or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic exiting plasma business by march 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic exiting plasma business by march 2014 - Page 6

post #151 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Weboh, are you saying ir and burn in happen because the screen/tv getting warm?
The diodes which are organic overheat, because they have a hard time with the load. If they solve this problem, I might be relieved that I don't have to replace my plasma with an LCD-LED TV.

Plasmas overheat and get IR through a similar process too.
post #152 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

Just buy one now. I dare you.
Why, when I already have a 65" plasma that costs a fraction of the price? I'll leave what you're suggesting up to the early adopters (I didn't have my first plasma until 2008, ffs).
post #153 of 475
I forgot to mention Panasonic might consider out-sourcing its TV production. Japanese labor is expensive compared to -- I am guessing -- Korean labor.
post #154 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Why, when I already have a 65" plasma that costs a fraction of the price? I'll leave what you're suggesting up to the early adopters (I didn't have my first plasma until 2008, ffs).
If it is so great, why aren't you buying one?biggrin.gif
post #155 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

The diodes which are organic overheat, because they have a hard time with the load. If they solve this problem, I might be relieved that I don't have to replace my plasma with an LCD-LED TV.

Plasmas overheat and get IR through a similar process too.

Please stop your bullsh*t !

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/31/31344/LG_Oled_55EA980V_chauffe.jpg

Temperature max in the center of the screen 32°C, 29°C at the sides ...
Oled don't overheat, far from it ...
post #156 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

If it is so great, why aren't you buying one?biggrin.gif
Because 55" is too small, and I'm not made of money?

I smell a troll.
post #157 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessard View Post

Please stop your bullsh*t !

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/news/31/31344/LG_Oled_55EA980V_chauffe.jpg

Temperature max in the center of the screen 32°C, 29°C at the sides ...
Oled don't overheat, far from it ...
Why was it called burn-in then? And are you saying it doesn't take much heat to destroy one?
post #158 of 475
Since when has burn-in had an automatic correlation with overheating?
post #159 of 475
Not an automatic correlation by any means. But burn in could be related to overheating if you were talking about it on a molecular level. Not sure if thats what hes getting at though.
post #160 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Not an automatic correlation by any means. But burn in could be related to overheating if you were talking about it on a molecular level. Not sure if thats what hes getting at though.
When my Plasma TV overheats, it gets burn-in and IR. This is relatively permanent, and can disappear with the fading of the TV. If I leave the air conditioning off, and crank the contrast too much, along with the briteness; I can get burn-in fast on my TC-P50UT50. Most of my burn-ins have been barely noticible. But like an itch, they get annoying. They are mostly very mild logo burns, which had alot of blue in white. I suspect blue is the most susceptible and short-lived color on a TV.
post #161 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

When my Plasma TV overheats, it gets burn-in and IR. This is relatively permanent, and can disappear with the fading of the TV. If I leave the air conditioning off, and crank the contrast too much, along with the briteness; I can get burn-in fast on my TC-P50UT50. Most of my burn-ins have been barely noticible. But like an itch, they get annoying. They are mostly very mild logo burns, which had alot of blue in white. I suspect blue is the most susceptible and short-lived color on a TV.
If you say so.
post #162 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Weboh, are you saying ir and burn in happen because the screen/tv getting warm?
yes
post #163 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I don't follow this logic... cool.gif
Read reviews from experts or even people on Amazon, and you'll see they all say if you are within a few feet of the tv, 4K resolution is noticeably better than 1080p. Most people sit farther than that. thus, for me, it would be beneficial, and not for most others.
post #164 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

When my Plasma TV overheats, it gets burn-in and IR. This is relatively permanent, and can disappear with the fading of the TV. If I leave the air conditioning off, and crank the contrast too much, along with the briteness; I can get burn-in fast on my TC-P50UT50. Most of my burn-ins have been barely noticible. But like an itch, they get annoying. They are mostly very mild logo burns, which had alot of blue in white. I suspect blue is the most susceptible and short-lived color on a TV.
It's phosphers aging unevenly that causes burn in. You're talking about changes at a molecular level not necessarily changes that we can perceive has heat.

OLED has issues but I remember when the BBY store I worked at got their first plasma. It was relatively small, had a relatively flat picture without much contrast and if I remember right it was rated for something like 10,000 hours? It suffered from IR/Burn In without much work...we had several returned and our demo had burned in a logo that wasn't even permanent in the material within a week. They still sold to the high end guys that just had to have one.

edit: and one more thing, we had it in two sizes, the cheapest of which was 20 grand and the "big" one was 29,999 dollars...I can't remember the size, maybe a 42 or 50ish?

My point is OLED will probably get there in a few years...if not we'll all be stuck with projectors or LCD based sets in a few years...first world problems....
post #165 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

My point is OLED will probably get there in a few years...if not we'll all be stuck with projectors or LCD based sets in a few years...first world problems....
+1 Beats spending all day looking for clean water to drink.
post #166 of 475
well technically the water and foods are all bad for people even in first world countries. I'm sure foods lead to almost all cancers. Or more specifically, chemicals used and other such things which companies use/do.

