or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ??? - Page 3

post #61 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I've only used iTunes for Windows for about three years, and I've never understood posts like this. iTunes provides reliable gapless, doesn't touch files on its own, doesn't ever grovel the hard drive trying to keep its library up to date, has a great smart playlist system, etc.
Nope. You can set it up so that plugging in your phone doesn'userart iTunes, and you can set it up so that plugging in your phone doesn't start a sync. Nothing happens when I plug in my Touch.
Nope, and I leave iTunes running at all times, mostly minimized.
Nope. It has reliable gapless support, something WMC and XBMC cannot claim. Plus, it is operable through the free Remote App, whose 1' interface is better than any 10' interface, and doesn't require a TV to operate. For the 10' interface, you would use the Apple TV.
Nope. iTunes is not frequently updated at all. Seems like it's at most every few months on average.

I've never understood the whole quest for gapless audio. Probably because I've yet to own an album on which I actually like every song. Neither Google nor Apple have pleased my taste with recommended playlists, so I've always created my own. I like a pause every once in a while to make sure nobody's calling, talking, dogs not barking, etc.

XBMC should have this feature by year end http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173256

The only things that require as many updates as iTunes are browsers, makemkv, and OS level patches. Browsers have a good reason seeing that they are slammed by exploit seekers daily (chrome doesn't even bother me with updates, auto mode but they aren't huge d/l every time either). Makemkv has a good reason to update since AACS keeps playing cat/mouse. ITunes used to update constantly to prevent Jailbreakers from being able to sync. By default it bugs you and checks more often than necessary IMO, not to mention their improvements aren't usually of added value to the end user

I guess you don't appreciate "The Wall"? It is basically four 20 minute songs and the CD of it sucks. There's a few others. This is why it was called "Album" rock back in the day.

EDIT: BTW, I still have my turntable. It has been connected to 2 receivers and now 2 AVR's and is the only piece of original equipment in my system. I spin licorice pizza often.
Edited by Sammy2 - 10/11/13 at 11:01am
post #62 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

LOL. That is just patently false. The only time I see anything resembling an ad in iTunes is when I click on the Store button, and iTunes has an option to remove the entire Store interface.

My point is this: Apple wants you to use it's sole proprietary system for a reason. It wants an opportunity to market products and services to you. That's the purpose of iTunes. They want you to find your way, carefully guided by Apple, to the apple store and buy music (or whatever). They want you to share what you've been listening to so it can suggest similar content. They would reach into your wallet if they could find a way to code it. Want album art and metadata? Oh, that's extra, too.

Nope. I get the highest quality album art for free from albumartexchange.com and use Mp3tag for 99.9% of my metadata management. I use iTunes only to manually correct mistakes in metadata I didn't catch in Mp3tag. I've never used iTunes to download album art, but I'm pretty sure there's no charge for that. I disable the iTunes feature in Preferences that has to do with "sharing details" with Apple, but my impression is that it's no more nefarious a feature than the automatic scraping performed by many such programs. I don't want it for music though, since I meticulously set metadata and would use it only if it were guaranteed that it wouldn't touch my files, and the button in Preferences has some text that it does download various info like Artist images and Album covers. Maybe it doesn't touch files; I've never investigated beyond reading the button text, because I simply have no interest in using it, and I turn it off.
Quote:
Petty ********. I own my ecosystem, not Apple.

I don't know what that means. I use iTunes as a pure music manager. Apple doesn't have anything to do with my 29,000 song music collection.
Quote:
Winamp treats my ipod as a removable device. I drag and drop stuff onto it, unplug it and off I go. Oh, and I get the album art, too. For free. With no hassle from Apple. I don't care about special playlist handling or any of that. My drives are fast. I can handle it. Actually, now that I'm ranting about Apple, I should also express my irritation at the playlists. I click "shuffle" and it doesn't really shuffle.. it just selects a different pre-defined playlist. That's not shuffling! And I hate the way itunes looks. Only Steve Jobs would be so arrogant as to impose his own UI on a windows machine.

I'll only address the syncing part of that pile of nonsense. In iTunes, I have a single playlist containing the music I sync to my Touch. I drag and drop music into and out of it to manage what's on my Touch. Moreover, I have several smart playlists containing the music that's NOT on my Touch, including Recently Added for 1, 2, and 4 weeks ago, and I can view them in various ways to make it easy to select music. It's a very good system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

HUH? How so?

