I was reading your other article:
"My own experience with the subwoofers is that there’s hardly anything meaningful going on down there on the recordings I listen to, and I should add I generally don’t listen to much music that may be the most bass heavy like hip-hop or electronic dance music. 95% of the time the subwoofers seemed to be doing nothing even when I set the crossover as high as 50 or 60hz, and then much of the other 5% I found the subwoofer’s gurgles distracting. I have heard that some people insist that the subwoofer helps them to experience something esoteric like “the illusion of hall space,” but my understanding is that most of the frequencies in even chest thumping bass are in the 50hz – 80hz range, which should be achievable with decent floor-standers."
Let us help you with integrating your subwoofer.
I have enjoyed reading your well written articles immensely today. If you still have your sub laying around, give us the opportunity to help you with proper integration, as it may change your perception on what subwoofers can bring to the table.
Even at your preferred moderate (90db) listening levels, a properly integrated subwoofer should add something to the experience. In most cases I would say that "you can't miss what you have never experienced," but if your primary listening habits lean more towards classical recordings with little/no content below 40hz, I fully understand your stance.
I see you've been a member of AVS since March of this year, right around the same time as your first article
. With that said, as an "objectivist," have you had the opportunity to take frequency response measurements within your listening/living room?
How much time have you spent in the DIY section of AVS? I ask because one of the biggest leaps I've taken in understanding the "science" behind our hobby was building my own gear and testing the results for myself. I firmly believe that the majority of people in the DIY area tend to lean heavily toward objectivism and (as you already know by the people who have responded to this thread) there are many extremely knowledgeable individuals that can help bring your understanding to the next level!
I know nothing about you or your background (except that you are a school teacher that has a part time job at a record store and you have children), so forgive me if I'm regurgitating anything that you have researched already. I applaud you for the extensive research you have done thus far, but please don't hesitate to ask questions. Especially if something (like subwoofer integration) seems off.