or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Choosing between B&W 601/602/603/604 for new mains
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Choosing between B&W 601/602/603/604 for new mains

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, I've been debating this for a while, and have done plenty of research. But I figure asking specifically based on my setup wouldn't be a bad idea either.

So I currently run a pair of 601 S3's as mains, and LCR60 S3 center, off a Marantz SR6006, and a Velodyne DPS10 sub. I have these really crappy Logitech PC Z5500 leftover speakers I've been trying to get rid of as surrounds (side and rear). This is in a fairly small ~250sqft room, but will not be setup there forever. I've heard the S1's are to stay away from, but the S2's can be a good way to save a little cash compared to another pair of S3's.

I'm ready to move the 601's to the side surrounds, and put something new up front. From what I've read, here's some reasoning for each:

601:
-Would match the sides well and keep it balanced
-Would save $$$

602:
-Would match the 601's well, and give a little more midbass to the front
-Would still save some $$$

603:
-Would add those bass drivers, which might not be needed with the sub
-Wouldn't save much $$$ - slightly wasteful

604:
-Might eliminate need for the sub, and sound a heck of a lot cleaner
-Not saving any $$$

As my next purchase is likely a Marantz UD5005 or an Oppo BDP-93 to enjoy my BD/SACD collection without the blast furnace fan of my PS3, saving money isn't critical, but that's what it'd be going towards.

Thoughts? I'm currently leaning most towards some 602 S2's.

Thanks,
Pat
post #2 of 7
To find someone who has heard all those models, you might try asking in the B&W Owners Thread. Sometimes people don't follow all the posts in the main speaker forum.

I personally would save my money towards a better sub for HT usage. A good 12" or 15" ported sub from Power Sound Audio, SVS, HSU, Outlaw Audio, or Rythmik would give you better low end extension down to 20hz.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

To find someone who has heard all those models, you might try asking in the B&W Owners Thread. Sometimes people don't follow all the posts in the main speaker forum.

I personally would save my money towards a better sub for HT usage. A good 12" or 15" ported sub from Power Sound Audio, SVS, HSU, Outlaw Audio, or Rythmik would give you better low end extension down to 20hz.

Sounds reasonable. I wouldn't mind putting a better sub in down the line.

Would the 603's or 604's make a sub unnecessary? While mine is set pretty low, it does get use while watching movies a lot.
post #4 of 7
Movies contain a lot of content below 30hz. Speakers cannot reproduce that. A good sub can.

I used to own 601s and found them to be underwhelming in midbass. I'd get the 602s and then crossover a good sub with your speakers at 80hz.
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Movies contain a lot of content below 30hz. Speakers cannot reproduce that. A good sub can.

I used to own 601s and found them to be underwhelming in midbass. I'd get the 602s and then crossover a good sub with your speakers at 80hz.

Sounds good, like I said I've been leaning towards the 602's, so I'll probably end up picking those up.

Did you have the S1/2/3? S2's are so much easier to come by, and it seems like the S3's weren't as big of an improvement as the S2's were.
post #6 of 7
I had the S1s, but have heard the other versions and didn't find the difference to be as dramatic as the hype made them out to be.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I had the S1s, but have heard the other versions and didn't find the difference to be as dramatic as the hype made them out to be.

Works for me...I'll see if I can get a deal on the S3's just to match them, but other than that, I'll look at S2 likely. Thanks for the help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Choosing between B&W 601/602/603/604 for new mains