Because it is bloated and resource hog. Back in WinXP days when I tried it, it also crash the Windows system all the time. That's the definition of malware.

By that logic, I should never use a Windows OS based on Windows NT, because NT 3.51's Disk Administrator bug destroyed a partition on my hard drive. I leave iTunes running all the time so I can use the Remote App without needing to start it remotely, and iTunes stays out of the way. It doesn't consume CPU or grind the disk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

How 'bout the fact that iTunes would change your metadata if the album wasn't available in iTunes.
This drove me nuts!

Nope. Doesn't happen. Ever. At least not in the three years I've been using iTunes, and leaving my files alone was a hard requirement when I decided to try an iPod Touch three years ago.
post #63 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Stop assuming something you have no clue about. It was a state of the art gaming box back then. 7200rpm desktop HDD and 2GB or RAM and dedicated video card.My wife's work PC is a slightly more modern Core Duo dell laptop and iTunes (which is preloaded by the IT) makes it is unbearably slow. iTunes is a resource hog.

Did I mention I zero iTunes purchase on either PC? So there is no reason for it to load any thing. I don't even own any iDevices.

Lol, how much memory do you think it uses? You keep calling it a "resource hog" yet it uses the same amount of memory as having a browser open. I guess all programs are resource hogs other than maybe notepad to you.
post #64 of 253
I don't recall any charges for album art using itunes. These days I've already run everything through Picard and embedded art, but when I started the Music->Phone software seeking game I had a lot of missing artwork in my collection (as well as some wma files rolleyes.gif ). itunes cleaned it up with ease and for free, but not without a day or two of gaining familiarity (like anything else)

I wonder how many people are using Google Music with Android these days? I know a lot of my co-workers have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Kicks butt never having to touch a sync list. Everything is always available, and you can pin as many or as few artists/albums/playlists/songs to your device storage as you want. I've held onto unlimited data, so I don't bother with device storage sizes anymore biggrin.gif

Win Explorer to manage what music you have on a device???? That would be the worst possible case scenario for me. My entire collection is Music->Artist->Album. Also I'd have to try and find a 64GB device to accomodate the size, and convert a bunch of my FLAC albums most likely. Google Music just completely kills all of that nonsense, and for free compared to iTunes Match (which I'd probably pay for and use if google music didn't exist)
post #65 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I don't recall any charges for album art using itunes. These days I've already run everything through Picard and embedded art, but when I started the Music->Phone software seeking game I had a lot of missing artwork in my collection (as well as some wma files rolleyes.gif ). itunes cleaned it up with ease and for free, but not without a day or two of gaining familiarity (like anything else)

I wonder how many people are using Google Music with Android these days? I know a lot of my co-workers have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Kicks butt never having to touch a sync list. Everything is always available, and you can pin as many or as few artists/albums/playlists/songs to your device storage as you want. I've held onto unlimited data, so I don't bother with device storage sizes anymore biggrin.gif

Win Explorer to manage what music you have on a device???? That would be the worst possible case scenario for me. My entire collection is Music->Artist->Album. Also I'd have to try and find a 64GB device to accomodate the size, and convert a bunch of my FLAC albums most likely. Google Music just completely kills all of that nonsense, and for free compared to iTunes Match (which I'd probably pay for and use if google music didn't exist)

You're lucky, my 3GB limit is in danger ever since I got iPhone 5 with LTE. I'd love to have unlimited and all streaming, I find myself on soundcloud more and more lately.
post #66 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Lol, how much memory do you think it uses? You keep calling it a "resource hog" yet it uses the same amount of memory as having a browser open. I guess all programs are resource hogs other than maybe notepad to you.

How about I don't even open iTunes, just have it installed and it started to hog memory and CPU cycles. Once QuickTime player is loaded into the memory, regardless if I play anything, my CPU usage is 50%.

No thanks. That's the reason I don't want any Apple junk on my primary PCs. As a gamer in the past, I learnt to disable anything that's not necessary. Even if it only takes a few MB of memory or a few % of CPU, I want to get rid of it when I play games.
post #67 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

How about I don't even open iTunes, just have it installed and it started to hog memory and CPU cycles. Once QuickTime player is loaded into the memory, regardless if I play anything, my CPU usage is 50%.

