or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help with Klipsch setup for media room.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with Klipsch setup for media room.

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
I have a budget of around $3k for a system for my media room that i'm setting up. This is what is currently on my radar.

2x Klipsch Reference RF-82 II Floorstanding Speakers
1x Klipsch Reference RC-64 II Center Speaker
1x Klipsch SW-310 Powered Subwoofer
1x Harman Kardon AVR 3700 7.1 AV Receiver

Thoughts? recommendations for a different system? I do not want to do in wall speakers and don't have a place for rear speakers right now.

Ask any questions you need to. Only home audio i have is bose soundbars right now. I dont know much about it.

Thank you!
post #2 of 48
I would go with a different receiver, Audyssey MuttEQ is a great tool to have and makes a big difference in calibrating your speakers and more importantly your sub(s). The Denon X2000 would be a good choice, it has 7.1 should you choose to go that route and all the features you could want.

You can probably drop down to the RC-62 II center, it's a lot cheaper than the RC-64 II and you don't really lose much.

I would avoid subs from B&M stores, they don't offer a lot of value and this is one part of your system you can't afford to skimp on. How large of a space is this going in? Are there any adjoining rooms or open spaces, a sub sees the whole connected volume so you need something capable enough to pressurize the space.
post #3 of 48
Thread Starter 
it's going into a 12x20 room, that has an arched entry on one side that does NOT have a door.
post #4 of 48
Will you have a projector and screen? And if so is it an AT screen?

You are spending a lot of money on those big RF-82 IIs, when their low extension benefit becomes negated when you crossover the speakers with a sub. What I would recommend is you get three RB-81 II bookshelves for your front three. Three matching speakers is the most ideal, and if you can't accomodate a center bookshelf, stick with the RC-62 II. This gives you some more money to put towards the subs because you have a large space to fill.

Three RB-81 II - $1300
Denon X2000 - $600
This gives you enough left to grab 2 Rythmik LV12R subs for $1150

With a big space like that you run into a placement issue with a single sub. Dual subs helps even out the bass response in the room and adds a little output as well. You won't lose anything going from towers to bookshelves, and these subs will be a night and day improvement over that original Klipsch sub.
post #5 of 48
Thread Starter 
yes, its going in a room with a projector and a screen. im not sure what you mean by AT screen. it's the SI black diamond fixed screen.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Feltersnatch View Post

yes, its going in a room with a projector and a screen. im not sure what you mean by AT screen. it's the SI black diamond fixed screen.

AT, meaning acoustically transparent. This lets you place the speakers behind the screen and keep the center tweeter at the same height as the fronts. It doesn't look like that is an AT screen, so you would need to stick with the traditional horizontal center, depending on how much space you have below the screen.
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

Will you have a projector and screen? And if so is it an AT screen?

You are spending a lot of money on those big RF-82 IIs, when their low extension benefit becomes negated when you crossover the speakers with a sub. What I would recommend is you get three RB-81 II bookshelves for your front three. Three matching speakers is the most ideal, and if you can't accomodate a center bookshelf, stick with the RC-62 II. This gives you some more money to put towards the subs because you have a large space to fill.

Three RB-81 II - $1300
Denon X2000 - $600
This gives you enough left to grab 2 Rythmik LV12R subs for $1150

With a big space like that you run into a placement issue with a single sub. Dual subs helps even out the bass response in the room and adds a little output as well. You won't lose anything going from towers to bookshelves, and these subs will be a night and day improvement over that original Klipsch sub.

For the OP this is a very good choice. And if you check the prices here on AVS on the Klipsch and Denon you'll save some $$$$. They also are a dealer for SVS so you could go with dual PB1000s for well under $1K or maybe dual PC12s for about the same price as the LVR-12s, though I don't know how or if they would be better. They are easier to place if you like the cylinder style.
post #8 of 48
Thread Starter 
my buddy has a classè setup that is amazing. he told me to find a used ssp-600 or something like that. says it sounds great but is just missing hdmi switching.
post #9 of 48
Unless you are close to me, LoL, I'd start checking the local USED market/Craig's List.
post #10 of 48
Thread Starter 
im looking like crazy! found a couple of those classè' for around $1500.
post #11 of 48
I'm afraid I don't know what that is...looked it up. I'd rather keep it simple & have HDMI switching; but, that's just me.
Edited by SanchoPanza - 10/11/13 at 3:14pm
post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Feltersnatch View Post

im looking like crazy! found a couple of those classè' for around $1500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I'm afraid I don't know what that is...looked it up. I'd rather keep it simple & have HDMI switching; but, that's just me.