Projectors would be the most ideal to use if only placement wasn't such a headache.
post #167 of 475
^True, but modern medicine has combated those carcinogenic onslaughts pretty well with people living longer than they ever have. wink.gif I can only imagine what lifespans would be with whole foods minus said chemicals.

Projector isn't going to work too well for a living room typically. That's why I'm fiending a 70" OLED after I win the lottery.
post #168 of 475
Problem with that is modern medicine is getting better at treating cancer not preventing it. Living longer is fine if its quality living but who wants to live another 5 years ate up with cancer.
post #169 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

I forgot to mention Panasonic might consider out-sourcing its TV production. Japanese labor is expensive compared to -- I am guessing -- Korean labor.

My Panasonic plasma(ST50) says "assembled in Mexico" on the back

My Samsung plasma(e8000) says "assembled in Mexico" on the back



Warren
post #170 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

Cute. CRT are still made, but they are made for airplanes. Built to last? I think either we have either a slow painful death like DLP or a niche market in the making.

Samsung hasn't said if they want to continue Plasma TV manufacture, also. They seem to deny everything, even though their plasmas have innovations too. Their panels are keeping pace with Panasonic, but the circuitry could use more tweaking.

I hope LG decides to do so something now that Panasonic is out of the way. I would put them in the hall of shame when it comes to PDP production.


considering the cost...LG makes a fine PDP

Why would you have the same expectation for a TV with the same picture technology and size that is half the price?

My Toyota Camry vs Mercedes E class comparison that I mentioned pages ago is now relevant again


Warren
post #171 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

considering the cost...LG makes a fine PDP

Why would you have the same expectation for a TV with the same picture technology and size that is half the price?

My Toyota Camry vs Mercedes E class comparison that I mentioned pages ago is now relevant again
Burn-in is rarer on a cheap PDP, but LG only makes cheap models and they still burn-in. They aren't even trying.

The ST60 maybe a Camry, but it is more reliable than the turbo-charged ZT60. The ZT60 can be reliable, but it runs hotter, has fans, and requires more cautious use.
post #172 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post



My point is OLED will probably get there in a few years...if not we'll all be stuck with projectors or LCD based sets in a few years...first world problems....

Thank you
post #173 of 475
Went to my local Panasonic dealer here in Ottawa, Canada, figured I'd better reserve a 65" ST series before they became too difficult to get. Seems I was right, there are no stocks in Canada right now, supply is very tight, most of the allocation is going to the US. Panny have cut right back on production already. At least I have my name on their store demo model in case they can't get any more.

By the way, Panasonic plasma panels are made in Japan, then shipped to Mexico for assembly into the TV.
post #174 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weboh View Post

Burn-in is rarer on a cheap PDP, but LG only makes cheap models and they still burn-in. They aren't even trying.

The ST60 maybe a Camry, but it is more reliable than the turbo-charged ZT60. The ZT60 can be reliable, but it runs hotter, has fans, and requires more cautious use.

I have never heard any issues about burn in on an LG

In fact I have some relatives that have a 2010 model..PK750..60"....its fine and suffers no worse than other PDP I have seen for IR. if you are obsessive about black level/shadow detail...then no, it doesn't play with the best. It should not though because it was far less in cost

what models from LG's have you seen that have issues?

How do you know about the reliability of the ST60( or any other 2013 Panasonic model)?..they have only been out a few months


Warren
post #175 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeng View Post


By the way, Panasonic plasma panels are made in Japan, then shipped to Mexico for assembly into the TV.

no doubt to take advantage of the cheap labor costs like the other manufacturers have

I am sure where the panel is made and where it is assembled follows about the same scenario for any major TV manufacturer



Warren
post #176 of 475

good info,Hopefully they will have a special edition 2014 model.thank you

25.gif

post #177 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Problem with that is modern medicine is getting better at treating cancer not preventing it. Living longer is fine if its quality living but who wants to live another 5 years ate up with cancer.
That is a problem...and not one medicine can solve all by its lonesome. OT. smile.gif
post #178 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I have never heard any issues about burn in on an LG

In fact I have some relatives that have a 2010 model..PK750..60"....its fine and suffers no worse than other PDP I have seen for IR. if you are obsessive about black level/shadow detail...then no, it doesn't play with the best. It should not though because it was far less in cost

what models from LG's have you seen that have issues?

How do you know about the reliability of the ST60( or any other 2013 Panasonic model)?..they have only been out a few months
I might be guessing, but it is a fact that lower-end models tend to last longer.

LG has been recently making plasmas which suck. I also have a relative who has a 2010 720p model, if I am not mistaken; so it is a recent thing.
post #179 of 475
hardeng, I have never bought a 65 inch of anything, but it always seems like those are few in number in stores to begin with.
post #180 of 475
Just saw this on dealnews, are these good prices or better to wait till Black Friday? Also east coast tvs any good/reputable? Been having my eye on the st60 for awhile but admit the camera in vt60 sounds cool to play with.

http://dealnews.com/Panasonic-60-1080-p-3-D-Wi-Fi-Touch-Plasma-TV-for-1-292-free-shipping-more/878603.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic exiting plasma business by march 2014