No thanks. That's the reason I don't want any Apple junk on my primary PCs. As a gamer in the past, I learnt to disable anything that's not necessary. Even if it only takes a few MB of memory or a few % of CPU, I want to get rid of it when I play games.

Ok, I guess that is my queue to just bow out of this one...wow.
post #68 of 253
Quote:
Nope. Doesn't happen. Ever. At least not in the three years I've been using iTunes, and leaving my files alone was a hard requirement when I decided to try an iPod Touch three years ago.

I can assure you, it happened.
post #69 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Incorrect. Many workplace PCs are still XP. My XP PC (original AMD 64) died last year only. It is very noticeable on an older PC how much resource hog iTunes is. Sure in newer more powerful PCs, it may not be that noticeable, But that doesn't mean it is not a resource hog.

Your argument is invalid on this point. Arguing that a program is a resource hog on an outdated operating system is wrong no matter how long you choose to use it.
Hell, Notepad would probably be a resource hog on my old 486DX2 running windows 3.1 !!
post #70 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

How about I don't even open iTunes, just have it installed and it started to hog memory and CPU cycles. Once QuickTime player is loaded into the memory, regardless if I play anything, my CPU usage is 50%.

No thanks. That's the reason I don't want any Apple junk on my primary PCs. As a gamer in the past, I learnt to disable anything that's not necessary. Even if it only takes a few MB of memory or a few % of CPU, I want to get rid of it when I play games.

Once again with the quicktime complaint.... I have itunes installed... Quicktime is NOT!!
And if quicktime is using 50% of your cpu the perhaps you need to upgrade your Commodore 64 to an Amiga:D
post #71 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

You're lucky, my 3GB limit is in danger ever since I got iPhone 5 with LTE. I'd love to have unlimited and all streaming, I find myself on soundcloud more and more lately.
Depending on the cost/benefit to your situation, unlimited is still available on every network save AT&T. It just happens to come with a high setup cost on Verizon. I've heard TMobile doesn't offer truly unlimited LTE, and kicks you to 3G after your monthly quota is hit. Although this may all be completely irrelevant if you reside outside the US
post #72 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

Quote:
Nope. Doesn't happen. Ever. At least not in the three years I've been using iTunes, and leaving my files alone was a hard requirement when I decided to try an iPod Touch three years ago.

I can assure you, it happened.

And I can assure you, it hasn't happened to me in the three years I've used iTunes in Windows 7 x64. I have 29,000 songs in my collection, manage metadata by hand as already described, and notice these things. I think the first version of iTunes I ever used was 10, and I can't speak about any version before that. When did it happen to you, with what version of iTunes, and what did it change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

How about I don't even open iTunes, just have it installed and it started to hog memory and CPU cycles.

Never seen that either.
Quote:
Once QuickTime player is loaded into the memory, regardless if I play anything, my CPU usage is 50%.

QuickTime has got nothing to do with iTunes and is no longer installed with it, but I find that claim to be false as well. I have Sysinternals Process Explorer visible in the notification area showing CPU usage at all times, and I notice these things. Before Sysinternals, I would do the same thing with Task Manager, and I can't remember ever not doing this, probably dating back to NT4. What you have stated WRT QuickTime has never happened to me, and I've been installing QuickTime longer than I've been installing iTunes. I only run QuickTime once in a blue moon, but it has never done that, and it didn't do it just now when I tried it.
post #73 of 253
What I'm getting as I read the posts is that Apple doesn't really play nice with others. They don't make anything easy, which has to be intentional. In my experience, Apple has provided a pretty stellar computer for the arts (recording, Photoshop, animation, etc.,). Not to say that there aren't Windows computers that can't handle the same amount of running power needed for stuff like VST instruments, but I haven't come across one that hasn't performed as well as a Mac yet. But again, they probably are out there.
post #74 of 253
Let me know when Mac will tune copy protected cable TV but I am not holding my breath.
post #75 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Let me know when Mac will tune copy protected cable TV but I am not holding my breath.
To be honest it still amazes me that I have this functionality in Windows. Why Microsoft worked so hard and developed such a great product without ever opening it up and spreading its awareness, customization, and usability out to the masses confuses me
post #76 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Let me know when Mac will tune copy protected cable TV but I am not holding my breath.

