of varying resolutions.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post


At a basic level, I'm doing pretty much what you want to do....video files are stored on my NAS and I have various client devices around the house. Cinavia is really only an issue when attempting to stream to my PS3s or BluRay player; those same movies work fine on my Samsung SmartTV, Roku's, and Google Tv's in the house.

By "client devices" you mean TVs, right?

If you have the movie saved on your network, why would you need to send it to a BluRay player? Again, my concept of "Player" is something that reads a disk and plays it on my TV. Do I still need the player to "translate" the digital file into something that can be displayed on my TV? Is the network hard drive just a fancy substitute for the disk reader in the player?

Again, please excuse my ignorance. I'm easily 3 years behind the curve.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Just found this thread. I think this will help me get started.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1285469/point-me-to-a-media-streaming-network-101-for-dummies
post #5 of 17
No, a player is not your TV. A player is what you connect between your computer or server and your TV, it generates the content to display on your TV. a WD media player or a Roku media player are players, though they differ in many areas.

It is possible with media servers to send content to BD players, though it can be an exercise in futility at times.
post #6 of 17
Basic:

Server / NAS (storage)----Media Player ---- TV.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

No, a player is not your TV.
It could be. If it is a smart TV with a DLNA client and you have a good DNLA server on your media-pc then your TV is your player.
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 View Post

By "client devices" you mean TVs, right?

A "client device" could be a Television, although in that instance I'd be referring to a SmartTV, using either DLNA some specialized application (such as Plex).

So in my example, I have a Samsung SmartTV with the Plex App installed....from there I'm able to access all the content on my Synology NAS (movies, music, pics, etc) which runs the Plex Server software.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Update:

Based on advice I read from Kelson in another post, I just jumped in and started getting wet. I ripped 2 DVDs to the HDD on my computer using MakeMKV. First one was plain dumb luck. On the second, I saw how to select only the audio tracks I wanted. I was able play back both movies on my computer using PowerDVD.

Tomorrow, my new monitor arrives and I'll try ripping a BD. The monitor I'm currently using doesn't offer HDMI input. (grin)

I did try to download HandBrake but my ESET virus software was screaming at me the entire time. Plus I don't like programs that "enhance" tool bars with a bunch of crap I don't want so I abandoned the installation. Maybe I need to try again after I understand things a little better.

After I get the knack of ripping BD and then box sets, I know the next major hurdle is figuring how to integrate stored movie files with the rest of our future system. Our new house will eventually have 4 active TV sites. I know the basic concept is that there is a single file server feeding, in our case since there's just the wife and I, 2 players and that these players have the ability to send output to any of the 4 TVs. How that's done exactly is what I need to understand more completely.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It could be. If it is a smart TV with a DLNA client and you have a good DNLA server on your media-pc then your TV is your player.

True, but I in no way consider the crap built into a display a "media player". It may technically qualify as it may play some files, but I only consider full featured player a true media player. I did the Mezzmo and Serviio thing, no thanks. If I had some weird desire to watch a movie or TV show on my ipad I'd use one of those, but if I'm going to watch something it's going to be on a big screen with full blown audio. I see little value in putting another computer program between the files and the player. Just one more thing to act up.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 View Post

Update:

Based on advice I read from Kelson in another post, I just jumped in and started getting wet. I ripped 2 DVDs to the HDD on my computer using MakeMKV. First one was plain dumb luck. On the second, I saw how to select only the audio tracks I wanted. I was able play back both movies on my computer using PowerDVD.

Tomorrow, my new monitor arrives and I'll try ripping a BD. The monitor I'm currently using doesn't offer HDMI input. (grin)

I did try to download HandBrake but my ESET virus software was screaming at me the entire time. Plus I don't like programs that "enhance" tool bars with a bunch of crap I don't want so I abandoned the installation. Maybe I need to try again after I understand things a little better.

After I get the knack of ripping BD and then box sets, I know the next major hurdle is figuring how to integrate stored movie files with the rest of our future system. Our new house will eventually have 4 active TV sites. I know the basic concept is that there is a single file server feeding, in our case since there's just the wife and I, 2 players and that these players have the ability to send output to any of the 4 TVs. How that's done exactly is what I need to understand more completely.