It's Classé (note the accent), from here in Quebec.

http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/specs/ssp600.htm
post #13 of 48
Yep, pulls up even without the accent with simple internet search.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would go with a different receiver, Audyssey MuttEQ is a great tool to have and makes a big difference in calibrating your speakers and more importantly your sub(s). The Denon X2000 would be a good choice, it has 7.1 should you choose to go that route and all the features you could want.
I would stick with the HK 3700, the sound quality is in a different league than the Denon esp. for music.
post #15 of 48
How much is the HK-3700? Street price?
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

I would go with a different receiver, Audyssey MuttEQ is a great tool to have and makes a big difference in calibrating your speakers and more importantly your sub(s). The Denon X2000 would be a good choice, it has 7.1 should you choose to go that route and all the features you could want.

You can probably drop down to the RC-62 II center, it's a lot cheaper than the RC-64 II and you don't really lose much.

I would avoid subs from B&M stores, they don't offer a lot of value and this is one part of your system you can't afford to skimp on. How large of a space is this going in? Are there any adjoining rooms or open spaces, a sub sees the whole connected volume so you need something capable enough to pressurize the space.

The 64 is a much better center. Bigger horn better sound 2x the drivers. Not sure what you are basing that on. I have owned both and its night and day.
post #17 of 48
Since the OP has no room for rear speakers, I was also wondering if the HK will do Height &/or Wide speakers?
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

The 64 is a much better center. Bigger horn better sound 2x the drivers. Not sure what you are basing that on. I have owned both and its night and day.

With this budget, I think the OP would be better off spending that extra $800 on better/more subs.
post #19 of 48
Thread Starter 
here's something i posted on another site lately. i cant commit. lol

I'm setting up a media room at my house. I'm not going to be staying in this house long.

So far for this room i have:

Epson 5030ub Projector
SI BD Screen
Apple TV
DirecTV HD DVR

Id like to do a front speaker / center / subwoofer setup. no surrounds.

Right now i do not plan on having more sources, but maybe in the future adding some kind of gaming system.

I'm on a budget. i'd like to spend $1500 or so on whatever preamp/receiver i get.

I was looking at all kinds of receivers and im not sure whats awesome and what isnt.

I called a buddy of mine that has an Classé SSP-600 that he replaced with the Classé SSP-800 and he told me he would like to sell me the SSP-600.

So my question is, should I buy his 600 off him for $1500ish or find a newer receiver/processor that would be better that is within my cheap budget?

There is a local store that has a demo of the Anthem P5 Amplifier that said they would sell it for around 3k, and that might be what i would be hooking up to whatever i get.

So please, let me know what advice you have. Everyone i've talked to locally has told me to not buy the 600 because of missing hdmi switching. I'm not too worried about that.

Back when he had this SSP-600/anthem/paradigm signature 8 setup in his theater and it blew my mind how amazing it sounded, and that's why i think im so attached to the idea of this.

I also am looking for a great tower/center channel combo. I really like the paradigms, so maybe the studio 100's with the cc-690 center.

so yeah. lol yeah my budget is more flexible.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Feltersnatch View Post

here's something i posted on another site lately. i cant commit. lol

I'm setting up a media room at my house. I'm not going to be staying in this house long.

So far for this room i have:

Epson 5030ub Projector
SI BD Screen
Apple TV
DirecTV HD DVR

Id like to do a front speaker / center / subwoofer setup. no surrounds.

Right now i do not plan on having more sources, but maybe in the future adding some kind of gaming system.

I'm on a budget. i'd like to spend $1500 or so on whatever preamp/receiver i get.

I was looking at all kinds of receivers and im not sure whats awesome and what isnt.