They don't need to since you can buy TV shows from the store on your Apple TV.
post #77 of 253
I have enjoyed this thread, thought I'd chime in.

My home is a mixed marriage....my wife (school teacher) has been Apple
For decades. My work dictates I use windows. So we have 2 distinct computer
Operating environments at home. I used iTunes on an old windows vista computer
And had no issues other than I thought iTunes had too many plug-ins and seemed
To use a lot of hard drive space (an issue at the time)

Fast forward to the last 12 months...got a new windows 8 computer and an
Assassin HTPC...I swore to my self I would not put any Apple software on either
Computer. My wife accumulates reward points for those book orders that your kids bring
Home... She cashed in her points and we got a mac-mini. I bought her an ipad for her birthday
And an iPhone. I must admit... I was impressed with both,easy to use and fun.
I played around with both and had no issues with iTunes on all 3 devices.

In the last 3 months I received a free ipad as a sales reward from my company and
Upgraded my company phone to an iPhone...enjoying both very much. I decided to
By an ATV3 to throw into my bedroom system. I really enjoy being able to stream content
From my IOS devices to my bedroom TV and sound system.

The only gripe I have about iTunes is you have to convert all video content to MP4
(Via handbrake) to get it to stream/play on the Apple system. Everything else works great.

That being said, my main system (assassin) can't be touched by anything I could
Put together via Apple. I still have a lot of fun tinkering with both systems and think
Mountain Lion and the new IOS 7 is pretty trick.

Thanks for reading.
post #78 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

I have enjoyed this thread, thought I'd chime in.

My home is a mixed marriage....my wife (school teacher) has been Apple
For decades. My work dictates I use windows. So we have 2 distinct computer
Operating environments at home. I used iTunes on an old windows vista computer
And had no issues other than I thought iTunes had too many plug-ins and seemed
To use a lot of hard drive space (an issue at the time)

Fast forward to the last 12 months...got a new windows 8 computer and an
Assassin HTPC...I swore to my self I would not put any Apple software on either
Computer. My wife accumulates reward points for those book orders that your kids bring
Home... She cashed in her points and we got a mac-mini. I bought her an ipad for her birthday
And an iPhone. I must admit... I was impressed with both,easy to use and fun.
I played around with both and had no issues with iTunes on all 3 devices.

In the last 3 months I received a free ipad as a sales reward from my company and
Upgraded my company phone to an iPhone...enjoying both very much. I decided to
By an ATV3 to throw into my bedroom system. I really enjoy being able to stream content
From my IOS devices to my bedroom TV and sound system.

The only gripe I have about iTunes is you have to convert all video content to MP4
(Via handbrake) to get it to stream/play on the Apple system. Everything else works great.

That being said, my main system (assassin) can't be touched by anything I could
Put together via Apple. I still have a lot of fun tinkering with both systems and think
Mountain Lion and the new IOS 7 is pretty trick.

Thanks for reading.

I enjoyed reading your post.

Cheers!
post #79 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Most of my time using my smartphone does not involve talking or holding it to my face. Looking at my averages I probably have the phone to my face 200 minutes per month. However, I'm using over 3 GB of data which involves touching the screen. So I'd rather hold a larger phone to my head (when not using handsfree in the car) during the ~2% of my monthly usage than suffer with the tiny screen 98% of the remaining time. I've had iPhones and will not go back unless they do something amazing during another release... small screen with a fingerprint scanner wasn't enough this round.

You guys ever heard of Bluetooth headsets? smile.gif
post #80 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

My wife accumulates reward points for those book orders that your kids bring
Home... She cashed in her points and we got a mac-mini.

I did not know the book companies bribed the teachers with kickbacks!

EDIT: See here for clarification: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494372/why-does-itunes-suck-so-much/60#post_23829638
Edited by cybrsage - 10/12/13 at 9:50am
post #81 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

You guys ever heard of Bluetooth headsets? smile.gif

2010 called and wants its Bluetooth headset back.
post #82 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I did not know the book companies bribed the teachers with kickbacks!

