So, I'm looking to get this set up in a clean looking way. I'll hang the TV in the middle and I want to run all of the wiring into a nearby storage room where I'll have the components based.
Last night, I started pulling the baseboards and cutting 1" of drywall off the bottom to create an area to run wires. As I move forward in this project I've got some questions that have come up as well as I'm sure they'll be many more to come. But....for starters can I get some thoughts/advice on these things I've thought of:
1. I'll need to run a couple of HDMI cables from the components (Cable Box, DVD/CD Player). I've done a little research and found that you can actually have HDMI 'outlets' on both ends and run the blue (CAT5?) cables in between. Is this right? Good? Easy?
2. I've also seen that there are wireless subwoofers now? Is this something that can just be added to my current system? Or do I need a special receiver?
3. My rear speakers are already wired and placed on the wall near the ceiling. Would I be able to cut a hole in the ceiling and fish around the top corner and be able to put ceilign speaker in vs on the wall? Or..actually are ceiling better than wall?
4. Any things to keep in mind to extend speaker wire? I ask because there are speaker wires ran to where my TV will be that run into another living room. I'll use this for zone 2 from my receiver to play music, etc, but wondering about any issues that might be caused by extending speaker wires.
5.Do I need special rated wires to run in the walls (behind baseboards)?
6. Is a speaker bar as good as having a L/R/C channel as separate units?
7. Basic train of thought regarding the wiring that is needed:
- Cable Box: HDMI from box to TV. Audio (RCA?) from box to receiver.
- CD/DVD: HDMT from unit to TV. Audio from unit to receiver.
- Receiver: speaker wires
-is this right? is the video suppose to run through the receiver too?
As I was typing this, I was thinking that it would have been a good idea to have my componet information to share. Sorry, I'm at work and didnt' grab that, but know this:
1. TV is a 6 (or so) year old Pioneer plasma (50 or 55"??)
2. Receiver is Integra.
3. DVD/CD player is Sony (has 5 disc tray)
4. Mediacom cable...whatever that is.
(I'll get the model numbers of these and some photos to help out as I go...)
Sorry for all of the questions at once...on my first post...but just really looking for information to make sure I've got this thought out.
Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!!