I called a buddy of mine that has an Classé SSP-600 that he replaced with the Classé SSP-800 and he told me he would like to sell me the SSP-600.

So my question is, should I buy his 600 off him for $1500ish or find a newer receiver/processor that would be better that is within my cheap budget?

There is a local store that has a demo of the Anthem P5 Amplifier that said they would sell it for around 3k, and that might be what i would be hooking up to whatever i get.

So please, let me know what advice you have. Everyone i've talked to locally has told me to not buy the 600 because of missing hdmi switching. I'm not too worried about that.

Back when he had this SSP-600/anthem/paradigm signature 8 setup in his theater and it blew my mind how amazing it sounded, and that's why i think im so attached to the idea of this.

I also am looking for a great tower/center channel combo. I really like the paradigms, so maybe the studio 100's with the cc-690 center.

so yeah. lol yeah my budget is more flexible.

I will give you a killer set-up.


Pair of brand new KEF LS-50 for $1,150 delivered (Ask for Don) with 30 money back guarantee.

http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1010769


Oppo-105 for your media and DAC. (Have the best DAC for 2.0 audio and fantastic upconverting Video for your DIrect TV and ofcourse CD's blurays etc.)

Job 225 Amp which is $1,600 that sound like Goldmund amps which cost $40,000. (from same technology just a stripped down version. (They are sold out but second batch is coming soon) It will kill the Classe.


Go 2.0 and it will KILL the system you are thinking of getting. You can thank me later.biggrin.gif
Edited by NAIM101 - 10/12/13 at 6:41pm
post #21 of 48
If you post a flexible budget here you will get $20,000 suggestions. You need to set some kind of realistic cap.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post

With this budget, I think the OP would be better off spending that extra $800 on better/more subs.

I would agree 800 would be better spent on other things for sure. Keep in mind the rc-64ii will cost around $900 (paid around 700 for mine) and the rc-62ii will be around $400 give or take $50. I realize retail is 850 more but street price is much less. biggrin.gif

I was responding to your post that its only a little better which is not true imo.
post #23 of 48
Thread Starter 
um.. figure 5-6k budget.
post #24 of 48
If its a 6k budget I highly recommend this.


Pair of Selah Verita for $2,500 delivered.

Oppo 105 for your Video upconvert and high quality DAC that the Oppo 105 comes with to hook up your Amp.

Job 225 Amp.

Skip the Preamp.

Audio cables from Requisite. They have been making pro speaker cables for pro recording artists for 20 years. They are hooked up with RAAL tweeter which is the best tweeter in the world right now and you are getting RAAL tweeters from Selah Verita.

You will get this kind of sound but better because this video is not using a RAAL tweeter but a Job 225 type amp.







This is the Verita using the Ncore Amp which were very highly regarded before the Job 225 Amp. And the Job destroys the Ncore. The guy who put up this video DIY the cabinets with aluminum metal all around so the ringing will be gone if you go with Selah direct.









This video is with Selah Verita but with Emotiva amps. (Job is 20x better in performance lesser price). Check out how the Verita and the RAAL tweeter and how clear it is. You can hear the breathing of the singer loud and clear.










I know the Youtube Videos does not do them justice, but hompefully you can hear that the sound is very clear, real, and good soundstage.


With the Verita, on top of the RAAL tweeter, you are getting a 7' scanspeak mid/woofer that goes down to 35hz (if you get the ported ver.) You wont need a sub and you will be far off better this way for HT and music.


With this set-up, you are looking at about $50,000 -$100,000 sound set-up that goes on retail for just 6k no joke thanks to the ID companies that knows how to make speakers and amps like Selah Audio and Job. You can thank me later.

You will never get this quality of sound from those klipsch's + HK LOL.
Edited by NAIM101 - 10/12/13 at 9:56pm
post #25 of 48
Thread Starter 
but what about the used classé with the anthem p5 and paradigm studio 100's?
post #26 of 48
Dude, paradigm 100's and the Selah Verita are in different class. Its a RAAL tweeter 70-20x (not 70-10D) with a 7 inch Scanspeak mid/woofer and cabinet for $2,500 delivered to door. You can't get better than that for the price. Plus Selah puts in good crossovers to top it off.