Now I'll feel even less bad when my children don't participate.
post #83 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Now I'll feel even less bad when my children don't participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I did not know the book companies bribed the teachers with kickbacks!


Funny, have you guys seen what teachers make$$? My wife also
Buys hundreds of dollars of supplies for her class every year that she
Doesn't get reimbursed for.

The reward points were accumulated over 5 years. When she places
Those book orders it is done on a Saturday in front of a computer. She
Has to collect the money,cash checks,and make sure everyone got what
They ordered. She should get a "bribe". LOL
Edited by grasshoppers - 10/12/13 at 9:00am
post #84 of 253
Not passing judgment, just was unaware book companies bribed teachers with kickbacks to push their products onto the kids' parents.


EDIT: See here for clarification: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1494372/why-does-itunes-suck-so-much/60#post_23829638
Edited by cybrsage - 10/12/13 at 9:50am
post #85 of 253
After talking with some people and thinking more critically about my kickbacks / bribery statement, I am going to recant it. The amount the teachers receive is actually below the amount of work performed to receive it - so it would be a horrific bribe / kickback. It is more of a "you did a bunch of work for us so here is a little compensation that falls within the legal framework allowable by the government", which is not wrong in any way.

I was more shocked by the statement than anything - and that someone would do so much work and then spend the gains on an Apple device...well... wink.gif


Anyway, I send out my apologies to everyone for the statements. I will leave them in to prevent confusion, but edit in a link to this post.
post #86 of 253
LOL. I love the new definition of "mixed marriage". You need to add this to the Urban Dictionary!
post #87 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Most of my time using my smartphone does not involve talking or holding it to my face. Looking at my averages I probably have the phone to my face 200 minutes per month. However, I'm using over 3 GB of data which involves touching the screen. So I'd rather hold a larger phone to my head (when not using handsfree in the car) during the ~2% of my monthly usage than suffer with the tiny screen 98% of the remaining time. I've had iPhones and will not go back unless they do something amazing during another release... small screen with a fingerprint scanner wasn't enough this round.

You guys ever heard of Bluetooth headsets? smile.gif

I use the blue tooth audio in my truck all the time to pull in internet radio which is much, much cheaper than satellite radio but I have never used a blue tooth headset.
post #88 of 253
My iPOD (the one with hard drive and a click wheel) was last updated in 2006 or 2007). I haven't updated it since, because it was such as pain. Our music library is on the network, and iTunes did not necessarily like it. It took almost 10 hours to update the iPod. I deleted iTunes after, because it was crashing windows.

The only reason I even have an iPOD is because it was the only player compatible with the car radio.

I ended up replacing the radio with one that takes SD cards. Takes 5 minutes to drag and drop what I want in the car onto an SD card. smile.gif

But, I end up listening to XM most of the time, anyway.
post #89 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

My iPOD (the one with hard drive and a click wheel) was last updated in 2006 or 2007). I haven't updated it since, because it was such as pain. Our music library is on the network, and iTunes did not necessarily like it. It took almost 10 hours to update the iPod. I deleted iTunes after, because it was crashing windows.

The only reason I even have an iPOD is because it was the only player compatible with the car radio.

I ended up replacing the radio with one that takes SD cards. Takes 5 minutes to drag and drop what I want in the car onto an SD card. smile.gif

But, I end up listening to XM most of the time, anyway.

My new vehicle has a USB in the center console and a 40GB hard drive in the head unit. Now that is the way to store and listen to music in the automobile! No more iPod, smartphone, etc.

I would love to invent something where when you pulled into your garage your car would connect with your wireless network and update your vehicle's stored music automatically. You could manage it on your laptop or tablet but it would sync automatically once it detected your car on your network.
post #90 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My new vehicle has a USB in the center console and a 40GB hard drive in the head unit. Now that is the way to store and listen to music in the automobile! No more iPod, smartphone, etc.
.

I hear ya. The only reason I bought an Ipod was that the only factory audio interface for my car at the time was Apple. Other pet peeve, it needs to mount the drive when plugged into a PC just to even charge.....a PITA when you just need some juice at work.
And WTF did it rename and scramble all my audio files and folders for?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Why does Itunes SUCK SO MUCH ???