Thanks to everyone for your help!


see this thread I posted a while back has what you need a (free) software list including clean downloads for handbrake and dvd decrypter , etc .
Hand brake is a file converter and does not read through DRM for that you need a separate decryptor first before using hand brake there are newer faster programs listed in the thread that do both at once. Some of the newer movies can only be read by DVD9 fab decrypter feature
( at least of those on the free list linked below) kinda trial and error or cat and mouse with DRM.

HB is the big daddy of converters to be sure but for just ripping a DVD others are much simpler and faster I rip to DVD 9 ~7 GB if I like the movie (uncompressed) or sometimes DVD 5 ~4.7GB some compression. .iso is another bit for bit option most media browser /players can use all of these .
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490780/free-dvd-back-up-file-converter-tool-kit-avs-members-please-add-your-dvd-bd-software-choices-and-comments

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!

I have no interests or affiliations to any of the of the re sellers or retailers or their affiliates or to
any links or videos mentioned in this or any thread here at AVS they are provided for information purposes only
Edited by tubetwister - 10/9/13 at 2:28pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

True, but I in no way consider the crap built into a display a "media player". It may technically qualify as it may play some files, but I only consider full featured player a true media player. I did the Mezzmo and Serviio thing, no thanks. If I had some weird desire to watch a movie or TV show on my ipad I'd use one of those, but if I'm going to watch something it's going to be on a big screen with full blown audio. I see little value in putting another computer program between the files and the player. Just one more thing to act up.
I will agree that historically the DLNA clients put into smart TV's and BD players have been substandard compared to stand-alone media players -- the DLNA client in my BD player is a joke. But DLNA is actually quite good if you are running a good DLNA server (Mezzmo) and a device with a good DLNA client. I use Mezzmo and the DLNA client in the WD Live-SMP to stream all my BD.m2ts titles. Smooth as silk playback for even the highest bitrate titles over a network connection that is marginal for BD and results in stuttering when titles are accessed over SMB shares -- DLNA has lower overhead.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!
Bad forum etiquette to troll for kudos rolleyes.gif
post #14 of 17
As far as Yadis is concerned Cinavia doesn't effect the information and poster art it displays only the player itself. As far as BD Full vs BD Lite look here

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/08/02/review-dune-hd-tv-301/

BD Full Menus means it plays just like it does if it was in a blu ray player. (All the full fancy menu pictures and animations etc ect)
BD Lite is show in the link above. Just the option to pick a playlist.

If you are going the Dune route just note the Dune Smart series play BD with Full menus while the newer Base3d only play BD lite.( Is 3d a requirement for you?)
Also I don't use MKV but someone might want to chime in about forced subtitles(like in District 9) when using the mkv container as it relates to Dune players.

I have 3 Dune Smart D1 and a Dune Base 3.0 Stream from my Synology ds1812 via power line(home isnt wired) . I'm using both Yadis and Zapitti(software database with cover artwork)
My Software of choice

1) Ripping Anydvd HD
2) Dvd shrink to make an iso image of just the main movie of my dvds (dont need the extra stuff except my Jaws movie smile.gif
3) ClownBD for my blu rays(same as above just make an iso image of the main movie only even though my players would play the full menu)
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Bad forum etiquette to troll for kudos rolleyes.gif

Re / Kelson:

To tell you the truth you might be right might not either . I've thought about that before also. .Seems to be working though what do have 75 out of 8392 posts ?

Without feedback you can not judge if you are helpful or not or even relevant to the topic at hand but maybe some people don't care about that and
thats OK.

I come from a results orientated business background where feedback is both solicited and appreciated .

OTOH there are a lot of worse transgressions regarding forum etiquette and just plain rudeness on the web in general sometimes even here.

Many forums actually encourage thumbs , thumbs down and issues solved etc. feedback so maybe you are wrong?

You surely know what they say about opinions...... everybody has one it just seems like I've noticed that sometimes
for whatever reasons some people feel the need or entitlement to express opinions whether solicited or not or even if they are not at all relevant to the discussion . I started out on BBS before anybody ever thought of the web it was common then as it is now.

Best Regards
Edited by tubetwister - 10/9/13 at 2:46pm
post #16 of 17
You wanted feedback?
Well, you got it.
post #17 of 17
Point taken have to the good with the bad,and unwarranted feedback unsolicited or not .
Edited by tubetwister - 10/11/13 at 12:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Confused Newbie- Help Me Understand What's Possible