Job 225 will kill the $5,000 Clasee amp and the anthem p5 by a margin. I'm not kidding when I say this amp should be priced x10 of what is being listed for now.

Skip the preamp. You can control volume throgh the Oppo 105. Most pro's skip the Preamps anyway because all it does is add gain and possibly distort sound even more.

The Oppo-105 uses the Sabre reference DAC which is one the highest quality DAC's in the world. Plus, you have the video upconversion for your direct TV and bluray and cd's through Marvell processor. Not to mention it will play possibly every audio formats including the DSD.


I highly recommend going stereo over 5.1 for now although Oppo-105 does have 7.1 HT bypass.

If you get a top quality sound from 2.0, you wont want to listen to 5.1 although it can be a nice addition. Sorrounds IMO are just ambient effects Only a few movies use sorround sound upto even 25% (very few titles). Most of the time, they get used about 5-10% at max and its your front speakers that are doing 90-95% of your listening sessions.

Spend wisely dude.
Edited by NAIM101 - 10/12/13 at 11:51pm
post #27 of 48
Thread Starter 
ive been reading about everything you've told me for the last few hours, starting to figure out how things work. thanks for all your info!
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post

Dude, paradigm 100's and the Selah Verita are in different class. Its a RAAL tweeter 70-20x (not 70-10D) with a 7 inch Scanspeak mid/woofer and cabinet for $2,500 delivered to door. You can't get better than that for the price. Plus Selah puts in good crossovers to top it off.

Job 225 will kill the $5,000 Clasee amp and the anthem p5 by a margin. I'm not kidding when I say this amp should be priced x10 of what is being listed for now.

Skip the preamp. You can control volume throgh the Oppo 105. Most pro's skip the Preamps anyway because all it does is add gain and possibly distort sound even more.

The Oppo-105 uses the Sabre reference DAC which is one the highest quality DAC's in the world. Plus, you have the video upconversion for your direct TV and bluray and cd's through Marvell processor. Not to mention it will play possibly every audio formats including the DSD.


I highly recommend going stereo over 5.1 for now although Oppo-105 does have 7.1 HT bypass.

If you get a top quality sound from 2.0, you wont want to listen to 5.1 although it can be a nice addition. Sorrounds IMO are just ambient effects Only a few movies use sorround sound upto even 25% (very few titles). Most of the time, they get used about 5-10% at max and its your front speakers that are doing 90-95% of your listening sessions.

Spend wisely dude.

If your 2.0 is good you won't even want 5.1???? What does that even mean?

5.1 is the whole point of ht. take away all those channels and your left with a 2ch set up. Nothing wrong with 2ch but it can't touch a good multi channel set up for movies. Saying surrounds don't do that much is really bad advise.
post #29 of 48
I agree, get the Selah Verita, (or Salk Songtower, or Philharmonic Slim, or Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower, they all use the RAAL tweeter, the Ascend happens to be my favorite!) as those RAAL tweeters are better than speakers costing over $10,000.00!

For the amp, I highly doubt you could tell the difference between a Clasee or an el-cheapo NAD or even a pro-style amp such as the Behringrr iNuke 1000dsp. If it were me, I would get either a Behringer iNuke 1000dsp or an Emotica, as any of these amps will likely sound the same.

The Oppo BDP-105 would be my top choice for moviies. CD's, & streaming music. I would recommend using this unit in place of a receiver or pre-amp, just plug it directly into an amp such as an iNuke 1000dsp. I like the iNuje 1000dsp because it puts out over 300watrs per channel, plus if has the ability to EQ or even use as an active crossover! This amp retails for only $299!

If you go with the above, you will have a truly world class setup! I personally like the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers the best out of the RAAL equipped speakers. But I am sure they are all good!
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

If your 2.0 is good you won't even want 5.1???? What does that even mean?

5.1 is the whole point of ht. take away all those channels and your left with a 2ch set up. Nothing wrong with 2ch but it can't touch a good multi channel set up for movies. Saying surrounds don't do that much is really bad advise.
+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help with Klipsch setup for media room.